Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
MrFingers

Where is Zara's airplane?

15 comments in this topic

[HOO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
3,240 posts

Zara has access to the Fighter/Spotter consumable, and also has aircraft handling facilities on the ship... on the bow. Yet the plane isn't modelled. Literally unplayable! Plox Fix!

itca05_zara-40.jpg

800px-Zara_wows_main.jpg

tenor.gif?itemid=11267662

• Cool 4
  • Funny 3
  • Boring 1

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
4,261 posts
4,988 battles
2 hours ago, MrFingers said:

Zara has access to the Fighter/Spotter consumable, and also has aircraft handling facilities on the ship... on the bow. Yet the plane isn't modelled. Literally unplayable! Plox Fix!

It's in the hangar, you know, you can even see the hatch.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
4,631 posts
19,200 battles
23 hours ago, Munchboii said:

But then how will the guns fire ?

Probably like in real life - either shoot from broadside or throw the plane overboard when entering a battle, so all that fuel doesn't explode on deck... ^^

• Funny 1

[JRM]
Players
5,523 posts
22,757 battles
4 minutes ago, Deckeru_Maiku said:

Probably like in real life - either shoot from broadside or throw the plane overboard when entering a battle, so all that fuel doesn't explode on deck... ^^

Sailor: Captn ser there is an enemy fleet on the horizon!

Cap: Load the guns and drop the planes in the water...

Sailor: But ser there are no spare men to work the catapults!

Cap: What catapults? Drop them overboard...

:Smile_trollface:

• Funny 1

Beta Tester
4,631 posts
19,200 battles
1 minute ago, Yedwy said:

Sailor: Captn ser there is an enemy fleet on the horizon!

Cap: Load the guns and drop the planes in the water...

Sailor: But ser there are no spare men to work the catapults!

Cap: What catapults? Drop them overboard...

:Smile_trollface:

Happened often enough afaik, when a ship with a floatplane was caught unaware by enemy forces. The risk of having all that plane fule ready to explode was one that many captains weren't ready to take. And not all ships had an hangar to stow the plane in... so drop or burn was the choice to be made ^^

• Cool 1

Players
393 posts
7,829 battles
On 11/15/2019 at 10:02 PM, Munchboii said:

But then how will the guns fire ?

Italian navy...the guns were never designed to be used.......

• Funny 1

[LEGIO]
Players
624 posts
9,278 battles
1 hour ago, Deckeru_Maiku said:

Happened often enough afaik, when a ship with a floatplane was caught unaware by enemy forces. The risk of having all that plane fule ready to explode was one that many captains weren't ready to take. And not all ships had an hangar to stow the plane in... so drop or burn was the choice to be made ^^

Read the history of the battle between Hmas Sydney and Kms Kormoran. 1 hit from the Kormoran on the fully loaded Walrus spotter on the catapult. Pretty much caused the loss of the Sydney. Or at least contributed. Interesting reading 👍

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
4,261 posts
4,988 battles
2 hours ago, Deckeru_Maiku said:

And the Zaras happen to have a hangar to store it in, as you can see on the model.

Beta Tester
4,631 posts
19,200 battles
1 hour ago, lafeel said:

And the Zaras happen to have a hangar to store it in, as you can see on the model.

Sorry.. I thought we were also talking about how they managed to use their guns in real life...

For the game we have an easy solution why the plane can't be seen on the model - it's still in the hangar :)

And due to time compression in the game, when the plane is launched we won't see it leaving the hangar, get craned unto the ramp, but only when it launches.. see, everything okay :)

OOr we just take the logical explanation which is that putting the plane model on the ramp would interfere with the models ability to shoot or at least look utterly dumb when it shoots through a plane model, so WG decided to not put the plane model on the ship...

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
4,261 posts
4,988 battles
2 minutes ago, Deckeru_Maiku said:

Sorry.. I thought we were also talking about how they managed to use their guns in real life...

For the game we have an easy solution why the plane can't be seen on the model - it's still in the hangar :)

And due to time compression in the game, when the plane is launched we won't see it leaving the hangar, get craned unto the ramp, but only when it launches.. see, everything okay :)

OOr we just take the logical explanation which is that putting the plane model on the ramp would interfere with the models ability to shoot or at least look utterly dumb when it shoots through a plane model, so WG decided to not put the plane model on the ship...

Can also see the same hatch leading to the hangar in the RL photo if you know where to look, despite it's low quality.

Could also debate the (it's stupid, quite frankly, if you ask me) merits of having a catapult and hangar on and in the forecastle like that while we're at it.

[JRM]
Players
5,523 posts
22,757 battles

Well I guess they placed it where they had more spare room to use for that...

Beta Tester
3,081 posts
3,501 battles

I've noticed the same thing on the Alberto Di Guissano, the tier IV Italian cruiser. And I seem to recall having looked in vain for the float plane that was added to the König, as well. I thought it was just an oversight, with Wargaming having forgotten to add the plane to the ship models, but now I'm beginning to think that it is a deliberate feature that applies to all ships with inconveniently placed plane catapults. The design where the catapult is placed between the smoke stacks makes a lot more sense in this regard, even though a placement in the bow probably makes taking off a lot easier. Especially with the added motivation of having two loaded 8-inch gun barrels pointing at the back of your head...! :fish_boom:

[JRM]
Players
5,523 posts
22,757 battles

Pilot: A, captian, ser, I not feel like flying today, its cold and I got drunk yesterday, can we skip this, eh?

Cap: Gunery officer! Load the front guns and clear the barrels in one minute!
Rrrrrrrrr (plane flying off) :Smile_trollface:

• Funny 2

Sign in to follow this