Sign in to follow this  
Fanochaos

Help with Amagi

7 comments in this topic

Players
2 posts
30 battles

Good day,

I recently got Amagi and compared to Nagato I think she's a wonderful ship. However, I just got into a game where I died in the first minute.

image.png.a27504535495184f18143f8bfd7a215b.png

This is the movement I did. I got approached my a Torpedo bomber from Lexington so I began to maneuver to avoid them. Meanwhile some tier IX ships began firing at me from what I would guess is their spawn. The Torpedo bombers stayed at my priority, signal upgraded AA for the full duration and managed to get 3 attack runs. I dodged the first attack successfully, but the second attack hit me twice, causing flooding. I repaired it right away as I thought that nothing can do any further hazard to me, but I was wrong. The third attack came and I dodged one torpedo but the second one hit me and caused flooding again. While this was happening, several barrages came from the enemy spawn and finished me off.

Is there a way to avoid this from happening? Should I start a game in reverse and hug the map border? Keep in mind that for most of the barrages that hit me I was angled, only once showing broadside.

Thank you in advance.

[MUMMY]
Beta Tester
200 posts
8,745 battles

Hi, Flamu made a video on this ship recently. It might help you with the general playstyle of the ship:

On the particular game you are talking about, I can see on the minimap that you were isolated from the rest of the team. Consequently you were an easy target for the ennemy CV. That's why he decided to focus you. (Amagi's AA is not that good in addition)

About the path followed by your ship, you had a very central position and I would assume that you were constantly spotted, if not by planes, by the ennemy dd capping at B. This central position allowing to a good part of the ennemy team to get some shots on you.

The island behind you was cutting your retreat path, forcing you to move around and show broadside during the maneuver.

To avoid this to happen again, you should not get too isolated when you are in a ship relatively weak in AA with a CV in the game. (One could say that with current AA balance and CV rework there's no strong AA anymore but that's an other debate :Smile_Default: )

But the main reason why you got killed early is because you had no way to get back quickly due to the island behind you; in addition your central position without near cover was allowing to a good part of the team to shoot at you.

Being central in a BB is perfectly ok but when you do so, you should always have a way to get quickly under cover when being under too much pressure. Especially when you are low tier. That's what was lacking here and got you killed.

Hope it will help :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 2

[AAO]
Players
1,471 posts
20,065 battles

Don't prioritize planes at all cost. Prioritize what is the most threatening to you at that point.
If an enemy BB opens up on you you angle against if if at all possible. If he's lucky you'll eat massive dmg. CVs are a big threat but they can't literally 1-shot you.

Also don't dmg-con a single fire or flooding unless you're either about to die, desparate to get the concealment/maneuverability back

or you're very very unlikely to get another one while your dmg-con is on cooldown.

As for your positioning: You were mainly unlucky with your spawn (also that the enemy BB pushed up so aggressively).

As for counter CV-play:

Try to broadly stay with your team and at least not be the most attractive target around (Amagi AA might as well not be there).

There is not much more you can do besides pray the enemy CV is rubbish. They are just that itty bit broken post rework (and esp. post 8.7 AA reduction)

Players
2 posts
30 battles

Thank you very much for your feedback. Watching the clip definitely clarified some of the things.

For this particular situation would you say if it's better to just eat the torpedoes and not show broadside at all on spawn? This however would bring me alone with the destroyer on middle, which I think it might be a death sentence as well.

I have uploaded the replay if you would like to check it. I would be really grateful if chose to take the time (it's about 4 minutes long). Please ignore my turret rotation, I was not expecting to get in combat so quickly.

20191113_152503_PJSB013-Amagi-1942_16_OC_bees_to_honey.wowsreplay

[SM0KE]
Players
4,854 posts
11,844 battles
22 hours ago, Fanochaos said:

Is there a way to avoid this from happening?

A couple of suggestions, besides the excellent advice already given:

• If you aren't a reroll, 30 battles (at time of writing) is very few; don't rush up the tiers too fast - besides the risk of a skills deficit, you'll struggle to get 'good enough' captains before you hit the +2 MM bracket; in this context 'good enough' is generally felt to be at least 10 points.
  • Join a clan that's happy to teach: it's often helpful to play in divisions with a more experienced player - if you die first, you can watch what they do, plus they can provide you with pointers. Besides the learning thing, if a clan has a reasonably developed base, it'll net you some useful economic bonuses.
  • It's also useful to play across all the classes if possible - it'll give you an insight into what they're all trying to do, plus strengths/weaknesses; this should help you in whatever ends up being your preferred class.

[AAO]
Players
1,471 posts
20,065 battles
On 11/13/2019 at 8:10 PM, Fanochaos said:

I have uploaded the replay if you would like to check it. I would be really grateful if chose to take the time (it's about 4 minutes long)

Sry, forgot to watch it on Wednesday, and since the patch I've been unable to.
Do you perchance have another recording of the incident ?

[AAO]
Players
1,471 posts
20,065 battles

May i refer you to the video Golthor posted earlier in this thread ?

It goes into the positioning, play style strengths and weaknesses of the ship quite extensively.

Sign in to follow this