You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
RamboCras

One side winning massively..

24 comments in this topic

[VLOOT]
Players
225 posts
17,353 battles

Once in a while, you have a game where one team will run over the other team and the losing team will get 1-2 kills and the game ends in like 12-15 min.

In my perception, this scenario is happening more frequently. Does anyone share this feeling?

Could it be that: if you have extremely overpowered ships (Smolensk, Benham, etc) being in the hands of 1-2-3 very good players on 1 side, and the other team being average but with the same ships, it's easier to overrun a team?

I find that even being on the winning team the game is less fun, who wants to overrun a team so hard? Because it goes so fast, less intensive exchanges, less heals are used and there is less damage to be farmed. But, I think the less damage farming is something we will be going to get used to with the coming of the subs who have hardly any damage to farm.

Do you guys share this experience?

• Cool 1

[PONY]
Beta Tester
5,807 posts
10,000 battles

The problem is not ships being OP ( i believe they are strong but not OP), the problem is the playerbase gets more and more worse.

• Cool 9
  • Bad 1

[TAYTO]
Players
681 posts
8,258 battles

I would like to know what is the cause. I can't explain it. When you are on the winning team it seems because everybody is doing the right thing no matter the odds, the mm or the OP ships on the other side.

Example: in 9 battle a side (very early in the morning), we lost our CV after 3 mins as the guy moved forward in a kamikaze move. We still won having lost only 3 ships. Their CV seemed to be very ineffective and their Smolensk didn't do much to be honest. Battle ended very quickly.

So, no idea really.

[LEEUW]
Players
1,996 posts
9,856 battles
7 minutes ago, RamboCras said:

Once in a while, you have a game where one team will run over the other team and the losing team will get 1-2 kills and the game ends in like 12-15 min.

source.gif.03bf66bd6453b677ca50814126de0759.gif

12-15 min? Oh you sweet summer child.... You can call yourself lucky. I've been experiencing more and more 6 minute games. Where either mine or the enemies DDs rush-yolo-die into the caps. 

Has nothing to do with ships being overpowered or skill unbalanced mm. It is because of the steady influx of extremely bad players into this game. 

• Cool 2
  • Funny 4

[VLOOT]
Players
225 posts
17,353 battles
1 minute ago, Igarigen said:

The problem is not ships being OP ( i believe they are strong but not OP), the problem is the playerbase gets more and more worse.

You always have 1 or 2 nob heads in your team, sailing into cap in a cruiser straight from the start, or some ships going around the outside and being out of play for 3-4-5 min. I just feel that the team is punished harder if you have players like that. Before the OP and Arcade-type ships, you could still stay in the game for a decent while. 

Also when it's 2 against 3, the 2 could hold out quite a while, now with the spam ships, 2 against 3 means it becomes 1-3 within 1-1,5 min when 1 of the 3 is a Smolenks/Colbert/Benham/Friesland/Haregumo/Kleber/Kitakaze/Mogador. Since we are getting more and more ships like this in the game, the balance in a fight is more quickly gone. 

If of the 3 was a Worcester and there were no mountains to hide behind, you could finish him off and make it a 2-2. Since the Smolensk has smoke, he can close into 12k, smoke up and make every shot count and reversing won't work cause he can shoot you for 4.7km. Pushing brings you in Smolensk torp range and perhaps other ships on another cap.

WoWs Wiki Team, Supertester, Privateer
1,869 posts
11,627 battles
11 minutes ago, RamboCras said:

Does anyone share this feeling?

yes I do, but from my experience it's not related to the ships, it's the players as more and more do think this is kind of an ego-shooter with much dakka-dakka in arcade-style. If you do check - e.g. with MM-Monitor - you can see that a lot of players really "suck". 

[COR3]
Players
1,321 posts
12,751 battles

The Problem is definitely witht he Playerbase. Not supporting Battleships , rather comically bad Destroyers and cruisers that are so far behind any Game Objective.

And its not getting much better. Good players are sparse now as the high tiers get more and more populated by the endless fields of Potatoes. :)

having a team above 50% WR is the exception to the Rule :)

3 minutes ago, GarrusBrutus said:

I've been experiencing more and more 6 minute games.

Just look at Garrus... such a Potato... totally his fault to *nods*

• Funny 1

Players
1,459 posts
13,714 battles

Roflstomps are probably a combination of factors: usually, it needs most of one team getting really bad players, with the few good ones in the worst possible spawn position, on a map that doesn't really favor their specific ships. Meanwhile the other team has the ships, spawn positions, and enough decent players to just push and kill.  End result, a game neither side can enjoy. I really hate being on either side of these.. And yes, @GarrusBrutus is quite correct, these games tend to last only 5-6 min. Can't last much longer than that when one team controls all the caps from the get go and has practically no losses while killing most of the enemy team... 1000 points are reached very easily when that happens.

• Cool 3

Players
2,265 posts
18,094 battles

If 1 team loses 2 crucial ships this game gets unbalanced exponentially very quickly. Add to that the rapid influx of low skilled or low experienced players (grind is easy to circumvent) and you have a recipe for disaster: a few bad players grouped in 1 team in crucial ships can easily trow balance off completely, making the match only about postponing the inevitable. This will only get worse over time as the percentage of bad players in higher tiers will grow due to the grind-requiered-only nature of the game design, the forgiving economy XP and credit wise and the multiple ways the marketing side of the game offers circumventing experience all together.

• Cool 4

Players
1,459 posts
13,714 battles
13 minutes ago, Europizza said:

If 1 team loses 2 crucial ships this game gets unbalanced exponentially very quickly. Add to that the rapid influx of low skilled or low experienced players (grind is easy to circumvent) and you have a recipe for disaster: a few bad players grouped in 1 team in crucial ships can easily trow balance off completely, making the match only about postponing the inevitable. This will only get worse over time as the percentage of bad players in higher tiers will grow due to the grind-requiered-only nature of the game design, the forgiving economy XP and credit wise and the multiple ways the marketing side of the game offers circumventing experience all together.

Also known as "failing upwards", which is how a lot of the player base gets to t10...

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 1

[ORM]
Players
132 posts
3,393 battles

i suspect a lot of the more recent players have come from the likes of COD etc and have been conditioned that the aim is to "rank up" as quick as possible to get access to the best weapons which makes winning easier, unfortunately for them in WOWS all that happens is they end up meeting players who also have the best weapons and in a lot of cases are far more experienced players.

• Cool 2

[-AP-]
Players
2,359 posts
5,736 battles

the biggest cause for this is that a team vs team game with no respawns is an inherently unstable design.

Picture an airplane with tilted-down wings. If it starts to lean a tiny bit in either direction, the wing design would cause it to tilt more and more in that direction until its flying upside down.

Beta Tester
2,104 posts
11,183 battles
2 hours ago, RamboCras said:

In my perception, this scenario is happening more frequently. Does anyone share this feeling?

Could it be that: if you have extremely overpowered ships (Smolensk, Benham, etc) being in the hands of 1-2-3 very good players on 1 side, and the other team being average but with the same ships, it's easier to overrun a team?

I find that even being on the winning team the game is less fun, who wants to overrun a team so hard? Because it goes so fast, less intensive exchanges, less heals are used and there is less damage to be farmed. But, I think the less damage farming is something we will be going to get used to with the coming of the subs who have hardly any damage to farm.

Can't say I've notice an increase in ROFL stomps compared to the situation before my previous break from the game.

I have the habbit of looking at the players' stats from both teams when the ROFL stomps happen, both when I win and lose, and there are common traits:

The losing team has more really really bad players of which two types stand out; the ones who either bought the JB, or any other premium BB, as their first PvP ship with less than 100 PvP battles played with 42% or below winrate and players with thousands of battles behind them and with a winrate below 45%.
The winning team sometimes have much better players but sometimes it is filled with just the same type of really really bad players in which case it is the least worst team that wins.

What really stands out though is the very low number of the average and above players I observe on any team compared to the number of really really bad ones - it is like that the majority of those have left the game and the ones left are either the bad and really bad ones with thousands of battles played or new bad ones.
In any case, after I began playing WOWS again it has been a rare occurence, when I checked the team members stats, where the average winrate of any team have not been below 47% winrate; which is curious given that the average overall winrate of all WoWS players are very close to 49 to 50%

• Cool 2

[SM0KE]
Players
4,917 posts
12,004 battles

Bear in mind, also, the 'snowball effect': this discussion happens a lot in WOT too, only I get the impression that the effect is perhaps more pronounced in Tanks.

Essentially, when one side loses a ship, the other has more guns to bring to bear on the survivors, so increasing the likelihood of one of those survivors being killed off as well; this process then repeats, if nothing is done to arrest it, so resulting in a roflstomp.

Obviously, massively over-simplifying, but that's the general gist.

It's the bit about arresting it that's crucial - a good player can sometimes prevent a few casualties turning into a roflstomp; having the right ship can help too. If you want to win, knowing this illustrates why (in general) you want to remove enemy guns from the game as quickly as possible, and why focus firing is so important too...

• Cool 2

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,717 posts
15,878 battles

Usually snowballing happens really fast if any or all DDs (and to a lesser extend also cruisers) of your team mess up and get deleted in the first 3 to 5min.

• Cool 2

Players
3,086 posts
13,789 battles

Ohhh it's nothing new. Here is a wonderful recent batch. Some of these games did not get past the 5th min. Frankly, I'm so used to it that I've just started to give up. I manged 3 solo games yesterday and 2/3 today before I just went, nahhhhhh :etc_swear: it. And for the last 4 years it's never had that feeling. I also don't see WG doing anything to fix it so hell, new games are being played and less time on WoWs. It's what they want so I'm not mad, just a bit sad. 

Spoiler

1281354569_crapteam.png7.thumb.png.5b55c0e5ae779c050b248ef70ea480d0.png

1037824943_crapteam.png3.thumb.png.17b40ad5bf61762f880f4676280fc138.png1128797823_crapteam.png4.thumb.png.33da14a995684e065d2877f929097644.png1715132095_crapteam.png5.thumb.png.75be1874414ce7aff303671372822235.png

519412896_crapteam.png8.thumb.png.8a385b866384be27d9420a01bd78357e.png1221633232_crapteam.png9.thumb.png.c49ed9e72499dd3db61e6a9a148523da.png1331799707_crapteam.png10.thumb.png.3127352bf2c7e8b705fe27ed8f0e8419.png

• Cool 2

[LEEUW]
Players
1,996 posts
9,856 battles

Had a game just like that:

Our DDs (khab, shima and z46) all go to a different cap (hooray right?). They manage to all get torp rushed, radared, stuck on islands, etc. 

All three dead two or three minutes in. 

Our team doesn't dare to push anymore so they stay far away from the caps. 

5 minutes in points are 900something - almost nothing. 

FUN FUN FUN! 

Note. All three dd players had more games played than me, so they were very... Ehm... Experienced. :Smile_hiding:

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

Players
2,673 posts

Yes.

Don't expect much from this, it is a taboo matter and linked to some very controversial (mm related) stuff. So (specific) people pop up usually and douse everyone in gasoline before lighting the thread on fire haha :)

Players
1,083 posts
17,375 battles
3 hours ago, The_Reichtangle said:

[...]by the endless fields of Potatoes.[...]

Mother Nature's answer to that were, among others, these...

Premnotrypes_vorax_-_5179011.jpg640px-Late_blight_on_potato_leaf_2.jpg

...but agricultural pest control took over.

1 hour ago, Verblonde said:

Bear in mind, also, the 'snowball effect': this discussion happens a lot in WOT too, only I get the impression that the effect is perhaps more pronounced in Tanks.

Essentially, when one side loses a ship, the other has more guns to bring to bear on the survivors, so increasing the likelihood of one of those survivors being killed off as well; this process then repeats, if nothing is done to arrest it, so resulting in a roflstomp.

Obviously, massively over-simplifying, but that's the general gist.

It's the bit about arresting it that's crucial - a good player can sometimes prevent a few casualties turning into a roflstomp; having the right ship can help too. If you want to win, knowing this illustrates why (in general) you want to remove enemy guns from the game as quickly as possible, and why focus firing is so important too...

1 hour ago, thiextar said:

Picture an airplane with tilted-down wings. If it starts to lean a tiny bit in either direction, the wing design would cause it to tilt more and more in that direction until its flying upside down.

Lanchester's laws, basically. I like the negative dihedral/anhedral simile, it fits really well. And yes, when the numbers start piling up against you competent players on the right ships can revert it to some extent, if they have enough time.

Salute.

• Cool 1

Players
9,423 posts
11,039 battles
1 hour ago, thiextar said:

the biggest cause for this is that a team vs team game with no respawns is an inherently unstable design.

If anything War Thunder shows, snowballing effect leads to pure and unmoderated spawnkilling:Smile_smile:

Players
377 posts
3,834 battles
4 hours ago, RamboCras said:

I know exactly the situation you mean, and have been on both sides of the equation recently. However, I don't have any impression that it is happening more often than, say, a year ago. :Smile_Default:

• Cool 1

Players
372 posts
5,448 battles
5 hours ago, RamboCras said:

Once in a while...

happened 5 out of 7 games last night. 

• Cool 1

Players
4,408 posts
7,593 battles

My 2p is that this really took off after the IJN DD nerf, previously the Iso/Mine acted as a bit of a skill check to stop really bad players progressing to higher tiers, once they got whacked with the nerf-bat the way was open for potatoes to fail their way to T10.

Edit,

Found this post from a while back that illustrates the point:

Players
2,310 posts
2 hours ago, GarrusBrutus said:

(...)

Note. All three dd players had more games played than me, so they were very... Ehm... Experienced. :Smile_hiding:

Probably have received personal mission: "Play 15 random battles in a destroyer"? :Smile_teethhappy:

• Funny 2
  • Boring 1