You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
ForlornSailor

"Back to port" button - why does it exist?

100 comments in this topic

Players
6,490 posts
10,755 battles

So, Ive been thinking about the "back to port" button. It is active and useable all the time. It should not be.

Only when your ship was sunk, should you be able to use "back to port".

Here is why. Ive seen, on several occasions, people leaving the battle.

- They leave the battle on spawn, cuz they are not happy with the matchmaking. I had to read things like "im lowtier, bye" - "im the only DD, I wont play" - " eff it, another CV game, eff you"

- They leave the battle in the middle of the game, because they are unhappy with their teammates - usualy the ones that died - or think, the game is lost.

- If seen 6 people on stream clicking in, it didnt work out, so they ALL went back to port to try again.

Its harmful for the game. remove it. Now, someone might say "but what if I have an emergancy and have to leave?" No problem. There is ALT F4, Quit the game completly. But there is NO reason, while your ship is still alive, to go back to port and  be able to select the next ship. Its also awesome, that our shipjesus on one occasion did this and spread the idea.

And here we see a person, that leaves battles all the time (only one of several examples, I could show a Henri, that left the game, a Yamato, that left the game - and from his stats, it was obvious, he does it all the time - or a DD, that refused to play a game with CV and left on 00:01)

These people do not care about the gaming experiance of the other 23 people. They are activly harming the game, the community and destroying the fun. And the game is giving them the tool to make it easy. Make them atleast quit the entire game, so they have to load and login again, when doing their shite! Reporting them one by one is a) a lot of work b) I dont really know what will happen to them and c) not solving the core problem of this. @MrConway @Crysantos

unknownd.png.d7bd38c6096147f41aec4c2d34a370f2.png

shot-19_11.05_22_56.40-0020.thumb.jpg.f3ff07d76bafa171e836344e6747c169.jpg

• Cool 22
  • Boring 1

[SHAFT]
Players
9,890 posts
9,003 battles

Yep, nothing more to say. It should get removed or if WG wants to keep it for "emergency reasons": Block Ranked/Random battles for 1h. If its being repeated often, increase the time even more.

• Cool 10

Players
1,737 posts
18,657 battles

Sounds a good idea I had a Midway player today who quit the game after 1 minute because he didn't like that everyone was tier 10 

• Cool 3
  • Funny 2
  • Angry 1

Beta Tester
598 posts

I'm not sure I agree.

If people find parts of the game unfun, they'll leave, button or no button.

Fix the issues in game that causes the biggest frustration, then players will stay.

• Cool 9
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[NWP]
Players
1,345 posts
10,472 battles
1 minute ago, Skurfa said:

This is true.

However, a button legitimizes the action in a way.

• Cool 5

Players
6,490 posts
10,755 battles

Fix the issues in game that causes the biggest frustration, then players will stay.

So how do you fix the T10 player, that leaves the game, because there are no T8s, while we have T8 players, that leave the game, because there are T10s? See? unfixable.

And your objection is not a reason for the button to be available ;)

• Cool 5
  • Boring 1

Beta Tester
598 posts
3 minutes ago, Saltface said:

This is true.

However, a button legitimizes the action in a way.

2 minutes ago, ForlornSailor said:

And your objection is not a reason for the button to be available ;)

At least they fill up the queue for the next battle I suppose.

[SHAFT]
Players
9,890 posts
9,003 battles
4 minutes ago, Skurfa said:

As we can see in this very thread, it doesnt work:

- 1 guy quits the game, because he is lowtier.

- another guy quits the game, because he plays TX and its a TX only game.

Both of those are not working out together (one wants to be toptier vs T8-9 and the other doesnt want to be lowtier against anything)

5 minutes ago, Skurfa said:

If they need to restart every time, they might consider it atleast, thats why i added in my first post: Restriction to start Random/ranked for 1h

[KVK]
Players
488 posts
14,624 battles

The game knows, if someone is leaving the match (early) and is doing "business" in the port view;

would it be okay for the game community if the ships from an return-to-port-early-player would be taken over by an bot/KI?

Add ":" infront and the end of the players name and let the KI take over!?

With the ":" you still can report the player, but everybody (should) know that from there on an KI is playing and maybe pushing hard an cap and loose.

(The game knows, because the user is interacting with the port interface, there are handshakes between client and server.

If the player has Alt+F4 the game has to consider an router reset oder PC restart, maybe after 5min inactivity the AFK-ship can taken over by an bot.

Only if the player is really AFK - running the game in battle but doesn't touch the controls - this would be the only unsolveable case...)

• Cool 2

[NWP]
Players
1,345 posts
10,472 battles
Just now, Skurfa said:

At least they fill up the queue for the next battle I suppose.

and the previous battle that they dumped along with other 11 teammates?

We all have left intentionally or unintentionally a battle. Be it network problems, power, PC melt down or an emergency. That's fine. It happens.

But just dumping the game is not something we would wish to reinforce as a behavior.

Just MHO.

• Cool 5

Beta Tester
598 posts
1 minute ago, Saltface said:

We all have left intentionally or unintentionally a battle. Be it network problems, power, PC melt down or an emergency. That's fine. It happens.

But just dumping the game is not something we would wish to reinforce as a behavior.

Just MHO.

We could also go all the way.... People HAVE to watch the entire 15 minutes, no matter if they die or not....

That would encourage them to stay alive and contribute :cap_cool:

• Cool 4
  • Bad 4

Players
2,905 posts

I dont agree. The option to quit a game should stay. There are other things need fixin way more significant than this imo :)

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[SHAFT]
Players
9,890 posts
9,003 battles
4 minutes ago, Skurfa said:

We could also go all the way.... People HAVE to watch the entire 15 minutes, no matter if they die or not....

That would encourage them to stay alive and contribute :cap_cool:

They might also learn something :cap_yes:
Yeah i know, thats wishful thinking... :Smile_sad:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[NWP]
Players
1,345 posts
10,472 battles

That would encourage them to stay alive and contribute 

I find it hardcore but correct. Some will be irritated because they died in a legit way. And they want to play not spectate. 

But the proposal has merit.

3 minutes ago, lossi_2018 said:

There are other things need fixin way more significant than this imo

That button is one of them. And easy to fix.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
1,148 posts
3,074 battles

Maybe because WG thinks this is the lesser of two evils, they can see with 100% accuracy who is leaving, and punish.  But they prefer AFKers to people setting a waypoint into the middle of the enemy team... 

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
725 posts
12,207 battles

Actually I like the idea, I would even go further with AI bots.

If player did not do anything in 15 sec then ship is taken by AI and they are forced to leave battle (so they will not spam in chat).

There should be additional battle fee added for "renting an Artificial Inteligence from WG company for duration of battle" and it should be significant.

Yes people would suicide to not pay this fee, but first they would have to learn that such mechanism exist :D

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[SCRUB]
Supertester, Players, Sailing Hamster
3,405 posts
4,189 battles

I often wonder why the game doesnt have an AI takeover for people who willingly leave (ie not freeze, ctd or dc). Quitting the match is a unique action and cannot be "taken back", as such having automatic AI takeover wouldn't be detrimental. 

The condition I would set is to not benefit the player who left in any way, so they get zero xp, zero creds (or ecen a repair bill) and their consumables, flags, camos go to waste. Their team may still benefit from their presence to some extent (if nothing else, bot spotting), but they don't.

The question I would ask is what level of AI should take over, and I'm thinking it should be smarter the lower the relative ship tier is, so for example in a T8 match the T8 ship gets the dummy coop battle AI (or something barely smarter), the T7 gets an intermediate level AI, while the T6 gets the operations level smart AI. 

@Crysantos does that sound like a reasonable idea? 

• Cool 5

Players
5,977 posts
11,546 battles
9 hours ago, Saltface said:

Just MHO.

If WG disables the back to port button, people will just do this instead

Weegeepleasebaffdd-shot-19_08.17_20_33.5

and besides, leaving the battle prematurely will limit them to coop in no time so hardly a problem for random battles.

A friend of mine even managed to collect something like 40 games needed to play in coop before he was allowed back into random battles again. So removing the back to port button may sound like a great idea but it won't stop them.

And if they really want to not play, they can always just shut down the game from the task manager or pull the UTP cable.

So removing this button will probably not work as OP intended.

• Cool 4

[KAKE]
Players
2,585 posts
6,218 battles

I didn't even know you could go back to port while alive.

I don't have a problem with this suggestion.

• Cool 2

Players
825 posts
9,393 battles

I reported a player who did this, he refused to play because he was low tier and just sailed around not engaging and not spotting (he was on a dd). We lost. I wasted Naval Battle attempt although I finished second on my team.

WG's response? Nothing. A week waiting and nothing.

They do not care.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[NWP]
Players
1,345 posts
10,472 battles
15 minutes ago, NothingButTheRain said:

So removing this button will probably not work as OP intended

I will agree with your remark. Button or no button, the ones that want to leave will leave.

The point I made is that the existence of the button legitimizes morally the action.

Under this “viewport” it should be removed. 

• Cool 4

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
278 posts
6,564 battles

The button can stay and people should be allowed to leave if they want. One or two players less in a random battle means nothing, most of the time the bottom 5 players haven't done anything remotely useful anyway.

However I would punish divisions leaving battles and players who leave battles in ranked. 

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 1

Players
70 posts
475 battles

I am not sure if this issue can be fixed by adding a bot/s in place of player/s who leaves during battles.

Players
5,977 posts
11,546 battles
21 minutes ago, Saltface said:

I will agree with your remark. Button or no button, the ones that want to leave will leave.

The point I made is that the existence of the button legitimizes morally the action.

Under this “viewport” it should be removed. 

And my point is that regardless of whether or not what you mention here is true, the effect this button has on people causing to leave the game is negligable, so no good reason to remove this button anyway.