Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Verblonde

Thoughts on Italian cruiser captain builds?

15 comments in this topic

[SM0KE]
Players
6,400 posts
14,928 battles

So, against my better judgment, I've been playing the Italian cruisers - mainly Coop so far, but eventually with a view to playing proper games.

Do people have any strong views on how to build an Italian cruiser captain (besides "Are you mad, sir - play something else!?")?

For the T7, my first ten points were: PT, AR, SI (because you can't really start fires), and CE. What would people suggest after that?

I currently also have JoaT, plus a couple of points not assigned, but I'm not a cruiser meister, so am a bit bewildered; I was wondering about TA, but I'm not convinced an extra 5 knots will make any difference given how slow the starting torp speed is...

• Cool 1

Players
10,263 posts
12,019 battles

PT-AR-SI-CE seems to be baseline. No HE to worry about, EM could see some use as Trento and Zara tend to struggle keeping guns on targets during maneuvers. Otherwise? Not much else to invest into, so "captain done" by lvl 12:Smile_smile:

• Cool 2

[SM0KE]
Players
6,400 posts
14,928 battles
3 minutes ago, Panocek said:

Not much else to invest into, so "captain done" by lvl 12

I call that a result then! Many thanks!

• Cool 1

[ZEN]
Players
1,313 posts
14,194 battles

You can go Vigilance to mitigate the lack of hydro... might allow you on occasion to dodge DW torps...

Maybe incoming fire alert so you get a little warning before a BB Blaps you.

As was said Expert Marksman is also a decent pick as even with a slow rudder the turrets turn even worse...

Maybe PM due to nothing else worth picking?

• Cool 1

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,317 posts
5,724 battles

I run PT, LS, BoS (now that's a odd one) and CE. So far worked surprisingly well.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Weekend Tester
1,123 posts
8,709 battles

Are you mad sir! How can you not play Italian?!? They are splendid indeed!

Like no joke, i actually love both the ships and SAP. 

Anyway... this is something im aiming for:

Genova:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.d113f530411337dfaa1cf8ea90c631a0.png

Montecuccoli, Trento, Zara, Amalfi, Brindisi and *Venezia*

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.58a1600ec5d53223ea56c7ce3d51375c.png

You can choose between Jack or TA... personally i like having reduced cooldowns across the board... since i play these ships at range anyways it's useful to have better ranged torps.

Venezia(Luigi Sensipasta), im thinking more of the same from the previous examples but dont know how to integrate TA, if at all...

• Cool 1

[THESO]
Players
1,362 posts
16,939 battles

I am curious: Did anybody go for the special smoke upgrade? Usually it is used for creeping smoke, although on italian ships it only increases smoke duration from 25s to 32.5s. Could however make the difference between a safe escape/yolo and death.

How much of an overlap is there of the skills for italian CAs and the Giulio Cesare? Cause I got the BB and a dedicated captain for a premium ship is a bit of a luxury.

What modules do you take for which ship? The ITA-CAs seem squishy, but probably not enough to go for last stand. So does your rudder get knocked out a lot or rather the engine?

[CU]
Players
266 posts
22,304 battles

Full mobility build for modules and pretty standard cruiser captain skills personally (with RPF and vigilance if intending to be aggressive with the smoke). At range they play rather like French cruisers, just without speedboost.

When they were in test I did try secondary spec with some of the higher tiers just for the lols of rushing at lone enemies with the smoke and not using main guns till up close. While it was funny to have a  smokescreen charging people down spitting torps and secondary fire out at 35knots it sadly wasn't very good :)

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1

Players
2,147 posts
16,419 battles

Since IFHE and DE aren't applicable on these ships, it's fairly straightforward, bog standard 10 pt base build of PT, AR, SI and CE. After that, thankfully there's options not limited by the need for stuff like IFHE: I'm currently considering going with RPF, EL, PM, potentially get some cooldowns lower with the last 3 points. Torpedo acceleration might be interesting with Sansonetti, as it gets the improved version (7kt vs 5, if memory serves). 58kt torps aren't exactly fast, but it's a far cry from 51, and even with the range reduction to 9.6 km I bet you'd get more hits. I definitely feel expert loader will make a difference to be able to quickly punish broadsiding cruisers. Will give this more thought when I actually grind that collection for the italian captain.

• Cool 2

[BS4]
Players
1,390 posts
7,591 battles
4 hours ago, Captain_Newman said:

I definitely feel expert loader will make a difference to be able to quickly punish broadsiding cruisers.

Definitely a priority for these ships along with AR.

[ZENIT]
Players
66 posts

PT, AR, SI, CE, RPF. EM, EL, TA (tier X has 56 kt torps so with TA you get a good 61 kt or 63 with luigi, with the good firing angles it's quite useful and you still have 10.8 range)

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this