You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
FukushuNL

Brittish heavies

50 comments in this topic

[BODEM]
Players
799 posts
7,026 battles

Content discussed is still super early in developent, testing and is WiP!

People are probably still assleep while the US CCs are uploading the RN Goliath early previews, as I couldn't find a post discussing the first version of the RN T10 CA, so I'll give my impression here. I'm a bit underwhelmed, to be honest. I am a huge fan of the RN CL and DDs, being respectively my number 1 and 2 line in the game, but might the RN heavies stay like this, the CAs will imo join the RN BBs in being lines I care about the least. As with Flamu, I can't really see the niche the RN CAs will fit in and I thought I heard WG say that they only create new lines if they found a niche for a ship line. And I presume I might believe CCs when they say the american heavies, French cruisers and Japanese cruisers of T10 do most things remarkably better and have utility to boot. So I am curious, I know it's early days but WG doesn't release a ship to the ST and CC without any purpose for said ship, so what does WG think the RN heavies will bring to the battlefield? Anyone wanna take a guess?

[SCRUB]
Players
5,760 posts
14,436 battles
24 minutes ago, FukushuNL said:

so what does WG think the RN heavies will bring to the battlefield? Anyone wanna take a guess?

content

• Cool 2
  • Funny 3

Players
311 posts
14,555 battles

Problem with you and Flamu is that you expect them to be good ships but they can be cr*p like Italy ships or even worse. They can be just bad, i dont see a problem. Its anyways stupid that every new line is better then old ships. Powercreep is already huge.

• Cool 7
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[BOBS3]
Players
1,016 posts
19,678 battles

Have watched @Mr_Gibbins and @Jamdear with HMS Goliath for a number of matches on Twitch. 

Looks a little underwealming.

Not got the range for sniping, the armour for tanking or the alpha for ambushing.

The armour looks sufficient to arm all BB shells and eat citadels. 

That said, I still want to give them a try myself.

:cap_look:

• Cool 1

[FABER]
[FABER]
Players
617 posts
6,307 battles

They seem classic flankers with HE and AP, hydro to help against DD and a british heal to mantain the national flavour.

I think it will be good to have a “classic” line after the rather “gimmicky” French DDs and Italian CAs...  

• Cool 7

[-TPF-]
Players
4,018 posts
16,585 battles
5 hours ago, FukushuNL said:

So I am curious, I know it's early days but WG doesn't release a ship to the ST and CC without any purpose for said ship, so what does WG think the RN heavies will bring to the battlefield? Anyone wanna take a guess?

Historic ships, high fire chance, manoeuvrability, well balanced armament without obvious gimmicks or exploitable traits? You can see why the CCs would be disappointed, following recent line releases. But maybe this one's not for them. 

• Cool 5

[BODEM]
Players
799 posts
7,026 battles
4 hours ago, Yamato942 said:

Problem with you and Flamu is that you expect them to be good ships but they can be cr*p like Italy ships or even worse. They can be just bad, i dont see a problem. Its anyways stupid that every new line is better then old ships. Powercreep is already huge.

Why should you bring ships into the game that are crap? What is the upside on that? They could then better try and get everything they got now into a better shape. 

5 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

Historic ships, high fire chance, manoeuvrability, well balanced armament without obvious gimmicks or exploitable traits? You can see why the CCs would be disappointed, following recent line releases. But maybe this one's not for them. 

Yeah, but each of the lines including the oldest lines got something that sets them apart. This got nothing at all. Even the armament isn't that wellbalanced if you compare it to the other lines. In the current meta they won't do much good for the team. I mean, even if you just want to shoot up stuff without the need of gimmicks, there are better options.

• Boring 1

[NMA]
Players
1,277 posts
19,164 battles
5 hours ago, FukushuNL said:

so what does WG think the RN heavies will bring to the battlefield?

3 hours ago, Cambera_1 said:

Not got the range for sniping, the armour for tanking or the alpha for ambushing.

They will bring more content and variety. And like someone already said, not every new line needs to be better than every previously released.

I find comments like "why would I play X ship when I can play Y ship which is better" silly. You probably don't play 4 or 5 same ships all the time otherwise you'll get bored rather quickly.

As for the role they are supposed to fill. I can only speculate as I haven't played them but  I can see them hunker down and deny choke points or caps. They are slow and cumbersome but they got utilities to defend positions.  

• Cool 6

Players
650 posts

I just wish WG would slow the F down. 2019 has been a rushed mess from the start.

CV rework - still a mess

RU BBs, balans as fudge

FN DDs, torp soup with fast delivery & reload

AA rework rework, still a mess

IT CAs, weak

WG stop and repair whats broken.

• Cool 5

Players
1,779 posts
18,958 battles

From what I have seen they appear more of a defensive ship using their hydro to avoid being dislodged by torps they are more for holding down a position, the heal as long as you don't expose your citadel to BBs should keep you in game a while. 

That being said the guns looked pretty accurate but not great in terms of range so I imagine they will be hugging islands a lot. 

I suppose it raises the question what do people think they need? I don't personally believe every ship needs a gimmick as such, provided they are capable in dealing damage and there they look like they need a little buffing although WG are already nurfing the Goliath's reload.

[-TPF-]
Players
4,018 posts
16,585 battles
1 hour ago, FukushuNL said:

Yeah, but each of the lines including the oldest lines got something that sets them apart. This got nothing at all. Even the armament isn't that wellbalanced if you compare it to the other lines. In the current meta they won't do much good for the team. I mean, even if you just want to shoot up stuff without the need of gimmicks, there are better options.

I looked at Flamu's review. He has grumbles, and that's fine. Tier X is increasingly difficult to balance, but they can't keep adding ship lines which immediately top whatever is already out there. To me it looks as if the ship needs a little buff to manoeuvrability and more of an AP salvo whack. This isn't a ship which smothers opponents with high RoF, it's more of a fencer at range with the potential to whack hard when the range closes. 

[ENUF_]
Beta Tester
309 posts
17,142 battles

I thought and was hoping for them to be close quarters cruiser. Good at close range and bad at long range. But looking at their armor and DPM they don't look to be good at either.

[TTT]
Players
1,451 posts
13,349 battles
2 hours ago, Bics93 said:

They seems classic flankers with HE and AP, hydro to help against DD and a british heal to mantain the national flavour.

I think it will be good to have a “classic” line after the rather “gimmicky” French DDs and Italian CAs...  

I agree. :)

And frankly am happy that this Ships look like they are in the middle to everything.

• Cool 2

[OCTO]
Players
392 posts
8,226 battles

They might end up like the German cruiser line... forgotten.

Plus they are ugly as f.ck

• Funny 1

[SCRUB]
Supertester, Players, Sailing Hamster
3,405 posts
4,189 battles
5 hours ago, Cambera_1 said:

Have watched @Mr_Gibbins and @Jamdear with HMS Goliath for a number of matches on Twitch. 

Looks a little underwealming.

That said, I still want to give them a try myself.

:cap_look:

Idk man, 66'600 AP broadside weight seems hefty enough against most cruisers... 

• Cool 1

[HOO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
3,242 posts

5N3cx5t.png

If one prefers the Genova over the Hawkins (both T5 heavy cruisers)... You know something is amiss.

[-TPF-]
Players
4,018 posts
16,585 battles

The Hawkins was always going to be a difficult ship to sell. I think she's a Tier IV, really. Tier V should really be York.

[ICG]
Players
529 posts
4,352 battles
7 hours ago, Yamato942 said:

The power creep isn't  that huge in this game. It is still a fact that the oldest lines in this game are still more than competitive. 

For the rest agree with you. New lines don't  need to be the best new thing. Pretty sure  that there will be changes to the Italians if needed.

[BODEM]
Players
799 posts
7,026 battles
8 minutes ago, Captn_Crap said:

I thought and was hoping for them to be close quarters cruiser. Good at close range and bad at long range. But looking at their armor and DPM they don't look to be good at either.

Well, this was what I hoped the RN CAs would be a bit, hearing about their stats. I really don't need a lot of utility, I think the heal and hydro are more than enough, but it would be nice if they would be a bit more tanky then. Able to hold out of a bit longer than other ships of their kind, take a beating and live to tell the tale. But they can't take hits from the side (logically) but their front and rear are easilly overmatched and they got a huge flat citadel behind the papar hull.

[FABER]
[FABER]
Players
617 posts
6,307 battles
3 minuti fa, FukushuNL ha scritto:

Well, this was what I hoped the RN CAs would be a bit, hearing about their stats. I really don't need a lot of utility, I think the heal and hydro are more than enough, but it would be nice if they would be a bit more tanky then. Able to hold out of a bit longer than other ships of their kind, take a beating and live to tell the tale. But they can't take hits from the side (logically) but their front and rear are easilly overmatched and they got a huge flat citadel behind the papar hull.

Goliath has a 40mm deck however, something that tier 10 flankers don’t have and that can save you from some nasty 431+mm overmatches at long ranges... 

[CAIN]
Players
4,518 posts
19,091 battles
1 hour ago, Fatal_Ramses said:

I just wish WG would slow the F down. 2019 has been a rushed mess from the start.

CV rework - still a mess

RU BBs, balans as fudge

FN DDs, torp soup with fast delivery & reload

AA rework rework, still a mess

IT CAs, strong IF played correctly - like every other cruiser line

WG stop and repair whats broken.

FTFY

34 minutes ago, The_Reichtangle said:

I agree. :)

And frankly am happy that this Ships look like they are in the middle to everything.

Exactly.

• Cool 1

[BOBS3]
Players
1,016 posts
19,678 battles
46 minutes ago, piritskenyer said:

Idk man, 66'600 AP broadside weight seems hefty enough against most cruisers... 

Too many AP salvos seemed to bounce/shatter so that the actual damage was lacking.

But like I said I was watching not playing.

I want to try them for myself...

[FABER]
[FABER]
Players
617 posts
6,307 battles
20 minuti fa, Cambera_1 ha scritto:

Too many AP salvos seemed to bounce/shatter so that the actual damage was lacking.

But like I said I was watching not playing.

I want to try them for myself...

AP are like Des Moines/Hindenburg as far penetration is concerned, slighty inferior to high velocity guns of Zao and Venezia, but they can overmatch 16mm like Henri ones, so they have their niche, but HE with IFHE seems your main ammo, with AP as good situational tool against broadside.

• Cool 1

[BOBS3]
Players
1,016 posts
19,678 battles
16 minutes ago, Bics93 said:

AP are like Des Moines/Hindenburg as far penetration is concerned, slighty inferior to high velocity guns of Zao and Venezia, but they can overmatch 16mm like Henri ones, so they have their niche, but HE with IFHE seems your main ammo, with AP as good situational tool against broadside.

Pen/bounce angles were more like Hindenburg's than DM's.

You are probably right about the need to use HE for the bulk of damage. I don't know if IFHE was in use - sorry, it isn't a typical skill for Heavy Cruisers.