You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Mohammad_S__AbuSafieh

OBS studio help

9 comments in this topic

Players
166 posts
6,183 battles

Nice evening 

so apparently i wanted to start uploading to YouTube and as heard before most users here use OBS studio 

but the thing  i cant get it to produce good quality video with small filesize 

can anyone please share some (Output) section settings so i can test myself 

my device specs

i7-4720HQ / gtx 950m / 8gbRam 

[CN_]
Moderator, WoWs Wiki Team
2,050 posts
6,528 battles

For recording I'd recommend to use mp4 format with NVENC encoding, if your GPU supports it (don't know if a 950m supports NVENC, but I think it should). I use a bitrate of 25000 kbps for Full HD video recordings. 30k or 40k might be even better but for me 25k is enough (I don't publish those videos, I mostly use it to save replays of special games for myself, but the quality is fine).

But I don't know if your system is powerful enough for recording with good quality, you'll probably have to reduce your ingame graphic settings for recording and I think that you won't be able to get more than 30fps for recording. If NVENC works with your GPU, the performance impact will be a lot smaller but there still is a performance impact.

• Cool 1

Players
166 posts
6,183 battles
15 hours ago, floribe2000 said:

I use a bitrate of 25000 kbps for Full HD video recordings. 30k or 40k might be even better but for me 25k is enough (I don't publish those videos, I mostly use it to save replays of special games for myself, but the quality is fine).

i need the recordings to upload to youtube , what bitrate or settings you would recommend here ::

Capture.thumb.PNG.3490d6ed2acf6df329ad1a20bbd9ab61.PNG

[YEBOI]
Community Contributor, Beta Tester
121 posts
15,152 battles

Why don't u try Geforce Experience recording? (aka shadowplay), you can lower the bitrate to 10-20k and have urself a pretty decent recording.

[BOBS2]
Players
31 posts
3,653 battles

Did you resolve this?
The GTX950M supports NVENC, so setting Encoder to NVENC would move the encoding from the CPU to GPU. There's a lot of talk that NVENC is lower quality than x264, which is true if your CPU is able to cope. The 'slow' usage preset is theoretically better quality, but not if it overloads your system and causes frame drops (it loads the CPU heavily using x264, if you swap to NVENC the options change).
The bitrate of 2500 is very low and likely the cause of poor quality. For streaming, 3500 is normal and 6000 high but this needs to be squeezed for real-time upload; for local recording a high bitrate is better - I suggest starting at 6000 and ensuring your disk drive can cope (SSD easily, a 5400 RPM notebook drive might struggle). If you really need small file size, then 3500 but quality suffers below that.

MP4 is more common and preferred for YT uploads so that would be my choice for recorded format to avoid quality loss when converting the MKV to MP4. Note it's worth stopping and restarting the recordings regularly, as a crash may corrupt the MP4 file losing all the content.

If you intend editing the videos, a constant bit rate is easier to handle than VBR.

Players
166 posts
6,183 battles
1 hour ago, AdventTrooper said:

The bitrate of 2500 is very low and likely the cause of poor quality. For streaming, 3500 is normal and 6000 high but this needs to be squeezed for real-time upload; for local recording a high bitrate is better - I suggest starting at 6000 and ensuring your disk drive can cope (SSD easily, a 5400 RPM notebook drive might struggle). If you really need small file size, then 3500 but quality suffers below that. 

950m sadly can't into hevc , though thanks very much for nitrate settings I will test out those settings soon

[BOBS2]
Players
31 posts
3,653 battles

That surprises me, as it's based on the GM107 core that supports H.264 encoding formats as below :

https://developer.nvidia.com/video-encode-decode-gpu-support-matrix

It's also listed on Nvidia's site as supporting ShadowPlay capture :

https://www.geforce.com/hardware/notebook-gpus/geforce-gtx-950m/features

Players
166 posts
6,183 battles
1 hour ago, AdventTrooper said:

That surprises me, as it's based on the GM107 core that supports H.264 encoding formats as below :

https://developer.nvidia.com/video-encode-decode-gpu-support-matrix

It's also listed on Nvidia's site as supporting ShadowPlay capture :

https://www.geforce.com/hardware/notebook-gpus/geforce-gtx-950m/features

Actually it supports h.264 but sadly doesn't support h.265

Also I have question, when recording after sometime (15minute) I get some frame drops inside game , so anything can I change to avoid this ?

[BOBS2]
Players
31 posts
3,653 battles

It might be worth trying 264 for a couple of reasons:

1) H.265 support is still patchy for both playback and editing as the patent situation is more complex than H.264

2) YT prefer 264 but will accept 265, mostly because they use H.264 in the workflow to transmit VP9 (their competitor to 265)

So 265 will give smaller file sizes locally, but you could be losing quality inside the YT workflow.
Here's YT's preferred upload options. The bitrate is worth noting as 2500 Kbps (2.5 Mbps) is for 480p 30fps recording; I assume you're working in a higher resolution!

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171

Unfortunately there's no magic solution, and good quality video is synonymous with huge file sizes.

Regarding the stuttering, could be several things from temperatures saturating and causing down-clocking, memory garbage collection. Try a resource monitor and hardware monitor (e.g. HWINFO), set to log and see if any resources are gradually running out or temperatures climbing.