Sign in to follow this  
HirAmHelcaraxe

Best starting premium Tier V (VI at most) ship for new player

5 comments in this topic

Question

Players
1 post
167 battles

Hi there, I'm really new to the game and I know very little but of course I can understand that is very difficult to suggest a ship to someone who doesn't know which playstyle he likes, but plese bear with me.
For reasons I don't think you need to know I'd like to buy a tier V ship, being new I'd prefer a ship that doesn't require an incredible knowledge of the game or of a specific mechanic and possibily a forgiving ship. Something like the Defender  or the EBR in WoT terms (but I think and hope this game is more balanced). 

The ship has to be Tier V at least, I'd like not to spend a fortune so if there's no reason I won't consider a tier VI. I have a 30% coupon on all Tier V and VI ships (a part from the Genova and the Graf Spee) so starting from the Marblehead Lima and the Texas which are both at less than 6€ but I also see a Huanghe (Tier VI) at the same price range. Are expensive Tier V such as the Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiya and the Viribus Unitis (both at roughly 12€) really special and worth it? I don't really have a maximum budget so I could even buy a West Virgina 1941 at almost 17€ but it really has to be almost heaven.

To help you help me I can only say that in WoT I'm a light and medium player and I kinda dislike slow gameplay, I like being flexible.
Also I should mention that for the moment I plan on playing almost exclusively CoOp  battles as I have too much respect for real and serious players to ruin their game experience by being on their team.

In the past I read somewhere that Tier VI can partecipate in more battle modes so if that's an important thing please mention it.

4 answers to this question

[SM0KE]
Players
7,967 posts
16,836 battles
4 hours ago, HirAmHelcaraxe said:

The ship has to be Tier V at least, I'd like not to spend a fortune so if there's no reason I won't consider a tier VI.

I would suggest having a sniff around the various missions/directives that are live at the moment; my recollection is that T5 is the usual benchmark, but there are others that are sometimes higher (some of the campaigns). The main advantage IMO of T6, over T5, is that you can play Ops in them (apart from Narai, at the moment) and that's a decent way to earn credits/xp for a PvE player.

Before making a decision, have a look at the ships you can get for coal via the Armory (sic) - if you like fast and nimble, there are a couple of worthwhile DDs in there: Aigle (T6) and Blysk (T7). Okt Rev, although a long way from being fast, isn't a bad T5 BB as well. If you play reasonably frequently, you'll build up coal quite quickly (assuming you select the 'more resources' daily crates).

In terms of price, it scales with class: generally, the bigger a ship is the more it costs (so BB more expensive than DD, and so on). Also, newer things can also sometimes cost more than equivalent older ships.

4 hours ago, HirAmHelcaraxe said:

Also I should mention that for the moment I plan on playing almost exclusively CoOp  battles

This isn't a bad idea, while you get the hang of things, but I would still suggest getting something that will work against real people - most (not all) players find that PvE gets old eventually, and it would be good to have something that will transfer over.

Also, it's wise to pick something that can act as a trainer for your captains from your silver ships.

Finally, at time of writing, you're showing only 124 battles; although you know WOT, there is still a lot to learn in WOWS. The main reason I mention this is that there is a good chance that you won't have settled on your 'main' class yet, or worked out which nation suits you best. Both of these factors argue in favour of cheaper premium ships, as if you find later you're into other things, it won't matter as much.

So after all that, one or two suggestions (assuming fast and nimble gameplay is desired):

• Murmansk (T5): like most cruisers, she's horribly fragile if you're caught broadside, but in other respects she's basically a better version of the silver (US line) equivalent. Go with Marblehead if you have the US silver line though, for captain training purposes - they're pretty similar ships.
  • Okhotnik (T5): hilarious in Coop, with the hefty (for a DD) gun alpha, and the ludicrous quantity of torps - if you get close enough. Rather clumsy though, and harder to do well with against real people.
  • Exeter (T5): expensive for a T5 cruiser - she's quite new - but quite fun to play (no smoke though, unlike the silver RN CLs, although you do get a heal). Nice history there, if you care about that stuff.
  • T-61 (T6): a strong candidate for the best premium ship in the game tier-for-tier, if you like DDs. Useful smoke/hydro combination, and she's a great trainer for 'small gun' KM DD captains (and pretty much okay for the rest too).
  • De Grasse (T6): excellent firestarter, and (obviously) useful trainer for the French CLs; predictably, has the usual cruiser fragility, but still fun to play.
  • You mention Huanghe: she's fun but has quite a high skill floor, due to being fragile, and there being a bit of an art to making maximum use of the creeping smoke (you can say similar things about Perth at the same tier) - I might leave alone until you've played a bit more. Also, both Huanghe and Perth are useless/mostly useless as captain trainers - there aren't matching silver lines for either.

Like I said earlier though, it's still early days, so there might even be something to be said for putting the money towards premium time and port slots, and then circle back to premium ships a bit later one...?

• Cool 1

Players
26 posts
11,714 battles

Battleship are the heavy Tanks or more Super Heay Tanks in WOWS. Yes they are slow but you can´t be deleted in 2-3 Mins it´s 99% not possible. The good think about that is you have time to learn more and understand more other ships.

The best way to skill your aim is, to play Batleships, because they shooting every 25-33 Sec. that mean you are more motivated to make most DMG as possible cause you can`t shot every 5 or 10 Sec. like an cruiser on this Tier. 

Btw. they are forgiven much more then cause of HP and Armor.

Cruisers are the Medium Tanks in World of Warships but with 1 difference! A Battleship can delete you instant if you make a mistake. In World of Tanks a Tier 6 Tiger can´t delete an t6 Medium with 1 shoot but in this Game is this possible and happen a lot of if you don´t know how to act in a Situation against an Battleship.

Yes you are an Fast Player and the Desroyers are the fastest Ships and best Support ships, but if you don´t know as a Destroyer how to act in a Game what your main TO-DO´s are, you and more important you Team will loose 80%. Cause as Destroyer you are the Key the eyes and sometimes the biggest DMG Dealer. 

Sry for my not perfect English Skills. Good Luck!

[THESO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
4,597 posts

Go for murmansk. It was the first premium I bought and have loved it every step of the way. It's basically an omaha/marblehead, but better. Get concealment expert and demolition expert and you can expect 15+ fires per game. Plus it also gets good torpedoes and gun range/velocity. Just try not to show a broadside to too many battleships (not that an omaha class needs to, as you can fire 6 guns in front).

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this