Jump to content
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Trawn91

Turn off chat or not

29 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

[CRYO]
Players
56 posts
2,843 battles

Hi captains, <edit: not so masked rant on>

 

As title sais, turn chat off or not? I am specifically asking from (for now at least) CV player perspective. I am hesitant to turn it off, bcs it may actually be usefull in geting some info in, but as of late there is always one or more champs which think they know better. Pinging the map all the time trying to lure me into doing their biddings. Strong words are common as well. Some would say ignore it, but it just triggers me hard and I have an urge to torp those instead. Worst of all, those actually usefull infos will get drown in miriads of junk from said morons.

 

Few examples. 8 minutes into the game I was finishing low hp BBs on left flank, bcs nobody was firing on them while they were citadeling my cruisers left and right. Meanwhile some troll on other flank furiously pinged me and map square where remaining dd should be - acording to him. I finished my run, took rockets and proceeded to search the area (still being pinged, not like the dd would have moved). Ofc nothing there wasting my time while both flanks were dying showing broadisdes. We won at the end, but ofc I got reported by that troll bcs I wasnt doing what he wanted. 

 

Next time I got reported bcs somebody wanted me to "CV spot only". We won with me having 115k on clock (T6 CV in T8 MM). Then there are speschul people who pings me to suicide into Minotaur, Des Moines and Kremlin blob just to light up full hp DD which they couldnt even hit afterwards (me having only one attempt under such AA ofc not managing to kill it). People wanting me to fly from one corner of map to other and back, I dont even count.

 

Most of those people dont even play CVs, why do they think they know better. With CV you have to min max you time investment vs yield for team. There is a big difference between doing my bidding with 100k (translated into 2-3 ships dead) and flying all around the map trying to help (fighter cover and such) topping up at 20k max being essentially useless. 

 

Well, even though it turned into rant, the question stands. Do you think it is manageable to play w/o chat or you think it is better to leave it on and just send those speciments into place where sun doesnt shine (probably getting chat banned- loosing chat anyway)? 

 

 

  • Cool 3
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[OCTO]
Players
71 posts
4,882 battles

I have never found a reason in WoWs or WoT to turn chat off.  I am an adult who does not care when people say mean things or troll.  There's FAR too much tactical information to be gained or distributed through chat to turn it off.  i.e.  Shimakaze at C cap, radar cruiser at D5, etc.  The click commands and F-key commands work somewhat, but not as thoroughly.  

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[ICG]
Players
529 posts
4,367 battles

I will advocate to turn it off for playing single on randoms.

 

Let's face it . You never get useful advice form chat. Most important things can be said by clicking on the map or with that wheel-commands.

Even given a compliment can be done better with karma-points (and of course vent your frustration).

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[XTREM]
Players
1,833 posts
14,116 battles

I've always played with chat on. Recently however, maybe a week or so... I have been playing with it off as more and more it seems to me it's sucking the enjoyment out of the game for me. 

I started feeling this way after returning deep into some single-player games recently. It was so quiet, so peaceful. I missed that in gaming. 

 

So for now and the foreseeable future, my chat is off in randoms, and I'm not worse off for it. In fact, it's less distracting and more.... zen? :Smile_trollface:

 

Apart from the odd funny it's mostly trash anyway. No big loss for me. 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CRYO]
Players
56 posts
2,843 battles

Well I guess I can give it a go a see for my self. Can you turn if on/off mid battle or it has to be done prior (in port)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[XTREM]
Players
1,833 posts
14,116 battles
Just now, Trawn91 said:

Well I guess I can give it a go a see for my self. Can you turn if on/off mid battle or it has to be done prior (in port)?

 

You can toggle it at any time in battle. There is a button to do so in the chat window. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CRYO]
Players
56 posts
2,843 battles
8 minutes ago, Miragetank90 said:

 

You can toggle it at any time in battle. There is a button to do so in the chat window. 

Now I feel a little bit dumb. I expected it to be burried deep in settings, being accesible only from port or too cumbersome to do it in midst of battle. 

One last question. If you turn it off and then turn on during battle, will it show what was said from begining or only from the moment I turn it on?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[XTREM]
Players
1,833 posts
14,116 battles
2 minutes ago, Trawn91 said:

One last question. If you turn it off and then turn on during battle, will it show what was said from begining or only from the moment I turn it on?

 

Only from the moment you turn it on. 

i.e you can't see what came before you put it back on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CRYO]
Players
56 posts
2,843 battles
5 minutes ago, Miragetank90 said:

 

Only from the moment you turn it on. 

i.e you can't see what came before you put it back on.

Ok, so you still can irreversibly lost meanigful info. And are you still able to see pings on minimap when you turn chat off? 

Also I would like to thank you for answers :Smile_great:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[XTREM]
Players
1,833 posts
14,116 battles
Just now, Trawn91 said:

Ok, so you still can irreversibly lost meanigful info. And are you still able to see pings on minimap when you turn chat off? 

Also I would like to thank you for answers :Smile_great:

 

You can still see pings and everything else, including *Requesting Support!* etc. Just not typed messages. 

 

And np. :cap_like: 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
3,159 posts
19,572 battles

Turn it off. Almost no one actually responds to chat requests or pointers. Just use radio and mapclicks. Same thing.

Be prepared to facepalm alot though. Since I turned it off my forehead is bleeding.

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
6,634 posts
10,873 battles

I will never turn it off. I try to communicate in a helpfull, constructive way each and every game. I tell my DDs Ill support them. I ask DDs whats their plan. Ill ask my cruisers if they want a smoke. Ill ask a BB to support my push or tell him, ill spot torps for him. Yes, often this is wasted energy on my part and I know this. But the 1 out of 10 times it actually works, it feels so good. Because you get teamwork going with a random guy and often you can also feel how happy this other player is to have found someone, thats capable of communicating. Dont punish/ignore the intelligent players because you are tired of the gluemunchers. Thats a sign of resignation and im not willing to give way.

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CRYO]
Players
56 posts
2,843 battles
26 minutes ago, ForlornSailor said:

... Thats a sign of resignation and im not willing to give way.

Yes it is and I kind of am. I am always too diappointed when I loose karma bcs I try to explain somebody why I do something (or why I dont). It is not that bad when playing surface ships, but it is atrocious when playing CVs. Since there is only one (most of the time) and everybody are used to legends CV can siglehandedly win anything, many of those simple minded folks got used to blame CV player for their own lack of skill. I may even get cracken downtiered and there is always somebody who talks sh*t about not getting supported by cv, no scout from cv, no diapers from cv etc. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
7,173 posts
245 battles

I leave it on, but i have times where i wish it never existed half the time. I do you use to communicate basic things like ‘push c’ or ‘stay alive’ not that it helps half the time since people love putting themselves in higly questionable positions.

 

anyone that spams i need aa support from me in my cv i just insta blacklist as the person is clearly either braindead, ignorant or to egotistical to understand fighters do not prevent anything but simply i guess worsen reserves for the cv thats dumb/unfortunate enough to run into them.

 

the amount of times i get cvs more focused on fighter popping than actually you know killing and attacking stuff is sad but also hilarious.

i mean i got 40 planes kills in jean bart because this haku thought bombing me for 8-10mins straight was a good idea (i was semi along had a khronstadt with me) and still ended up doing over 100k damage and 2 kills.

 

i would leave it on, if someone says something sweary just make a really good insult then ninja block them so you cant see their reply, or if they spam aa just block them anyways as they will just rage in chat like a mong anyways.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CRYO]
Players
56 posts
2,843 battles
6 minutes ago, CptBarney said:

I leave it on, but i have times where i wish it never existed half the time. I do you use to communicate basic things like ‘push c’ or ‘stay alive’ not that it helps half the time since people love putting themselves in higly questionable positions.

 

anyone that spams i need aa support from me in my cv i just insta blacklist as the person is clearly either braindead, ignorant or to egotistical to understand fighters do not prevent anything but simply i guess worsen reserves for the cv thats dumb/unfortunate enough to run into them.

 

the amount of times i get cvs more focused on fighter popping than actually you know killing and attacking stuff is sad but also hilarious.

i mean i got 40 planes kills in jean bart because this haku thought bombing me for 8-10mins straight was a good idea (i was semi along had a khronstadt with me) and still ended up doing over 100k damage and 2 kills.

 

i would leave it on, if someone says something sweary just make a really good insult then ninja block them so you cant see their reply, or if they spam aa just block them anyways as they will just rage in chat like a mong anyways.

We are apparently on the same boat here. I may try  blacklist method - preventing any suspicious induviduum from ruining my mood/day. That may get rid of those spechuls (even running into them more than once) while keeping info from actualy good players.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[KOKOS]
Players
460 posts
6,789 battles

Leave it on.

 

If you are concerned about the opinions of other players, you will probably also check if you were reported after a dodgy battle, and you will still have a negative experience.

 

With chat enabled, at least you won't miss the rare moments of actual teamplay.

 

If someone can't shut up and continues to trigger you, better mute just that one player. Nothing drives them up the wall more than being ignored, so that's a nice bonus. ;)

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
3,376 posts

My chat is always turned off,unless in a division,in WoT's you ban automatically chat to platoon members even when chat is off, in WoW's you have to enable it,which then opens it all up to the whiners, who love nothing more to distract you from the game,this needs fixing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
6,634 posts
10,873 battles
2 hours ago, Trawn91 said:

I am always too diappointed when I loose karma bcs I try to explain somebody why I do something (or why I dont). It is not that bad when playing surface ships, but it is atrocious when playing CVs.

 

Here is the thing: When playing CV, its a given you are going to lose Karma. And it doesnt matter if you are a god in CV, average or a total potato. You WILL lose Karma. You cant even pin point it down if its the guy who you argued with in chat. Might be some other guy on your team, who thought u should have done something at some point. Or a guy on your team that hates CVs. Or a guy who thinks you s*ck in CVs. Or an enemy DD who you killed. Or just an enemy DD, who hates to see CVs - list is endless. Disabling chat is NOT going to stop ppl from lowering your karma, just want you to know that. And dont care about Karma. I dont. The funny thing is: sometimes im ranting so hard about 1 or even more ppl on my team, even in open chat, that im expecting to lose a dozen Karma. Im coming back to port and got +3. So yea, ppl obviously enjoy a good show in chat :cap_hmm:

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[501L]
Players
381 posts
4,327 battles

Being chat banned there is one thing I have definitely missed and that's telling people well done, had a Fletcher who supported my push in a Musashi sailing fairly close by (after we'd, as a pair, deleted the enemy DD on the flank since I forgot I had HE loaded from a previous round but it worked out), who, when he popped up as enemies tried to close the distance, would cause them to suddenly panic that I had effectively been shielding a DD from LoS due to me just being a bigger target. Most hilarious moment was when a De Grosse was closing in for the ram at half health, DD pops his engine boost, speeds ahead of me and drops torps on him at near point blank range, seeing the sudden "oh crap" as his turrets start to rotate slowly away from me towards the DD whose coming in at him from the other side.

 

Or that he'd lay torps in advance forcing enemy ships to turn broadside to my guns or be hit by his torp salvo.

 

dude played exceedingly well and basically used me as mobile cover which I thought was ballsy of him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[EST]
[EST]
Players
1,349 posts
26,001 battles

So i was bored in game and for no reason just clicked my chat window and now its gone. How do i get it back?

Enable battle chat in settings is enabled but no chat window in game :(

HEEEEELP!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NHSOS]
Players
273 posts
10,657 battles

u can close every player u dont like by right click him in chat...

a salty player cant offer u  any help. He is more on keyboard than in game

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
3 posts
4,300 battles

Chat can be hilarious or terrible just like in any online game. I have it on for frindly banter or asking for actual advice. I do keep my profile private to prevent some of the bitterness some players seem to have in life. (that get's transferred ingame)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CROTZ]
Beta Tester
1,196 posts
8,375 battles
On 11/22/2019 at 1:17 PM, Trawn91 said:

Hi captains, <edit: not so masked rant on>

 

As title sais, turn chat off or not? I am specifically asking from (for now at least) CV player perspective. I am hesitant to turn it off, bcs it may actually be usefull in geting some info in, but as of late there is always one or more champs which think they know better. Pinging the map all the time trying to lure me into doing their biddings. Strong words are common as well. Some would say ignore it, but it just triggers me hard and I have an urge to torp those instead. Worst of all, those actually usefull infos will get drown in miriads of junk from said morons.

 

Few examples. 8 minutes into the game I was finishing low hp BBs on left flank, bcs nobody was firing on them while they were citadeling my cruisers left and right. Meanwhile some troll on other flank furiously pinged me and map square where remaining dd should be - acording to him. I finished my run, took rockets and proceeded to search the area (still being pinged, not like the dd would have moved). Ofc nothing there wasting my time while both flanks were dying showing broadisdes. We won at the end, but ofc I got reported by that troll bcs I wasnt doing what he wanted. 

 

Next time I got reported bcs somebody wanted me to "CV spot only". We won with me having 115k on clock (T6 CV in T8 MM). Then there are speschul people who pings me to suicide into Minotaur, Des Moines and Kremlin blob just to light up full hp DD which they couldnt even hit afterwards (me having only one attempt under such AA ofc not managing to kill it). People wanting me to fly from one corner of map to other and back, I dont even count.

 

Most of those people dont even play CVs, why do they think they know better. With CV you have to min max you time investment vs yield for team. There is a big difference between doing my bidding with 100k (translated into 2-3 ships dead) and flying all around the map trying to help (fighter cover and such) topping up at 20k max being essentially useless. 

 

Well, even though it turned into rant, the question stands. Do you think it is manageable to play w/o chat or you think it is better to leave it on and just send those speciments into place where sun doesnt shine (probably getting chat banned- loosing chat anyway)? 

 

 

IMHO comparing ingame spam, insults and bantering VS using ingame wheel commands ends in  little value of activated ingame text chat.

Once a year I deactivate the chat mod for short to maybe see some nice chat content, which then gets piled with spam, insults and bantering. Playing the Submarine class the ingame chat will be the same random match chat experience level as playing CV.

IMHO the chooseable wheel commands are also far more speed efficient than voice chat and form better players.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BHSFL]
Players
3,690 posts
13,967 battles

I want to be able to read the ligitimate requests for help, backup, a combined action and such.....afterall it is still a team effort even if it is with total strangers of varying skills at the game. In previous ranked the best matches were combined effort matches with some coordination going. Cannot do that with chat shut down.

 

But.....many comments are very tiring. As DD and CV more so then other classes. I do not camp with BB so i am spared those remarks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NWP]
Beta Tester, Players
2,160 posts
6,529 battles
On 11/22/2019 at 6:29 PM, ForlornSailor said:

 

Here is the thing: When playing CV, its a given you are going to lose Karma. And it doesnt matter if you are a god in CV, average or a total potato. You WILL lose Karma. 

That's not true man... I play only CVs lately (as you noticed for sure) and my karma is steadily rising. 

I'm not great, neither bad CV player and I totally ignore pings and requests (unless they happen to be already a part of my next move anyway).

I am honestly not sure what the reason is though.

Also, doesn't El2azer have like 800 karma?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×