Pivke

Returning player here, bring me up to speed.

22 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
542 posts
3,394 battles

Hi,

I used to play this game back in the days. Last time i have played it was 2+ years ago.

So, yesterday i got this bright idea to reinstall the game and play a few low tier matches. i quickly figured out i was a complete noob again. oh, and my aim is totally bonkers XD

(like i know the basics of how spotting works, and how to torp enemies and to not showing broadside too much... but otherwise you may treat me like a complete new player)

I noticed there are quite a few new ship lines. And i am looking for some advice on what line to start playing. Something to slowly bring me back the game basics as i progress up the tiers, preferably something noob proof? or perhaps a jack of all trades ship line not something thats too quirky. (i am mostly interested in cruiser or destroyer lines, i cant be arsed to play battleships snailing around at 20knots speed its just too boring)

p.s. also, whats up with low tier battles being totally infested with multiple aircraft carriers, dominating all other ships who have little to zero AA defences?

• Cool 1

[NEXT]
Players
33,126 posts
16,643 battles

Then start like a new player.

• Stay at lower Tier
  • Get to know all the classes
  • Start at least one line anew, better two

When you feel comfortable you can go to Tier VI/VII.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 2

Beta Tester
542 posts
3,394 battles

yes, but what line??

are italian good for new players, are french? or perhaps pan-asian?

Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
3,242 posts

Italian cruisers have a very high skill-floor, requiring you to be very opportunistic and selective in your targets, due to the ammo you have (SAP-shells don't overpen as easily, but can't set fires either), meaning you have to focus DD's and lightly armoured cruisers, and practically ignore BB's, since they are often too heavily armoured to reliably penetrate & do damage too. 

For DD's, the French DD's are very fast and are a lot of fun, if you can live with the thrill, and the consequences of not having a smokescreen, the British DD's are also decent.

Also: sent you a return code for some ingame goodies.

• Cool 1

[NEXT]
Players
33,126 posts
16,643 battles
5 minutes ago, Pivke said:

yes, but what line??

are italian good for new players, are french? or perhaps pan-asian?

From the nations you mentioned, only the french battleships and cruisers are ok for beginners.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Weekend Tester
1,230 posts
9,534 battles

Easiest lines... hmmm

Battlesheeps: Japanese, British and French

Cruisers: Japanese? Dont know anything else to be honest. Crusaders are not the most newbie friendly class.

Destroyers: Germans are fun up to tier 5, US and Japanese.

Opinions may wary... but this is my 2 cents.

Players
10,893 posts
12,599 battles

Early this year CV REEEwork was introduced, which was and kinda still is bumpy road. Lowtiers suffer from absolute CV saturation, as tier 4 were overbuffed AND they face next to no AA. No threat from other carriers either.

Ship lines:

-Italian cruisers are very difficult to play, "high skill floor" as mentioned above due to peculiarities of SAP ammo as well no utility consumables like Hydro, while their own unique Exhaust Smoke is almost useless

-French DD - opportunist gunboats with some decent torps, very demanding to play and entirely at CV mercy due to no smoke PERIOD. Also balanced around their Main Battery Reload Booster consumable.

-British DD - I'd say they are "least handicapped" against carrier due to lots of short lasting, quick reloading smokes, from tier 8 they turn from somewhat generalist approach into gun hoses

Also influx of Large Cruisers, ship straddling line between cruiser and battleship as cruiser premiums, as well introduction of increasingly obscene "dpm hoses" which are simply not fun to play against.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
542 posts
3,394 battles

ok thanks, some good info!

im probably gonna pick British destroyers line and french cruisers for start

• Cool 1

Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
3,242 posts

On a totally not related sidenote: Flemish by any coincidence? Pivke is a rather typical Flemish-sounding word.

• Funny 1

[SM0KE]
Players
7,967 posts
16,836 battles
7 hours ago, Pivke said:

jack of all trades ship line not something thats too quirky.

Besides the Germans, I would suggest the US DD line as being pretty worthwhile; for cruisers, another vote for IJN.

BTW I would also suggest joining a clan: assuming they have a developed base, it'll get you a bunch of useful economic bonuses (besides being a source of division mates)...

Beta Tester
542 posts
3,394 battles
15 hours ago, MrFingers said:

On a totally not related sidenote: Flemish by any coincidence? Pivke is a rather typical Flemish-sounding word.

nope, im not flemish at all.

in my case its more of a slavic word. (meaning: small beer)

Beta Tester
542 posts
3,394 battles

Maybe i should have mentioned in the beginning, i already have Zao, Moskva and Khabarovsk ships, so those lines are out of the question.

Still thanks for all recommendations!

started to play 3 different lines from scratch, so i can get the feeling back for everything :)

primarily french cruiser (tho im dying a lot in them XD it seems everyone likes to shoot at me)

and on the side i dabble with UK destroyers (not many games yet, but they seem like good fun). and french battleships (because i heard they get speed boost, which might make them fit my play style)

[SM0KE]
Players
7,967 posts
16,836 battles
4 hours ago, Pivke said:

i dabble with UK destroyers (not many games yet, but they seem like good fun).

The RN DDs are splendid; the only reason I (and probably others) are wary of suggesting them as a first line of DDs is that they can be a bit harder to play than some of the other lines; if you're getting your mojo back reasonably quickly, you'll probably do fine with them.

Besides getting the hang of single-fire torps (and no speed boost), one needs to have a reasonable understanding of the Tao of Dakka (on a ship with - usually - good concealment) i.e. when the enlightened move is to fire, so blowing your cover, and when it is to stay dark. I'm a massive fan of the defensive sonar though - with the coal hydro mod, the higher tiers get a run time of a bit shy of four minutes (216 secs to be exact)...!

[WITCH]
Players
139 posts
5,143 battles

I'd suggest looking at Royal Navy Cruisers, they teach you a lot about how to play a light cruiser and are just a joy to play! I'd also recommend the Japanese and american cruisers too, all three of these lines have good low tier cruisers.

The Italian cruisers are very tricky to play, but very rewarding when you get them right, especially that little tier 4!

DD's are more difficult to play, and i'd go for the Japanese line first, although RN and German DD's are a good option.

I enjoyed the British and Russian BB's as a good starting point.

Players
10,893 posts
12,599 battles
6 hours ago, Verblonde said:

The RN DDs are splendid; the only reason I (and probably others) are wary of suggesting them as a first line of DDs is that they can be a bit harder to play than some of the other lines; if you're getting your mojo back reasonably quickly, you'll probably do fine with them.

RN DDs until tier 8 are so bland they can be described as "boring" - workable speed, workable guns, workable, if short ranged torps, requiring Concealment Expert to make use of them. No apparent specialization until tier 8 and above, when they turn into gun oriented destroyers. And in Daring case, she's quite a gun hose:Smile_hiding:

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
7,967 posts
16,836 battles
1 hour ago, Panocek said:

RN DDs until tier 8 are so bland they can be described as "boring"

I think that's a little unfair on Jervis, but you do have a point below that! Also, I prefer Haida at T7, but I would say that...

Players
10,893 posts
12,599 battles
1 minute ago, Verblonde said:

I think that's a little unfair on Jervis, but you do have a point below that! Also, I prefer Haida at T7, but I would say that...

Jervis is kinda rendered obsolete by Gadjah Mada. And then all T7 DDs are pointless compared to Haida, who have convenient mix of gunnery and extraordinary concealment:Smile_smile:

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
7,967 posts
16,836 battles
9 minutes ago, Panocek said:

Jervis is kinda rendered obsolete by Gadjah Mada. And then all T7 DDs are pointless compared to Haida, who have convenient mix of gunnery and extraordinary concealment:Smile_smile:

Don't forget Haida's strongest point: one of only a very few DDs (three?) that you can get CQE awards with...!

[THESO]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,577 posts
10,768 battles
On 11/21/2019 at 4:20 PM, Pivke said:

Hi,

I used to play this game back in the days. Last time i have played it was 2+ years ago.

So, yesterday i got this bright idea to reinstall the game and play a few low tier matches. i quickly figured out i was a complete noob again. oh, and my aim is totally bonkers XD

(like i know the basics of how spotting works, and how to torp enemies and to not showing broadside too much... but otherwise you may treat me like a complete new player)

I noticed there are quite a few new ship lines. And i am looking for some advice on what line to start playing. Something to slowly bring me back the game basics as i progress up the tiers, preferably something noob proof? or perhaps a jack of all trades ship line not something thats too quirky. (i am mostly interested in cruiser or destroyer lines, i cant be arsed to play battleships snailing around at 20knots speed its just too boring)

p.s. also, whats up with low tier battles being totally infested with multiple aircraft carriers, dominating all other ships who have little to zero AA defences?

First New Thing is.

You need to Pray to the CV Gods at least 15 times a Day. And if they Choose you as the Matches Sacrifice you must Lift up your Rear for them.

Second New Thing is.

Dont Play Destroyer. Destroyers and anything reliant on Stealth is Evil and will be Terminanted by Mighty CV Gods without Warning.

Third New Thing is.

WG wants you to Play CV. And no thats not a "Please" thats an Friggin "Order" so go Play CV. NOW. What are you waiting For. Play CV and Increase CV Population. If you dont do it. WG will Buff CVs and make them more Overpowered in every Update. Balans doesnt matter. The only thing that matters is Distribution of Player Population. If CVs dont get a Fair Share of the Palyer Population they are Underpowered and will be Buffed. Simple as that!!!!

Aside from that there is also a new Russian Destroyer with Lots of Torpedoes and 16x130mm Guns as well as US Smoke Generator.

And some new Italian Cruisers that can Throw Smoke at Full Speed to Conceal themselves as long as they dont Shoot their 200mm Guns. And which have Strange New Ammo instead of HE which will do Ridiculous Damage and cannot Overpen. But which has Similar Low Penetration as HE.

Shouldnt be too hard really.

Honestly said. As long as you Worship CVs enough and Start Playing CVs I am sure you will be Fine.

Only Problem is if you dont like CVs. In that case you should Play something else really.....

Beta Tester
542 posts
3,394 battles
23 hours ago, Sunleader said:

Destroyers and anything reliant on Stealth is Evil and will be Terminanted by Mighty CV Gods without Warning.

lol yeah. i noticed that XD

as soon as an airplane spots me in a destroyer, the carrier player(s) gets a huge boner for me, drops whatever else he is doing and wont stop attacking until i die.

i have been thinking... in these (quite frequent) cases, my best bet would be to just yolo rush the nearest enemy ship and hope for some success?

as there is little point in trying to run away from planes the whole time, and eventually end up dying anyway.

[SM0KE]
Players
7,967 posts
16,836 battles
19 hours ago, Pivke said:

i have been thinking... in these (quite frequent) cases, my best bet would be to just yolo rush the nearest enemy ship and hope for some success?

as there is little point in trying to run away from planes the whole time, and eventually end up dying anyway.

In my view, it depends a bit on the specific DD; that said, a serious CV driver will kill you deader than dead regardless - luckily, they're pretty rare.

That said, you have a few options/tactics available:

• First of all, if your AA range is longer than the distance planes spot you from, leave it off unless spotted or wanting to engage the planes at longer range (p key is the toggle).
  • Make use of sector reinforcement (map it to something more useful than 'o', although the secondary default is the tilde key).
  • Dodge - a lot - for example, if a rocket plane spots you, turn hard into it - this'll often make their attack over-shoot. The other key aim is to break LOS with the opposing fleet - enemy surface combatants are generally more likely to kill you than planes are (in a DD anyway). DDs are actually very hard to hit seriously for a *normal* CV driver,  with some practice.
  • Bravely run away: try not to get too far ahead of your bigger mates, so if planes threaten, you can retreat into a friendly AA bubble.
  • Engage in mortal combat: some DDs have semi-respectable AA, especially if they have DefAA. A good CV driver will shrug this stuff off, but most of them can take serious losses with judicious play. The key thing is to (if at all possible) try and fight only one battle at once i.e. planes *or* ships. If you want to fight planes, try and keep island between you and the opposing surface ships whilst doing so (see previous point about LOS).
  • Don't forget you (sometimes) have smoke - besides the usual applications, hiding from/breaking visual contact with planes can be very effective.

With practice, most CVs are not an unreasonable threat to your DD, and the biggest problem tends to be their spotting; unless you're in an AA build monster (Groz springs to mind), the aim is mainly to make the CV give up and chase someone easier or waste all their time hunting you - in the latter case, they may effectively make you combat ineffective, but they can't be threatening every other member of your team.

• Cool 1

Players
235 posts
7,824 battles

French cruisers are definitely good for noob, quite rewarding, especially against DDs
French BBs, especially T6 & T7 are fun ships to play, T5 and lower are just mediocre, just like everywhere else.
German DDs until T4 are very funny to play, good till T7 (included)
RN cruisers -> they are AP only and light, so quite situational and they won`t live for long, especially the worst ship in all lines Emerald, then it gets better, but i don`t like this play style, for me it`s Japan cruiser line most rewarding, USN lacks torps for the much needed punch, however heavy line of RN cruisers is coming.

RN BBs - i am at T7, it`s OK, but still, not that fun to play.

My favorite lines:
Japan DDs
Japan cruisers

KM BBs (As the russian BBs are a challenge to fight with, you can go with them as well)

Italian cruiser line has a very long reload, but i see that players are doing quite well with them.

• Cool 1