Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Camperdown

YOLT

17 comments in this topic

[LUZ1]
Players
661 posts
11,574 battles

A year ago I stopped playing WoWs. The grind was boring me and it just wasn't fun any more. Two months ago I returned and I maximised the fun, not the grind. So, I started focusing on the joy of playing, not progressing through the ranks or farming damage.

Having played WoWs for a while again and reading this forum (which I discovered a month ago) I wish to share a few observations with you. 

• WoWs is a commercial game which a couple of Russians farm for cash. We can be sore about that, but, hey:
    • WoWs is a fantastic game with a great variety of ships and gameplay where every sailor can find something to his liking if he does not get too greedy about loot and rewards
    • Yeah, the Ruskies farm cash, but hey, developing a good came costs money and they need to earn a living. Better they are off the streets this way rather than they are hacking into democratic elections our side of the fence :cap_haloween:
  • The quality of gameplay often sucks, which is a major bummer. We like to whine about that. But if you don't care too much about in-game rewards, you can do your own satisfactory play lots of times.
  • Lot's of campers and noobs often means you cannot play your favourite style some of the times. If you do, you are often let down by your team of find yourself facing half the enemy team solo. That sucks.

BUT! 

If you play your own game to have fun, I find WoWs a great game. Yeah, some battles are very frustrating and many noobs suck bigtime. But what if we forget about our PR and winrate and just play for fun (full disclosure I am at 1100 and 50% :cap_fainting:). We may die a bit more and maybe farm a bit less damage but we would have much more fun. In fact, the whole game would improve as an experience as well.

So, I vote not YOLO, but YOLT: You Only Live Twice. Dying a few times in this game is not going to kill us! And if we take ourselves a bit less seriously we may also get less worked up about OP Smolsk and balanced ships and noobs doing stupid stuff.

Have a great game, captains!

Edited for incorrect PR

• Cool 5

[S-O-M]
Players
657 posts

The “oh your stats are crap” culture definitely distracts from the fun aspect, WG wisely gave us the choice to turn in game chat off, we should have the option to keep our stats private or as now public, but hey this is WG, the company that denies any bias and never takes the easy option; -/+1 mm, roll back Cvs or don’t deliberately let planes get thru the AA & limit plane numbers, finally incorporate a decent training process which makes sure no one gets to T10 unless they’ve played a minimum of 1000 games.

• Cool 1

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
13,912 posts
19,734 battles

If there were less people playing purely "for fun" the game would be a lot better.

You're just adding to the problem.

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

Players
7,051 posts
245 battles

I play for fun by being good, as i don't see the point in ruining the game for others and also don't detract any satisfaction from being bad (also with my mind it makes no sense).

Winning and doing well is why i even bother playing along with checking stats, otherwise i wouldn't bother and with UA:D coming along any 'funsies' i have that i want to do i just play that instead.

Like a game i had with a balansgrad in my jeanbart and while our team took their bloody time we managed to hold of over 5+ ships and the rest of their team camped uselessly or fled to teh borders.

We even lost our DD's and they still had two left but they were so bad they contributed nothing in the end (mogador and shima) and ended up dying.

So yeah my fun is too be good and also to win. Otherwise if i can't do one of those i would bin this game in a heartbeat.

[LUZ1]
Players
661 posts
11,574 battles
11 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

If there were less people playing purely "for fun" the game would be a lot better.

And how would you know that? I play to win but do not get worked up too much about it. 

You sound a bit too judgemental about people you know nothing about except some stats and a cheerful attitude.

Lighten up captain :Smile_playing:

[ALONE]
Modder
2,173 posts
13,726 battles
  1. Set profile to private
  2. disable chat in battle and port
  3. Use the mod that removes karma and karma-notifications
  4. enjoy your singleplayer-like-experience :Smile_trollface:

Players
5,977 posts
11,530 battles
29 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

I think you're missing the feel of what he is on about.

It's not about yolo but about not letting bad games get the better of you.

Not to get mad for your team for throwing so you miss out on XP (which hampers your grind), but about seeing the absurd parts where you were 500 points in the lead and your team decided to get greedy, basically laughing at their ineptitude. Instead of seeing the glass of beer as half empty, seeing it as half full. Because no matter what you did, you will not change a shitty situation but you can change how you look at it.

And this will make the game more enjoyable for you.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong @Camperdown

• Cool 1

[LUZ1]
Players
661 posts
11,574 battles
4 minutes ago, NothingButTheRain said:

I think you're missing the feel of what he is on about.

It's not about yolo but about not letting bad games get the better of you.

Not to get mad for your team for throwing so you miss out on XP (which hampers your grind), but about seeing the absurd parts where you were 500 points in the lead and your team decided to get greedy, basically laughing at their ineptitude. Instead of seeing the glass of beer as half empty, seeing it as half full. Because no matter what you did, you will not change a shitty situation but you can change how you look at it.

And this will make the game more enjoyable for you.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong @Camperdown

Thanks, exactly what I was trying to say :Smile_great:

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
5,226 posts
24,098 battles
6 minutes ago, Camperdown said:

Thanks, exactly what I was trying to say :Smile_great:

Whatever  you re trying to say, it does not matter. Russians don t read English and don t visit English forums, so they will never hear about your idea.

• Cool 1

Players
1,156 posts
18,686 battles

So, nobody's going to make the cinematographic reference? I suppose it's up to me:

About what the OP wished to say, I find harder as time passes to take the positive approach towards how some teams behave. I'll still shut up my mouth and try to do what I think it has to be done, but the discouragement is great.

Salute.

Beta Tester
4,846 posts
20,242 battles
11 minutes ago, Estaca_de_Bares said:

So, nobody's going to make the cinematographic reference? I suppose it's up to me:

To come up with a Nancy Sinatra song means You probably are as old or rather even older than me... frightening how many really old people seem to play this game... ^^

Players
628 posts
2,129 battles
2 minutes ago, Deckeru_Maiku said:

To come up with a Nancy Sinatra song means You probably are as old or rather even older than me... frightening how many really old people seem to play this game... ^^

Yeah, it's like people who listen to Beethoven have to be 200 years old, makes total sense if you think about it.

Players
1,156 posts
18,686 battles
10 minutes ago, Deckeru_Maiku said:

1 minute ago, 250swb said:

Yeah, it's like people who listen to Beethoven have to be 200 years old, makes total sense if you think about it.

It actually sets a maximum instead of a minimum age bar: from my own experience, anything newer than what was trendy in your teenage years, early twenties at most, becomes "noise" unless it reminds you of something from then or older, something your parents would have listened to when you were a child.

Salute.

Beta Tester
4,846 posts
20,242 battles
46 minutes ago, 250swb said:

Probably... I can only speak for myself, but I always thought of Mr. B. as a bit too oldfashioned for my taste...

15 minutes ago, Estaca_de_Bares said:

It actually sets a maximum instead of a minimum age bar: from my own experience, anything newer than what was trendy in your teenage years, early twenties at most, becomes "noise" unless it reminds you of something from then or older, something your parents would have listened to when you were a child.

Salute.

Exactly... and that's the reason why there was - for a few exceptions - no good music before the late sixties or later than the early eighties. ^^

Players
628 posts
2,129 battles
3 minutes ago, Deckeru_Maiku said:

Probably... I can only speak for myself, but I always thought of Mr. B. as a bit too oldfashioned for my taste...

Yes, get down with the kiddies brother! Until your back gives out and the hair on your knuckles is longer than the hair on your head :Smile_trollface:

Sign in to follow this