You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
loppantorkel

What do you enjoy most in WoWs?

102 comments in this topic

[UNICS]
Players
4,308 posts
15,747 battles

Simple question but aside from those games where you through some great RNG or MM get multiple citadels, get 200k damage or carries the team the last second to a win - what type of games, ships and aspects of the game draw you in and still enjoy?

What aspects detract from this enjoyment?

The ships I enjoy most at the moment are New Orleans + occasional high tier dds, mostly shima nowadays. Cvs don't bother me as much as before. They detract from the dd games somewhat due to their spotting, but usually they're not the issue they used to be. They do force a more campy game though and probably makes the meta a bit worse as a result.

Why I enjoy these ships and the New Orleans specifically is because it's a clean ship, pretty similar to the shima. No gimmicks. I don't need to no much about armour schemes or specific features. In NO I've got HE and excellent AP, good manouverability and good concealment which makes for game of positioning and local tactics. Shima mostly torps, great concealment, same basics in positioning, supporting with spotting and occasional great damage games when in a lucky spot. Pretty simple ships both in terms of gameplay and there's no need to camp, bowtank, sit in smoke, etc. Just sail around and pay attention.

Detractors: As most players here, I too get frustrated by the competence of the teammates some games. In mid tier games it can be somewhat expected but in high tiers, there probably should be some sort of soft check. Honestly not sure if bots are employed, either by WG or the playerbase.

Imbalance of ships: Some ships - like the Smolensk and to a lesser degree the Kremlin - hurt the game by just being broken or not well balanced. Smolensk in particular changes the meta of the games that include it, for the worse. It shouldn't have been released in this state and it shouldn't continue to be sold in this state.

It's still a good game, but I try to pay more attention to what I enjoy about it. It's a game after all and should only be played for enjoyment.

• Cool 12

Players
6,127 posts
10,292 battles

What I enjoy most: Playing divi with the guys I know for years, end of list.

What I hate most: Idiots on high tiers, people that cant read, cant think, cant teamplay, cant play at all, WG forcing grind after grind on me, stupid min-max-ship designs that are getting more and more, that WG took my favourite scenarion and doesnt bring them back, CV rework, retarded camos that have nothing to do with historical warships aka space camo and alike, shitty port UI (dont want to go into details, we all know the tons of flaws)

Im sure I can come up with more but I dont want to sound too negative?

• Cool 7

[DREAD]
Players
9,231 posts
6,465 battles

At the moment I like the game pretty much.

Pros:

- the awesome and detailed ship models 

- immersion 

- CVs

- DDs

- BBs

Cons:

- not really into cruisers at the moment 

- repetitive

- very simplistic game mechanics (shooting down HP bags only instead of buoyancy, modules, etc) 

- fantasy Refits on Dreadnoughts Break immersion completely 

- toxicity in the community 

On the radar Radar:

- Subs.. well let’s see how that turns out 

• Cool 4

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
13,185 posts
18,932 battles

- Being able to :etc_swear: all over enemy ships regardless of what class, build or how skilled they are with glorious rework

- proving to everyone that CVs are at least just as powerful as they were previously

Everything else is a :etc_swear:show.

1 hour ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

- immersion 

- CVs
[...]

- very simplistic game mechanics (shooting down HP bags only instead of buoyancy, modules, etc) 

- fantasy Refits on Dreadnoughts Break immersion completely 

So when it is something you like but completely ruins the immersion, it's a gameplay concession. But if it is not, it's immersion breaking? :cap_hmm:

• Cool 2
  • Bad 2

[NOCAP]
Players
5,610 posts
11,956 battles

Only Clanbattles and kots, coordinated gameplay is a whole different world from random.

I play events maybe 1-2 times for initial rewards and in randoms its mostly frustrating, not only because the player levels are so low but also cause everybody instantly starts rambling in chat how its everybodies elses fault. Combine this with a few broken ships like kremlin and smolensk and the glorious cv rework and it gets kinda hard to find reasons to stay :Smile_honoring: I guess once CVs getting forced into cb thats that, the 4v4 t8 brawl next month will be a shitshow 

• Cool 1

[HOO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
3,240 posts

The ship-models, the thought that went into the models of the ships and that it's not terribly fast-paced. And the clan that I'm in, those are nice people

Shame about virtually everything else that surrounds it though, from community handling, events/"events", lootbox-infestation, grinds-upon-grinds and obvious moneygrabs to the disdain shown to veterans that stuck with the game throughout the years (free handouts only to new players and returnees). I like the game, but I feel absolutely not appreciated by the team behind it.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
950 posts
15,153 battles

Degradation of the player base. Every match is like a new experience, showing just how infinite the limits of stupidity really are.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 6

[HOO]
Players
1,863 posts
3,571 battles
43 minutes ago, MrFingers said:

And the clan that I'm in, those are nice people

^THIS^

The ship models.

The amount of stuff we actually get for free

Cons

The HE driven meta

Community Toxicity. Although the frustration is understandable, with the state of the player base and current game meta, along with the apparent RU bias, and the relentless increase of micro transactions and loot boxes to progress or be competitive seeming to be a move towards P2W. But as long as we continue to open our wallets, pay and play WG will do nothing

• Cool 2

[RODS]
Players
1,136 posts
6,960 battles

Historic ships,  what I mostly dislike are paper ships that never existed

As a BB main I recently switched to DD:s and I am having a lot of fun with them

• Cool 2

Players
3,084 posts
13,783 battles

Dislikes: The player base apart from those I div up with, my clan and a hand full of other player I come across with brains as most of them don’t. Why? Coz most of this player base are whiny, entitled and unrealistic in expectations of this game. Who only moan moan moan and moan some more when they struggle so demand nothing but buffs rather than face a challenge. Who overlook all the good things but just won’t let some of the not good things go.

And BB babies. Erugh.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[INTRO]
[INTRO]
Players
1,300 posts
15,645 battles

That it's a thinking mans game.

You have to reevaluate the situation over and over again. Use you experience and knowledge to devise a plan and hopefully come out on top.

Nothing is written, nothing is given. What are you going to do?

• Cool 8

[RODS]
Players
1,136 posts
6,960 battles
2 hours ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

Yeah, imagine if you recieve a torp hit that reduces your speed for the rest of the game, a partially damaged rudder or aiming system (zoom in) knocked out

[TAYTO]
Players
681 posts
8,236 battles

The base game is very nice, you are challenged to be the best you can on the class and ship you are driving. 

I like when you can use your skills, learn from your mistakes and progress.

I hate CVs. They kill the game for me.

• Bad 1

[DREAD]
Players
9,231 posts
6,465 battles
1 hour ago, El2aZeR said:

So when it is something you like but completely ruins the immersion, it's a gameplay concession. But if it is not, it's immersion breaking? :cap_hmm:

Such as?

[DREAD]
Players
9,231 posts
6,465 battles
6 minutes ago, Ronchabale said:

Yeah, imagine if you recieve a torp hit that reduces your speed for the rest of the game, a partially damaged rudder or aiming system (zoom in) knocked out

Well obviously it would need to be tested to what degree this would still be fun. Could be anything from temporary to permanent. On the other hand - the fact that ships have full combat effectiveness even on 1 HP and then suddenly explode doesn’t feel especially right if you look at how real Naval battles went. 

I mean - it’s ok but I could appreciate a tiny bit of additional “semi-realistic” mechanics to improve immersion - which I find pretty important for my own fun. But I am sure there are different opinions on that. However OP asked for opinions

• Cool 3

[NMA]
Players
1,036 posts
17,300 battles

Basically what @Hanse77SWE said. I like the thinking element of the game, planning and executing strategies and the fact that things can change in any given moment. Clan battles and competitive like kots emphasize that even more as teams are usually on the same level skill wise. Unlike randoms where steamrolls became too often.

I don't want to talk about the negatives here, we all know what they are. Lets keep it positive for a change, remind each other why we like and play this game.

• Cool 2

[RODS]
Players
1,136 posts
6,960 battles
29 minutes ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

the fact that ships have full combat effectiveness even on 1 HP and then suddenly explode doesn’t feel especially right if you look at how real Naval battles went. 

Yep, it is a bit stupid.

The IRL Bismarck took a couple of days beating before she was completely broken, in the end she wasn´t even returning fire but was still afloat

• Cool 2

Players
7,468 posts
8,292 battles

Pros:

• Clan mates
  • People I see on the boards and such
  • trying to actually get good at the game

Cons:

• Clan mates
  • People I see on the boards and such
  • things that seem absolutely broken
  • my favourite ships getting turned into horrifying premiums

And yes, I do enjoy CVs, but I'm not going to pretent that the current system is a proper way to implement them and frankly, even though pre-rework was harder for me, I'd be all for a solution to this rework (that will never come).

• Cool 1

Players
4,408 posts
7,593 battles

Long games, where you're one of the last 2/3 ships alive, where you can make a difference, where your skill is the difference between victory and defeat, those are the games I live for.

And thanks to SkyPox, those games no longer exist, so I mostly don't play any more.

• Cool 2

[UAC]
Players
651 posts
2,210 battles
2 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

- Being able to :etc_swear: all over enemy ships regardless of what class, build or how skilled they are with glorious rework

- proving to everyone that CVs are at least just as powerful as they were previously

Everything else is a :etc_swear:show.

Prove me wrong, but why do you always bring negativity and :etc_swear: talk to every discussion on this forum. I've yet to see your actual constructive criticism that brings value to a discussion.

Like I said, prove me wrong, but every post I see from you is a sarcasm-loaded bomb full of feces that ruins the civilized discussion going on....:Smile_facepalm:

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
13,185 posts
18,932 battles
1 hour ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

Such as?

See everything listed in CV thread previously.

22 minutes ago, Filipin00 said:

Prove me wrong, but why do you always bring negativity and :etc_swear: talk to every discussion on this forum. I've yet to see your actual constructive criticism that brings value to a discussion.

So how is this not constructive? Reworked CVs in their fundamental gameplay principles are literally designed to ruin the game experience for everyone else. If they couldn't do that, they become worthless. How is it any surprising that I no longer enjoy every other aspect of the game?

• Cool 3
  • Bad 1