_Hegemon_

Yorck - German VII tier ultimate floating disaster

23 comments in this topic

[WOLF1]
Players
20 posts
2,137 battles

Hello all

I'm opening this another thread about this ship , because last one was closed by WG moderator(I can't understand why ppl closing thread, when new player like me want to share a opinion about her, and I want to double it - I mean thread).

I'm testing now a Yorck - German VII Cruiser based on WG model from 1923 year. in Coop - Battles 

I don't know what idea brought WG developers to put this construction in tier VII against opposite Cruisers 10 years or even younger ships (1941 etc) but some sort of that decision was made.  This Light Cruiser has no option to stay at this tier in terms of his current conditions. I read earlier thread about her, and some factors of this ship were changed. Anyway - from my point of view - I doubt that is any onther ship in WoWs which is so substantial frustrating in use. 

What kind of factors make this ship absolutely garbage from my point of view.

1) Guns - 210 mm L45 Drl C/06 are from pre-Drednougth era effectiveness. They have on paper a huge fire start factor, but in reality they do a little damage and flying time despite info about 900m is quite optic delusional. The trajectory of shells seems to me very familiar with 88mm gun in WoT VK tanks. Very parabolical. 

2)Turret traverse - is abysmal. Nurnberg and Konigsber (tier VI and tier V) they have a tons lots , lots of faster turning traverse. When I trying to turn whole ship from starboard side to larbord  side  as fast I can - even with additional skills of my Captain - those turrets can't keep up with my ship turning radius, and I feel like a drove a BB not a Cruiser. I have to reduce turning traverse of my ship with additionality exposing him on more efficient enemy fire or exposing him to hit the nearby isle. Only Axis (as always) - Japan Myoko Cruiser has worse parameterat this count (I feel so sorry for that to the Japanese INJ Fleet fans) 

3) Ship played on MM with IX or VIII tier ships has no influence on battle due those upper factors.

4)Fiji RNV Cruiser or French Algerie eats that thing on breakfast - even if Fiji have a 150 mm guns  (Fiji) only (Rof is highly important) . I didn't mentioned about New Orlean or Atlanta VII tier Cruiser because they outclassing Yorck to a billion light years in any terms and they sit on the same tier.

5)Rudder respond and Turn radius - even with additional Control Steering Module - is traumatic. 

6)I can't count an amount of situation when my Engine Propeller  shaft along with Control Steering Module was put out on action due to enemy single hit.... (why in this ship that module is so fragile ?? )

7)HP on this ship is lower that in VI tier Graff Spee (Deutschland Class Pocket Battleship Cruiser)

My suggestion is to lowering as much as possible turret traverse for this ship, make some minor buff tweaks for AP shells  - if this is not possible - move this ship to the tier VI as a premium instead of regular Deutschland Class ->  Graf Spee, Lutzow, Scheer (with some major buff tweaks for these 3 ships  and moving them to tier VII).

Thank you for any CONSTRUCTIVE CRITIC WORDS to this post.

I will be delighted to read Your constructive opinions based on arguments for or against counterarguments.

[OMPG]
Beta Tester
242 posts
5,225 battles

Find broadsides -> use AP. Forget it has HE -> bad HE problem solved. Profit.

Yorck is fine as a tier 7 cruiser. Not the strongest but not underpowered either.

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
20,527 posts
12,586 battles
  1. The guns are better than on Hipper, even better than on Hindenburg...
  2. It is a CA and not a CL
  3. Personal problem
  4. VERY personal problem, I have no issues when encountering these ships
  5. Once again, it is a CA
  6. Do get hit less
  7. Which is no surprise as most cruiser that Tier have less :fish_palm:
  • Cool 3

[SCRUB]
Supertester, Players, Sailing Hamster
3,344 posts
3,728 battles

You are crying about Yorck now?

Do realise that Yorck used to be a dumpster fire of such proportions that people quit the line because of her. She's acceptable now.

• Cool 3

[POI--]
Players
6,085 posts
7,325 battles

Who cares about the Fiji reloading faster when you can load AP and citpen it through the bow?

[CATS]
Players
20,527 posts
12,586 battles

Btw. @5

Algerie, Duca, Zara, Nuevo, Belfast, Fiji, Helena, Atlanta and probably some other ships have a slower rudder shift!

Algerie, Duca, Myoko, Nuevo, Belfast, New Orleans, Helena and probably some others ships have a bigger turning radius!

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
149 posts
8,720 battles

The jump from tier 6 CL to Tier 7 CA ist hard for some players.

You have to stop thinking about the CL play style.

You have to adopt CA play style.

• Cool 1

Players
122 posts
6 hours ago, piritskenyer said:

She's acceptable now.

No she is not. She is a GOOD ship now. It can quite easily finish Narai, and score decent results in battles. So its a good ship.

7 hours ago, _Hegemon_ said:

I doubt that is any onther ship in WoWs which is so substantial frustrating in use.

Uhu... so do you ever played Italian cruisers, if not then please don't spout nonsense here. Now go play Italians and then come back, then we will talk, and exchange our opinions once more.

As a proud Yorck user im very content, in good hands (im mediocre at best), this ship can be a very dangerous tool (for killing enemies), at least compared to Hipper which is a bit lacking on its tier, but not much its still playable, and enjoyable.

• Cool 4

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
4,894 posts
10,280 battles
8 hours ago, _Hegemon_ said:

I don't know what idea brought WG developers to put this construction in tier VII against opposite Cruisers 10 years or even younger ships (1941 etc)

Do you mean :
New Orleans, built 1929 thus designed in the late 20's
Algérie, built 1931 thus designed in the late 20's

Zara, built 1929 thus designed in the late 20's

Myoko, built in 1924 thus designed at around the same time as the Yorck

Those ones?

• Cool 2

[N0RSE]
Players
70 posts
11,985 battles

All your arguments here are based on coop battles. This game is balanced on pvp basis. 

[N0RSE]
Players
70 posts
11,985 battles

If coop is how you enjoy the game, that is perfectly fine. But the playstyle you incorporate into that game mode vastly differs from what someone will do in random battles. And the game is mainly balanced towards the later.

Turret traverse:

1) You can't compare Yorck to Nurnberg, one have 203mm and the other 155mm guns.

2) In random battles you often kite long distance in this ship, same with Myoko. Turret traverse with this style of play is not that important, since you rarely need to turn the turrets180 degrees.

3) You compare Yorck to a Fiji, two very different cruisers who plays different roles. Yes, a Fiji can destroy you if he surprise you close range and you show broadside. But in a gunduel 12km+ there is no chance a Fiji should take you out. 

4) Yes New Orleans is closer to a Yorck than a Fiji. But yet again, it's very situational who wins. You have excellent torps and better long range capabilities. New Orleans have the fantastic US ap shells that can easily destroy you if you are not careful.

5) Yes, some people won't influence the battle much in a Yorck when uptiered. But this is more about the player than the ship. With it's 16.5 km range I would argue it has a easier time than many other tier 7 cruisers with lower range. Heck, some people can't influence the battle even in a Yamato when most other ships in the battle is tier 8. That doesn't mean Yamato is a bad ship 😁

• Cool 2

[AAO]
Players
1,184 posts
18,731 battles
On 11/3/2019 at 2:44 PM, ColonelPete said:

The guns are better than on Hipper, even better than on Hindenburg...

Spoiler

472.png

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
20,527 posts
12,586 battles
38 minutes ago, rnat said:
  Hide contents

472.png

• Yorck AP has more pen than Hindenburg after 7.6km
  • Hindeburg AP has a longer flight time than Yorck shells after 10k

Yes, the differences are small.

[AAO]
Players
1,184 posts
18,731 battles
11 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:
  • Yorck AP has more pen than Hindenburg after 7.6km
  • Hindeburg AP has a longer flight time than Yorck shells after 10k

Yes, the differences are small.

Yorck has worse reload, worse traverse, worse AP-dmg and worse arcs. So i'd still give it to the Hindens on a gun by gun basis.

Your point is well taken tho, i never noticed they were that close.

[CATS]
Players
20,527 posts
12,586 battles
3 minutes ago, rnat said:

Yorck has worse reload, worse traverse, worse AP-dmg and worse arcs. So i'd still give it to the Hindens on a gun by gun basis.

That happened with 0.7.9.

[AAO]
Players
1,184 posts
18,731 battles
4 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

That happened with 0.7.9.

So my excuse is that it's only been 13 months where i could have noticed ?
Brilliant! I'll take it. :cap_like:

• Cool 1

[POI--]
Players
6,085 posts
7,325 battles
3 hours ago, rnat said:

On a gun by gun basis, Yorck also has better HE pen and dpm (despite the reload!). Yorck is notable in the German line for actually having some actually decent HE alpha to its shells.

[AAO]
Players
1,184 posts
18,731 battles
5 hours ago, Sleepy_Bunny said:

On a gun by gun basis, Yorck also has better HE pen and dpm (despite the reload!)

It's better by ~1.5% and the extra 2mm HE-pen don't get you through any armor the 203s couldn't already pen so i did consider that basically a tie between them.

But y'all have convinced me. WG buff my Hinden already! It needs to be gloriously OP. ^^

[POI--]
Players
6,085 posts
7,325 battles
3 hours ago, rnat said:

It's better by ~1.5% and the extra 2mm HE-pen don't get you through any armor the 203s couldn't already pen so i did consider that basically a tie between them.

But y'all have convinced me. WG buff my Hinden already! It needs to be gloriously OP. ^^

51 mm Hood deck. And the fact is, it is better, which is lulzy, given one is a T7 CA, the other a T10.

[WOLF1]
Players
20 posts
2,137 battles

I would like to thank You all for the constructive critics posts and some kind of little portion similar point of view on my first commentary post. Most of You have a tons of more exp in PvP battles than me. Some of my comparison on other ships was not valid (regards to introduction ships date) and other things.  I would like to many thanks for those correct infos.  

Now I'm on testing drive next German Cruiser in tech line - Admiral Hipper class...And difference between those two Cruisers are huge for me. Admiral Hipper is far, far more tanky than Yorck (I playing with those cruisers as a support role for a Battleships - hunting for DD and Crusisers - just same as in Yorck. VII tier Yorck it's much more squishy and soft.  I didn't see a huge difference between a ignition possibilities between both them. Hipper has amazing fast turret turn time, far far more better than Yorck ( I feel more comfortable in it). Besides of that - he has more flat projectile trajectory. Amount of damage by Admiral Hipper given to the enemy ships by HE is far far stronger in solid salvo than in Yorck (my personal feelings - Yours could be different and I respect that )  From my side - I feel a real difference between a guns in Yorck and Hipper. 

In Hipper I can brawl, just like in V , VI previous tiers German Cruisers. I can take much more risk than in Yorck. Jump from the last one to the Hipper was like to jump from Trabi to the BMW series 5. 

Regardless of my different point of view - thank You for yours reactions and comments.

Nooby greenhorn :)

_Hegemon_ 

• Cool 1

[MORIA]
Players
155 posts
24,103 battles

IMO, All German cruisers are good. Agreed that Yorck struggles in tier 9 games but even then you can farm good damage. Yorck has always been good and after the buffs it has become even better. Neither Fiji nor Algerie is better than  a Yorck. My guess is you just need to exercise more with this ship as I understand you have only practiced it in coop. We can talk again after u have 50 games with Yorck in randoms.

• Cool 1