You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Filipin00

What everyone thinks, but nobody wants to talk about...

43 comments in this topic

[UAC]
Players
650 posts
2,210 battles

I see many excellent mods on the modding section on this and forum of other servers, but....

Why are there so little to no plane model swap mods? Historical air groups for Kaga? Ju-87 for Graf Zeppelin?

Why are there almost no guides on how to do it? Of course, I mean only model swap with models already present in the game(of which there are plenty, and most unused).

Why are these kinds of mods so unpopular? Texture and skin mods are fine, but seriously, I bet there are so many people that would want these kinds of mods...:Smile-_tongue:

• Cool 2

[G-S-W]
[G-S-W]
Players
1,204 posts
4,547 battles

I guess one of the most competent Guys to talk about that would be @juger65. He has got the inside view in (almost) every aspect regarding modding this game.

• Cool 2

[UAC]
Players
650 posts
2,210 battles
1 minute ago, Jethro_Grey said:

Everyone? X for doubt. 

There's this thing called "figure of speech"....:Smile_hiding:

[ALONE]
Modder
2,023 posts
13,209 battles

I love such clear thread-titles. :cap_horn:

To answer your request:

Ship (and plane)-models are not part of the files that can be modded. They are encrypted, and even if you would change them, they would not be loaded by the client.

Today I learned that I was wrong.

Players
6,327 posts
245 battles
16 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

Even if it were possible it is forbidden.

Oh? Why is that the case?

Model swaps in world of tanks are fine. As they don't actually change the hitboxes but simply how your model looks from client side.

Unless wargaming updated their modding procedures from when i last saw them (has been awhile).

Also didn't realise it wasn't do able here.

reference to back up muh claims.

https://wgmods.net/?tags=21

https://wgmods.net/?tags=21,16

[DREAD]
Players
9,184 posts
6,440 battles
2 hours ago, Filipin00 said:

I see many excellent mods on the modding section on this and forum of other servers, but....

Why are there so little to no plane model swap mods? Historical air groups for Kaga? Ju-87 for Graf Zeppelin?

Why are there almost no guides on how to do it? Of course, I mean only model swap with models already present in the game(of which there are plenty, and most unused).

Why are these kinds of mods so unpopular? Texture and skin mods are fine, but seriously, I bet there are so many people that would want these kinds of mods...:Smile-_tongue:

Model swaps used to be a thing in the early days (like mounting a jet as your spotter plane...) - however at some point WG rearranged some stuff. Since then we can’t access the file anymore which governs which modules to load. Meaning - even if the swap works you will have trouble with the modules which are shared modules btw. 

I am not sure btw if model swap is forbidden. When I asked Sub_Octavian about making files available for 3D modelling Modding he helped a little with that. 

Not sure if there is an official position on that matter.

On your specific request: the Ju87 model is very low quality (like everything related to the RTS mini game) so model swapping wouldn’t be great as the models would look quite bad I fear.

• Cool 1

[UAC]
Players
650 posts
2,210 battles
2 minutes ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

Model swaps used to be a thing in the early days (like mounting a jet as your spotter plane...) - however at some point WG rearranged some stuff. Since then we can’t access the file anymore which governs which modules to load. Meaning - even if the swap works you will have trouble with the modules which are shared modules btw. 

I am not sure btw if model swap is forbidden. When I asked Sub_Octavian about making files available for 3D modelling Modding he helped a little with that. 

Not sure if there is an official position on that matter.

On your specific request: the Ju87 model is very low quality (like everything related to the RTS mini game) so model swapping wouldn’t be great as the models would look quite bad I fear.

I've actually found a camo remover mod on the already mentioned NA forum that removes camo from GZ planes giving them the same look (camo and the cross) on them that JU-87s had before them so at least they resemble those JU-87s a bit.

On the other hand, someone had literally made a hakuryu/midway torpedo bomber for hosho plane model swap.....tried it, it's legit and it works.

[ALONE]
Modder
2,023 posts
13,209 battles
Vor 48 Minuten, Filipin00 sagte:

I've actually found a camo remover mod on the already mentioned NA forum that removes camo from GZ planes giving them the same look (camo and the cross) on them that JU-87s had before them so at least they resemble those JU-87s a bit.

On the other hand, someone had literally made a hakuryu/midway torpedo bomber for hosho plane model swap.....tried it, it's legit and it works.

Ey, that sounds nice. Thanks, gonna take a look there :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

[UAC]
Players
650 posts
2,210 battles
[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
13,105 posts
18,856 battles
1 hour ago, Filipin00 said:

Is that so? :Smile_coin:

Yes.

The mod is swapping existing assets, not implementing new ones and is therefore not in violation of the rules.

[UAC]
Players
650 posts
2,210 battles
2 minutes ago, Smeggo said:

Thanks to the tutorial (and a lot of fixing with the outdated ModSDK) I just got greenlight for my "Sea Hornets on Audacious" mod: :Smile_great:

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/204459-all-sea-hornets-on-audacious/

shot-19_11_11_14_47.23-0019.thumb.JPG.2f27ee144be3c1f69ae5c961b64f6b94.jpg.bfe625a7bdd6727a54ea2e348b4ad049.jpg

Saw it, looks awesome, I've seen sea hornets on the indomitable and they look awesome. I would rather have them than wyverns so - cool stuff. :Smile_medal:

• Cool 1

Players
85 posts
3,707 battles

I still don’t understand why WG didn’t use the real-life Hawker Sea Fury as a late tier Royal Navy aircraft, or even Corsairs for that matter - the Navy used plenty of Lend-Lease aircraft as well as the normally less-developed or stop-gap British types.

The Sea Fury was capable of shooting down early MiGs, why on earth did they not use it?

• Cool 1

Players
9,327 posts
10,972 battles
12 minutes ago, Fodder1978 said:

The Sea Fury was capable of shooting down early MiGs, why on earth did they not use it?

That could be the reason:cap_hmm:

I guess I might try to tinker to get AD Skyraiders as top planes for Midway instead Destroyers, or remove that abomination Tenrai is from Haku.

• Cool 3

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
13,105 posts
18,856 battles
2 hours ago, Panocek said:

or remove that abomination Tenrai is from Haku.

Do tell if you succeed. The Tenrais are pretty much the primary reason why I don't play Haku nearly as often.

• Cool 1

Players
6,327 posts
245 battles
11 hours ago, Panocek said:

That could be the reason:cap_hmm:

I guess I might try to tinker to get AD Skyraiders as top planes for Midway instead Destroyers, or remove that abomination Tenrai is from Haku.

whats wrong with miss tenrai?

Players
9,327 posts
10,972 battles
2 minutes ago, CptBarney said:

whats wrong with miss tenrai?

Twin engine land based interceptor. On a carrier. Carrying torps and bombs.

Its rivaled only by Grafs TA-152 in terms of stupid:cap_tea:

• Cool 2

Players
6,327 posts
245 battles
2 minutes ago, Panocek said:

They could use Yokosuka P1Y and teh myojo.

I have no clue what planes the popaku has nor miss haku.

not sure if they would fit either way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yokosuka_D3Y

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yokosuka_P1Y

[RFTN]
Players
232 posts
1,511 battles
7 minutes ago, Panocek said:

except TA-152C's were the planned planes for the graf zeppelin

Players
9,327 posts
10,972 battles
5 minutes ago, CptBarney said:

Yokosuka P1Y

Another land based aircraft. And a BIG one at that, closer to medium bomber actually

5 minutes ago, CptBarney said:

I have no clue what planes the popaku has nor miss haku.

One does not simply check in game?

I know its almost 11am, but wake the fluff up and get morning coffee:cap_tea:

• Funny 1