Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Fogs1

Massachusetts or Alaska?

13 comments in this topic

[SEES]
Players
36 posts
2,862 battles

Thinking of getting one of these. I've seen reviews for both but would like to know the opinions of you guys. Both look like fun.

[CATS]
Players
28,903 posts
15,122 battles

Depends on your available captains and/or elite captains XP.

For Massa, you need at least a 14 point captain, better if you have a 18 point captain who is setup for secondary skills.

Alaska works well with a 10 point captain.

• Cool 2

[NWP]
Beta Tester, Players
2,160 posts
6,666 battles

If you like secondary builds, there is none better than the Massa.
If you like heavy cruisers, Alaska is alright (I would still rather play the Buffalo though).

There is not much more to it, fren.

[I-J-N]
Players
5,730 posts

It's been said you need a dedicated captain for the Masachusetsu as it is so different from the rest of the USN BB's. Not good if you want to use it for training, also you really have to like brawling. How effective that is in the current meta is an altogether other issue.

[NWP]
Players
3,154 posts
17,390 battles
1 hour ago, Blixies said:

If you like secondary builds, there is none better than the Massa.
If you like heavy cruisers, Alaska is alright

This. Just choose if you want a BB or a CA.

Both are great ships, albeit with a totally different role and  thus gameplay style.

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
6,411 posts
14,935 battles
4 hours ago, Fogs1 said:

Thinking of getting one of these. I've seen reviews for both but would like to know the opinions of you guys. Both look like fun.

I have both (and suck in both!); for me, it comes down to a few elements of practicality:

• Which game-play style is likely to be more fun for you - brawling BB, or (radar equipped) super-cruiser.
  • MA has the dubious pleasure of T8 MM; just something to be aware of.
  • Do you have a particular use for either of the tiers they belong to e.g. AK was quite handy in a T9 season of Clans not too long ago.
  • Which one will you tend to do better with; better performance obviously generally producing better rewards.
  • What does your captain availability look like - as others have said, MA pretty much requires a dedicated captain (although I think you might be able to use the same one effectively on Georgia, if you ever get her) with the emphasis on secondaries.

If I were going to pick just one, it would probably be MA, but only because she is different to most other things in the game (and I like playing things with good secondaries); YMMV of course!

[SHAD]
Players
3,294 posts
13,449 battles

Buy the Mass and grind freeXP for the Alaska. Both are very strong ships so I’m sure you’d be happy with either.

• Cool 1

Players
3,261 posts
11,482 battles
5 minutes ago, Fogs1 said:

Thanks for your advice guys, I think i'll go with the Mass.

Nice pick and you have listed 2 of my Fav ships. Love them both.

Mass for now but Alaska will serve you well in the future. 

Like someone has already said, you need a dedicated captain with alot of skill points to get the most out of it.

You have a tier 8 that does well when up-tiered (due to it's quick heal), unlike some ships so that is a bonus.

[AMOK]
Players
1,965 posts
8,654 battles
Vor 15 Stunden, Blixies sagte:

(I would still rather play the Buffalo though).

:cap_wander:

Players
2,147 posts
16,419 battles

Massachussets is more of a meme "hurr durr go full secondary and have fun" ship, while Alaska could be considered a ship for more serious / competitive play. In order to play the Massa to it's strength (and get the most fun out of it), you need to go for a secondary build - your main battery isn't all that accurate and if you're going to use a bog standard bb tank build, you'll do way better in an NC or Alabama.

Alaska is a good ship which I find boring to play. Highly subjective, can't really put my finger on why that is. YMMV. Personally I find the Massa more fun in randoms, but if there was a t8 ranked or CB, Massa wouldn't be my choice at all, and in t9 competitive Alaska is a strong pick. 

tl;dr - for derpy fun in randoms, go Massa and spec for secondaries. For anything else, go with Alaska.

Sign in to follow this