You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
FukushuNL

On DDs and detonations...

Detonation and DDs  

74 members have voted

1. 1. How would you want to see DDs and the detonation mechanic be handled by WG?

• Just leave it as it is now.
    • Bake the 100% anti-det signal into all the DDs (including losing the 8th signal slot).
    • Break out the detonation mechanic all together.
    • Some way different than the above options, described in the comments.

40 comments in this topic

[BODEM]
Players
674 posts
6,333 battles

I think it's a given that all people that sail their DDs should have some anti-detonation countermeassure, most preferably the 100% anti-det signal, mounted on their ship, right? In my opinion, this situation is the same as the detection captain skill we used to have that WG found manditory enough to bake it into the basic gameplay. With that I mean the "spotted" exclamation mark, which used to be a 1 point captain skill. 

The anti-detonation signal as such is as much a manditory part of any DD kit as the captain skill was back in the day, taking up one of the 8 signal slots where as the skill took up one of the limited amount of captain skillpoints way back when. Up to a point where DDs effectively have only 7 useable signal slots to play around with. So I want to suggest that WG with help from the community could take a more closer look at this issue and decide what would be the best option to solve this. A few options I like to share:

1. ofcourse leaving it as it is would be a viable option too. One does not have to be forced into carrying an anti-det meassure, but one already kinda is as not only will you be a liability for your team, if you detonate you can perfectly hear everyone in the match facepalm and calling you out for nout having the signal equiped. So we'd be only kidding ourselves if we would try to tell the other that setups without the 100% anti-det flag would be viable, right?

2 which brings me to just give all DDs a baked in 100% detonation proof hull, and only 7 signal slots to play around with. Things will stay as they are effectively and the flags could still be there for use in other ships where they might be a choice for people to equip them instead of a manditory thing. 

3. Get rid of detonations all together as multiple people already suggested on the forums several times before.

I however don't find detonations that much of an issue to get rid of it all together (not that I'm against getting rid of it either), but more that having a manditory spot on a speciffic class for something everyone will agree on must be put in that spot is the worst kind of gameplay and could easily be ommited, just like WG has done with the "Detected" captain skill which they baked into the basic gameplay. As such, this isn't a thread to discuss detonation as a gameplay mechanic, but DDs and the non-gameplay of having a signal slot every single on of us knows can only be occupied by the detonation signal. 

I personally opt for option 2: Bake the code for 100% anti-det flag into all current and future dds, get rid of 1 of the signal slots and put a fat cross over the anti-det sgnal just like +fire chance signals got with the RN cruisers for instance. I think one could only go for option 1 if one would want the chance to be there that one of the enemy captains would have forgotten to equip their signal and thus would have the opportunity to det said enemy DD, but that could very well happen to your own DDs and the enemies would then be able to det yourfellow DD. So in the end everyone would just want their DDs to have the 100% anti-det signal equiped 100% of the time, which makes having the choice to equip them essentially void and could very well be broken out of the game and the choice taken out of our hands, so we don't have to bother with it... 

• Cool 3

Players
6,108 posts

I agree with you, that there is a problem with detonations and DDs in particular.

First, I never understood, why DDs are exploding on a way higher level then any other class. Wouldnt it make sense, from a balancing-gaming point ov view, to have all classes detonate equally? I´d say yes. And on top of that - for some reason CVs are totaly save from that mechanic. So in practice, we already have the blue print to demand this annoying mechanic to be removed.

Pretty much any change or solution would be better then what we have right now. When playing DD, its pretty much mandatory to put on the deto flag. Which is somewhat stupid. It also favors players, that have access to those flags and throws those players under the bus, that dont, aka mostly new players.

• Cool 3

Players
8,732 posts

Id prefer one of these 2 options:

- Get rid of it all together

or

- Make Detonations equal for every class. Imo its bad game design, that DDs detonate more often, by what reason? Because they are smaller? This needs to go in favour of game balancing. All should have the equal responsibility to mount anti-deto flag.

This goes ofc for CVs too, there is no reason, that CVs shouldnt be able to detonate. They can also mount 8 signals now, so no problem to use anti-deto flag. And by WGs own logic, CVs should be allowed to detonate anyway, since they "achieved their goal" (they didnt, but they say so) to bring match influence back in line for CVs according to other classes. So they can also get detonated imo.

• Cool 3

[MIAU]
[MIAU]
Players
4,037 posts

Not again this topic ...

I'd like to keep my signal slots as they are. Detonation flags are not mandatory (unless you play in a competetive mode). I even like detonations actually, though they rarely happen to me and when they do it most of the times happens to a ship that is very low on hitpoints anyway. They are the random uncalculable part of combat.

• Cool 8
  • Boring 2

Players
6,399 posts
245 battles
36 minutes ago, Egoleter said:

Not again this topic ...

I'd like to keep my signal slots as they are. Detonation flags are not mandatory (unless you play in a competetive mode). I even like detonations actually, though they rarely happen to me and when they do it most of the times happens to a ship that is very low on hitpoints anyway. They are the random uncalculable part of combat.

I think detonations could do with their own sounds unique animations doe, even if your raging i guess you can look at a red shaded aweinspiring wreck of your own ship.

Although i wouldn't complain if we could get rid of it either way.

can't remember the last time i got detonated.

• Cool 1

Players
1,459 posts
13,714 battles

I'd like to see detonations removed. Want to kill an enemy ship? Bring it's health pool to 0 with well aimed shots or torps. I don't feel good if I detonate and I don't really feel good if I detonate someone, as it's not a victory that was based on skill, but just dumb luck instead. I understand the naval history argument, and maintain it has no place in a game like this. Neither do detonations. Just my 5 cents.

At least they're somewhat rare now, I just get triggered when RNG changes the course of a battle. Same thing with cyclones. Enjoy your RNG event that will prevent you from shooting anyone before the battle ends, losing something you probably would have won as a result. And I will never, ever understand people who defend these two mechanics? This game is not supposed to be realistic, but fun. How is having your skill made irrelevant by RNG fun? I just don't get it.

• Cool 2

[SCRUB]
Players
3,839 posts
10,498 battles

Since the mechanic is pure RNG I have always been in favor of removing it.

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
4,866 posts
11,867 battles

No change needed - it's not like it happens a lot.

FWIW I currently show 41 over 3,556 random battles played (2,513 of those with DDs) - that's an incidence rate of 1.15% overall. There are far more significant things to worry about.

• Cool 3

[MIAU]
[MIAU]
Players
4,037 posts
20 minutes ago, CptBarney said:

I think detonations could do with their own sounds unique animations doe, even if your raging i guess you can look at a red shaded aweinspiring wreck of your own ship.

A better detonation visualisation would be nice.

• Cool 9

[WGP2W]
Beta Tester
1,213 posts
6,138 battles
1 hour ago, ForlornSailor said:

I agree with you, that there is a problem with detonations and DDs in particular.

First, I never understood, why DDs are exploding on a way higher level then any other class. Wouldnt it make sense, from a balancing-gaming point ov view, to have all classes detonate equally? I´d say yes. And on top of that - for some reason CVs are totaly save from that mechanic. So in practice, we already have the blue print to demand this annoying mechanic to be removed.

Pretty much any change or solution would be better then what we have right now. When playing DD, its pretty much mandatory to put on the deto flag. Which is somewhat stupid. It also favors players, that have access to those flags and throws those players under the bus, that dont, aka mostly new players.

Perhaps I am wrong but I thought the main barbettes are the det rng in those parts of a ship.  That is why a carrier cannot detonate.

So the reason a destroyer detonates more often is because the explosion box shape often hits those parts, or even multiple. Since it are small ships. 

On topic: not carrying a detonation flag doesn’t really matter for randoms.

Players
6,108 posts
9 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

FWIW I currently show 41 over 3,556 random battles played (2,513 of those with DDs) - that's an incidence rate of 1.15% overall. There are far more significant things to worry about.

How often did you use deto signal tho? But yea, I get what you are saying and its true. Its somewhat observation bias but annoying mechanics have this tendency.

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
2,735 posts
6,990 battles

Personally i wouldnt complayn if they get removed, but i'm also ok with them as they are, i mostly go kaboom in coop or ops, so in random i'm lucky that it's soo rare. 

But as others have mentioned, it would be nice if a detonation would have it's own "special" animation, ships usually when theyr magazines went up, they tended to split the ship in halve, Yamato, Hood, HMS Barham etc, the IJN DD's and all Torp DD's if they got hit on the launcher, boom, went into two parts, Roma got the same end after the fritz-x slammed into her magazine. 

If WG can do a mag explosion similar to the one in theyr trailer of Hood going up, now one like that would be sweet. 

:Smile_honoring:

Edit: heres the trailer, somenthing like this would be epic from a theatrical point of view. 

1.40min is the magdet. 

Edited by Major_Damage225
Added stuffs.
  • Cool 3

Players
4,408 posts
7,593 battles

One option might be to link it to fires, maybe something like a 1% chance if one fire burns for its full length, rising to 2%, 5% and 10% if there's more than one fire burning at a time.

At least it would give the bb players something else to whine about.

• Funny 2

Players
278 posts
1,590 battles

In 900+ battles I’ve detonated exactly once that I can remember, and that was in the Hipper. That said I do think dds should have the same det. chance as other ships, though to me its a bit of a non-issue considering the rarity.

[-AP-]
Players
2,349 posts
5,727 battles

just remove the mechanic all together.

Its just pure rng that serves no gameplay purpose whatsoever 

• Cool 3

Beta Tester
2,735 posts
6,990 battles
5 minutes ago, Capra76 said:

One option might be to link it to fires, maybe something like a 1% chance if one fire burns for its full length, rising to 2%, 5% and 10% if there's more than one fire burning at a time.

At least it would give the bb players something else to whine about.

Think the moderators, poor souls would be swamped, you do realise the forum would be flodded with Reeee threads. 

But i like the way u think :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
2,104 posts
11,183 battles
4 hours ago, FukushuNL said:

I think it's a given that all people that sail their DDs should have some anti-detonation countermeassure, most preferably the 100% anti-det signal, mounted on their ship, right? In my opinion, this situation is the same as the detection captain skill we used to have that WG found manditory enough to bake it into the basic gameplay. With that I mean the "spotted" exclamation mark, which used to be a 1 point captain skill. 

The anti-detonation signal as such is as much a manditory part of any DD kit as the captain skill was back in the day, taking up one of the 8 signal slots where as the skill took up one of the limited amount of captain skillpoints way back when. Up to a point where DDs effectively have only 7 useable signal slots to play around with. So I want to suggest that WG with help from the community could take a more closer look at this issue and decide what would be the best option to solve this. A few options I like to share:

1. ofcourse leaving it as it is would be a viable option too. One does not have to be forced into carrying an anti-det meassure, but one already kinda is as not only will you be a liability for your team, if you detonate you can perfectly hear everyone in the match facepalm and calling you out for nout having the signal equiped. So we'd be only kidding ourselves if we would try to tell the other that setups without the 100% anti-det flag would be viable, right?

2 which brings me to just give all DDs a baked in 100% detonation proof hull, and only 7 signal slots to play around with. Things will stay as they are effectively and the flags could still be there for use in other ships where they might be a choice for people to equip them instead of a manditory thing. 

3. Get rid of detonations all together as multiple people already suggested on the forums several times before.

I however don't find detonations that much of an issue to get rid of it all together (not that I'm against getting rid of it either), but more that having a manditory spot on a speciffic class for something everyone will agree on must be put in that spot is the worst kind of gameplay and could easily be ommited, just like WG has done with the "Detected" captain skill which they baked into the basic gameplay. As such, this isn't a thread to discuss detonation as a gameplay mechanic, but DDs and the non-gameplay of having a signal slot every single on of us knows can only be occupied by the detonation signal. 

I personally opt for option 2: Bake the code for 100% anti-det flag into all current and future dds, get rid of 1 of the signal slots and put a fat cross over the anti-det sgnal just like +fire chance signals got with the RN cruisers for instance. I think one could only go for option 1 if one would want the chance to be there that one of the enemy captains would have forgotten to equip their signal and thus would have the opportunity to det said enemy DD, but that could very well happen to your own DDs and the enemies would then be able to det yourfellow DD. So in the end everyone would just want their DDs to have the 100% anti-det signal equiped 100% of the time, which makes having the choice to equip them essentially void and could very well be broken out of the game and the choice taken out of our hands, so we don't have to bother with it... 

I'd say leave as is and increase the probability of detonation when penning BB turrets, barbettes and magazines(both primary and secondary battery magazines) in order to curb the bow in HE spamming BB meta.

Beta Tester
948 posts
15,112 battles

Love it that people complain that the game has little realism, but when it does, they complain that it should not be there, so that they can cry more about the first part of this sentance.

• Cool 7
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 2

Beta Tester
2,104 posts
11,183 battles
2 minutes ago, Azalgor said:

Love it that people complain that the game has little realism, but when it does, they complain that it should not be there, so that they can cry more about the first part of this sentance.

^This:cap_like:

• Cool 2

Players
6,108 posts
2 minutes ago, Azalgor said:

We are Borg. Only one mutal opinion allowed. Resistance is futile!

• Cool 2
  • Funny 3

Players
85 posts
3,707 battles
3 hours ago, Major_Damage225 said:

Personally i wouldnt complayn if they get removed, but i'm also ok with them as they are, i mostly go kaboom in coop or ops, so in random i'm lucky that it's soo rare. 

But as others have mentioned, it would be nice if a detonation would have it's own "special" animation, ships usually when theyr magazines went up, they tended to split the ship in halve, Yamato, Hood, HMS Barham etc, the IJN DD's and all Torp DD's if they got hit on the launcher, boom, went into two parts, Roma got the same end after the fritz-x slammed into her magazine. 

If WG can do a mag explosion similar to the one in theyr trailer of Hood going up, now one like that would be sweet. 

:Smile_honoring:

Edit: heres the trailer, somenthing like this would be epic from a theatrical point of view. 

1.40min is the magdet. 

+1 to this. Spectacular detonations like the Queen Mary, Invincible, or Hood. Or even if getting rammed having a ship get sliced up like HMS Victoria.

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
701 posts
11,549 battles

I would like to have a feedback when flag actually saved me from detonation.

So I would know how usefull they are.

I do not carry the flag on low tiers T1-T7 but who cares what happens there, you still earn money.