Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Tugnut

New players to the game!

31 comments in this topic

[LO1]
Alpha Tester
1,481 posts
6,079 battles

Are there new players coming in to the game! and the one i came accross was even spending money on the game.

was playing a tier 8 game in my t8 boat - tier 7 prem DD player on our side, whole of the game the player seemed to be doing every thing wrong playing quite bad, they made it quite close to the end but they kept going yolo against ships that they was never going to kill face to face.

shot-19_11.05_12_24.41-0079.thumb.jpg.13b96ad23aa57376a6caa938930708ad.jpg

Next game was no better... in me t8 boat and pull a t10 game 4 t8 2 t9 and the rest t10.

Every t10 player on our side was below 45% WR, game was a massacre :(

• Cool 4

Players
3,130 posts
10,768 battles

Get used to it. 

It is what it is and wont get better.  In fact, it will get worse. 

Apologies for being super negative and hardly constructive but yeah...It's here to stay.  Tier 10 is shocking.

• Cool 11

[CAIN]
Players
4,487 posts
18,933 battles

You'll have to see the positive side of things.

In this case its...WG gains more money which they can use to create tutorials for new players...just kidding.

They might use the money to create new content like new Maps and balance the various classes...just kidding. 

For reals this time: WG is gonna use the money to pay for servers, devs, shareholders, game development, i.e. new premium ships everyone can spend their money on, which they gonna use to...ugh...

• Cool 5
  • Funny 2

Beta Tester
2,795 posts
7,088 battles
15 minutes ago, Redcap375 said:

Apologies for being super negative

1a0hkd.jpg.42d177aae8d6b01e8a492b1e2f899fec.jpg

8 minutes ago, Jethro_Grey said:

You'll have to see the positive side of things

:Smile_great:

1fa55eaec8976d97486cb10a6711159c.jpg.4ea849efdf3b9e71396155f7436d436d.jpg

Though despite this sounding negative. 

For new players buying a T7+ premium, wg could at least give them a pop up with a explanation that if they jump with it straight into the game theyr unlikely to win, and to first go though a silver line up to T5, so they get at least some minimum experiance, because the newby MM (80 battles or the first T5 battle IIRC) can be bypassed this way withought the new player knowing it. 

And im sure if a new player would know this, most (not all) would be happy to first go the silver route, and not jump into the meatgrinder. 

My 2 cents. 

:Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[HOO]
Players
1,900 posts
3,736 battles
21 minutes ago, Jethro_Grey said:

For reals this time: WG is gonna use the money to pay for servers, devs, shareholders, game development, i.e. new premium ships everyone can spend their money on, which they gonna use to...ugh...

New premium and freemium ships which will be released at the same time as a new season of a competitive mode (ranked or CB) at their tier starts, so that everyone thinks they need to buy the new OP ship in order to win the season.

Rinse ...

... and repeat, but the next OP ship at the same tier will be slightly more OP than the last so players think they have to keep buying in order to stay competitive..

Meanwhile silver lines continue to fall behind, leaving mere mortals who don't have deep pockets, to wonder why they bother grinding high tier silver boats, as the high tier meta is dictated by whatever WG has put up for sale.

And when WG do move competitive modes to lower tier (T8 and below), the season is dominated by premium boats, leaving players wondering if the game really is turning into a P2W model for competitive modes.

But we have nothing to worry about as spreadsheet says all is fine. I do think WG have 2 spreadsheets when they talk about 'the spreadsheet' and at all times one is fine. Either the game balance spreadsheet, or the accounts department financial spreadsheet, but at no point can both spreadsheets be ok as that would be a paradox, leading to the end of the universe.

Sorry to be negative but that really is how things feel right now.

• Cool 4

Players
3,130 posts
10,768 battles
4 minutes ago, Fat_Maniac said:

New premium and freemium ships which will be released at the same time as a new season of a competitive mode (ranked or CB) at their tier starts, so that everyone thinks they need to buy the new OP ship in order to win the season.

Rinse ...

... and repeat, but the next OP ship at the same tier will be slightly more OP than the last so players think they have to keep buying in order to stay competitive..

Meanwhile silver lines continue to fall behind, leaving mere mortals who don't have deep pockets, to wonder why they bother grinding high tier silver boats, as the high tier meta is dictated by whatever WG has put up for sale.

And when WG do move competitive modes to lower tier (T8 and below), the season is dominated by premium boats, leaving players wondering if the game really is turning into a P2W model for competitive modes.

But we have nothing to worry about as spreadsheet says all is fine. I do think WG have 2 spreadsheets when they talk about 'the spreadsheet' and at all times one is fine. Either the balance spreadsheet, or the accounts department financial spreadsheet, but at no point can both spreadsheets be ok as that would be a paradox, leading to the end of the universe.

image.jpeg.767b3442578b89ae8e4e32426ab6d29e.jpeg

He's got it.

Funny how this forum has had the life sucked out of it.

• Cool 4

Players
86 posts
4,405 battles

Totally understand how newer players find themselves in the Premium Impulse Buy trap.

They don’t understand the 1,000 ways to die in WoWs, or that the abilities of ships and players beyond Tier 6 are far different to those before them. Weapon ranges far longer, more and longer range torps, faster ships, more experienced, skilful, cautious or sneaky players. More unique or characteristic abilities on many ships. More experienced and skilled/built ship captains massively adding utility to the vessels they’re on.

But they don’t know this, to them it’s like an arcade game and here’s a shiny new premium ship they can buy which must be more powerful, ‘cos it’s higher tier, right? And of course they get pasted repeatedly. And probably get put off the game both due to repeated failure, an aching feeling of cash thrown away, and probably a few jocks telling them they’re useless noobs on chat. It isn’t going to feel good.

So, maybe an advisory is in order in the Premium store recommending that starters at least play some games to get to that tier before buying any premium ships at that level. But given that WG wants to get cash into its business, it’s unlikely it’ll want to lose potential sales.

• Cool 1

Players
1,672 posts
14,740 battles

Just lock their high tier premiums to coop until they've reached that tier with a silver line of the same class. There, you can't complan you bought a ship and can't play it. But you're also not allowed to ruin other people's experience by being on their team without a first clue on what to do.

• Cool 2

[HOO]
Players
1,900 posts
3,736 battles
5 minutes ago, Captain_Newman said:

Just lock their high tier premiums to coop until they've reached that tier with a silver line of the same class. There, you can't complan you bought a ship and can't play it. But you're also not allowed to ruin other people's experience by being on their team without a first clue on what to do.

But WG want everyone to play high tier and take part in the competitive modes as that is where they make their money

So they rush game progression through the tiers, and give those impatient players the opportunity to spend hard cash on shiny high tier boats.

Back when I started I posted this ...

.. and because not many players follow what I have tried to do, we get constant threads and comments about the state of game play.

• Cool 3

Players
628 posts
2,129 battles
2 hours ago, Tugnut said:

Are there new players coming in to the game! and the one i came accross was even spending money on the game.

was playing a tier 8 game in my t8 boat - tier 7 prem DD player on our side, whole of the game the player seemed to be doing every thing wrong playing quite bad, they made it quite close to the end but they kept going yolo against ships that they was never going to kill face to face.

shot-19_11.05_12_24.41-0079.thumb.jpg.13b96ad23aa57376a6caa938930708ad.jpg

Next game was no better... in me t8 boat and pull a t10 game 4 t8 2 t9 and the rest t10.

I don't agree that 19 battles, a tier VIII ship, and a 21.5% WR should necessarily mark them down as the blight on the game being portrayed. They are putting some money in when experienced players stop spending because they have all the ships they can get or need, and statistically 19 battles is irrelevant as a measure of whether they will become a better player or not. More importantly players like this give experienced players something to shoot at and sink and so feel better about themselves as superior beings. I predict they'll be a player from WoT hence skipping tiers one and two, they will know a premium ship/tank gives more credits and experience and is a better crew trainer, and after flailing around a bit they'll settle down and learn to play ships instead of tanks. And in any case if there is anybody who we should feel sorry for it has to be them and not you, they are starting a brand new game and with only 19 battles they have fingers being pointed at them behind their backs.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
598 posts

Who cares?

You get them on your team 50 percent of the times, and another 50 percent they're on the other team....

It's not like they're gonna mess up your precious WR.

• Cool 2

Players
6,426 posts
10,722 battles
4 hours ago, Fat_Maniac said:

to wonder why they bother grinding high tier silver boats

I have actually reached that point. It just doesnt make sense anymore.

2 hours ago, 250swb said:

and statistically 19 battles is irrelevant as a measure of whether they will become a better player or not.

You cant learn the game, when you start at Tier 7 and deal an avg of <5000 dmg per game. There is no ground to learn anything.

• Cool 1

[HOO]
Players
1,900 posts
3,736 battles
17 minutes ago, ForlornSailor said:

I have actually reached that point. It just doesnt make sense anymore.

I only have 2 T10's Hindy and Henry.

Hindy just feels outclassed, Henry is great, but clan mates are starting to feel she is being power crept by the new competitive T10 meta.

The problem gets worse, as that competitive meta falls into Randoms, and then the whole high tier experience feels a bit broken. And that is such a shame as T10 always used to seem to be the best balanced experience.

I'm sat looking at my T8 boats now and thinking whats the actual point of grinding further, when I get there the boat is probably gonna be left behind compared to the freemiums and premiums.

Players
628 posts
2,129 battles
24 minutes ago, ForlornSailor said:

You cant learn the game, when you start at Tier 7 and deal an avg of <5000 dmg per game. There is no ground to learn anything.

Actually you can learn something about almost anything by going in at the deep end, except perhaps cliff diving. The basis is that you don't know what you don't know until you discover what you don't know, and the only way to do that is 'have a go'.

[SV]
Players
846 posts
12,113 battles
9 hours ago, Fat_Maniac said:

Rinse ...

But we have nothing to worry about as spreadsheet says all is fine. I do think WG have 2 spreadsheets when they talk about 'the spreadsheet' and at all times one is fine. Either the game balance spreadsheet, or the accounts department financial spreadsheet, but at no point can both spreadsheets be ok as that would be a paradox, leading to the end of the universe.

dont agree say 1 tier 10 bb who cant be competetive all  are good in the hands of a good player! 

Players
263 posts
5,723 battles

Just lost a fabulous 11 in a row with Minotaur and Des Moines, avg dmg 125k which is ok, 12 caps mainly in Mino, 22 kills in those battles, so I'm doing decent but still losing, potatoing completely in 1 battle on Ocean. :cap_hmm:

The point though was, using Matchmaking Monitor, my team was over 60% win rate in 2 battles, 55% in another 3 and 50% in yet another 3, we were the higher winning rate team in 8 of the 11 battles and lost all of them. :cap_horn:

Interestingly, the team with higher avg dmg won 8 of the 11, so, although one can use statistics to say almost anything, win rate is clearly not the be all and end all. :cap_rambo:

It is noticeable how often "Premium" ships are ones who can be "problematic!"  A Yueyang whinging because his torps went through a Shima and an Alaska who refused to radar because, and I quote, "that's not my job!" :cap_wander:

I do think you should be restricted in purchasing a Premium until you've reached that level in the grind but I can see why they don't do that.

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Players
1,337 posts
10,368 battles
6 hours ago, Skurfa said:

You get them on your team 50 percent of the times, and another 50 percent they're on the other team....

This is correct.

But....

6 hours ago, Skurfa said:

It's not like they're gonna mess up your precious WR.

This is not correct.

It is not about the WR. As you will see in the spoiler below, no matter what, most of the times a good division will carry.

It is about the game experience. When do you have more fun? Not with roflstomps. Win or lose, roflstomps do not make a good game. I can turn the tables around and say that WR hunters and stat padders want bad players so they can farm and get all those achievments etc. Players who want to have good games want a better player base. Or, let me put it this way...a better game experience. I don't want anyone to get rolled over because they rushed the tiers and sink all the time before the 3 minute mark. They will feel bad at the end (the majority at least) and quit the game. This is not healthy for the game.

And this is what a good division will do:

Spoiler

Kill them all and win the game.

NWP.thumb.png.7c2830d1679ca0288277e3a7f2720294.png

• Cool 2

Players
403 posts
3,834 battles

I'm staying out of T9 and T10 altogether - no tech tree ships and no premiums. In fact, my only T8 ship is the Cleveland and I've only got that because of the US cruiser line split. I can perfectly understand the top player's frustrations as alluded to by the OP. I do my best, but I'm not terribly good, so I'll stick with the mid-tiers.

• Cool 1

[THESO]
[THESO]
3,887 posts
10,506 battles

I know it may not solve much, may be none..

but just make it, "You can buy a premium/special ship, only after having XX battles on that ship's class and tier!"

• Cool 1

Players
10,017 posts
11,809 battles
10 minutes ago, Excavatus said:

I know it may not solve much, may be none..

but just make it, "You can buy a premium/special ship, only after having XX battles on that ship's class and tier!"

Chances of WG actively reducing their income are... slim to say the least.

[ONE2]
Players
3,084 posts
21,486 battles
16 hours ago, Tugnut said:

One of those days eh? Oh well, that can't be helped sometimes lad.:cap_old:

I started my games yesterday with an infuriatingly solid 10-game one-sided blap-massacre-parade losing streak before it got a little better. Made new record BTW, I was the last one left alive after mere 1 kill and 5min 23secs played - WOHOU!:cap_wander_2: Don't ask, I have no idea what happened there, but it suffice to say we quite deservedly did not win that one.:Smile-angry:

But yeah, I guess that's what Free-to-play Massive Multiplayer and all that so-forth crapola really means. You may end up getting teamed with Pro.Unicorns or just a bunch of kindergartners borrowing daddy's "boatsy game" OR  any da*mn combination thereof, in-between or besides. You never can tell. So we just have take our shot, try the best we can, agonize over it, have a Valium and a beer and hope for the best, then try again. I mean it's not like WG could magically just program away the stupidity of mankind, eventhough we might occasionally wanna hope so.:cap_hmm::Smile_amazed::Smile_Default:

• Cool 1

Players
10,017 posts
11,809 battles
9 minutes ago, RAHJAILARI said:

But yeah, I guess that's what Free-to-play Massive Multiplayer ans all that so-forth crapola really means.

Dunno, my experience in GTA Online shows 60€ pricetag is no deterrent for idiots to play:Smile_smile:

[ONE2]
Players
3,084 posts
21,486 battles
36 minutes ago, Panocek said:

Dunno, my experience in GTA Online shows 60€ pricetag is no deterrent for idiots to play:Smile_smile:

True dat. :cap_old: Sadly it seems that somehow having free access to daddy's wallet (or even one's own) does not automatically grant intelligence.:Smile_sad:

Or else we'd all be ruled by 'stable geniuses' by now. :Smile-_tongue::cap_haloween:

Beta Tester
725 posts
12,130 battles

Well I do not really care about OP remark as it is a game.

He just started, he has chance to learn. The way to learn the game he has chosen is maybe not the best, but still question is if that person is willing to learn. Then after another hundred battles they will be fine addition to the game. Alternatively they will resign after after couple more battles.

Actually OP you have seen his stats, have tried to talk to him kindly, trying to explain that it is not the best way of doing things, or you just assumed that he is an idiot and does not deserve any help?

Players
10,017 posts
11,809 battles
Just now, RAHJAILARI said:

Or else we'd all be ruled by stable geniuses by now. :Smile-_tongue::cap_haloween:

I might be wrong, but "genius" refer to someone extraordinaire. And when (almost) everyone are "extraordinaire" then word "genius" kinda loses on its meaning:Smile_smile: Unless you mean "extraordinarily speschul"

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this