You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Pappus

Is there a ship that can push and actually tank HE?

31 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
186 posts
4,689 battles

I grinded out the GK looking for nice secondary action and stuff but the reality is the HE spam is so massive in most matches that it is a sniping fiesta for the first 10 minutes and that is not what I am looking for. I want to push the line forward even if there is smolensk sitting.

Does something like that exist?

• Cool 2

[AAO]
Players
1,466 posts
20,050 battles
9 minutes ago, Pappus said:

I grinded out the GK looking for nice secondary action and stuff but the reality is the HE spam is so massive in most matches that it is a sniping fiesta for the first 10 minutes and that is not what I am looking for. I want to push the line forward even if there is smolensk sitting.

Does something like that exist? 

There is no ship that can push against an arbitrary opposition. Not for long anyways.

A single Smolensk is unlikely to kill a pushing GK or Kremlin. It's usually the rest of the focus that murders it.

• Cool 4

[NWP]
Players
8,698 posts
8,643 battles

Dont play secondary GK, that will help a little.

But i know your response in the BB thread, so i dont think something that you want actually exists, because your understanding of pushing would actually break the game. I might be wrong here, but thats what i was getting from your other post. Pushing while being outnumbered/not knowing what is ahead, is not something you should do, NOR should it actually work, as it would be just plain bad for the game.

Ships can take HE spammers, even Smolensk. Every ship has its limits tho, and if you get focused because you overextended, you deserve to sink.

• Cool 6

[TTTX]
[TTTX]
Players
4,608 posts
8,081 battles

it kind of does, just not at T10 - but good luck trying to stop a determined Sinop pushing in with same or lower tier ships. Similar could be said for Gneisenau, just for different reasons - not because it's especially tanky but because it goes 32kts at a tier where Colorado exists... :Smile_teethhappy:

But no, T10 is an area where mindlessly zombierushing in like an idiot will not get you very far, sorry...

• Cool 2

Players
9,327 posts
10,972 battles

Glorious russian BB master race and German lidl knockoffs handle HE spam the best due to their armor scheme. Also they almost entirely ignore SAP rounds from Pizza cruisers

• Cool 1

[THESO]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
2,745 posts
6,620 battles
5 hours ago, Sleepy_Bunny said:

If it's just a Smolensk, Kremlin and Legendary Hindenburg should work fine.

I would not Bet on Kremlin.

I have seen several cases where the Smolensk Depleted Kremlin HP so Fast that it wasnt Funny anymore.

In General Smolensk is Incredible Overpowered right now.

A Smolensk having you in its Sights is basicly like you got 3 Gearings Sitting in a Smokescreen Firing at you....

Even Hindenburg with Legendary is Helpless on that.

Not only will you take more than enough Direct Damage. But with that Volume of Fire its completely Irrelevant that you can Reduce a Fire to less than 20 Seconds. Because it takes not even 5 Seconds before you got 3 new Fires going anyways...

• Boring 2

Players
6,328 posts
245 battles
3 hours ago, Sunleader said:

I have seen several cases where the Smolensk Depleted Kremlin HP so Fast that it wasnt Funny anymore.

A Smolensk having you in its Sights is basicly like you got 3 Gearings Sitting in a Smokescreen Firing at you....

Not only will you take more than enough Direct Damage. But with that Volume of Fire its completely Irrelevant that you can Reduce a Fire to less than 20 Seconds. Because it takes not even 5 Seconds before you got 3 new Fires going anyways...

How about SonneFührer, Der Große? (H42).

But being serious doe, i think kremlin would be fine anyways, since most smolensk players barely move in smoke and are broadside so hitting them is usually quite easy, the only problem is the overpens so miss jean bart or monarch might be better choices, but then the problems with those ships is that their armour is too thin (will we ever get another BB with more than 32mm's of bow and aft armour?).

Main problem isn't the smolensk itself but the other little sods that hang around it's arse also blapping you and smacking you across the map.

[AAO]
Players
1,466 posts
20,050 battles
3 hours ago, Sunleader said:

Hinden is way squishier against the smol-bote than any BB since it can (and tends to) take direct dmg from those HE-shells due to a good amount of 25-27mm plating. Fires are at most a secondary concern.

The imo main thing making the Hinden dangerous against her is the ability to accurately smoke-fire with a high AP-dpm and deletion potential if broadside.

Players
1,995 posts
5 hours ago, Hedgehog1963 said:

Any ship where the player doesn't hit damage control when there's one fire.

and uses the flag for an extra 20% repair tally.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
3,063 posts
3,464 battles

I'm on the same page with @DFens_666 here; see post #4 above.

A lot of players start out in this game with the expectation that battleships are supposed to be these unstoppable behemoths, that can simply shrug off incoming fire from lesser ships while crushing all opposition as they slowly sail right through the enemy lines. It never worked like that, neither in the game nor in real life. What battleships can do, in the game, is to take a beating so that others don't have to, conserving their hit points and aiming to stay afloat until either the present engagement is won or they will otherwise be able to retreat and effect repairs. Neither of these things is typically possible without the aid of one's team mates, no matter how strong a battleship can be when played correctly.

This is not to say that OP doesn't know how to play his battleships, since I'm fairly certain he does; he's got more battles under his belt than I do. But I believe it's a valid point to make, nonetheless - that no battleship in the game is supposed to be able to routinely push through the enemy lines irrespective of a numerically superior opposition. Such things can happen, of course, but then it will be due to individual player skill (or lack thereof), not because of battleships being an invulnerable master class of ships.

Players
6,328 posts
245 battles
49 minutes ago, Ubertron_X said:

Once IFHE is removed, many ships...

Oh yeah does anyone have info regarding the IFHE changes at all?

Beta Tester
186 posts
4,689 battles
23 minutes ago, Procrastes said:

I'm on the same page with @DFens_666 here; see post #4 above.

A lot of players start out in this game with the expectation that battleships are supposed to be these unstoppable behemoths, that can simply shrug off incoming fire from lesser ships while crushing all opposition as they slowly sail right through the enemy lines. It never worked like that, neither in the game nor in real life. What battleships can do, in the game, is to take a beating so that others don't have to, conserving their hit points and aiming to stay afloat until either the present engagement is won or they will otherwise be able to retreat and effect repairs. Neither of these things is typically possible without the aid of one's team mates, no matter how strong a battleship can be when played correctly.

This is not to say that OP doesn't know how to play his battleships, since I'm fairly certain he does; he's got more battles under his belt than I do. But I believe it's a valid point to make, nonetheless - that no battleship in the game is supposed to be able to routinely push through the enemy lines irrespective of a numerically superior opposition. Such things can happen, of course, but then it will be due to individual player skill (or lack thereof), not because of battleships being an invulnerable master class of ships.

Most my games are CV games.

But to the point to me pushing means I see a smolensk in a position behind an island. We are 4 ships, they are 4 ships. Now I as a battleship decide to push the smolensk out of that spot. For that I need to threaten it with destruction. Either I advance on the position straight or a bit angled to just get line of sight. See imagine there being a cleveland behind a hill. You can push into that, because you will not be melted in a minute even if there are 4 BBs helping her out. But nowadays with shots coming every seconds and hitting you for 2-3% of your HP with HE and you can do nothing against that removes the option for me. I can only shoot over and over at that spot as we are helpless to advance in any way.

I am not looking for a ship that sails into 10 ppl and emerges victorious I am looking for a ship that allows me to advance the battle line for example 2 KM giving my team more space, more islands, more angles to attack.

[RO-RN]
Players
797 posts
9,748 battles
1 minute ago, CptBarney said:

Why do people even want to change IFHE first? They want lower tier cruisers to become damage pinatas! Also they should be more careful for what they ask, in WOT players asked for tanks with better armor and they got it which resulted in more premium ammo spam and born of ojbs 268v4,430u,279e and tanks with no weak spots at all. They asked for a better matchmaking and they got 3-5-7 which made any tier except t9 and t10 a chore to play thanks to being bottom tier 9 out of 10 times! 

Also i guess these people that want IFHE changed realise that  BBs benefit the most from this, I guess they will like getting nothing but shatters on every battleship in the game while they get citadeled from every angle!  And if IFHE changes then lets change the whole commander skills: lets nerf CE, DE,SI,Fire prevention cause what are commander skills for there anyway?

• Cool 2

Players
6,328 posts
245 battles
40 minutes ago, Animalul2012 said:

Why do people even want to change IFHE first? They want lower tier cruisers to become damage pinatas! Also they should be more careful for what they ask, in WOT players asked for tanks with better armor and they got it which resulted in more premium ammo spam and born of ojbs 268v4,430u,279e and tanks with no weak spots at all. They asked for a better matchmaking and they got 3-5-7 which made any tier except t9 and t10 a chore to play thanks to being bottom tier 9 out of 10 times! 

Also i guess these people that want IFHE changed realise that  BBs benefit the most from this, I guess they will like getting nothing but shatters on every battleship in the game while they get citadeled from every angle!  And if IFHE changes then lets change the whole commander skills: lets nerf CE, DE,SI,Fire prevention cause what are commander skills for there anyway?

Yeah, and BB HE would be the best or at least more consistent than cruisers in general from what i've seen so far.

Commander skills need a rework, i'd rather have percentage based parameter increases on individual stats than the complete mess we have now. So think of MWO but obviously scale and change it too suit world of tanks.

maybe a few extra skills here and there.

I havent heard anything about the IFHE changes from wargaming yet soo, not sure if they will ninja that in or actually announce it at somepoint.

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,715 posts
15,823 battles
1 hour ago, Animalul2012 said:

WG nerfed HE in WoT because it kinda made armour and AP ammunition obsolete, partially the same problem that we have here. So why bother bringing all the armour if somebody can just pick a skill and make it invalid? Even Henry's use it in CB to be able to overmatch Moskva's bow. Where is my equivalent "short fuse" 4 point BB skill to make all citadel overpens real citadel hits? etc.

f1emtllk0ai21.jpg

[THESO]
[THESO]
3,352 posts
9,471 battles
11 hours ago, DFens_666 said:

Dont play secondary GK, that will help a little.

HOW DARE YOU!!!!

SHE HAS FEELINGS TOO!!!

https://media.giphy.com/media/cmjKJpCaqTdJstULVG/giphy.gif

1 hour ago, CptBarney said:

they've said in the recent Q/A,
It is benched for now

• Funny 1

Players
1,684 posts
12,031 battles
7 hours ago, Sunleader said:

Hyperbole much?

Every shame tier BB and a fair few below can tank and push one single HE spammer.

2 HE spammers plus assorted BBs at the back and a DD doing the spotting and throwing some fish at a single yoloing target? Nope, and that's alright.

Players
1,803 posts
12,199 battles
3 hours ago, CptBarney said:

How about SonneFührer, Der Große? (H42).

But being serious doe, i think kremlin would be fine anyways, since most smolensk players barely move in smoke and are broadside so hitting them is usually quite easy, the only problem is the overpens so miss jean bart or monarch might be better choices, but then the problems with those ships is that their armour is too thin (will we ever get another BB with more than 32mm's of bow and aft armour?).

Main problem isn't the smolensk itself but the other little sods that hang around it's arse also blapping you and smacking you across the map.

I don not know, Smolenk can melt even TX BB quite fast, yesterday I tried full potato tactic in Smolensk. I parked broadside 12 km next to  Kremlin and Yama and started shooting barely moving left and right in a smoke but also without the smoke hiding a bit behind the island but not really caring about being shot at by them. When I burnt them a bit they they pushed me. Effect? For them just overpens, for me over 150 k damage, Kremlin down, Yama weakened and actuality long range plunging fire from Montana finally killed me when I was still half HP.  This think is broken as :etc_swear:.  But then catch one with A Russian or US radar cruiser and they go very fast.

• Cool 1

[NED]
Players
2,010 posts
7,699 battles

Izumo had its deck armor increased and since it doesn't have a lot of superstructure she might be a good candidate for pushing into a HE spammer.

• Cool 1