You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Fodder1978

Possible Royal Navy premiums not yet covered?

33 comments in this topic

Players
85 posts
3,707 battles

Been around on and off (mostly off) since early days when only the USN and IJN were in play, and it’s been fantastic to see the Royal Navy finally get its appearance and expansion; looking forward to the Heavy Cruiser line too.

But... there’s still room for a couple of notable absences, as well as another suggestion once the submarines appear.

The Battlecruiser HMS Repulse hasn’t shown itself; this would fit somewhere in the tier 5-6 range because it was a direct contemporary of the Queen Elizabeths, faster but with one less 15” turret. Fighting value is less than the rebuilt QEs though, so maybe tier 5 is more appropriate.

The Carrier HMS Illustrious hasn’t been there either; could be suitable at tier 8, maybe swap out Corsairs for the Seafires, much better armour on the decks and better damage control than most at a cost of smaller flight groups (albeit deck parking was used by this time).

HMS Norfolk, with four 8-inch dual turrets could go into tier 6 like an upgraded HMS Exeter. We have the Hood and Bismarck and Prinz Eugen, so this ship would pretty much round out the Battle of the Denmark Straight.

And finally, albeit fictitious... with Submarines on their way, the radar equipped light cruiser HMS Ulysses from Alistair Maclean’s classic novel of the Murmansk convoys could be good.

I live in hope...

• Cool 8

Players
1,428 posts
17,607 battles

I know a fair number of people would like to see the Dido class make an appearance seeing as they are quite similar to the Atlanta. However for that reason I would rather they added the improved Dido class (the Bellona sub class) probably represented by HMS Royalist. Would sit happily in tier 8 although another rapid firing HE cruiser might not go down all that well. 

Still a completely agree I would love to see Repulse or one of her sisters make an appearance.

• Cool 9

Players
85 posts
3,707 battles

But NOT the R-class (shudder).

Unless they were a premium tier 5, like HMS Ramillies. Basically an Iron Duke with its five dual 13.5”turrets swapped out for four 15”, and slower into the bargain.

What on earth was the Navy thinking with this class? Cut price Queen Elizabeths with little of the upgrade value. Although I heard something about the armament getting some sort of super charge for extra gun range, provably to achieve what the remounting of the QE turrets and extra elevation resulted in.

Players
5,976 posts
10,930 battles

From top of my head:

HMS Tiger (because :fish_cute_2: ship)

HMS Incomparable

HMS Glorious but with the guns (odd design but those are potentially interesting).

HMS Agincourt

HMS Lion

HMS Colossus

[SINT]
Players
687 posts
19,221 battles
1 hour ago, Fodder1978 said:

But NOT the R-class (shudder).

Unless they were a premium tier 5, like HMS Ramillies. Basically an Iron Duke with its five dual 13.5”turrets swapped out for four 15”, and slower into the bargain.

What on earth was the Navy thinking with this class? Cut price Queen Elizabeths with little of the upgrade value. Although I heard something about the armament getting some sort of super charge for extra gun range, provably to achieve what the remounting of the QE turrets and extra elevation resulted in.

R- class was a budget QE with the  benefit that it was coal only fueled and therefore not vulnerable regarding an economic blockade of the UK, since coal, unlike oil, was plentiful available. 

R- class would be a monster at tier V with the 15 inch guns and atleast reasonable accuracy. At tier VI it needs some boosts to make up it inferiourity compared with QE and warspite.

• Cool 1

[-TPF-]
Players
3,547 posts
14,637 battles
13 minutes ago, Inappropriate_noob said:

Could we also ave  tier 3 premium HMS Thunderchild, actually the War of the Worlds is tonight on the BBC, yippee:cap_like:

Very good idea.... and you've just reminded me to set my PVR!

To the OP I think the mainstream list is Dido, Renown/Repulse, Tiger, Cavalier, Hardy.

I'd also like HMS Shark (as part of a campaign to obtain a dedicated RN DD captain with special skills, rather like Captain Loftus Jones https://www.iwm.org.uk/history/commander-loftus-jones-vc) and HMS Skate, the oldest RN ship in WW2. 

[H_FAN]
Players
2,483 posts
38,529 battles
44 minutes ago, Jvd2000 said:

R- class was a budget QE with the  benefit that it was coal only fueled and therefore not vulnerable regarding an economic blockade of the UK, since coal, unlike oil, was plentiful available. 

R- class would be a monster at tier V with the 15 inch guns and atleast reasonable accuracy. At tier VI it needs some boosts to make up it inferiourity compared with QE and warspite.

well one reason is also that the other battle line ships generally did 21 kts so 23 was no use when designed. I think jellicoe hought that QE was between two stools, the battlecruisers and the battlöeships of 21 kts.

[ORM]
Players
132 posts
3,393 battles
2 hours ago, Inappropriate_noob said:

Could we also ave  tier 3 premium HMS Thunderchild, actually the War of the Worlds is tonight on the BBC, yippee:cap_like:

No gaming for me then later, lol

have you ever got the chance to see jeff wayne's version live ? 

totally worth the money

[CR33D]
[CR33D]
Players
2,575 posts
25,397 battles
5 hours ago, lovelacebeer said:

I know a fair number of people would like to see the Dido class make an appearance seeing as they are quite similar to the Atlanta. However for that reason I would rather they added the improved Dido class (the Bellona sub class) probably represented by HMS Royalist. Would sit happily in tier 8 although another rapid firing HE cruiser might not go down all that well.

Bellona subclass only had 4x2 5.25inch, so one less turret then original Dido class. And was actually smaller then Atlanta, so T8 would be to high for them. RN should get one of the original Didos while Bellona subclass premium should be released under Commonwealth tree as New Zealand operated two of them, HMNZS Royalist and HMNZS Black Prince (which would be a nice name for a premium).

51 minutes ago, Otowi said:

The S-Class destroyers would be nice, as Norway used them during WW II

Well two best options for RN S class DD are HMS Saumarez of the Notth Cape and Haguro fame and HMS Savage, mostly because it was used to test twin 4.5inch mount on DD

Photo10ddSavage1NPGeorgeKnight.JPG

• Cool 1

Players
3,390 posts
2 hours ago, MrFingers said:

HMS Gay Viking

The armament seems to lack in the sting department... :Smile_hiding:

Rather than think about what cool new premium RN ships we might get, why not rather expand the tree first with parallel lines and battlecruisers first?

• Cool 1

[BAD-A]
Players
638 posts
8,943 battles
29 minutes ago, fumtu said:

Well two best options for RN S class DD are HMS Saumarez of the Notth Cape and Haguro fame and HMS Savage, mostly because it was used to test twin 4.5inch mount on DD

As the Saumarez family are from just up the road from me, I'd love to see this!

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
4,251 posts
4,972 battles
7 hours ago, Fodder1978 said:

The Battlecruiser HMS Repulse hasn’t shown itself; this would fit somewhere in the tier 5-6 range because it was a direct contemporary of the Queen Elizabeths, faster but with one less 15” turret. Fighting value is less than the rebuilt QEs though, so maybe tier 5 is more appropriate

I'd personally prefer the Renown..

• Bad 1

Players
85 posts
3,707 battles
28 minutes ago, lafeel said:

I'd personally prefer the Renown..

It did survive the war, and if I recall it got a substantial rebuild including the brutalist “Queen Anne Tower” superstructure and bridge common to contemporary RN 1930s rebuilds.

Repulse never got that work, and... to be honest she was a prettier ship, more like the Hood.

HMS Repulse

AA6EB6FE-3C53-4162-9794-0714091E79DA.jpeg

HMS Renown

CFAEE7C9-40BD-4939-8FFA-39DA5E9070EF.jpeg

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
4,251 posts
4,972 battles
1 minute ago, Fodder1978 said:

It did survive the war, and if I recall it got a substantial rebuild including the brutalist “Queen Anne Tower” superstructure and bridge common to contemporary RN 1930s rebuilds.

She did indeed, both survive the war and get that rebuild. And trust me, the bridge superstructure was not all they changed on her.

• Bad 1

[-TPF-]
Players
3,547 posts
14,637 battles
1 hour ago, fumtu said:

I would rather have Cavalier, tbh. Stord would be great fun - 50% extra damage vs Scharnhorst - but the Cav has to be in game at some point.

Players
85 posts
3,707 battles

I get why they did it, but God it’s hideous.

Apparently it had to be rebuilt after it collided with another ship.

Not all the Queen Elizabeths were rebuilt either, before the war broke out - not sure about Valiant or Barham, though I know Malaya never got that far.

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
4,251 posts
4,972 battles
Just now, Fodder1978 said:

I get why they did it, but God it’s hideous.

Apparently it had to be rebuilt after it collided with another ship.

Not all the Queen Elizabeths were rebuilt either, before the war broke out - not sure about Valiant or Barham, though I know Malaya never got that far.

Valiant was, Barham wasn't. She was still in essentially her WW1 (and useless because of it) state to the day she was sunk.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1