You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
ErickBloodGun

"Potatoe Factor" and "potatoe paradox"

36 comments in this topic

Players
192 posts
2,648 battles

The "potatoe factor" is a wild card every admiral in WOWS has to deal with.

Most of players address the negative outcome of a battle to certain kind of ships, often defined as OP (see Smolensk, Stalingrad and other typical examples of the renowned Russian bias).
However, I noted that also a team made of 4 smolensk can actually lose the battle. You can even lose with every dd of the enemy team being vanquished. At the end, winning or losing is not related to the ships being deployed, only to a very small degree. 

The "potatoe factor" is the only universal rule defining the course of a battle, and may increase or decrease according to the number of "potatoes" being present on your team. The "potatoe factor" is basically made of the number of "potatoes" at your side.

In this sense, a "potatoe" can be definied as a player, who is not necessarily unskilful from an aiming standpoint, who has no clue on how to move into the map and thus moves randomly, as a fly on a mirror that cannot reach the outside freedom anymore, absolutely ignoring every sort of objective and basis tactic.

The real issue about "potatoes" is that a "potatoe" may actually be generated randomly by other "potatoes": this happens when an average player (who is not a real "potatoe"), angry at contuing to lose battles - or performing badly -  due to the "potatoe factor", starts behaving like a "potatoe" ("I'm sick and tired about losing, no assistance, no cap!" / "Ok, no support, I keep sniping at J1" / "I'm sick of pusing alone, I stay in the group at spawn" / "I'm done losing for today, I stay very defensive and do nothing active" / "nobody spots for me, I spot for no-one").
It doesn't really mean this player is a "potatoe", but somehow he may be negatively influenced by the wrong play of other "potatoes". He is actually mad at "potatoes", but finding no other way to cope with a "potatoe" he becomes one of them.
This may happen for a day or two, but constantly repeating "potatoe" behaviors will ultimately leads an average, even decent player, to become a "potatoe".

This consequence (the "potatoe paradox") strongly enhances the "potatoe factor" and this can explain the rising of complaints about the number of "potatoes" being present nowadays in the game, also at t10. 

The "potatoe paradox" is thus the relentless and unstoppable increase of the number of "potatoes" by assimilation.

The "potatoe factor", being enhaced by the "potatoe paradox" constantly increases the "POTATOESNESS" of Wows, like a black hole, devouring and devouring player after player.

I would like to ask you commanders what are your thoughts about the "potatoe factor and paradox", and if you have felt this kind of assimilation to "potatoes" in certain moments of your WOWS experience.
Furthermore, considering we are all humans and the "potatoe paradox" is based on human weaknesses, feelings and sensations, how can we actually cope with it? 

How can we ultimately stop the "potatoe factor"?

• Cool 9
  • Funny 1

[OGHF]
Players
1,106 posts
18,788 battles
3 minutes ago, EiricBloodgun said:

This consequence (the "potatoe paradox") strongly enhances the "potatoe factor" and this can explain the rising of complaints about the number of "potatoes" being present nowadays in the game, also at t10. 

The "potatoe paradox" is thus the relentless and unstoppable increase of the number of "potatoes" by assimilation.

The "potatoe factor", being enhaced by the "potatoe paradox" constantly increases the "POTATOESNESS" of Wows, like a black hole, devouring and devouring player after player.

Mmmm, the flux capacitor needs re booting, then boil for 20mins, drain, add butter, seasoning & mash to a smooth fluffy consistency, enjoy.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2

[DAVY]
Players
2,560 posts
12,787 battles
36 minutes ago, EiricBloodgun said:

you can remove the 'e' from the end of potato...

• Cool 1
  • Funny 4

[SM0KE]
Players
4,919 posts
12,035 battles
25 minutes ago, Salentine said:

you can remove the 'e' from the end of potato...

If it's good enough for Dan Quayle...

(if I'm not the only old git around here)

• Cool 3

[SM0KE]
Players
4,919 posts
12,035 battles

For any Young Persons in the vicinity, this is what we're joking about: https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/64689/never-forget-time-dan-quayle-misspelled-potato

1 hour ago, EiricBloodgun said:

I'm not sure we can, really, not for the entire player base anyway.

Bear in mind that those of us on the forum are a small minority of the totality of players, and take the whole thing far more seriously than most (and some of us still suck at the game i.e. me).

The key thing is to try and separate each game from the one before, to minimise the emotional 'carry over' from whatever went horribly wrong last time. Take breaks. Drink tea. If you finish a game fuming, try and wait a bit before plunging into another, or let off steam in Coop for a bit.

• Cool 3

[TTTX]
[TTTX]
Players
4,608 posts
8,081 battles
38 minutes ago, CptBarney said:

My brain.

halp.

look at it this way... that's not a problem the majority of the playerbase is likely to have, for sheer lack of the appropriate organ... :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 6

Players
3,086 posts
13,789 battles
45 minutes ago, Tyrendian89 said:

look at it this way... that's not a problem the majority of the playerbase is likely to have, for sheer lack of the appropriate organ... :Smile_trollface:

Now Now, that's elitist peacock language there buddy :P

• Funny 4

[L4GG]
Players
2,715 posts
9,940 battles
4 hours ago, EiricBloodgun said:

Most of players address the negative outcome of a battle to certain kind of ships, often defined as OP (see Smolensk, Stalingrad and other typical examples of the renowned Russian bias).
However, I noted that also a team made of 4 smolensk can actually lose the battle. You can even lose with every dd of the enemy team being vanquished. At the end, winning or losing is not related to the ships being deployed, only to a very small degree. 

The "potatoe factor" is the only universal rule defining the course of a battle, and may increase or decrease according to the number of "potatoes" being present on your team. The "potatoe factor" is basically made of the number of "potatoes" at your side.

In this sense, a "potatoe" can be definied as a player, who is not necessarily unskilful from an aiming standpoint, who has no clue on how to move into the map and thus moves randomly, as a fly on a mirror that cannot reach the outside freedom anymore, absolutely ignoring every sort of objective and basis tactic.

The real issue about "potatoes" is that a "potatoe" may actually be generated randomly by other "potatoes": this happens when an average player (who is not a real "potatoe"), angry at contuing to lose battles - or performing badly -  due to the "potatoe factor", starts behaving like a "potatoe" ("I'm sick and tired about losing, no assistance, no cap!" / "Ok, no support, I keep sniping at J1" / "I'm sick of pusing alone, I stay in the group at spawn" / "I'm done losing for today, I stay very defensive and do nothing active" / "nobody spots for me, I spot for no-one").
It doesn't really mean this player is a "potatoe", but somehow he may be negatively influenced by the wrong play of other "potatoes". He is actually mad at "potatoes", but finding no other way to cope with a "potatoe" he becomes one of them.
This may happen for a day or two, but constantly repeating "potatoe" behaviors will ultimately leads an average, even decent player, to become a "potatoe".

I would like to ask you commanders what are your thoughts about the "potatoe factor and paradox", and if you have felt this kind of assimilation to "potatoes" in certain moments of your WOWS experience.
Furthermore, considering we are all humans and the "potatoe paradox" is based on human weaknesses, feelings and sensations, how can we actually cope with it? 

I don't know...

the last sprint was the toughest one of three I made ( t6, t7 and finally t8)

and seeing many scoreboards, it seems to me that potato players are the most influential and powerful players in the all game, they are capable of roflstomp a team and be roflstomed.

The truth is, a potato player is a wild card, highly unpredictable

• Cool 3

[THESO]
Moderator, Players
1,168 posts
8,101 battles
10 hours ago, EiricBloodgun said:

Hello,

You cannot, WG cannot and nobody can change that because it is human nature, unfortunately. A far more reasonable request and a fault I believe you can directly blame WG for would be to stop dumbing down the game and start encouraging player skill. Something which has not exactly been present in the game for a long while, especially with the additions of ships like the British BB line, the Smolensk, Stalingrad, Bourgogne, Benham, stupid skills like IFHE and RPF and silly changes like the torpedo nerfs, lowering of battleship citadels, the "spaced armour" rubbish etc. The list goes on and on... way too much die casting in this game.

This is a topic that has pretty much already been brought up and I've expressed my thoughts about it before and the topic has been, sort of, discussed in the following thread which you may find interesting.

Kind regards,

Minia

• Cool 2

Players
123 posts
306 battles

Hello.

Self awareness is the key in controlling your behavior in stressful situations.

Keep your feelings in check. Blame your own failures before searching for the failure of your teammates. Ignore unreasonable comments in chat. Don't engage in discussions about the course of battle and instead continue on and react to the changes of the gameflow accordingly.

Don't use your feelings to fuel your actions ingame.

Recognise yourself before recognising others.

If the game is lost then so be it.

• Cool 2

[HOO]
Players
1,865 posts
3,594 battles

I'm pretty sure alcohol and 'other' substances have an impact on the potatoe factor and paradox as well.

• Cool 1

[JRM]
Players
5,544 posts
22,760 battles
17 hours ago, EiricBloodgun said:

You cant but you can mitigate it, ie take a Midway, demolish everything in sight as fast as you can...

[BFS]
Beta Tester
1,791 posts
10,706 battles
17 hours ago, Verblonde said:

If it's good enough for Dan Quayle...

(if I'm not the only old git around here)

I still think the funniest thing he said when he was about to do a visit to central America was "I wish I had not given up Latin in school" (the area is referred to as Latin America and they speak Spanish)......

• Funny 1

Players
6,452 posts
245 battles
11 minutes ago, Skyllon said:

So is "Fish and Chips" synonym for burnt-out potato that is about to eat a torpedo?

Bangers and mash would be a better one lol. :Smile_veryhappy:

• Funny 1

[RODS]
Players
1,148 posts
6,988 battles

Potatoe(ing)  pəˈteɪtəʊ/θɪŋ

We all have done it and most of us are gonna do it again. 

New players and especially new players that bought their way into tier 9 with 50 battles of game experience are gonna do it a lot (all the time)

If the access to high tier battles is not limited by some gained level of experience we are gonna have to live with it.

Potatoes will Potate

[DSOTF]
Players
543 posts
10,426 battles
On 11/8/2019 at 8:34 PM, EiricBloodgun said:

Being potatoed by other potatoes depends in my opinion very much on how sure a player is about his decisions. Are they correct or not? Players unaware of the reasons for their defeats will not be able to find out reasons for a good and successful outcome. How can these players take increasingly right decisions and actions? They won't for sure. Instead these players will most likely state that win rate and stats are random and have nothing to do with their personal skill. Stopping the potato factor comes down to improving the skills, particularly situational awareness, of the players. If they cannot judge a situation correctly they cannot make the right decisions. As a result there will be a lot of random decisions.

Sure, everyone from time to time has a streak of defeats. The question is how to deal with it. Sometimes you get salty and emotional, sometimes you don't bother and just try again. In my experience it becomes worse if you are getting more and more angry after each defeat. Increasing anger makes me take bad decisions I would not take if my mind was clear. If your mind is not clear you cannot take right decisions. And if you take too many wrong decisions you of course will play like a potato. Sometimes just switching off the game stops the potato factor.

• Cool 1

[RODS]
Players
1,148 posts
6,988 battles
6 minutes ago, TheAlba2014 said:

If Peter the Potato Peeler could Peel Potatoes, how many Potatoes could Peter Peel? :cap_hmm:

You must also consider the carrot factor