Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Purnylla

Why can many campaign missions not be done in co-op?

15 comments in this topic

[GEUS]
Players
181 posts
6,278 battles

I like co-op battles. I never liked PvP, in any kind of game, and I'm so happy with WoWS having a co-op mode. But it was dissapointing to see that many campaign missions cannot be completed in co-op mode, and I really wonder why. I'm used to games considering PvP as the 'better' game mode, or at least more popular, and any game I've seen PvP always gets rewards much better than co-op games. So I understand PvP is more challenging, and I don't mind that co-op battles get reduced XP and credits. Because of the reduced XP/credits some missions are already more time consuming to complete in co-op mode, but that's fine. I'm not a hurry.

However, what's the point in most campaign missions being completely undoable in co-op mode? It's like the game is telling me to go do PvP, but why would anyone want that? I don't like PvP, and I'm not going to enjoy it. And I'm pretty confident most PvP players wouldn't be too happy with me being assigned to their team. I don't have the experience and skill to do well in PvP games. I don't have a competetive mindset and I don't even have the desire to win a battle (unless missions require me to, but I can just do several battles and I'll win one eventually regardless of my skill).

So what's the point? It doesn't make me happy, it doesn't make others happy. Why won't the developers just let me progress through the campaigns at my own pace, in a game mode that I enjoy playing? 

• Cool 6

Players
8,724 posts
8,662 battles

Some missions would be too easy to do in Coop.

People, who play mostly PvP would just hop into Coop to do them. (which some do even right now). But if you would allow all to be done in Coop, then it might just be too easy.

If you dont know:

You dont have to do all Campaign missions, you can do one several times and collect the stars you need. Unless you want to do all, then you have to do them in Randoms.

• Cool 2

Players
628 posts
2,129 battles

I don't like playing Co-Op myself but I do sometimes play it to complete easy missions and yes the rewards are disappointing. I think perhaps if you could choose between two or three difficulty levels with much better credit and XP income the harder the level it would make more sense and give a bit more flexibility to the mode.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[SKRUB]
Players
452 posts
19,663 battles
1 minute ago, 250swb said:

you could choose between two or three difficulty levels with much better credit and XP income the harder the level it would make more sense and give a bit more flexibility to the mode. 

Oh please no don't do that.

We will end up with the same campaign mission as we already have in WOT.

Where people prefer to play dumber in order to sucess the mission, instead of playing the game.

[GEUS]
Players
181 posts
6,278 battles
1 minute ago, DFens_666 said:

Some missions would be too easy to do in Coop.

People, who play mostly PvP would just hop into Coop to do them. (which some do even right now). But if you would allow all to be done in Coop, then it might just be too easy.

If you dont know:

You dont have to do all Campaign missions, you can do one several times and collect the stars you need. Unless you want to do all, then you have to do them in Randoms.

If missions get too easy in Coop, just make them harder? I don't mind if I have to kill 20 bot-controlled ships in Co-op when a PvP player would only need to kill 10 human-controlled ships. 

And a few missions can be completed in co-op indeed, but they're getting fewer. I think I got to Mission #5 of the Science of Victory campaign when I pretty much gave up about campaigns. Had to do a few PvP battles with simple objectives like "play a battle with camouflage". I figured that one was easy enough to do without any skill. I guess some teammates weren't too happy though. Would've prefered to complete the task in co-op.

• Cool 3

Players
8,724 posts
8,662 battles
Just now, Lebedjev said:

Where people prefer to play dumber in order to sucess the mission, instead of playing the game.

I feel we already have this here aswell...

Certain missions come up, you tend to see stupid gameplay more often.

• Cool 1

[ALONE]
Modder
2,027 posts
13,240 battles

Vor 1 Stunde, Purnylla sagte:

So what's the point?

Allow me to tell a little story. :cap_yes:

The campaigns are a leftover from the early missions WG introduced into the game - when there almost no PVE-missions.

At that time missions on EU were made by a World-of-Tanks-guy, who had to do them without deeper knowledge or interest of the game. But he had the usual WoT-attitude, that PVE hurts a game and has to be avoided.

Later things got better - Wows got released on steam, they had to unify the missions across the servers. The WoWs-team got more freedom to be less like WoT and the vocal PVE-community on the NA-server was heard.

The campaigns on the other hand are no longer in development/updating, as WG said that most of the players ignored them - now directives replaced them.

Players
628 posts
2,129 battles
5 hours ago, Lebedjev said:

So you think players wouldn't like the option to play 'dumber'?

I don't think being able to set your own difficulty level in Co-Op is the same as campaign missions in WoT at all, and with better XP it may be a reasonable respite from weekend battle syndrome. That said if Co-Op didn't exist at all I'd be just as happy.

Players
6,105 posts
11 hours ago, Smeggo said:

The campaigns on the other hand are no longer in development/updating, as WG said that most of the players ignored them - now directives replaced them. 

That really so? For me, they are the best type of missions. I would have loved to have a Kuznetzov campaign aswell instead of a hard grind mission chain, that basically forces me to take a couple of weeks of from work.

12 hours ago, Purnylla said:

So what's the point? It doesn't make me happy, it doesn't make others happy. Why won't the developers just let me progress through the campaigns at my own pace, in a game mode that I enjoy playing? 

Yea, welcome to Wargamings way of doing things... you´ll get used to it. or not. Either way, they dont care. sigh. And yea, after a couple of years hanging around you will be as disenchanted as I am.

[ALONE]
Modder
2,027 posts
13,240 battles
Vor 7 Stunden, ForlornSailor sagte:

That really so? [...]

Well, I can somewhat relate to WG's statement. I'd rather play and the directives get done by the way, than have to choose the current tasks and be frustrated that I accidentally fulfilled a task haven't chosen. :Smile_facepalm:

• Cool 1

Players
1,913 posts
6,509 battles

I would be happy if there was just a single "Can be completed in Co-Op" mission per stage, but make the requirement hard to do in Co-Op like "Earn 'XXX' base XP" or "Earn 'XXX' credits" etc rather than a more simple "Sink 'XXX' ships" or "Win 'XXX' games" etc which is far easier to achieve in Co-Op than PvP.

[COR3]
Players
1,313 posts
12,738 battles
2 hours ago, Smeggo said:

Well, I can somewhat relate to WG's statement. I'd rather play and the directives get done by the way, than have to choose the current tasks and be frustrated that I accidentally fulfilled a task haven't chosen. :Smile_facepalm:

Campaigns where very much skill based while this directives are just spam matches as fast as you can... the kill x ships is the worst offender in the lot. It was so damn noticeable this week that the directive included kills, where you have tonnes and tonnes of BB Kevins sitting in the back to snipe.... got 7 kills sniped away from me in my hipper over the week. I agree with the sentiment that campaigns are a little frustrating but this directive crap is a worse influence...  

I did like the Campaigns as said much more as Directives only change Name and one or two Elements and return like every week... ugh.

• Cool 2

Players
5,976 posts
10,920 battles
On 11/7/2019 at 2:50 PM, Smeggo said:

Allow me to tell a little story. :cap_yes:

The campaigns are a leftover from the early missions WG introduced into the game - when there almost no PVE-missions.

At that time missions on EU were made by a World-of-Tanks-guy, who had to do them without deeper knowledge or interest of the game. But he had the usual WoT-attitude, that PVE hurts a game and has to be avoided.

Later things got better - Wows got released on steam, they had to unify the missions across the servers. The WoWs-team got more freedom to be less like WoT and the vocal PVE-community on the NA-server was heard.

The bolded part is kinda absurd as I used to play WoT and now stick with WoWS because it has PvE :Smile-_tongue:

I really liked these campaigns though. I hope I get to play more of the permanent ones.

[WG-EU]
[WG-EU]
WG Staff, Alpha Tester
5,430 posts
1,674 battles
On 11/7/2019 at 2:50 PM, Smeggo said:

We never said PvE is hurting a game, but our games are simply not PvE-games. The campaign tasks were all globally made (they are not different on EU compared to other servers), but it was a very different game back then.

What is true is that we shifted our focus to directives, which you do not have to enable before the battle and all tasks can be fullfilled in parallel. Like mentioned above, there are several advantages with this system.

Maybe campaigns get overhauled or reworked, we will see. If there are any plans or new campaigns, we will let you know. ;)

As for PvE: Co-op was introduced as a kind of training grounds (hence why it is so easy) and the main focus of our game for the foreseeable future is and will be PvP. It is highly unlikely that there will be separate missions made for Co-op to be easier to complete in Co-op. Some missions are simply meant to be long-lasting and/or very difficult and missions are usually designed for PvP-modes.

Players
1,913 posts
6,509 battles
57 minutes ago, Sehales said:

As for PvE: Co-op was introduced as a kind of training grounds (hence why it is so easy) and the main focus of our game for the foreseeable future is and will be PvP. It is highly unlikely that there will be separate missions made for Co-op to be easier to complete in Co-op. Some missions are simply meant to be long-lasting and/or very difficult and missions are usually designed for PvP-modes.

Completely understandable, but with around 30% of players playing Co-Op only, it'd be very short-sighted to ignore them completely. All it takes is 1 single PvP mission per Campaign phase which can also be done in Co-Op, preferably a "hard" one for Co-Op like "Get XXX Base XP", to make people happy.

Sign in to follow this