Sign in to follow this  
Redcap375

Is the Venezia CB worthy and the whole line in general ?

11 comments in this topic

Players
3,130 posts
10,036 battles

Shippers :cap_tea:

1) Is the Venezia viable in CB's (the stats would suggest not, 25mm armour with that reload and concealment? Hummm) 

2) The line in general.  So tips on how to play them and when and when not to use this SAP

Regards,

Red

[CATS]
Players
24,840 posts
13,705 battles
  1. I doubt it. Not enough targets for flanking. Enemies are more aware and angled.
  2. Yes. While I am no fan of SAP and this specific concept, they work ok to good. Some ships need fine tuning.

Players
9,397 posts
11,020 battles

Given experience in Trento and Zara:

you don't engage glorious Russian BB master race and lidl knockoffs - SAP can damage only superstructure and unarmored bow/aft sections, just like HE but without fires. Otherwise ask them gently to show broadside for AP massage. With 70-80 degrees angle for ricochets, target needs to be PERFECTLY bow on to shrug SAP off, anything less and they will do damage. Against all-or-nothing armored ships SAP can be devastating, same with destroyers when you hit amidship (which doesn't saturate). Ez devstrike that way.

You use AP only when you have broadside cruiser and you're certain you will land citadels or armored all around battleship. Otherwise, SAP all the way.

Pasta smoke is like the most useless gimmick in game, as firing penalty continues when you enter smoke, which is substantial, around 9km. So you can't fire and fart, you need to fire, wait 20s and then fart. Or not fire at all.

Venezia may have some alpha punch, imagine 15gun Yoshino firing HE but also suffering absolute RNG trolling when rolling fire chance. But outside of alpha, I don't see anything IFHEnri won't do just as good, if not better.

• Cool 1

[SHAFT]
[SHAFT]
Players
1,005 posts
21,718 battles

My experience with the tier 5 & 6 Italian cruisers was disappointing, SAP proved quite anemic and lacking unless you're firing at dds.  Was thinking of getting Venezia yesterday but after checking Flambass's opinion & review I decided not to!

• Cool 2

[N0RSE]
[N0RSE]
Players
159 posts
13,361 battles

My experience in a Nort Carolina against Zara yesterday: He did 4-5k dmg for each volley with sap. What hurts most though is that I can't heal up the damage he have done on me. So if you are in a bad position and receive sap spam, it can be worse than he spam.

I have played Trento and Zara myself, they seem to be ok ships with some situational awesomeness with the smoke.

[-YR-]
Players
589 posts
On 11/15/2019 at 10:39 AM, Redcap375 said:

Shippers :cap_tea:

1) Is the Venezia viable in CB's (the stats would suggest not, 25mm armour with that reload and concealment? Hummm) 

2) The line in general.  So tips on how to play them and when and when not to use this SAP

Regards,

Red

Simple answer: NO!

• Cool 1

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
2,002 posts
7,981 battles

Faced a Venetia yesterday in CW, and it was less than impressive. It's just too big and bulky without the survivability in a focus fire enviroment, not to mention SAP is too inflexible against bow on targets. For randoms it might work but not in CW.

• Cool 2

[LEEUW]
[LEEUW]
Beta Tester
41 posts
5,082 battles

1) I think that's to early to say... It takes a while for people to get familiar with new ship lines. Especially now we have the new SAP round wich people are getting used to at the moment. Venezia doesn't have just 25 mm of armor. There is an extended belt with more armor.

2) Low/mid tiers are bad... like not fun to play. When you get at the tier 8 it get's better. Still I think the SAP at tier 8 is preforming very inconsistently. So you will do 8k salvo's to enemy BB's but when facing German or Russian ships the SAP becomes trash. When showing your broadside (in any Italian cruiser) you're done for. The manoeuvrability is good (I love the moment you blab at 38.5 knots past a gearing) so you're able to doge a lot of shot's. When not showing your broadside the armor is decent so that's a plus. But yea I struggle to do consistent damage against opponents and it's quite frustrating at times... I think they need a buff. Either the reload needs to be buffed or the SAP needs to be reliable. If you really want, sure why not. But just keep in mind that these cruisers are not the best ships in the game. 

Players
170 posts
10,947 battles

They work best at range and kiting enemies. Even better still if you can find enemies that will show some angle so more of the SAP hits and sticks. In that situation they are very strong.

In other situations other nations ships are better. The lack of concealment and any utilities like hydro, radar or high rates of fire/HE means they aren't suited to closer engagements. They need other ships to spot and/or push in, whilst the Italians provide support.

Only really use the smoke when you need to turn broadside and want to avoid being dev stuck by the enemy. Bare in mind you need to keep range to do this as the smoke firing penatly is bad for the class.

Sign in to follow this