Head_has_Exploded

The Lenin

31 comments in this topic

Players
57 posts

Is it any good?

The ship layout does interest me as I also want to grind out the Nelson, but if I buy any T8 BB I shall only be buying the the one, would like more but just unable to afford.  What are the good and bad points of this ship compared to other T8 BB's?

Basically is it worth it?

Players
1,708 posts

Currently Jan 2020

Its a total bag of poo.

Look at this " Normal " dispersion.

image.thumb.png.4380a4fced2d2f325ab144d52a75fd08.png

image.thumb.png.befeeff659d705a95138e689f74e2501.png

Some Armour would be very nice as well.

image.thumb.png.b9e7e569190fa44876e52001187c2856.png

• Funny 1
  • Bad 2

Players
1,708 posts

If you want a T8 prem, that is useful buy this:-

image.thumb.png.f25a87702e1b8c10f5ebe9203c33a317.png 

The Range is a bit shorter but you get the idea + The secondaries are make you a lot more " Wonga " and a lot Quicker. 

image.thumb.png.65e511eed8aacf5ea10386b6adf14347.png

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
4,850 posts
5,332 battles
30 minutes ago, Barracuda_111 said:

Look at this " Normal " dispersion.

In case you somehow weren't aware, her dispersion gets a lot better at 12km, so get yourself in closer.

• Cool 1

Players
1,708 posts
9 minutes ago, lafeel said:

In case you somehow weren't aware, her dispersion gets a lot better at 12km, so get yourself in closer.

Yes I was aware of it, Thank you.

The ship is sh1t

Starting with the slow and funky turret turning.

:Smile_honoring:

• Bad 2

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
4,850 posts
5,332 battles
2 minutes ago, Barracuda_111 said:

Yes I was aware of it, Thank you.

The ship is sh1t

Starting with the slow and funky turret turning.

:Smile_honoring:

I'm sorry but you sir are straight up mistaken there.

Players
1,708 posts
4 minutes ago, lafeel said:

I'm sorry but you sir are straight up mistaken there.

People who want to spend money on ships, should know all the " Options "

The only reason I keep it, is I dont get it in a box at some point later.

Enjoy

[N0RSE]
Players
179 posts
14,547 battles

Lenin is a very good ship at tier 8, but if you only are going to buy one ship at this tier, I would go for Gascogne.

• Cool 1

[DEFR]
[DEFR]
Players
1,266 posts
5 hours ago, Nit0 said:

but if you only are going to buy one ship at this tier, I would go for Gascogne

That would also be my recommendation to get

[DEFR]
[DEFR]
Players
1,266 posts
On 11/4/2019 at 4:56 PM, Head_has_Exploded said:

Is it any good?

The ship layout does interest me as I also want to grind out the Nelson, but if I buy any T8 BB I shall only be buying the the one, would like more but just unable to afford.  What are the good and bad points of this ship compared to other T8 BB's?

Basically is it worth it?

Good points:

Nice looking ship

Fast turret rotation

Not too bad a rudder shift

Facing front on - the ship is strong

Bad Points:

Slow to get moving from a stand still

Same as Nelson, sadly the side armour is very weak and you'll take loads of damage if getting caught out showing it taking hits

Dispersion on guns is terrible, I kid you not. I was shooting a BB only 7k away from me yesterday and it was sitting still facing front on to me, and two full volley shots missed to register a single hit.

Short range main guns of only 18k and you can't install the spotter plane to increase range either. You can only use attack planes for defence. So generally you'll always have to move closer in and with it comes the risk of exposing the weak side armour

• Cool 1

[POI--]
Players
483 posts
7,696 battles

tl;dr - It`s OP as hell, unlike all the other napkin soviet designs.

Long explaination:

The primary design feature of this ships, is that it can bow-tank with exceptional ease. The concept is acutually pretty good - if you play well it`s probably the most survivable T8 BB, but if you screw up you can get devastriked eaisly.
It has got fairly good accuracy, typical russian bs turret traverse - making this ship essentially impossible to rush/yolo.

In terms of mobility i don`t find it any worse than other T8`s, and considering it`s generally played as a stationary gun battery it doesn`t even matter that much. What matters the most is your positioning and ability to predict the enemy team`s layout in the field.

It might be marginally worse than Massechusets in terms of overall win ratio, but the better the player the lower the difference, with top 10% of Lenin players overtaking the top 10% of Massechusets players.

• Cool 2

[DEFR]
[DEFR]
Players
1,266 posts
On 11/4/2019 at 4:56 PM, Head_has_Exploded said:

The ship layout does interest me as I also want to grind out the Nelson, but if I buy any T8 BB I shall only be buying the the one, would like more but just unable to afford.

If you can only afford to get the 1 tier 8 premium. My advise would be to get the Gascogne.

Next after that would be Matty, Roma or Tirpz for brawling fun before getting Lenin

But Gascogne is about the best of the pick from the T8 Premium BB's for sale. Mostly because it's such a flexible BB to play, both at T8 and in T10 matches. Near on 24k shooting range stock, which is ideal for keeping you out trouble in T10 matches when you're vastly outmatched by stronger BBs and just can pick them off at range. 10k secondary guns on it  - if you go that build to rival even Tirpz and Matty. Decent solid HE and AP ammo on it with good firing arcs and close grouped bullets on 2 x 4 gun turrets. Plus the ship is not that squishy either. You won't regret getting the Gascogne, not like you might end up doing with some of the others like Lenin

[MERCS]
Players
76 posts
7,378 battles

Makes no sense to me tbh, people recommending the Gascan all of a sudden, did they buff it recently?

• Cool 1

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
4,850 posts
5,332 battles
40 minutes ago, Cyanide_NL said:

Makes no sense to me tbh, people recommending the Gascan all of a sudden, did they buff it recently?

No they did not, she's the same as she has always been, love her or hate her (me I'm the former)

Players
81 posts
6,068 battles

If i were you i would wait Odin. But we need to talk about what we have on hand; if you like long range snipe than Gascan or Alabama. If you like brawl and tank than Lenin and Massa.

I only manage to play 9 games for now but i like my Lenin. Guns sucks from range but ~14km they are monster. Forward turret setup not for everybody its kinda boring actually.

• Cool 1

[POI--]
Players
483 posts
7,696 battles

Gascogne?
No thanks.

-shitty fr 4x380mm turrets

-only two of them, have fun when one gets destroyed

-their layout is also worse than that of Richelieu

-32mm plating everywhere, it`s called Gascan for a reason

It might be (sort of) fast, and have a good heal, but i`d rather not need the speed or fast heal in the first place.

[DEFR]
[DEFR]
Players
1,266 posts
8 hours ago, Infiriel said:

their layout is also worse than that of Richelieu

Richelieu doesn't have as good a secondary gun layout as Gascogne, some of her secondary guns only fire to the rear like Jean Bart, also don't think they can reach 10k as well on Richelieu from when playing it ages ago. Gascogne has same main gun and secondary layout as the T10 Repub BB. In that all secondary can fire sideways, so  for me it's a better French BB than Richelieu.

Gascogne is baby clone of Repub, while Richelieu is a baby clone of Jean Bart

Players
8,192 posts
9,087 battles

I take the Monarch over the Gascogne any day of the week. Better repair and main battery dpm > secondary dpm. Also, playing with 38 cm guns at 24 km range is a recipe for failure. 18 km range is enough.

[DEFR]
[DEFR]
Players
1,266 posts
25 minutes ago, Bunny_Lover_Kallen said:

Also, playing with 38 cm guns at 24 km range is a recipe for failure.

Seems a strange thing to say when the ship comes stock with 23.8k range. Not like you're installing the range mod and trying to use the guns past their stock range. Goes without saying that you'd use HE shells at that kind of range anyhow and the Gascogne isn't that bad at starting fires. Doesn't really matter what calibre the guns are when it comes to shooting HE at range.

As for Monarch , I'll take it you're joking trying to compare the secondary guns of that ship to the Gascogne?

Players
8,192 posts
9,087 battles
2 minutes ago, Lord_of_the_manor said:

Seems a strange thing to say when the ship comes stock with 23.8k range. Not like you're installing the range mod and trying to use the guns past their stock range. Goes without saying that you'd use HE shells at that kind of range anyhow and the Gascogne isn't that bad at starting fires. Doesn't really matter what calibre the guns are when it comes to shooting HE at range.

So, when you approximate, it's ok, when I do, we get pedantic?

Anyway, spamming HE at range in a French battleship is questionable.

[DEFR]
[DEFR]
Players
1,266 posts

I'm not getting pedantic.

You are also now comparing stock silver ships to premiums, when they had nothing to do with this. The original topic question was: what's the best premium ship he should buy. Hence why I said, I thought Gascogne was a better buy than Lenin for a T8 premium BB, as I have both ships.

if you ask me he'd regret buying Lenin, it's crap, one of the worst T8 BB's sold. And he said he can only afford to buy one.

Players
8,192 posts
9,087 battles
15 minutes ago, Lord_of_the_manor said:

I'm not getting pedantic.

You are also now comparing stock silver ships to premiums, when they had nothing to do with this. The original topic question was: what's the best premium ship he should buy. Hence why I said, I thought Gascogne was a better buy than Lenin for a T8 premium BB, as I have both ships.

if you ask me he'd regret buying Lenin, it's crap, one of the worst T8 BB's sold. And he said he can only afford to buy one.

I'm comparing fully fitted out silver ships to premiums. Premiums are after all still also competing with ships you can get for free.

As to Lenin, it's one of the best performing T8 premiums. Calling it one of the worst when it performs very well on average raises the question whether it really is a problem with the ship or some other factor.

[DEFR]
[DEFR]
Players
1,266 posts

Yeah, yeah.... Lenin is okay I guess if you park up at the side of an Island to protect the ships sides and always stay front-on against everything you face.

Yes, then it's tanky and strong. But is that how he wants to play each game? If yes, then get Lenin. But if he starts sailing around showing the sides of the ship and taking shots on them. He'll soon hate the ship.

[POI--]
Players
483 posts
7,696 battles
godzinę temu, Lord_of_the_manor napisał:

He'll soon hate the ship.

If he gets a Gascan instead he`ll be confined to the role of a backline sniper with abyssmal dpm (aka useless), because as the name suggests it burns about as good as an actual gas can.

In other words - in Gascan you have to evade and avoid the hit to not burn down in 2 minutes. In Lenin you just scream "people`s power shall prevail" and carry on, because you`re immune to all DD, CL, and CA HE up to T10 (with few exceptions), and assuming your angling is correct the AP can`t scratch you either (460+mm`s can, but they will not hit the citadel, as lower bow is reinforced).

The only solid opposition to a Lenin in terms of an impact is Massechusets, because of its fast recharge heals, and secondaries. However Massechusets needs to push in to use its advantages, as it becomes weak as soon as secondaries are not involved with leading issue being its sigma value (accuracy coefficient), placing last among all T8 BB`s with 1.7. 

Lenin on the other hand loses only a bit of its power with range, as it relies solely on its guns for results, becoming even more unkillable with range.

Of course 1v1 Lenin will lose to likes of Tirpitz, or Massechusets (its debateable though as Masse can`t pen Lenin`s deck), but we were looking for practical implications, rather than ranked sprint bs.

To summarize it:

If you fail in Lenin, you should probably reconsider playing battleships overall, since you probably don`t understand how the armor works, or how to position properly. And since you pointed out secondaries on FR BB as an advantage (no it`s not), i feel safe to assume you`re not pulling your weight either.

Players
8,192 posts
9,087 battles
23 hours ago, Infiriel said:

Of course 1v1 Lenin will lose to likes of Tirpitz, or Massechusets (its debateable though as Masse can`t pen Lenin`s deck), but we were looking for practical implications, rather than ranked sprint bs.

1v1, Lenin falls flat like Vladi, because apart from ships that zone it out, cap and hunt it down like secondary brawlers, even ships like Monarch can beat them in a bow-on stand-off.

But this is basically like crying that Shokaku is a terrible CV, because many other CVs are better at killing other CVs...