Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
genosse

What happened to contests and community events?

8 comments in this topic

[KOKOS]
Players
451 posts
6,618 battles

Disclamer: I am posting this here, because I have a suspicion that, for good reason, nobody is reading the community/contest forum, but feel free to move the thread, if you think you have to.

What happened to contests like this one (Camouflage Design Contest - Błyskawica)? It seems to be almost a year that we had something like that.

If I look at the community news on the WoWs website, it's basically just "watch some dude's twitch stream and get a random container".

In case somebody didn't get the memo, yet: No offense to the guys doing the streams, but this is boring as hell.

Personally, I sometimes watch some YouTubers play the game, after they have cut all the uninteresting crap from their streams and put in some work to create proper content, but I'm not a fan of pure streamers for various reasons, and generally find them a waste of time. Maybe I am too old, who knows - this isn't the point here anyway.

So, the other contests usually require you to play one of 4 ships that are pre-selected by WG over and over and over, hoping to get a perfect match by sheer luck, because you have compete with 10.000 people on the entire server for base XP. And I think this is, you guessed it, not only boring as hell, but also a lottery that you can only influence slightly, by spending obscene amounts of time in the game.

Why can't players compete and be rewarded for being creative and by actually doing something, instead of just consuming someone else's stuff?

It shouldn't be too hard to come up with some ideas now, should it?

From the top of my head:

- You already have a cooperation with Cobi, so why not make a contest about who can create the most cool/creative/stunning warship-related brick model?

- Warhammer 40k coop is probably coming, so hold a contest and let us design WoWs ships in the style of 40k, no matter if it's a painting, a kit-bashed model, a well-made Photoshop or something your kid made from play dough.

- Halloween is over, but where was the "show us your best warship-related costumes or halloween decoration" contest? (Yes, I know it's an American thing, but still)

- Christmas is around the corner. Show us your warship-related christmas decorations, cookies and knitted sweaters.

- Obvious one, but how about designing another camouflage?

- Create your own captain with portrait and short back-story.

- Create your own cosmetic flags.

- Do you paint? Do you build scale models? Do you weld stuff, work with a lathe and wood, do you solder, do you code, do you make music - do you create anything? Show us your best stuff.

I mean stupid and simple ideas like that, it's not rocket science.

Where are they? Did nobody participate in the last ones?

Edit: Before I forget, thanks to the community contributors who organize their own contests! You are doing a good job, I just think that Wargaming should do that job, too. ;)

Edit 2: Okay, there actually were contests like painting an egg for Easter and the Naval Nonsense comic stips, which is good, but I still think it could happen far more often.

• Cool 5

Players
7,032 posts
245 battles

If there are any events running then, they arent advertised well too be honest. Since i would love to try my hand at creating a skin for any of the ships here.

too be honest im surprised this isn’t a regular thing.

oh btw being from gen z your not the only one who finds streamers boring sometimes, i guess it depends on the game and person but still.

i dont watch streams of peeps who have the same game as me as that makes no sense, unless they offer some useful advice and tips that i didnt know beforehand.

• Cool 2

Players
2,385 posts
15,452 battles
4 hours ago, genosse said:

Disclamer: I am posting this here, because I have a suspicion that, for good reason, nobody is reading the community/contest forum, but feel free to move the thread, if you think you have to.

(...)

Let me try to predict what WereGamink representative might say:

"Spreadsheet shows Community finds in-game events - we inform about in the "News Section" of the game client - much more engaging, hence we decided to reduce resources in the Community Department and focus on Game Ballancing."

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 1

[HOO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
3,242 posts

NA does do them, bi-weekly. So: EU-staff can’t be bothered to invest some effort in it.

Players
1,697 posts
18,562 battles

It's certainly not a priority for EU the NA get them a lot more and when people here ask why this is the case, it's usually pointed out people here would complain a lot about its implementation. 

Actually thinking about community unity events I still remember the #allpetsondeck event where people were encouraged to post pictures of their pets and the winner would have it included in game, unsurprisingly it didn't get a lot of uptake and was quietly forgotten about. 

Players
460 posts
2,228 battles

And I still think we have the best dev/mod team with their weekly stream.  You can't  have everything.

But I want that flag...:cap_viking:

• Cool 1

[HOO]
Players
1,900 posts
3,737 battles
11 hours ago, MrFingers said:

NA does do them, bi-weekly. So: EU-staff can’t be bothered to invest some effort in it.

Too be fair to them, there are a lot of languages to try to co-ordinate a cluster wide event over. I don't think the WG EU community hamsters have the time to cope with that level of organisation.

Sign in to follow this