Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
SaintGordon

Secondary Guns aiming for Armor belt, why?

9 comments in this topic

[TFP_]
[TFP_]
Beta Tester
158 posts
10,020 battles

I saw 2 Secondary Ships in a duel.

At a range of about 5km you could see quite good, that the secondary guns were shooting into the armor belt.

why?

They cant do anything there, whsy not shooting into the super structure?

One of the ships hat below 1k HP and survived about 50 secondary hits because the did zero damage.

Why is this programmed so badly?

[-IAN-]
Players
2,020 posts
6,837 battles

All the guns, both main and secondary, aim at the citadel and WG told us in the Reddit Q&A's (where this has been asked many times before) there is currently no way to program the secondaries to aim higher.

[SHAFT]
Players
10,321 posts
9,108 battles

Because WG is dumb :etc_swear:?

They didnt used to do that, but they changed it at some point? That made somewhat sense, before they changed all Secondaries to HE. With AP Secondaries, they could actually citadel Cruisers at close range.

But i totaly agree, its stupid and BBs get the most out of it.

Players
8,393 posts
9,218 battles
2 minutes ago, SaintGordon said:

At a range of about 5km you could see quite good, that the secondary guns were shooting into the armor belt.

why?

One of the ships hat below 1k HP and survived about 50 secondary hits because the did zero damage.

They shoot at centre of mass. As to why, because it's the most likely part to hit anything. and yes, I'd like to keep it that way, because imagine them aiming at superstructure. On DDs and cruisers where the centre of mass typically causes still a lot of pens, they'd miss more often due to overshooting or missing the superstructure. On ships like Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiya, you'd not even get anything at close range, because shells will travel in the middle of the supposed superstructure, where there is nothing. Ships with aftward superstructure like Nelson and Izumo similarly would become absolutely lulzy targets, where secondary gunners will way more often just miss the ship.

It's better to just accept that at ranges where secondaries hit the belt maybe you should not be bothered whether a mechanic for a continuous slow dpm trickle works or not, but rather have plans to finish this engagement quickly.

[TFP_]
[TFP_]
Beta Tester
158 posts
10,020 battles

So its so hard to program:

If target is BB, If target is <5km, then aim 5 pixel (or what ever value is applicable) higher?

Yes, WG has the best programmers ins the world then :Smile_sceptic:

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,502 posts
15,993 battles

Hi all,

23 minutes ago, SaintGordon said:

why?

Last time I tried to raise this question was with WG's @Sub_Octavian on his Reddit Q&A:

Would it be possible to give player the ability to chose where the secondaries aim (for example: "Main belt" / "Superstructure") in a manner similar to how we chose the torpedo spread pattern?

Right now the secondaries aim exclusively at the centermost point of the ship at the waterline AFAIK:

8r43UdT.png

And his answer:

Well, this is not necessarily bad - as it works well against DD and also not really changing anything on long ranges. Although, of course, I do see some room for improvement of secondaries.

Changing this node on hundreds of ships in the game, not even mentioning the mechanics of choosing the aiming point looks like very low return of investment though. I am not 100% sure, but we may address secondaries in very distant future, maybe even globally to leverage on this gameplay. However, right now, we have CV follow ups, we have huge submarines odyssey to begin soon, so realistically, I don't see any significant changes coming this year or even early 2020. Maybe some minor tweaks, but no promises. Sorry :-)

So... you have the official WG stand on this...

Leo "Apollo11"

[-IAN-]
Players
2,020 posts
6,837 battles
4 minutes ago, hgbn_dk said:

This was actually useful when the 140mm and above shot AP...

The Nagato was a beast vs cruisers with it's AP secondary guns!

• Cool 3

Players
6,613 posts
10,866 battles
15 minutes ago, Leo_Apollo11 said:

Changing this node on hundreds of ships in the game, not even mentioning the mechanics of choosing the aiming point looks like very low return of investment though. I am not 100% sure, but we may address secondaries in very distant future, maybe even globally to leverage on this gameplay. However, right now, we have CV follow ups, we have huge submarines odyssey to begin soon, so realistically, I don't see any significant changes coming this year or even early 2020. Maybe some minor tweaks, but no promises. Sorry :-)

Ah he is even using the right words, not even trying to hide it. Read it like this: How are we going to get money out of this?

• Cool 3

Sign in to follow this