Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Pappus

Replay included - Can someone tell me what is wrong with my aim?

23 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
202 posts
5,019 battles

Or in general what I could have done better. I feel like 90% of my dmg came from the fires and that my main guns either missed, failed to penetrate etc.

I was fishing for citadels or big broadsides but it would just never happen.

Oh and yeah I didn't notice the DD at B at all in the heat of battle.

Like I feel the FdG being a brawling ship that this was a situation where I should have had way more impact, but I feel like I didn't have any. So tips would be appreciated since I really struggle with the ship.

BB beginner out

20191113_073223_PGSB109-Friedrich-der-Grosse_38_Canada.wowsreplay

• Cool 1

Players
1,459 posts
13,714 battles

Not at home so I can't look at the replay just yet, but right off the bat:

- you don't need to "feel" where your damage came from, detailed report will give you a breakdown of how much you did with ap, he, fires, rams, etc.

- FdG is a bit of a struggle bus and not the best ship to discuss someone's aim on, since the guns are so inaccurate to begin with. It's widely regarded as one of the worst t9's, I actually think it is the worst. If you do ok in a battleship that has reasonable guns (i.e. your aim seems just fine in an NC, for example), there's probably not that much to worry about aim wise. Short of that, the usual advice applies - practice aim, use streams / videos of good players, training room, try and learn the different armor profiles so you know what you can overmatch with your current ship, where to aim for the cit, etc. Can't really get more specific than that without being able to see the replay, but I'll give that a go in the evening. Hope it helps.

• Cool 1

[BBMM]
Players
5,554 posts
6,741 battles

With German BBs, maybe better just "fart in the general direction" and be pleasantly surprised if you get a big bang.

Rather than trying your utmost and getting disappointed every time... 

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

Players
2,010 posts
1 hour ago, Pappus said:

Or in general what I could have done better. I feel like 90% of my dmg came from the fires and that my main guns either missed, failed to penetrate etc.

Like I feel the FdG being a brawling ship that this was a situation where I should have had way more impact, but I feel like I didn't have any. So tips would be appreciated since I really struggle with the ship.

BB beginner out

Can I make a simple suggestion?

Try COOP for a while and practice your aim against the Bots. Eventually the fire angles will become natural.

I am doing that with my BB's at the moment (I am a DD main) and on my JB two days ago I got a 7 citadel hit from an 8 shot salvo on a Musashi and a 5 citadel hit on a Bismarck the salvo before..

At least in COOP you will not suffer the wrath of your team whilst you practice because it is COOP...

In my opinion COOP is the best place to go to learn and even with the poor dispersion of the German BB's you learn your optimum range for the most damage..

For my FDG BB to BB I find 8km-10km best for damage and for Cruiser targets no further than 10km... I even got a flood with a salvo from my Bismarck..

It's all a learning curve and I applaud you for asking your fellows here... you are the kind of player the game needs.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[AAO]
Players
1,494 posts
20,088 battles
7 hours ago, Migantium_Mashum said:

I even got a flood with a salvo from my Bismarck..

X

@Pappus

Spoiler

1salvo: (Lion) too angled to do much dmg anyway.

2nd salvo: (Sinop) too high and not enough lead.

3rd salvo: (Sinop) Sinop was still turning away, you aimed as if she was going straight.

4th salvo: (Lion) could have aimed a tad higher for super-structure shots but at that angle you're unlikely to do much anyways.

5th salvo: (Sinop) Aim looked good, but you should have shot the 2nd Lion that was giving you broadside

6th salvo: (Lion) aim looked ok as well, but Lion was already angling away, unlikely to do much dmg.

7th salvo: (Lion) Lion was still in the turn, you should have aimed a tad more to the left and away.

8-9th salvo: (Lion) aim looked good.

10th salvo: (Island) 8/8 hits. good job ^^

11th salvo: (Bismarck) bit of a gamble on not bouncing, otherwise good aim.

12th salvo: (Sov Soz.) almost guaranteed auto-bounce. should have gone for the turrets/superstructure

13th salvo. (Bisco) nothing to criticize.

14th salvo: (Sov. Soz) dito (you already noted that you didn't notice the DD)

15th salvo: (Lion) auto-bounce

16th salvo: (i forgot) risky to go for the hull shot at that angle. front turrets maybe. rear turrets should have gone for the superstructure/turrets or the FDG at C

17th salvo: (Lion) auto-bounce territory as well, either go for the Bisco (less angled), superstructures or the FDG at C

18th salvo: (Lion) this could have gone either way (bounces or not), i'd have waited for the ship to move forward a bit for a better angle

19th salvo: (Lion) maybe a tad too high but mainly you were unlucky with that one

20th salvo: (Lion) dito

21st salvo: (Lion) You should have waited a tad longer and gave it too much lead (prolly overestimated his speed in the turn ?)

22nd salvo: (Monarch) looks fine to me

23rd salvo: (Monarch) looked okay

I'd say the main problem you had there wasn't your aim but your target selection and to a lesser degree timing on those shots

(you were mostly reloading when someone got spotted broadside to you)

[GURKA]
Players
4,829 posts
10,130 battles
6 hours ago, Pappus said:

BB beginner out

Oof, was first watchign, then reading, what the actual question is. While watching I was wondering, why the replay is put in, because I don't see any major mistakes. Macro wise you went mostly for the correct position, Early for a Island for a good suprising position, and whe nyou realize, that you are outnumbered, you leave. I just would leave earlier, I assume, because the DD is in the flank and the large number of BBs is seen early. But Macro wise it was generally good.

Will have to look again for the aiming - is there a particular time stamp, where you need to know?

ALso maybe send the screenshot of the battle result... you can see, what have done the most damage in one of the tabs ;)

Beta Tester
202 posts
5,019 battles
8 minutes ago, Pikkozoikum said:

Oof, was first watchign, then reading, what the actual question is. While watching I was wondering, why the replay is put in, because I don't see any major mistakes. Macro wise you went mostly for the correct position, Early for a Island for a good suprising position, and whe nyou realize, that you are outnumbered, you leave. I just would leave earlier, I assume, because the DD is in the flank and the large number of BBs is seen early. But Macro wise it was generally good.

Will have to look again for the aiming - is there a particular time stamp, where you need to know?

Well all of it my main guns hit like wet noodles. Some shells even shattered on the russian BB there so I assume I am not doing it right.

I left mostly because of the DD he looked like he didn't want to scout or oppose the other DD so I didn't want to play the torpedo game and since I saw we won handily on the left I decided to retreat towards B slowly while staying in range for my secondaries. I also was thinking about turning around the big island for flanking shots, but I didn't feel like I could actually make that turn properly given the ruddershift and all.

[GURKA]
Players
4,829 posts
10,130 battles
2 minutes ago, Pappus said:

Well all of it my main guns hit like wet noodles. Some shells even shattered on the russian BB there so I assume I am not doing it right.

If you want talk about your perfmance and archiving too many shatters, whe shouldn't go with the worst case - the russian BBs xD

The russian bbs often have the tankiest armor.

3 minutes ago, Pappus said:

I left mostly because of the DD he looked like he didn't want to scout or oppose the other DD so I didn't want to play the torpedo game and since I saw we won handily on the left I decided to retreat towards B slowly while staying in range for my secondaries. I also was thinking about turning around the big island for flanking shots, but I didn't feel like I could actually make that turn properly given the ruddershift and all.

Well, the enemy DD is one good reason to run away, but that the enemy is outnumbering, is also a reason.

I played FdG in ranked last time, and I noticed, that this ship is not shining with super good guns, but with the potential and utility it grants and also to bait enemies with the tankyness (doesn't mean to waste HP but taking some hits and then run away, just like you did in your replay takes so much attention away from your allies)

[GURKA]
Players
4,829 posts
10,130 battles
8 minutes ago, Pappus said:

My advice for you is is not going for this particular replay and searching for a particular mistake. I think you do fine. My advice is that this game has a long learning curve, ships play different, have different armor layouts, different mechanics. So my advice is to keep playing, learn more over time and you get better without looking for a mistake. It's more about getting more and more knowledge ^^

Players
1,459 posts
13,714 battles
5 hours ago, Migantium_Mashum said:

I even got a flood with a salvo from my Bismarck..

Getting floods with main or secondary battery shells is literally impossible in this game. The only way you can get a flood is with torp hits and rams. It's possible your target was point blank and you just grazed it with your hull at the same time you shot at it, the game would have considered it a ram and applied a flood to both ships. That's the only way I could think of you could have gotten a flood on someone playing the Bismarck.

[ICG]
Players
529 posts
3,789 battles
5 hours ago, Migantium_Mashum said:

Can I make a simple suggestion?

Try COOP for a while and practice your aim against the Bots. Eventually the fire angles will become natural.

I think that's a bad idea. If I play COOP and scenarios for a long time my aim off with a mile because those ships rarely go full speed. Players on the other hand .... 

Players
2,010 posts
5 hours ago, Captain_Newman said:

Getting floods with main or secondary battery shells is literally impossible in this game. The only way you can get a flood is with torp hits and rams. It's possible your target was point blank and you just grazed it with your hull at the same time you shot at it, the game would have considered it a ram and applied a flood to both ships. That's the only way I could think of you could have gotten a flood on someone playing the Bismarck.

Sorry it wasn't Bismarck it was Missouri...

324372519_Screenshot(793).thumb.png.169165707772a127f24d789548bfb8f3.png

Quite sure that does say flood...

5 hours ago, FooFaFie said:

I think that's a bad idea. If I play COOP and scenarios for a long time my aim off with a mile because those ships rarely go full speed. Players on the other hand .... 

Fair argument... just thought it might help his aim.

Players
1,821 posts
12,317 battles
20 minutes ago, Migantium_Mashum said:

Sorry it wasn't Bismarck it was Missouri...

324372519_Screenshot(793).thumb.png.169165707772a127f24d789548bfb8f3.png

Fair argument... just thought it might help his aim.

Quite sure it says destroyed by ramming.

• Cool 2

Players
8,799 posts
8,664 battles
20 minutes ago, Migantium_Mashum said:

Yep, ramming always causes flooding :Smile-_tongue:

• Cool 2

Players
2,010 posts
2 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

Yep, ramming always causes flooding :Smile-_tongue:

Okay fair enough... just going to jumpstart my brain...

Players
2,010 posts
3 minutes ago, DariusJacek said:

Quite sure it says destroyed by ramming.

My brain is in snooze mode... and you are quite right.

[AAO]
Players
1,494 posts
20,088 battles
21 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

Yep, ramming always causes flooding

Any ram that does more than (iirc) 10% of the targets max hp to it will cause flooding anything below that will not.

Though this only happens at low speed rams, so it's irrelevant in most ramming-scenarios.

[NWP]
Beta Tester, Players
2,160 posts
6,130 battles

Watched the whole thing. Here goes:

Spoiler
  • Nice aggressive push at the start, love it. A bit more lead on the Sinop would most likely be a citadel.
  • The brawl at C happens, you defend well. You didn't get any good angles for shooting, although your positioning was alright. You should raise your aim a bit and also lead the shot a bit more. Nothing much more to improve. 
  • By shooting at Lion, roughly at 12:20 you missed an opportunity to do 20-30k to Bismarck. Watch the terrain indicator for your shots.
  • Important bit: At roughly 10:25 you shoot Lion, who is well angled right into his belt (the strongest part). Aim higher.
  • At roughly 9:00 the salvo was not properly locked on target, or you were extremely unlucky.
  • Rest of the game (the cleanup): You aimed too low mostly.

You fought against angled enemy BBs the whole game.
The few salvos you got on a broadside were either unlucky, or aimed too low.

Conclusion is: Aim higher, especially if the enemy is reversing and is angled.
Increaser your lead against faster ships.
Watch the terrain indicator for shots.

You still did 150k damage and you have played the game very well IMHO. I liked that you got stuck right in and helped your team a lot by tanking. Cheers!

[BBMM]
Players
5,554 posts
6,741 battles
18 hours ago, Migantium_Mashum said:

My brain is in snooze mode... and you are quite right.

Doesn't guarantee it cannot happen. WG balanz comrade, because reasons. 

Just in this case, it didn't happen. Cause: too many potatoes. Potato flooding.

Beta Tester
202 posts
5,019 battles
On 11/13/2019 at 1:54 PM, rnat said:

X

@Pappus

Reveal hidden contents

1salvo: (Lion) too angled to do much dmg anyway.

2nd salvo: (Sinop) too high and not enough lead.

3rd salvo: (Sinop) Sinop was still turning away, you aimed as if she was going straight.

4th salvo: (Lion) could have aimed a tad higher for super-structure shots but at that angle you're unlikely to do much anyways.

5th salvo: (Sinop) Aim looked good, but you should have shot the 2nd Lion that was giving you broadside

6th salvo: (Lion) aim looked ok as well, but Lion was already angling away, unlikely to do much dmg.

7th salvo: (Lion) Lion was still in the turn, you should have aimed a tad more to the left and away.

8-9th salvo: (Lion) aim looked good.

10th salvo: (Island) 8/8 hits. good job ^^

11th salvo: (Bismarck) bit of a gamble on not bouncing, otherwise good aim.

12th salvo: (Sov Soz.) almost guaranteed auto-bounce. should have gone for the turrets/superstructure

13th salvo. (Bisco) nothing to criticize.

14th salvo: (Sov. Soz) dito (you already noted that you didn't notice the DD)

15th salvo: (Lion) auto-bounce

16th salvo: (i forgot) risky to go for the hull shot at that angle. front turrets maybe. rear turrets should have gone for the superstructure/turrets or the FDG at C

17th salvo: (Lion) auto-bounce territory as well, either go for the Bisco (less angled), superstructures or the FDG at C

18th salvo: (Lion) this could have gone either way (bounces or not), i'd have waited for the ship to move forward a bit for a better angle

19th salvo: (Lion) maybe a tad too high but mainly you were unlucky with that one

20th salvo: (Lion) dito

21st salvo: (Lion) You should have waited a tad longer and gave it too much lead (prolly overestimated his speed in the turn ?)

22nd salvo: (Monarch) looks fine to me

23rd salvo: (Monarch) looked okay

I'd say the main problem you had there wasn't your aim but your target selection and to a lesser degree timing on those shots

(you were mostly reloading when someone got spotted broadside to you)

Thanks for the detailed analysis

On 11/13/2019 at 9:08 PM, Blixies said:

Watched the whole thing. Here goes:

Reveal hidden contents
  • Nice aggressive push at the start, love it. A bit more lead on the Sinop would most likely be a citadel.
  • The brawl at C happens, you defend well. You didn't get any good angles for shooting, although your positioning was alright. You should raise your aim a bit and also lead the shot a bit more. Nothing much more to improve. 
  • By shooting at Lion, roughly at 12:20 you missed an opportunity to do 20-30k to Bismarck. Watch the terrain indicator for your shots.
  • Important bit: At roughly 10:25 you shoot Lion, who is well angled right into his belt (the strongest part). Aim higher.
  • At roughly 9:00 the salvo was not properly locked on target, or you were extremely unlucky.
  • Rest of the game (the cleanup): You aimed too low mostly.

You fought against angled enemy BBs the whole game.
The few salvos you got on a broadside were either unlucky, or aimed too low.

Conclusion is: Aim higher, especially if the enemy is reversing and is angled.
Increaser your lead against faster ships.
Watch the terrain indicator for shots.

You still did 150k damage and you have played the game very well IMHO. I liked that you got stuck right in and helped your team a lot by tanking. Cheers!

I followed the advice of aiming higher and it indeed made the result much much better especially on long distance shots.

The terrain indicator I don't trust since it is sometimes wrong and shows blocked even if a fair number of shots can make it through.

[AAO]
Players
1,494 posts
20,088 battles
4 hours ago, Pappus said:

The terrain indicator I don't trust since it is sometimes wrong and shows blocked even if a fair number of shots can make it through.

I think this is how it was designed. It shows up whenever as at least 1 turret is blocked.

Sign in to follow this