0.8.11 - 1vs1 Ranked Sprint

27 comments in this topic

[WG]
[WG]
WG Staff
8,412 posts
4,670 battles

Captains! :cap_rambo:

Update 0.8.11 ushers in Ranked Sprint Season 10. We’re certain that the Sprint’s battles will delight you with their 1 vs. 1 format, played with Tier VIII ships in Domination mode. Battles will be held within a reduced combat area on maps you already know well. The limited space on those maps will make battles more dynamic, despite the minimal number of participants.

• Cool 1

[CHUCK]
Players
46 posts
12,440 battles

This should be an April Fools´ event :cap_haloween:

You don´t even match the classes! My first game: Tripitz vs Kagero 

Battle duration 2min 59 sec :fish_viking:

The good thing about it: I will always save my star

Beta Tester
9 posts
10,057 battles

The 1 vs 1 ranked feels awkward. Initially, it was nice to test oneself against one other player, but this thrill quickly faded. Out of 8 games only one was decided by player skill. The other seven games just took longer if the 'weaker' ship (in the sense of rock-paper-scissors) was the more skilled player - prolonging the inevitable defeat of DD against cruiser, cruiser against BB, or any non-repairing/not-AA-specialized ship against CV.
Examples: with the small map size and fast cap timer, a BB can just bully its way into at least one of the central caps, while a radar Cleveland (or other non-torp cruiser) might hide behind islands, but only burn the BB from time to time, not sinking her quickly enough to prevent the loss. Moving outside cover will just result in deletion of the cruiser (could happen even to torp cruisers; didn't test that). Similar problem with DDs: they might stay hidden and torp a cruiser sitting in the cap, but if that decently mobile cruiser has hydro or uses islands, they'll not get sunk.

Baseline: outcome seems to be decided more by ship choice than player skill. Personally, I don't like that much...

• Cool 3

[LUSOS]
Players
394 posts
24,558 battles

This idea is very dumb. dd vs cv is always a loss (because how balanced cvs are, ofc.) Still managed 3 minutes alive -  how, so much fun, FU...

image.thumb.png.0ef49de0d203797760d13d00216da123.png

• Cool 1

[UAC]
Players
660 posts
2,413 battles

Omg using Enterprise in this type of 1v1 would practically be legal cheating.... :fish_panic:

• Cool 1

[GLOBS]
[GLOBS]
Players
263 posts
18,717 battles

Played quite a bit of the ranked , and it's a challenge for sure . it's a real skill test .  but I feel that quite a few Captains might not be too happy . 

being matched up in a Kagaro to a Tirpitz was not fun , but matched in a Hipper with a Shokaku , oh that was fun . but the Kaga was a different story .

mind you I found The Edinburgh to be rather good fun  :Smile_unsure: More testing required  :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

Players
1,075 posts
15,102 battles

I'm curious why this Ranked Sprint is different from previous PTS versions where the number of Ranks was truncated. I'm sure the last one I did I got to Rank 1 in 5 battles! With this version we have all 10 usual Ranks, but they are all irrevocable.

I suppose it gives you more data, but Fat_Rat nailed it: it's more better ship choice than player skill, and DDs are not competitive in one on one encounters at these high tiers.

Beta Tester
1,046 posts
8,508 battles
19 hours ago, DanSilverwing said:

I'm curious why this Ranked Sprint is different from previous PTS versions where the number of Ranks was truncated. I'm sure the last one I did I got to Rank 1 in 5 battles! With this version we have all 10 usual Ranks, but they are all irrevocable.

I suppose it gives you more data, but Fat_Rat nailed it: it's more better ship choice than player skill, and DDs are not competitive in one on one encounters at these high tiers.

The 75% WR in my DD tells you a different story :D This mode especially if matched against your natural counter becomes very skill dependant. You can still win if you outplay the enemy ship. The fights against BBs were pretty one-sided though, they basically have no chance against a well played DD with the caps surrounded by Islands for ambushes. Only played against one CV though and he was pretty easy to come by since he rushed the cap :D I guess Enterprise will be the main pain here. Torps against BBs, AP Bombers against BBs and Cruisers and the Rockets against DDs with insane squad size. You might consider banning her ;)

But I don't get this mode either. Make it 2v2 with divisions so you can counter the counter. This would make it really skill heavy. Sprint is my most favourite iteration of ranked anyway :)

Beta Tester
1,046 posts
8,508 battles
On 11/21/2019 at 11:54 PM, powerverde said:

This idea is very dumb. dd vs cv is always a loss (because how balanced cvs are, ofc.) Still managed 3 minutes alive -  how, so much fun, FU...

image.thumb.png.0ef49de0d203797760d13d00216da123.png

I like how you only shot down 4 main aircraft and the rest are just fighters :D but hey, CVs are fine, spreadsheet says so! #Just Dodge :cap_popcorn:

[U-F-G]
Players
51 posts
16,794 battles

I like this format its fast and fun but you aint have to be skilled to complete, 

BB vs BB = most of time draw because they ram each other, 

BB vs Cruiser = Normally always a BB wins because ( if they smoke they cant spot and if they attack they loose because 1 hit of bb and they are gone )

BB vs DD = normally win for the dd without doing much effort concealment is to OP then bb can just avoid with the radio location skill but this will end sometime with luck

The only thing where you can make a difference in is with DD

DD vs DD = most skilled player will most of time win

Anyway I like this format but outcome is most of time before begin of battle already stated maybe some twich that cruisers can spot BB when they are in smoke ?? 

Players
2,106 posts
9,568 battles

I think this 1 vs 1 idea is stupid.

Then I tried it and... I can confirm it's stupid.

DD can easily win any battle except against a CV who will wipe it before it even gets spotted.

And did any of you guys thought about tweaking the rewards (especially credits) for this specific mode? Seems not as most players will be bleeding credits as far as I can see.

Even if you win, you're still losing money as a non-premium player which shouldn't be the case, not with Ranked battles.

I strongly advise to tweak/fix this before it goes live!

• Cool 1

Players
2,981 posts
21,496 battles

Have tried BBs, cruisers and DDs and managed in all three classes although I did find DD the easiest when up against surface ships however when ever I engaged a CV the battle was as good as lost. 

[RAUTA]
Players
1 post
4,748 battles

I'm getting option lock when I finish half of my 1v1 battles.  If I compliment the opposing player, I can click on all the buttons (as in the button image shows selection) but I stay stuck in the results screen.  Only option is to kill the app and restart it.

[STARS]
Players
721 posts

Like it, but improve Match Making: with a cruiser I found 2 BBs, so I played a BB and got 2 DDs...

Players
2,106 posts
9,568 battles
6 hours ago, RedAnark said:

Like it, but improve Match Making: with a cruiser I found 2 BBs, so I played a BB and got 2 DDs...

You found 2 BBs when playing 1 vs 1?

And then 2 DDs?

wut?

Players
641 posts
18,320 battles

It boggles the mind that supposed professionals can consciously develop a game with a rock-paper-scissors power structure, then invite players to play a 1v1 against an enemy that is a coin flip from being either the player's counter or countered by the player (this coin can land on its edge, don't think too hard about it). It is possible to make an interesting and competitive 1v1 Ranked Sprint: mirror the classes.

Players
2,106 posts
9,568 battles

Spreadsheets are saying you're supposed to have fun. 

Logic is saying you will bleed a lot of credits and get frustrated a lot.

Players
1,075 posts
15,102 battles

There may be some reporter bias going on with people either saying how great their chosen class was, or maybe it is player skill showing through after all. I'm honestly a little surprised to see such YMMV.

With all the games I played in Round 2, all of them were in Bismarck and the only one I lost was to a Tirpitz. But I still haven't done enough to try all the combinations and haven't faced a CV at all yet.

Ship upgrades and Commander skills are essential though, and completely different to how I set up for a normal game.

It still feels rock-paper-scissors though as it's partly countering the ship itself and partly countering the player and their expected tactics. Looking forward to trying this out on Live because I think I can Rank out quickly for a change. That's probably over-optimistic and I'm sure I'll get reality checked fast.