Jump to content
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
El2aZeR

Please revert auto pilot changes

48 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
13,221 posts
18,952 battles

Title says it all. Like a lot of aspects of the rework the new auto pilot is objectively worse than before. It ignores easily made turns, viable paths through islands and makes ridiculously illogical decisions even when doing something as simple as turning to one side so that you have to fiddle around with it for ages and potentially trigger the mouse bug.

 

Thus it would be more than an improvement to go back to the old auto pilot.

  • Cool 10
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
2,106 posts
9,031 battles

Revert to when?

 

I don't remember the auto pilot being good at any point in time. At least not since I'm playing - a year.

  • Cool 3
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
13,221 posts
18,952 battles
2 hours ago, Palubarac said:

Revert to when?

 

I don't remember the auto pilot being good at any point in time. At least not since I'm playing - a year.

 

Back to the beginning of the rework I'd say. With the option to reverse but without any of the "improvements" WG has done.

 

True, it was never that good to begin with but it was workable. Now it's basically RNG whether auto pilot does what you want or not.

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[AAO]
Players
1,494 posts
20,080 battles
5 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

Now it's basically RNG whether auto pilot does what you want or not.

Gotta be honest i don't really play my CVs close to islands much but are there some specific situations I should look out for to see this in action ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
393 posts
1,295 battles
7 hours ago, ForlornSailor said:

hmm... but spreadsheet says, its better then before? you must be wrong @El2aZeR ^^

 

Oh and btw the fun really starts, when a friendly rams you.

Or when the CV on 'auto-pilot' rams your cruiser (trying to improve my cruiser WR from abysmal 24%.......) out from behind an island from where you were shelling 4 reds and doesn't stop or say anything in chat.

What was a CV even doing that close to the caps at the start of a game!

  • Funny 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
6,452 posts
245 battles
1 hour ago, Molly_Delaney said:

Or when the CV on 'auto-pilot' rams your cruiser (trying to improve my cruiser WR from abysmal 24%.......) out from behind an island from where you were shelling 4 reds and doesn't stop or say anything in chat.

What was a CV even doing that close to the caps at the start of a game!

FInding the golden pot of superglue.

  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[JRM]
Players
5,544 posts
22,760 battles
8 hours ago, Skurfa said:

Nah, it's good....

 

I can sail my BB..... shoot with one hand, drink beer with the other....

Nope it doesnt count, if you were a proper beer BB enthusiast you would master drinking it between salvos... :Smile_trollface:

  • Funny 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
393 posts
1,295 battles
25 minutes ago, CptBarney said:

FInding the golden pot of superglue.

Wallpaper paste; tastes much nicer!:cap_cool:

  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
9,431 posts
11,039 battles
12 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

Title says it all. Like a lot of aspects of the rework the new auto pilot is objectively worse than before. It ignores easily made turns, viable paths through islands and makes ridiculously illogical decisions even when doing something as simple as turning to one side so that you have to fiddle around with it for ages and potentially trigger the mouse bug.

 

Thus it would be more than an improvement to go back to the old auto pilot.

maybe this is "El2aZeR nerf" @MrConway talked about? :cap_hmm:

 

It sounds just like typical WG balancing, instead removing source of problem they make sure its simply not fun to play with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
123 posts
306 battles

Hello.

 

The autopilot shows the path it's supposed to take as a white line on the minimap. I personally haven't run into problems with it yet and my ship followed the white line as shown. 

Here is a picture I made that explains where to click on the big map to set turns correctly. This picture is not supposed to educate El2aZeR or other experienced  players and is not meant to offend you.

 

 

 

20191109_114111.jpg

  • Cool 3
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
6,452 posts
245 battles
2 hours ago, Molly_Delaney said:

Wallpaper paste; tastes much nicer!:cap_cool:

I thought the guinea pig god of forums and all that is digital ate dat already cus of boredom?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[THESO]
Players
555 posts
10,822 battles
2 hours ago, Rose_Dikinson said:

The autopilot shows the path it's supposed to take as a white line on the minimap. I personally haven't run into problems with it yet and my ship followed the white line as shown. 

I have two main issues with it. While it no longer rams into islands all the time, the autopilot sometimes disengages for no apparent reason. The path was set, no other ships were nearby, yet the autopilot doesn't complete the maneuver plotted out by itself. There's nothing the player can do in this case except try again.

 

The other thing is that reversing should be explicit. In the CV you often have situations where you'd like to pull back, even slowly, but definitely not go forward and/or turn around. It's much nicer to play when you take off towards the enemy.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
123 posts
306 battles
Vor 7 Minuten, asalonen sagte:

the autopilot sometimes disengages for no apparent reason.

Hello asalonen.

 

Are you saying the autopilot just deletes the route or suddenly picks a new one?

 

Your reversing problem might happen because you set the waypoint to reverse to far behind the ship. Always make sure that the path of the autopilot drawn on the map is a straight line behind your ship and set multiple waypoints if you want it to reverse further. See my drawn picture as an example.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[THESO]
Players
555 posts
10,822 battles
12 minutes ago, Rose_Dikinson said:

Are you saying the autopilot just deletes the route or suddenly picks a new one?

It just deletes it. I imagine it doesn't manage to follow the plan, and eventually just stops trying. This only happens near islands. 

 

Edit: I don't think the autopilot ever diverts from the plan. It's just that near islands it sometimes lays out a plan that it can't follow. In that case it disengages instead of beaching, which is sort of OK. But this happens too easily. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
6,452 posts
245 battles
5 minutes ago, Rose_Dikinson said:

Hello asalonen.

 

Are you saying the autopilot just deletes the route or suddenly picks a new one?

 

Your reversing problem might happen because you set the waypoint to reverse to far behind the ship. Always make sure that the path of the autopilot drawn on the map is a straight line behind your ship and set multiple waypoints if you want it to reverse further. See my drawn picture as an example.

Id rather they just bin the bloody thing and give us back manual control and stop dumbing down the game for simpletons who can barely breath and think at the same time.

 

The dumbing down of games is getting pretty tiresome recently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
123 posts
306 battles
Gerade eben, CptBarney sagte:

Id rather they just bin the bloody thing and give us back manual control and stop dumbing down the game for simpletons who can barely breath and think at the same time.

 

The dumbing down of games is getting pretty tiresome recently.

I disagree. The autopilot is mandatory as while you control the planes to at the same time stear and maneuver your ship is next to impossible.

It is the only solution that guarantees an enjoyable experience.

You can always try to have the game running on two devices at the same time. On one you control the planes while on the other you play a bow tanking battleship. Playing a stationary battleship should produce the same amount of stress as moving your CV manually. But on the other device you stear your planes to avoid flak and attack surface ships. 

It might have been possible during the original CV implementation if you played the CV on the most basic level or on lower tiers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
6,452 posts
245 battles
1 minute ago, Rose_Dikinson said:

I disagree. The autopilot is mandatory as while you control the planes to at the same time stear and maneuver your ship is next to impossible.

It is the only solution that guarantees an enjoyable experience.

You can always try to have the game running on two devices at the same time. On one you control the planes while on the other you play a bow tanking battleship. Playing a stationary battleship should produce the same amount of stress as moving your CV manually. But on the other device you stear your planes to avoid flak and attack surface ships. 

It might have been possible during the original CV implementation if you played the CV on the most basic level or on lower tiers.

I guess so, but i still want the choice, auto pilot is terrible takes too long to turn and power up has fit when you give it simple instructions and tries to do bloody loop de loops half the time.

 

It was possible at every tier even with high level of gameplay, just far more difficult. I was able to dodge torps so much easier as well against dd’s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[ALONE]
Modder
2,059 posts
13,293 battles

I like the new autopilot.

He reduces speed at curves for optimal turning circles and can drive extrem narrow parallel to shores.

That can be nice for DD-ambushes or to park your CA next to an island.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
123 posts
306 battles
Vor 7 Minuten, CptBarney sagte:

I guess so, but i still want the choice, auto pilot is terrible takes too long to turn and power up has fit when you give it simple instructions and tries to do bloody loop de loops half the time.

 

It was possible at every tier even with high level of gameplay, just far more difficult. I was able to dodge torps so much easier as well against dd’s

How do you expect to stear your ship precisely while controlling and flying planes?

Excuse my rudeness but have you forgotten that you have to abandon the flight by pressing F (or your individually assigned key) to be able to have full control over your carrier? How do you expect it to work if you don't want to abandon your flight?

Arrow keys and minimap control? You would have to scale the minimap so large and still wouldn't even be able to see torps to dodge or make precise maneuvers around islands or shores. Again, please excuse my rudeness but you are clearly not thinking rationally and just venting. You are possibly misusing the autopilot too.

 

It turns just as your CV would turn if manually controlled. However it does not always execute turns at full speed which results in tighter turning circles.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
6,452 posts
245 battles
11 minutes ago, Rose_Dikinson said:

How do you expect to stear your ship precisely while controlling and flying planes?

Have it so that when i press 1 i can control the steering and throttle of my ship and let the planes fly at a slower pace than usual so that proper adjustments can be made.

 

Quote

Excuse my rudeness but have you forgotten that you have to abandon the flight by pressing F (or your individually assigned key) to be able to have full control over your carrier? How do you expect it to work if you don't want to abandon your flight?

Well hopefully what i mentioned will do that. Maybe.

 

Idk.

 

Quote

Arrow keys and minimap control? You would have to scale the minimap so large and still wouldn't even be able to see torps to dodge or make precise maneuvers around islands or shores. Again, please excuse my rudeness but you are clearly not thinking rationally and just venting. You are possibly misusing the autopilot too.

Not really, unless your eyesight is that poor. You can make far better manuvouers around islands with manual compared to automatic since the latter is always limited to a set numbers of rules the former having far greater freedom and the ability of foresight. No the autopilot is terrible at least the old version worked better in terms of getting away or turning. I never had issues with making out what direction torps are going or coming from.

 

Quote

 

It turns just as your CV would turn if manually controlled. However it does not always execute turns at full speed which results in tighter turning circles.

 

Not really, its artifical, humans turn at any rate, point, speed, velocity, reason etc. a programme can't.

 

Also theres nothing wrong with having a choice eitherway. But then this proves that the reeeeeework is utter shite and should be binned if you can't even do something as basic as control your own ship.

 

Not too mention the other numerous reasons why this reework failed.

 

The more i play the reeework the more i want the old carriers back and for wargaming to actually fix things instead of focusing purely on profit.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
123 posts
306 battles
Vor 1 Minute, CptBarney sagte:

Have it so that when i press 1 i can control the steering and throttle of my ship and let the planes fly at a slower pace than usual so that proper adjustments can be made.

You underestimate the amount of time it takes to make those maneuvers. Your planes would continue on flying at 100+kts. I doubt you would be done controlling your carrier after 20 seconds which are enough for your planes to already end up dead or out of position. Also even if you execute a maneuver in 20 seconds what is your carrier doing afterwards without further input from your side?

 

Have you considered losing out on damage per minute because your planes slow down every time you try controlling your carrier?

 

If you suggest to let the planes go "above the clouds" to be temporarily immune then that could be abused heavily and is out of the question. Any kind of large scale change such as your proposed one is nonsensical at this stage of the rework.

 

Vor 5 Minuten, CptBarney sagte:

No the autopilot is terrible at least the old version worked better in terms of getting away or turning. I never had issues with making out what direction torps are going or coming from.

In the old version you did control the CV via birds-eye view. This is not the case if you control it via the minimap which doesn't give any information about incoming torps. Also does not give correct information about your ships dimensions. You need to put more thought into it.....

 

Vor 7 Minuten, CptBarney sagte:

Not really, its artifical, humans turn at any rate, point, speed, velocity, reason etc. a programme can't.

You are forgetting about rudder shift and individual acceleration and turning circles. If you ordered your autopilot to make a right turn but suddenly want it to turn left for it to do so you will have to wait out 30 seconds for the sluggish rudder to turn. Human or not it's how the game works. If your CV is standing still and you order the autopilot to turn right it will very immediatly begin to turn and successfully complete it and continue with every other follow up command. 

What you are forgetting about is that if you controlled the CV during this whole time is that you would have to wait for at least 30 or more seconds to successfully complete such a maneuver.

Such 30 seconds can seem like a long time going past while flying your fast and responsive planes giving the illusion that the autopilot does not react in time while it does exactly what you asked it to do.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
6,452 posts
245 battles
14 minutes ago, Rose_Dikinson said:

You underestimate the amount of time it takes to make those maneuvers. Your planes would continue on flying at 100+kts. I doubt you would be done controlling your carrier after 20 seconds which are enough for your planes to already end up dead or out of position. Also even if you execute a maneuver in 20 seconds what is your carrier doing afterwards without further input from your side?

 

Have you considered losing out on damage per minute because your planes slow down every time you try controlling your carrier?

 

If you suggest to let the planes go "above the clouds" to be temporarily immune then that could be abused heavily and is out of the question. Any kind of large scale change such as your proposed one is nonsensical at this stage of the rework.

 

In the old version you did control the CV via birds-eye view. This is not the case if you control it via the minimap which doesn't give any information about incoming torps. Also does not give correct information about your ships dimensions. You need to put more thought into it.....

 

You are forgetting about rudder shift and individual acceleration and turning circles. If you ordered your autopilot to make a right turn but suddenly want it to turn left for it to do so you will have to wait out 30 seconds for the sluggish rudder to turn. Human or not it's how the game works. If your CV is standing still and you order the autopilot to turn right it will very immediatly begin to turn and successfully complete it and continue with every other follow up command. 

What you are forgetting about is that if you controlled the CV during this whole time is that you would have to wait for at least 30 or more seconds to successfully complete such a maneuver.

Such 30 seconds can seem like a long time going past while flying your fast and responsive planes giving the illusion that the autopilot does not react in time while it does exactly what you asked it to do.

 

 

You're rarely in a position with cv's to be executing complex manuveours hense why manual control wouldn't be an issue, Also i never suggested any immunity all that just that the planes fly slower thats all.

 

Also no cv takes that long too turn in general, the only one coming close is lexington. Regardless all you would need to do is press w 4 times and q or e once or twice for it to turn then the same amount if you want to go back to neutral.

 

Again there is no reason not too have this in the game.

 

Besides the previous autopilot was fine too some extent, it just needed to have better response times as when starting of from 0 knots the system would take a bit of time before going up to whatever speed before making the turn.

 

Sure you lose DPS thats obvious, but then thats not my fault they insisted on such a poor design choice. Could of given us the top down view while our planes are still moving like RTS. But then since they went for a selfish design for CV's im not surprised it's the way it is atm.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×