Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Tanatoy

ST - changes to Sansonetti and test ships

17 comments in this topic

[WG-EU]
WG Staff, Administrator, Community, WG Team
4,257 posts
3,607 battles

Italian unique historical commander Luigi Sansonetti:

• The "Scorched by Fury" talent is changed. It will be triggered upon obtaining the Confederate achievement rather than High Caliber, and will increase the reload speed by 15% rather than 5%.

The trigger for the talent was changed because the High Caliber achievement was easier to get in Ranked Battles than in Random Battles (due to smaller size of teams in Ranked Battles). The Improved reload speed brings Sansonetti in balance with other unique commanders.

German cruiser Mainz, Tier VIII:

• Increased the armor thickness of main battery turrets:
    • frontal armor plate from 30 to 80 mm;
    • upper armor plate from 20 to 32 mm;
    • side armor plates from 20 to 35 mm;
  • Air resistance coefficient was decreased for armor piercing and high explosive shells from 0.3307 to 0.29;
  • Krupp value for armor piercing shells was increased from 1852 to 2300.

The armor of this cruiser's turrets will become the same as that of Nürnberg. This will noticeably improve the survivability of her main caliber turrets.

The changes to Mainz's shells will increase their flight speed (making shooting maneuvering targets easier), and will increase penetration of armor piercing shells.

Italian cruiser Gorizia, Tier VII:

• Reload time of Exhaust Smoke Generator is lowered from 240 (180) to 210 (140) s;
  • Parameters of Hydroacoustic Search are changed:
    • Action time increased from 100 to 120 s;
    • Torpedo detection range increased from 3.5 to 4 km;
    • Ship detection range increased from 5 to 6 km.

Changes to consumables will make Gorizia more interesting to play and will highlight her main difference to the researchable Italian cruisers - Hydroacoustic search, compensating the lack of torpedoes. 

British cruiser Bedford, tier VIII:

• Main battery reload time increased from 11 to 12 s.

British cruiser Drake, tier IX:

• Main battery reload time increased from 14 to 15 s.

British cruiser Goliath, tier X:

• Main battery reload time increased from 15 to 17 s.

These changes are made as part of the initial balancing phase of the ships. 

Please note that the information in the Development Blog is preliminary and subject to change.

• Cool 7

Players
6,452 posts
245 battles
51 minutes ago, Sleepy_Bunny said:

Dunno what these changes will do to the shell performance overall, but certainly seems like a good step for Mainz.

She will pen more armour and should have less floaty shells maybe.

although turrets are only as armoured as nurnberg i think.

better than nothing i guess.

[_IRN_]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
45 posts
8,907 battles

With that hydro Gorizia seems very appetible now.

Quality Poster, In AlfaTesters
1,346 posts
12,842 battles

Mainz is beginning to resemble Chapa more and more, first overtaking Chapas DPM and now might have AP penetration that is more like ~80-90% of Chapas, not 50-60%, as well as increasingly similar ballistics.

This buff should push Mainz ability to pen 152mm of armor out from 5km to over 8km, which is still painfully short but a significant improvement.

I don't understand the point of Gorizia. Why on earth would anyone want this ship? Is there supposed to be some sort of benefit to being able to hydro things at 6km? You cannot use the smoke and hydro aggressively in combination unless you intend to not fire the guns as the smoke firing concealment is 8.3km, anything that you can hydro will see when you when you fire so using the smoke would be pointless. And if you don't use the smoke are you actually going to need the hydro? And then to get within the hydro range and not have torpedos, only able to rely on SAP and AP? You can use the hydro defensively, sure, but why would I want defensive hydro over torpedos?

And then, compared to Zara, Gorizia has a 2 second! longer reload time, 600m less range, 1 knot slower, she even has worse AA. But at least she has 2 extra secondary guns!

Despite the smoke cooldown being an actual buff compared to Zara, I do not see the point in this terrible looking ship.

[CATS]
Players
24,929 posts
13,719 battles
42 minutes ago, Astolfo_Is_My_Waifu said:

Mainz is beginning to resemble Chapa more and more, first overtaking Chapas DPM and now might have AP penetration that is more like ~80-90% of Chapas, not 50-60%, as well as increasingly similar ballistics.

Only at close range.

The air drag improvement is massive, that Mainz will outperform all other CL after 10km, probably sooner.

image.png.185fe14e61446d66267d8a9ff5a24ef5.png

• Cool 1

1,346 posts
12,842 battles
1 hour ago, ColonelPete said:

Only at close range.

The air drag improvement is massive, that Mainz will outperform all other CL after 10km, probably sooner.

image.png.185fe14e61446d66267d8a9ff5a24ef5.png

What is the formula for this last column?

[CATS]
Players
24,929 posts
13,719 battles

(Krupp*Mass*Muzzlevelocity²)[of each ship]/(Krupp*Mass*Muzzelvelocity²) [of Cleveland]

analogue to the kinetic energy formula.

Unfortunately I do not know the whole penetration formula and do not know how Air Drag comes into play.

[AAO]
Players
1,494 posts
20,088 battles
On 11/7/2019 at 8:42 PM, ColonelPete said:

(Krupp*Mass*Muzzlevelocity²)[of each ship]/(Krupp*Mass*Muzzelvelocity²) [of Cleveland]

analogue to the kinetic energy formula.

Unfortunately I do not know the whole penetration formula and do not know how Air Drag comes into play.

WG seems to use the USN-penetration formula rather than rely on the kinetic energy: P [mm] = C * V [m/s]1.1 * M [kg]0.55 / (D [mm])0.65

Taken from fnord_disc's highly recommended threat (contains a link to his program as well) and his source material:

Players
145 posts
On 11/7/2019 at 12:00 PM, Tanatoy said:

British cruiser Drake, tier IX:

•  

Are you aware guys that name was given to HM Naval Barracks/Base Devonport in the same time frame (from 1934) ?

Will you consider changing the name?

Benbow even Blake would do it if you looking for admirals. Or simply Churchill (not after Winston but after one of his ancestor John Churchill, the famous 18th century general)

Or Antrim or Shannon (famous frigates from the prevous centuries)...

Just an idea...

[T-N-T]
Players
3,508 posts
15,826 battles

Well nice, Mainz does keep getting buffs.

Gorizia getting buffs is probably for the best, although what kind of synergy is there supposed to be for a ship losing torps in gaining hydro? I guess it's supposed to go actively hunting DDs now? Well DDs are basically the best taget for SAP, alright. Still not convinced Zara/Gorizia is really the best hull for such a task, though. They're like the only actually slow italian cruisers in the line.

That is really quite questionnable.

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
4,279 posts
4,996 battles
2 hours ago, Toivia said:

Well nice, Mainz does keep getting buffs.

Gorizia getting buffs is probably for the best, although what kind of synergy is there supposed to be for a ship losing torps in gaining hydro? I guess it's supposed to go actively hunting DDs now? Well DDs are basically the best taget for SAP, alright. Still not convinced Zara/Gorizia is really the best hull for such a task, though. They're like the only actually slow italian cruisers in the line.

That is really quite questionnable.

Losing torps she never had in the first place..

[-TPF-]
Players
3,572 posts
14,749 battles
12 hours ago, LonesomePolecat said:

Are you aware guys that name was given to HM Naval Barracks/Base Devonport in the same time frame (from 1934) ?

Will you consider changing the name?

I have mentioned this.... I need to learn how to say it in Russian.  Defence would be a good name for it.

• Cool 1

[T-N-T]
Players
3,508 posts
15,826 battles
17 hours ago, lafeel said:

Losing torps she never had in the first place..

Losing torps compared to Zara, cause you know, clearly Gorizia is a different take on the Zara that is already playable in game. That's why I am basing the comparison on Zara.

(Regardless of the reality that Zara afaik never had torps either... but oh well, WG and line consistency trumps historic reality.)

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
4,279 posts
4,996 battles
5 hours ago, Toivia said:

Losing torps compared to Zara, cause you know, clearly Gorizia is a different take on the Zara that is already playable in game. That's why I am basing the comparison on Zara.

(Regardless of the reality that Zara afaik never had torps either... but oh well, WG and line consistency trumps historic reality.)

Point conceded. (and no, no Zara class CA ever had torps as built)

• Cool 1

1,346 posts
12,842 battles

image.thumb.png.d3d578415073c1a6004705c197f9ea62.png

Click to zoom. Graph courtesy of https://wowsft.com/

Bottom blue line is old Mainz penetration, top blue line is new Mainz penetration, yellow line is Chapas penetration. (ignore the flight times, as you can see on the right axis the scale is wrong).

• Cool 2

Sign in to follow this