You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
TruePhoenix

The Chronicles of Potato

37 comments in this topic

[-TCP-]
Players
216 posts

Hello.

I was having a discussion on another thread and got slightly off topic. So I thought I'd start one up to cover the Chronicles of Potato.

I am genuinely looking for advice on how to improve my gameplay and some players responded with good advice, especially to post replays of games to help. 

The initial discussion started here

I have 2 objectives:

1. Increase damage to the enemy and improve my poor WR.

2. How to have a good game whilst the team around me melts / hides or defends the J line. (Its this particularly I want to improve)

I'd welcome any well intentioned advice to the replays I will occasionally post. Thanks.

• Cool 4

[CATS]
Players
26,719 posts
14,317 battles

You should tell us the class you need help with, better even when you name a Tier and best would be if you told us the ship you need help with.

• Cool 1

[SHAFT]
Players
9,820 posts
8,982 battles

What i can tell you without any replays, so just some general stuff:

- Dont focus on games, where your team is really bad. Its a teamgame afterall, so the better team should win. 1 Player cant do everything by himself.

- Analyze your own game afterwards and spot your own mistakes. Why did you die? Could it have been avoidable? Or if you dont contribute much, could you have taken a more active role?

- Map awareness: Look at the minimap all the time. Look where your team is going. When enemies get spotted, where are most of them going? Are you on the weak or strong flank.

- Look at the lineup, which ships are dangerous to you. Be aware when they are spotted, and be cautious if they are not spotted at all.

21 minutes ago, TruePhoenix said:

2. How to have a good game whilst the team around me melts / hides or defends the J line. (Its this particularly I want to improve)

Gotta warn you on this one: Its really frustrating. If you have a good game but inevitably lose at the end. But thats how those games work: Because your team is bad around you, if you are decent, you will farm more damage. But it might not be enough to turn the game, so it leaves a bitter taste in the end. Getting over this isnt easy, but aslong as you realize why that happens, you might be less frustrated.

And before you get to that level, you have some way to go :Smile-_tongue:

• Cool 5

[-TCP-]
Players
216 posts
15 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

You should tell us the class you need help with, better even when you name a Tier and best would be if you told us the ship you need help with.

Good point. 

Its T9/10 mainly.

I'm rubbish with DD's so I leave that alone for awhile, I need much more practice.

With CC I have become a long range sniper, it's not good. My Hindy stats are poor. Others are better though. I'm trying to be a bit more circumspect on when to push / not push in other CC's. When I play Lazo I have a much better time, though the stats are not great.

BB's was/is mainly down the German line. I'm scarred by the experience. I even researched the line but stopped at Bismark  (Unsinkable Sam cat)

Soviet BB is a much better experience to play, if not to win.

13 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

What i can tell you without any replays, so just some general stuff:

- Dont focus on games, where your team is really bad. Its a teamgame afterall, so the better team should win. 1 Player cant do everything by himself.

- Analyze your own game afterwards and spot your own mistakes. Why did you die? Could it have been avoidable? Or if you dont contribute much, could you have taken a more active role?

- Map awareness: Look at the minimap all the time. Look where your team is going. When enemies get spotted, where are most of them going? Are you on the weak or strong flank.

- Look at the lineup, which ships are dangerous to you. Be aware when they are spotted, and be cautious if they are not spotted at all.

Gotta warn you on this one: Its really frustrating. If you have a good game but inevitably lose at the end. But thats how those games work: Because your team is bad around you, if you are decent, you will farm more damage. But it might not be enough to turn the game, so it leaves a bitter taste in the end. Getting over this isnt easy, but aslong as you realize why that happens, you might be less frustrated.

And before you get to that level, you have some way to go :Smile-_tongue:

Thanks D, hopefully the vids will build up over the next few weeks. 

Utube is really slow to load the mp4 file too.

[SHAFT]
Players
9,820 posts
8,982 battles
26 minutes ago, TruePhoenix said:

Utube is really slow to load the mp4 file too.

You can just upload the replay file here (or at https://replayswows.com/ ), we can download them and start them with our client.

Takes much less time that way.

[-TCP-]
Players
216 posts

ok. Here is link to a random in the Lazo. This was the first video I did after deciding to follow the advice about replays (I'd be grateful to know if there is an easier way to produce the vids) and the battle didn't go as expected. However, other than getting lucky with a couple of torp barrages aimed at me, if gives you an idea of what I can do.

There will be videos showing the other side of the coin in the imminent future, no doubt.  

Action finishes at about 14 minutes

[INTRO]
[INTRO]
Players
1,437 posts
17,274 battles
1 hour ago, TruePhoenix said:

Simply put: "Git Gud!"

That meaning that you should learn what you can by reading stuff and watching stuff to know the mechanics of the game and remember what works and doesn't work after a game is over.

Learn the armor of the ships so you can protect your weak points and at the same time hit them on your enemies.

Learn speed, reload-time, torp-range, gun-range and turret-speed of the ships so you can use it to your advantage.

Learn how to aim, what to fire, when to fire and sometimes, even if you should fire at all.

This is not easy and it will not win games for you but it will increase your chances. There are no "One size fits all"-way to play so you'll have to find out most of this for yourself.

There are hundreds of little things you have to think of in the heat of battle.

What ship am I in?

What ships are on my team?

What ships are on the enemy-team?

What is my team doing?

What is the enemy team doing?

Who has the points-lead?

How much time is left?

What ship am I shooting at?

What ammo should I use?

Where should I go?

Does anyone on my team need my help?

Which enemy do we need to take down first.

And so on...….

There are no way in hell that anyone could tell you how to act in each and every situation. The variables are endless and so are the solutions. The only way to get a good grip on it is to play alot and have an open mind. I would say "Stop asking others how they do and find out for yourself." Nothing beats experience.

One of the things I love about this game is that it's equal parts knowledge and gut feeling. Somethings you have to know, other things you got to feel.

1 hour ago, TruePhoenix said:

Just do your best.

Sometimes you can turn a game. Sometimes you can't. Sometimes you'll see that your team can't win this game and all that remains is to go down swinging. You will lose and you will die, just sell yourself dearly.

Doesn't matter win or lose. As long as you are at the top half of your teams scoreboard, you've done well. Tell yourself "Well played!" (because no one else will) and go once more unto the breach dear friend. Most likey the next game will be nothing like the last but the day will come when you'll go "I remember this!" and, hopefully, you'll use what you learned so long ago.

Each game is a lesson. What will you learn from it?

• Cool 3

[SHAFT]
Players
9,820 posts
8,982 battles
25 minutes ago, TruePhoenix said:

Here is link to a random in the Lazo

I hope ill get everything, was quite a lot to remember:

1. Your team goes mostly A, so being cautious is good. What i like to do there, is to go closer to the island infront of D cap, and see, if your DD can spot the enemy DD. If you move out of that island, you are unspotted and can surprise the Enemy DD with a nice volley. Shooting the Gorizia being full broadside was too risky imo. Often, BBs are ready to fire right into your broadside. Turn before you shoot if its uncertain what is ahead.

2. NEVER !! switch to AP when you want to shoot a DD. HE is your weapon of choice against DDs. You wasted 1 salvo by swapping ammo.

Spoiler

image.png.08839ad9e2b18acc8fe1b3f806039635.png

This move i didnt get. You went to the mapborder, while most of the enemy team was at A. There was one BB not spotted, but that shouldnt give you much trouble. Even tht was spotted at B soon after. If it would have went to D, it should have been spotted either way.

So you were too far away from your DD, the enemy Gorizia could rush your DD and kill it (ok THROW is a good clan, but still, he didnt play very well). If you would have been closer, you might have made the Gorizia run away or kill it before it got to your DD, you had BB backup afterall.

4. While its certainly good, that you know that you have both HE and AP, you are using them at the wrong moments. Broadside Cruisers can be punished with AP, but you gotta go for the Citadel them. If a Cruiser is angled, dont use AP. (there are Cruisers, which can overmatch others with AP,  but thats something you will learn along the way).

Like agaisnt the De Grasse, you had double the firepower he had (he 1 backturret, you 2 frontturrets). You didnt deal much at all with your AP. With HE you would have killed him much faster, also try to wiggle in/out to get all guns on target.

The De Grasse also lured you to right towards the enemy BBs. Running after him surely wasnt the best move. I mean, it was cyclone, thats why you were safe from the BBs, otherwise they would have shot you from further away. But at the same time, if you would have used HE, you would have killed him much faster. That you killed the Iron duke was lucky, because he just rushed you and you got him with torps.

5. Its nice, that you want to shoot the Colorado from stealth using the Minimap in the cyclone, but watch where you are going. In this specific game, you were already low, so surviving was the main objective anyway. But sometimes you need to close the distance rather than to increase it even further.

6. Watch where your shells are going. Your lead is not good all the time. While you can somewhat estimate the targets speed, you still miss them. Zoom in before they land, see how far you are off. Correct aim accordingly.

But that is something, you should learn with more experience aswell.

7. I had something else, but now i forgot it :cap_haloween:

8. Something else was, if Cruisers are showing broadside for no apparent reason, that means they are torping (De Grasse / Montecuccoli). Basicly you need to know, which Cruisers have what kinda torprange, so you know if you are safe or not.

• Cool 1

[IDDQD]
Alpha Tester
3,669 posts
23,521 battles
Před 1 hodinou TruePhoenix řekl/a:

Hello.

I was having a discussion on another thread and got slightly off topic. So I thought I'd start one up to cover the Chronicles of Potato.

I am genuinely looking for advice on how to improve my gameplay and some players responded with good advice, especially to post replays of games to help. 

I have 2 objectives:

I'd welcome any well intentioned advice to the replays I will occasionally post. Thanks.

Oh my. I want more people like you are.
Do you ever heard about HelpMe discord? Try it and you will love it :Smile_honoring:.

[SCRUB]
Players
3,809 posts
17,917 battles
2 hours ago, TruePhoenix said:

Apart from some specific situations (e.g. you're in a Shima and enemy has no radars nor stealthy DDs at your side of the map), it's better to just flee / retreat with your team, even if you don't want to. If you know it'll be a loss, all you can do is [try to] stay alive and rack up damage. Don't try to be a hero in a losing situation, it'll just get you killed.

[-TCP-]
Players
216 posts
20 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

I hope ill get everything, was quite a lot to remember:

1. Your team goes mostly A, so being cautious is good. What i like to do there, is to go closer to the island infront of D cap, and see, if your DD can spot the enemy DD. If you move out of that island, you are unspotted and can surprise the Enemy DD with a nice volley. Shooting the Gorizia being full broadside was too risky imo. Often, BBs are ready to fire right into your broadside. Turn before you shoot if its uncertain what is ahead.

2. NEVER !! switch to AP when you want to shoot a DD. HE is your weapon of choice against DDs. You wasted 1 salvo by swapping ammo.

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.08839ad9e2b18acc8fe1b3f806039635.png

This move i didnt get. You went to the mapborder, while most of the enemy team was at A. There was one BB not spotted, but that shouldnt give you much trouble. Even tht was spotted at B soon after. If it would have went to D, it should have been spotted either way.

So you were too far away from your DD, the enemy Gorizia could rush your DD and kill it (ok THROW is a good clan, but still, he didnt play very well). If you would have been closer, you might have made the Gorizia run away or kill it before it got to your DD, you had BB backup afterall.

4. While its certainly good, that you know that you have both HE and AP, you are using them at the wrong moments. Broadside Cruisers can be punished with AP, but you gotta go for the Citadel them. If a Cruiser is angled, dont use AP. (there are Cruisers, which can overmatch others with AP,  but thats something you will learn along the way).

Like agaisnt the De Grasse, you had double the firepower he had (he 1 backturret, you 2 frontturrets). You didnt deal much at all with your AP. With HE you would have killed him much faster, also try to wiggle in/out to get all guns on target.

The De Grasse also lured you to right towards the enemy BBs. Running after him surely wasnt the best move. I mean, it was cyclone, thats why you were safe from the BBs, otherwise they would have shot you from further away. But at the same time, if you would have used HE, you would have killed him much faster. That you killed the Iron duke was lucky, because he just rushed you and you got him with torps.

5. Its nice, that you want to shoot the Colorado from stealth using the Minimap in the cyclone, but watch where you are going. In this specific game, you were already low, so surviving was the main objective anyway. But sometimes you need to close the distance rather than to increase it even further.

6. Watch where your shells are going. Your lead is not good all the time. While you can somewhat estimate the targets speed, you still miss them. Zoom in before they land, see how far you are off. Correct aim accordingly.

But that is something, you should learn with more experience aswell.

7. I had something else, but now i forgot it :cap_haloween:

8. Something else was, if Cruisers are showing broadside for no apparent reason, that means they are torping (De Grasse / Montecuccoli). Basicly you need to know, which Cruisers have what kinda torprange, so you know if you are safe or not.

Thanks D,

1. Noted

2.Yep, that was me in finger trouble, I was watching for the DD and the CC

3. Yes, this happens a bit, I get my turn in or turn out wrong and lose position, it was a bad choice

4.Makes sense I should have already worked that out more. Some CC I do just use HE as a long range Firestarter.

5.Noted

6.Yeah, lead. I watched endless video's on utube to try and get this better. Its when they are angling and moving away I have trouble. Its weird I've played many games that require deflection firing and this is the first were I have an ongoing issue

7.Happens :-)

8.Yes, torps, I am picking up on the movement these days on occasions, I do forget sometimes....

Thanks for the advice :-)

Does the wow replay record the whole fight, I can only see end game screenshots? 

[-NFG-]
[-NFG-]
Players
213 posts
7,603 battles

From watching some of the video you need to work on ammo choices.  Initially I was going to make this point more strongly but you did get some right:

You started off firing AP at a broadside DD.  No, just no.  One salvo is fine if you had it loaded, or it is a khabarovsk.  But switch to HE as soon as you can

The AP was fine to use on the first cruiser.

When the monty appeared and sailed broadside around the island you should have loaded AP back up again.  Perfect line to dev strike him and you had time to switch before he popped up in front of you .  HE did the job eventually though, but it was painful to watch someone firing HE into the belt armor of a broadside cruiser.

The HE was fine to finish off the Gadjah.  Note how easily it wrecked it, that's why the AP at the start was a bad idea.

RNG was mean to you with the De Grasse.  You were nicely angled against him and he was broadside and yet no citadels.  Once he angled away you were wasting your time continuing with the AP.  Good job not turning to get your back turrets in play - I just knew those torps were heading for you and they missed because you were lined up facing him.

TLDR ammo choice guide (For light cruisers):

Is it a DD?  Is it something else but angled?  HE

Is it a broadside cruiser or a broadside khabarovsk? AP

This one takes more practice learning ranges and penetration values:

Is it a broadside BB?  AP into the upper belt if close enough

If you look at the image below you will see the main belt in red, which you probably can't pen with CL guns at any range.  Above it is the green upper belt, which you can wreck with AP of most calibres - except at extreme ranges.  What that range is depends on the target and your guns.

tEyjWAc.png

• Cool 1

[-TCP-]
Players
216 posts
12 minutes ago, lup3s said:

Apart from some specific situations (e.g. you're in a Shima and enemy has no radars nor stealthy DDs at your side of the map), it's better to just flee / retreat with your team, even if you don't want to. If you know it'll be a loss, all you can do is [try to] stay alive and rack up damage. Don't try to be a hero in a losing situation, it'll just get you killed.

It just feels wrong....if you know what I mean.

[-NFG-]
[-NFG-]
Players
213 posts
7,603 battles

Happy to help.  The fact that you are watching streamers and asking questions here is a good sign that you will get better.  I've also seen much worse play.

Remember that you can make a training room and practice in there on your own.  Bot ships can be stationary and unarmed if you just want to test your guns for how well they work with different  ranges / angles / ship types.  Or mobile but unarmed if you want to practice leading.  Or fully armed if you want a fight with no one else there to care if you get the kill / die badly / potato into an island / go afk because the doorbell went :Smile_izmena:

• Cool 4

[NSVE]
[NSVE]
Players
409 posts
12,285 battles

It's been mentioned earlier but just to reinforce the point, watch the replays of your own best and worst game. Try to work out why they are the best and worst and learn from the experience.

• Cool 2

Players
5,977 posts
11,493 battles
5 hours ago, TruePhoenix said:

Hello.

I have 2 objectives:

Apart from what's already been mentioned here, one thing I could advice you is to div up with epople, especially people who are vets in the game (and not necessarily unicums).

Another thing is to watch good people play. Personally I like Flamuu for this 

Spoiler

He streams most days and also often speaks what he thinks out loud so you know why he is making a turn or why he suddenly changed ammo type.

You can also watch his vids on youtube. This old one about the Iowa is imo a great one for getting the basics of battleships right.

Flamuu excels in positioning and map awareness and these 2 are usually the hardest for new players to grasp.

Spoiler

This vid is a bit dated imo. Please focus on how he handles his ship and how he is talking about his surroundings and how he lets this affects how he plays. And please focus on the battle itself and kinda ignore the post-battle build as it is outdated.

I would really like Flamuu to add generic videos on certain classes as I think this old one does get a lot of the basics about BB play right.

The thing I found the hardest when I was still a newb was that I often literally had no idea what I should be doing. I'm pretty sure this will sound familiar to you :Smile-_tongue:

If you are playing heavier ships: Angle. It works very similar to WoT (World of Tanks).

Anyway, here's my non-exhausting little list of tips for you :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 2

[-TCP-]
Players
216 posts

Thanks NBTR, I watch Flammu, flambas and Jingles and the Panzer guy and devour content on utube when it appears.

I think ammo selection (I need to be quicker), positioning (I get caught too often in the turn) and geography all could do with improvement.

I like Xanta99 idea of the training room, help me with aiming, get my deflection firing up to speed. 

• Cool 2

Players
6,433 posts
10,728 battles
8 minutes ago, TruePhoenix said:

From 45% to 46%. The potato is learning.

Just checked your stats: 55% recently solo, PR is climbing, so is average damage. K/D ratio is on the positive side now, survivability is up. Everything points in the right direction and looks decent. Damage you can still improve but that will come over time. Nice one mate, keep it up! And gj to everyone giving advice - community at its best! :cap_like:

• Cool 3

[-TCP-]
Players
216 posts
29 minutes ago, ForlornSailor said:

Just checked your stats: 55% recently solo, PR is climbing, so is average damage. K/D ratio is on the positive side now, survivability is up. Everything points in the right direction and looks decent. Damage you can still improve but that will come over time. Nice one mate, keep it up! And gj to everyone giving advice - community at its best! :cap_like:

Thank you. And yes, a big thanks to those who helped. I'm still open for more advice so if you can spare a little time , I'd be grateful.

• Cool 1

Players
660 posts
On 11/2/2019 at 1:38 PM, TruePhoenix said:

Good point. 

Its T9/10 mainly.

Thats your problem, right there.
Go back and do the lines again without using freeXP and learn the game in an environment where msitakes are not always punished by instant death.