Sign in to follow this  
Filipin00

Computer is acting up VERY weird (to say the least)...

4 comments in this topic

Question

[UAC]
Players
451 posts
1,577 battles

Hello all,

I've been having VERY weird computer issues.

See, when I turn my pc on it either:

a) turns on for about less than 1 sec, shuts down, attempts to reboot again, fails and then gets stuck in infinite loop.

b) turns on for even shorter amount of time than in a), but doesn't reboot anymore, just stays off and any further attempt at turning it on is futile.

But that's not the weird part....

Weird part is....that it can actually boot and work. It can boot and I can work anything including game WoWS on max graphic settings on regular client...for hours, no problems.

What I do is unplug everything in the computer, and then plug back in. Like, stripping my PC off of any component besides essential ones sufficient enough for it to POST.

Then I gradually add rest of the components, attempt to turn it on, and then (often) it successfully boots. Last night after shutting it down before bed, I even waited around 5 mins and tried turning it back on...it did boot successfully. I went to bed. Next morning tried turning it on....problem returned.

I tried (almost) everything, so it'll be easier for me to say what I didn't try. I didn't try meddling with neither PSU nor MOBO because I don't know how to properly pull them out and put them back in without breaking something...I am officialy bamboozled as to what the problem could be. It's not overheating, I'm not sure about any short circuits because I unplugged and plugged everything at least million times for the last couple of days and I'm getting desperate. There is a chance I'll be able to use my PC every next day if unplugging and plugging back works, almost like a slot machine, but obviously something's wrong and I'd like to fix it. Unfortunately I'm not currently able to find any money for buying new components or testing my PC with spare ones as I don't have them so I really hope no component is faulty, and seeing how computer actually works my hopes are high.

Thanks in advance for any help.:Smile_sad:

3 answers to this question

833 posts
7,189 battles
12 hours ago, Filipin00 said:

Thank you for help, I apologise if this forum part is not meant for general tech issues.

I did think the problem is most likely with PSU, since all other components weren't faulty.

However I've been tinkering with it the whole night and managed to actually find a spare PSU (I thought I threw it away...) and there were no problems with it whatsoever. So it was faulty PSU all along.

Thank you very much for your help. :Smile_honoring: I think this PSU will be able to power it just long enough for me to get an actual new PSU.

Hello!

It's just this is primarily a game forum, not really a tech forum but I'll help wherever I can.

Good to know it's your PSU, still I find it odd that your PC wouldn't crash hours on end once booted, generally a faulty PSU will crash once you put a heavy load on it. I'd actually be curious to take it apart and inspect it but hey ho, if diagnosis is correct then you've got a very easy fix indeed.

Kind regards,

Minia

• Cool 1

833 posts
7,189 battles

Hello,

Now just to be clear this forum isn't really intended for troubleshooting tech issues not related to WoWS and I do not work in tech support but I'll happily throw some suggestions and what I would do as a tech savvy.

To be clear, your system does POST yes? I.E You get to the windows boot screen yes? Also please post your system specifications and operating system.

I'm assuming windows and your critical drivers are all up to date. First thing I'd want to know is whether this is a software or program issue or whether you have a faulty part. Easiest way to do that is if you have a spare harddrive lying around, format it, install a clean version of windows and only windows on said drive, uninstall and unplug everything that is unnecessary from your computer such as extra harddrives, USB sticks, sound card etc. Once you got a fresh windows copy see if the issue persists, if it does well I'd then start looking at motherboard and PSU issues. If it doesn't then you've got a software/program issue. Note you will not be able to test the power-supply, the easiest and most reliable way to diagnose a faulty powersupply is to have another PSU that you know is working and swapping them out. Now that is what I would do because I've got plenty of drives lying around and have no problem tearing down a PC but if you're not feeling too confident you can try the step I've listed below to repair windows files.

Windows has a built-in file scanner, you can run it by following the steps below assuming you are on windows 10:

1. In the search bar type "cmd", find Command prompt and run it as an administrator
  2. Type the following command into the prompt, "sfc /scannow"
  3. Leave the prompt open and wait for the process to finish, it will go through your windows and microsoft system files and check them for damage, corruption etc and will replace said files
  4. Once it's done it will leave a message letting you know whether anything has been changed, if it hasn't, chances become more likely this is a component fault however it does not rule it out! To completely rule out a software/program error, you'll need a clean drive with only windows on it.

Another thing you can do that could guide us to your particlar problem is check system logs in the Event Viewer, you can find the steps of how to get to them below:

1. In the search bar type "Event Viewer" and open it up.
  2. Click on "Windows Logs" in the left panel and then "System"
  3. You should see a list of events, these will be sorted by levels and dates/time. You want to go to the time the boot fails and find the corresponding "Critical" or "Error" logs that match your crash time as accurately as possible. Checking multiple crash logs at different times is also a good idea to see if this is the same repeating error.
  4. Once you find something that looks coherent, click on it and it should give you a "general" and "details" tab to view the error's details. Please copy and paste both of them here.

Please remember to protect your privacy too :)

I hope this helps, feel free to tag me if you have any questions and I'll do my best to offer a hand.

Kind regards,

Minia

• Cool 1

[UAC]
Players
451 posts
1,577 battles
7 hours ago, CptMinia said:

Hello,

Now just to be clear this forum isn't really intended for troubleshooting tech issues not related to WoWS and I do not work in tech support but I'll happily throw some suggestions and what I would do as a tech savvy.

To be clear, your system does POST yes? I.E You get to the windows boot screen yes? Also please post your system specifications and operating system.

I'm assuming windows and your critical drivers are all up to date. First thing I'd want to know is whether this is a software or program issue or whether you have a faulty part. Easiest way to do that is if you have a spare harddrive lying around, format it, install a clean version of windows and only windows on said drive, uninstall and unplug everything that is unnecessary from your computer such as extra harddrives, USB sticks, sound card etc. Once you got a fresh windows copy see if the issue persists, if it does well I'd then start looking at motherboard and PSU issues. If it doesn't then you've got a software/program issue. Note you will not be able to test the power-supply, the easiest and most reliable way to diagnose a faulty powersupply is to have another PSU that you know is working and swapping them out. Now that is what I would do because I've got plenty of drives lying around and have no problem tearing down a PC but if you're not feeling too confident you can try the step I've listed below to repair windows files.

Windows has a built-in file scanner, you can run it by following the steps below assuming you are on windows 10:

1. In the search bar type "cmd", find Command prompt and run it as an administrator
  2. Type the following command into the prompt, "sfc /scannow"
  3. Leave the prompt open and wait for the process to finish, it will go through your windows and microsoft system files and check them for damage, corruption etc and will replace said files
  4. Once it's done it will leave a message letting you know whether anything has been changed, if it hasn't, chances become more likely this is a component fault however it does not rule it out! To completely rule out a software/program error, you'll need a clean drive with only windows on it.

Another thing you can do that could guide us to your particlar problem is check system logs in the Event Viewer, you can find the steps of how to get to them below:

1. In the search bar type "Event Viewer" and open it up.
  2. Click on "Windows Logs" in the left panel and then "System"
  3. You should see a list of events, these will be sorted by levels and dates/time. You want to go to the time the boot fails and find the corresponding "Critical" or "Error" logs that match your crash time as accurately as possible. Checking multiple crash logs at different times is also a good idea to see if this is the same repeating error.
  4. Once you find something that looks coherent, click on it and it should give you a "general" and "details" tab to view the error's details. Please copy and paste both of them here.

Please remember to protect your privacy too :)

I hope this helps, feel free to tag me if you have any questions and I'll do my best to offer a hand.

Kind regards,

Minia

Thank you for help, I apologise if this forum part is not meant for general tech issues.

I did think the problem is most likely with PSU, since all other components weren't faulty.

However I've been tinkering with it the whole night and managed to actually find a spare PSU (I thought I threw it away...) and there were no problems with it whatsoever. So it was faulty PSU all along.

Thank you very much for your help. :Smile_honoring: I think this PSU will be able to power it just long enough for me to get an actual new PSU.

Sign in to follow this