You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
invicta2012

Cruiser Conundrum

41 comments in this topic

[-TPF-]
Players
4,932 posts
20,111 battles

Hello.

I have around 12k doubloons wanting to spent and I feel like going against type and buying a mid-Tier Cruiser.

So here are the choices, and my thoughts.

Atago - this seems to be quite good. 

Wichita - Hmm. Sounds interesting, but Tier VIII is the point where I gave up playing American cruisers. Time to try again, or just re-buy Baltimore and L2P?

Duca Degli Abruzzi - well, I like Duca D'Aosta, but I think Tier VII might be too high for this sort of CL.

Boise / NdJ - had this on trial, enjoyed it, but it's just a Helena, isn't it?

Indianapolis - well, I like New Orleans. But do I want to be within 9k of other ships to make use of her radar?

Perth - I have Huang He and Leander (with a Perma Camo) - do I need this.

Oh, and feel free to look at my stats and LOL.  :) XD

• Cool 4

[SM0KE]
Players
7,506 posts
16,047 battles
7 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

I'm probably a strong candidate for 'worst cruiser player on the server' (I'm less bad in DDs), but Boise might be worth a look - quite apart from anything, with the heal (which Helena lacks) it's very good in Narai. So, at the very least, you'll get some decent returns from that. Get Boise though, rather than NDJ - the latter suffers from the whole 'single premium nation' thing, so you'll have to blow a lot of captain xp on getting said captain to a respectable level...

Besides that, I like Atago too (nice balance between guns and torps, plus a heal), but there isn't much to do with it apart from randoms, if you find you hate it...

• Cool 1

[DC_DK]
Players
3,162 posts
36,209 battles

Boise shorter range and no aircraft than Helena but RN cruiser super heal .. Wichita Same guns as New Orleans so completely different guns vs Baltimore super heavy AP shells. So if you liked New Orleans you'll probably like Wichita

[-MM]
Weekend Tester
345 posts
9,802 battles
12 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

Hello.

I have around 12k doubloons wanting to spent and I feel like going against type and buying a mid-Tier Cruiser.

Wichita - Hmm. Sounds interesting, but Tier VIII is the point where I gave up playing American cruisers. Time to try again, or just re-buy Baltimore and L2P?

Duca Degli Abruzzi - well, I like Duca D'Aosta, but I think Tier VII might be too high for this sort of CL.

Indianapolis - well, I like New Orleans. But do I want to be within 9k of other ships to make use of her radar?

Have all of them

- Atago = underwhelming now

- Witchita = under-rated 

- Abruzzi = lovely kite master

- Boise/NdJ = nice DPM

- Indy = feeling its age

- Perth = rolling smoke screen lolz

[CAIN]
Players
4,968 posts
21,009 battles
33 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

Hello.

Atago : good boat, if you know how to play IJN cruisers. You'll see a lot of TX games.

Wichita: don't have her yet, but i hear good things about her and she's on my to-buy list. Same as above tho. Also, play Baltimore before you buy.

Duca D. Abruzzi: decent-ish ship, D'Aosta is better tho.

Boise/NdJ: great ships

Indianapolis: meh. Play Pensacola instead. Pretty much the same playstyle (minus the radar), but a slightly more surviveable and free on top.

Perth: Huang He with two more guns and a better consumeable load out, and overall the better ship.

My suggestion would be:

1. Perth

2. Boise/ NdJ

3. Duca

4. Wichita/ Atago

5. Krasny Krim

6. Marblehead

7. Emden

12. Hermelin

360. Indianapolis

• Cool 3

[-NFG-]
[-NFG-]
Players
216 posts
7,605 battles

Abruzzi is much weaker than Aosta for multiple reasons.  Still better than the SAP junk boats however.  4/10

Boise is Helena with a gigantic british cruiser heal and is rather lovely  8/10

Perth is similar to HuangHe yes, but if you love it then you'll love perth too 8/10

Indi is basically a pre-change T7 Pensa minus one gun - but with one of the rare radars at T7.  Made of paper though 5/10

Atago is better than any of the silver Japanese CAs due to the heal and the far superior torp angles  9/10

• Cool 5

[-TPF-]
Players
4,932 posts
20,111 battles

Thank you all. This is good advice. 

33 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

Boise might be worth a look - quite apart from anything, with the heal (which Helena lacks) it's very good in Narai. So, at the very least, you'll get some decent returns from that. 

That's the thing right there, really. Buying a Tier VIII means committing to a life of low Tier games with no operations to use as a resource sink. And if L2P Tier VIII is the game then I have a Hipper, and an Edinburgh, to use for that. But still.  I see Atago out doing good things, rather than exploding (which seems to be Mogami's job).

Ah well, Atago,  Duca, Boise or Perth. Hmm.....

25 minutes ago, Jethro_Grey said:

My suggestion would be:

1. Perth

2. Boise/ NdJ

3. Duca

4. Wichita/ Atago

5. Krasny Krim

6. Marblehead

7. Emden

I already have a Krasny Kyrm, and a Murmansk, and an evil German Cyberman (Emden). All good fun. 

• Cool 1

Players
223 posts
4,845 battles

i'd go a different way. Lazo. sits at Tier 7 which is a sweet spot, it's fast,  has soviet laser rail guns, uses special spotter plane with 10 second reload (or 15 with "normal" non-premium consumable, which is almost the same) that gives you 20km firing range and, of course, it's a premium that prints credits. 

• Cool 3

[CAIN]
Players
4,968 posts
21,009 battles
10 minutes ago, iTchyfoot said:

i'd go a different way. Lazo. sits at Tier 7 which is a sweet spot, it's fast,  has soviet laser rail guns, uses special spotter plane with 10 second reload (or 15 with "normal" non-premium consumable, which is almost the same) that gives you 20km firing range and, of course, it's a premium that prints credits. 

True, good ship. 

But it is about as maneuverable as a dead Bantha.

• Funny 4

Players
223 posts
4,845 battles
5 minutes ago, Jethro_Grey said:

True, good ship. 

But it is about as maneuverable as a dead Bantha.

at 20km you (spotter plane active at all times when available) don't need to maneuver, you have the soviet laser guns and pretty much nothing to fear :Smile_izmena:

[-TPF-]
Players
4,932 posts
20,111 battles

Hmm. I can't tell you how much I loathed Shchors. I am Citadel Magnet. Open fire, die, having been sniped by a Kongo from 22km.  Not sure that Lazo or Irian are good investments.

[CHEFT]
Players
12,666 posts
9,841 battles

Got Boise not long ago. Imo very strong on T7 and has that special heal. Thats why i got it.

• Cool 1

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
6,102 posts
6,576 battles
1 hour ago, invicta2012 said:

Atago might be the oldest t8 premium in the game, but that doesn't make her any less good.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[L4GG]
Players
3,470 posts
11,259 battles
1 hour ago, invicta2012 said:

Hello.

Go for Boise /NdJ, you enjoyed them, the rest are meh ships, or you have more of the same thing.

Wichita I don't know

[BABBY]
Players
811 posts
11,970 battles

Boise is pretty strong, I'd avoid tier 8, its pain tier for cruisers (atago could work because heal). Atlanta for farming Narai and the other operation if it ever comes back.

[NWP]
Players
1,099 posts
10,096 battles
2 hours ago, Xanta99 said:

Abruzzi is much weaker than Aosta for multiple reasons.  Still better than the SAP junk boats however.  4/10

Boise is Helena with a gigantic british cruiser heal and is rather lovely  8/10

Perth is similar to HuangHe yes, but if you love it then you'll love perth too 8/10

Indi is basically a pre-change T7 Pensa minus one gun - but with one of the rare radars at T7.  Made of paper though 5/10

Atago is better than any of the silver Japanese CAs due to the heal and the far superior torp angles  9/10

I almost agree with you....

Abruzzi is far, far better than d'Aosta for its tier. Fast, great maneuverability, the heal and really good guns. One of the more interesting cruisers at tier 7

Indi is a bit better than 5/10 thanks to guns and radar, but requires a really experienced (especially at upper tier) US CA hand.

Wichita is actually the ship that's most like (old) Pensacola; good guns and should be played in open water as you have the rudder for it. Cleveland hull and armour make her a bit weak for anchoring caps by islands, and the reload does you no favours - Des Moines it ain't.

Special mention to HuangHe. One of the most underestimated ships in the whole game. Unique playstyle rewards patience and aggression (at the right times).

• Cool 1

[ZEN]
Players
1,477 posts
15,596 battles

Don't think this was mentioned but the Perth also has an improved Spotting Aircraft and with the spotting aircraft upgrade it can self spot from in smoke, I think it lasts almost 4 mins, also you can use the Smokescreen Upgrade to extend that as well, Perth is like the Huanghe but it has more range available to it so it is better against BBs but it has a little worse concealment and slower shell velocities so it isn't quite as good against DDs and broadside cruisers (Has worse AP) but still a very solid ship.

45 minutes ago, Mr_Tayto said:

Abruzzi is far, far better than d'Aosta for its tier. Fast, great maneuverability, the heal and really good guns. One of the more interesting cruisers at tier 7

I disagree on this point, the Duca has a 2 sec better rudder that allows you to actually dodge incoming fire and torps, it also has a better armour scheme where no BB overmatches the outer layer or the inner armour (Abruzzi outer layer can be overmatched), also Abruzzi has a slight reverse turtle back on the citadel that deflects shells into itself. It also has less reliable AP as it looses the muzzle velocity to the HE which is also overall a negative. It had the heal added cause it had worse survivability than the Duca it is there to make it playable... but as was said still more fun than the Tech tree ships though it was given the poor dodging characteristics of the main line.:Smile_sad:

[JRM]
Players
8,230 posts

Well I like all of those cruisers and have them all as well, it all depends what kind of playstyle with a cruiser you prefer...

If you want long range BBq fiesta get Lazo, if you want mid range BBq fiesta get Atago, if you want to boost winrate get Wichita, Atlanta or Indy and exterminate the little red pests so your pests can derp the red team, if you just want to go out and ruin someones day while harvesting salt in the process get Perth or Flint or Smolensk and build for max fire chance... :Smile_trollface:

Players
10,665 posts
12,133 battles
8 hours ago, Mr_Tayto said:

Indi is a bit better than 5/10 thanks to guns and radar, but requires a really experienced (especially at upper tier) US CA hand.

More like she need ANY USN CA experience, because she is as bog standard one as possible.

Indy besides being decent at Narai have very good range, making any "grossly uptiered" games less of an issue.

10 hours ago, invicta2012 said:

I see Atago out doing good things, rather than exploding (which seems to be Mogami's job)

Takao class and Mogami have near identical armor layout and citadel size, Takao have 41mm deck, which can ricochet all AP and shatter most cruiser HE, Mogami have 30mm on upper hull, so can ricochet <430mm AP from that. Both can return to port in no time just fine:Smile_smile:

Atago/Takao doing "good things" have definitely more to do with experienced captain than ship being good - 16s reload is one big oof, one torpedo launcher facing forward is just as boon as its a curse. Torps are also dead on middle if the ship and under MASSIVE superstructure, so they get knocked out repeatedly, while 15.8km gun range may leave you wanting when uptiered.

[PKTZS]
Weekend Tester
2,567 posts
18,223 battles
11 hours ago, invicta2012 said:

Hello.

Of all those, the only one I wouldn't recommend to anybody but my worst enemy is Indianapolis. You need to be quite experienced to make that ship work without your game being ruined by the first enemy salvos.

The rest are all good ships. I don't have Wichita, but looks like the old New Orleans at T8, and I really loved that ship (the reason I'm considering getting it).

[TTT]
[TTT]
Players
1,626 posts
13,952 battles
10 hours ago, iTchyfoot said:

Helena would be the better choice as she is forgiving errors... lazo does not so much its just a floating cit that requiers a lot of dedication to make it work.

Abruzzi is lot better and with the heal the eternal Seamines and the aa its fun to play.

indy and wichita have hard time staying on the field atm with all the bbs arround.

Beta Tester
1,409 posts
11 hours ago, invicta2012 said:

Hello.

from the ones mentioned, i would pick atagao without hesitation