Server Restart - On the 17/09 the server will be unavailable for 1 hour Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
valoaa

Smoke fire detection for high tier Italian cruisers

11 comments in this topic

[POMF]
Players
145 posts
10,175 battles

It's already painful enough at around 8km for tier 7/8, but just about acceptable.

But 9.7km or so smoke fire detection for tier 9 and 10 is just too much. Smoke is one of their only gimmicks, give them a chance...!

Thoughts?

Bonus rant, why would torps drop from 2x4 to 2x3 from Brindisi to Venezia? I see no logic behind this, especially as they are complete paper ships. *Does italian hand signals with both hands*

• Cool 1

[XTREM]
Players
2,246 posts
16,086 battles

It's high by design, because these ships are not meant to fire from their smoke in the way mino or smolensk can. The purpose of their smoke is purely to break enemy line of sight, or as emergency cover on demand if caught in a bad spot, even while at full speed.

This is enough I think. 

EDIT: It's also worth noting smoke detection after firing scales up in range with respect to gun calibre. It's high given the fact they mount 203s. 

• Cool 5

[BS4]
Players
1,542 posts
8,449 battles
42 minutes ago, valoaa said:

It's already painful enough at around 8km for tier 7/8, but just about acceptable.

But 9.7km or so smoke fire detection for tier 9 and 10 is just too much. Smoke is one of their only gimmicks, give them a chance...!

Thoughts?

24 minutes ago, Miragetank90 said:

It's high by design, because these ships are not meant to fire from their smoke in the way mino or smolensk can. The purpose of their smoke is purely to break enemy line of sight, or as emergency cover on demand if caught in a bad spot, even while at full speed.

This. Just don't fire when smoked up. Its just not worth it in these things. Use it to escape or as a stealth sprint between islands if close enough. These things seem to have a very high detectability Stats even after CE and flags applied.

[-TPF-]
Players
4,901 posts
20,008 battles
2 hours ago, SeaWolf7 said:

This. Just don't fire when smoked up. Its just not worth it in these things.

It's not worth it at any Tier. These are very statty boats.... you need to know your smoke firing penalty, along with a whole pile of other things....

• Cool 1

Players
4,796 posts
7,728 battles
3 hours ago, Miragetank90 said:

EDIT: It's also worth noting smoke detection after firing scales up in range with respect to gun calibre. It's high given the fact they mount 203s. 

Do the T9/10 mount bigger 203's?

[XTREM]
Players
2,246 posts
16,086 battles
2 hours ago, Capra76 said:

Do the T9/10 mount bigger 203's?

It's a general rule that the penalty for larger guns is higher as compared to 152s, and 127s, and so on is what I'm saying. You can check it yourself. 

The bigger difference from 9/10 as compared to lower tiers, despite having the same calibre is obviously a result of arbitrary balance, as we see elsewhere on other ships for all kinds of metrics. 

Not to mention, they both have more main guns, so. 

[THESO]
[THESO]
4,543 posts
14,012 battles
15 hours ago, Miragetank90 said:

The purpose of their smoke is purely to break enemy line of sight, or as emergency cover on demand if caught in a bad spot, even while at full speed. 

he is right you know?

smoke is just oh crap! button..

I need to turn... I need to turn...

not now.. not now.. not now..

NOW!!! HHHMMMMMGGGGG!!!!

I'm ok... I'm ok... I'm ok..

Is that a yamato looking at me?? my beautiful broadside..

YAMATO!! Oh CRAP!!! (smoke activates)

• Funny 1

[TTT]
[TTT]
Players
1,626 posts
13,943 battles
15 hours ago, valoaa said:

Thoughts?

use the Fuelsmoke as intended as a defensive meassure or to creep up on something unsuspecting?

3 Torps but one mainturret gained... think thats a PRETTY impressive deal.....

9 minutes ago, Excavatus said:

I need to turn... I need to turn...

not now.. not now.. not now..

NOW!!! HHHMMMMMGGGGG!!!!

I'm ok... I'm ok... I'm ok..

Is that a yamato looking at me?? my beautiful broadside..

YAMATO!! Oh CRAP!!! (smoke activates)

its more like ...

Okay one last salvo,*BANG*

SMOKE SMOKE turn out

Present nice Angle and 40mm Behind to enemy.

*KITING MODE ENGAGED*

• Funny 1

[POMF]
Players
145 posts
10,175 battles

Fair enough, obviously I see it's benifits as a defensive measure.

Venezia is 9.9 not 9.7 as I previously stated, so even worse.

My ain gripe was that it's steeply increased despite having 203mm from tier 6. But yes. - "Compagno di equilibrio!:Smile_trollface:
". 

• Cool 1

Players
1,217 posts
13,891 battles

Well i havent really used the italians much yet, but it would occur to me as though they greatly benefit from the LoS reset change. 
So when your fuel smoke or whatever its called is about to go down, stop firing, and if you dont fire for 2s you can go dark even if you were detected while shooting in smoke, right?
Since it does count as a LoS-breaking mechanic

[OCTO]
Players
72 posts
4,953 battles

I agree OP, it doesn't need to be super powered but 8km is far from overpowered.  While I agree with the current principle, it's still absurd to me that the Smolensk smoke firing penalty is the same or less than it's hydro range, so you can't spot it as a DD without getting perma spotted by hydro.  The whole gun caliber related to other mechanic needs to change now that we have large light cruisers with more modern smaller caliber guns benefiting immensely and probably unintentionally from gimmick mechanics like superior concealment in smoke and range captain skills added for DD purposes.  

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this