Server Restart - 30 October, 05:00 UTC Read more... ×
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Naval_gunner

Does the Smolensk need a nerf.

103 comments in this topic

[KITEN]
[KITEN]
Players
10 posts
4,745 battles

I know most people might not agree or do.. but in my view the Smolensk is a little OP to be in this game and the fire chance is too high... having smoke is a bit much..but seriously when I play either Kremlin or other BB's or cruisers I get killed in seconds and its ridicules .

Smolensk just needs a nerf and I don't like how the developer released it in such a broken state. :fish_palm:

• Cool 3
  • Boring 6

[KITEN]
[KITEN]
Players
10 posts
4,745 battles

lets see what the Italians brings but right now im concerned about the Russian legendary commander which hes gunna cost 175k coal in the armory.

[THESO]
Moderator, Players
1,239 posts
8,642 battles

Hello,

Smolensk itself isn't particularly strong, her statistics are actually not bad at the moment considering her 50.8% winrate despite her above-average damage and XP which is probably more likely due to the fact that most players able to aquire her within the first couple of months are generally experienced players. But having played her as well as the majority of T10 cruisers both silver and premium, she is a strong ship to an experienced player. Seriously strong. Particularly I like to compare her to Worcester, both ships were intended to effectively be high-dpm HE-spamming light cruisers but Worcester is worse in almost every way. I even regard Worcester's armour as worse considering unlike Smolensk, Worcester's armour is thick enough to arm a large variety of AP shells.

I personally think Smolensk in general isn't that strong as she actually depends heavily on teamplay, you don't have to be particularly good either to play her but her skill ceiling is still far higher due to the variety of benefits she has above a ship like Worcester. Feeble armour which doesn't arm AP shells, followed by 16 fast-loading guns with great HE and fire-starting chance even with IFHE and a maximum range of 19.2km, decent manouverability and brutal AA armament and smoke means if you're an experienced player you can make do in a large number of different scenarios which may not favour you! You are capable of holding flanks entirely by yourself and a helpful DD spotting for you. This ship is an absolute nightmare in the hands of strong players, she is a pain and even when cornered you could still struggle to finish her off.

Her potential is the problem, it is just...

976637029_toodamnhigh.thumb.png.243c16e2b9acab2bbb8f40caa084d13a.png

• Cool 3

Players
1,909 posts

Ive actually stopped playing it because it is too easy and too strong. There are some people out there that think a ship like that is fine, which is beyond me. Either they must be really, REALLY bad or just biased because they own the ship and is afraid of their toy getting stolen from them. If its fine, why not give RN CL's HE? 

• Cool 9

[TTT]
Players
1,421 posts
13,259 battles

That Ship litteraly illustrates what can go wrong when you pair wooster with a mino and put it in one ship she gets HE for the radar... thats just substantially bad. 

• Cool 2

Players
1,709 posts
1 hour ago, CptMinia said:

but Worcester is worse in almost every way. I even regard Worcester's armour as worse considering unlike Smolensk, 

I think Worcester is a better team play ship, especially with the legendary module, the thing is when do you get to play real " Team Play "

For myself Des Moines is a better ship than both of them.

[TTT]
Players
1,421 posts
13,259 battles
Just now, Barracuda_111 said:

I think Worcester is a better team play ship, especially with the legendary module, the thing is when do you get to play real " Team Play "

For myself Des Moines is a better ship than both of them.

Yes that she might be but she also has at least some weakness.

That Russian Thing needs you to be able to smoke, then push button and profit. it gives up nothing for it, is trollish as crap unless you can fire from multiple angles on it... really just beyond me how to implement it like this. 

• Cool 1

[ASS_D]
Players
4 posts
5,118 battles

I think she should be nerfed.
She's not bonkers strong as some might argue, but the combination of HE, smoke and extremely strong AA gives her too many strength in my opinion.
She's dependent on teamplay, but that teamplay only requires a DD to be somewhere around the enemy and smolensk can open up and have fun. And what battle is not dependent on teamplay anyway?
She can be countered, like all ships, but she is still hitting above her weight and with a fairly low risk. Teamplaying with a DD or other smoke ship and you have an extremely strong ship that can lock down an entire flank.

The tweaks I'd like to see would be for reduced range and reduced AA, as that would open up for some more counters and make so that she has less time to react.
She can burn down most ships in a 1 on 1 right now, and will win a DPM battle most of the time.

Sure, good players will always be able to beat a Smolensk commanded by an average player. But the problem is that it's extremely deadly in the hands of a good player.

I honestly never wanted this ship in game, nor the Colbert, as I don't see why we need more rapid fire island/smoke campers. It's not particularly fun to play as one, nor against one.
Plus Smolensk is just a kutuzov on steroids, that remember was removed from the shop as it was too strong with the combination of HE and smoke.
So I'd hope for Wargaming to just think twice before pumping out ships like this. As I see a lot of grief in chats when one side has a smolensk and the other team doesn't, it is clearly ruining games for people and we can argue all we want about OP or not OP, but if it's bringing a negative impact to the game, something is wrong. 

• Cool 1

Players
1,709 posts
4 minutes ago, The_Reichtangle said:

Yes that she might be but she also has at least some weakness.

That Russian Thing needs you to be able to smoke, then push button and profit. it gives up nothing for it, is trollish as crap unless you can fire from multiple angles on it... really just beyond me how to implement it like this. 

I think the Smolensk penetration is a significant issue, I stopped using IFHE on mine, thus hitting multiple targets superstructure and trying to torp flood them.

There for this strategy is dependant on having " Multiply Targets " in return this means playing more where the " action is " being a more dangerous tactic, the lack of acceleration I find a bit of an issue with Smolensk.

I do not think Smolensk is over powered, I think it has weakness,s that can be, " exploited " , for my self when players get use to dealing with it, the " kerfuffle " will dye down, like it did with battle ship Moskva.

• Cool 2

[SHAFT]
Players
9,877 posts
9,003 battles
9 hours ago, Naval_gunner said:

but seriously when I play either Kremlin or other BB's or cruisers I get killed in seconds and its ridicules .

Yep, its Cruisers killing BBs in seconds, not the other way around :fish_palm:

image.png.faf7c4fae4d8aa2d7e0ccbbcf5f0adab.png

That is your problem, you play way too much BBs. Play Cruisers/DDs more and you will become a better BB player. And stop the rediculous claims, that BBs die in seconds to a Cruiser.

3 hours ago, Rolle_ said:

As I see a lot of grief in chats when one side has a smolensk and the other team doesn't, it is clearly ruining games for people and we can argue all we want about OP or not OP, but if it's bringing a negative impact to the game, something is wrong.  

I agree with this one. I dont consider her to be really OP, but bad for the game. But Smolensk isnt the only ship, which is bad for the game, that started way earlier.

• Cool 2

Players
1,100 posts
11,516 battles
1 hour ago, DFens_666 said:

I agree with this one. I dont consider her to be really OP, but bad for the game. But Smolensk isnt the only ship, which is bad for the game, that started way earlier.

In this case WG really out performed their-self.

Smolensk is a design that is broken - it only brings toxicity into the game.

But looking at the stats, it is also remarkably OP. Last week it played almost as many battles as Zao/Hindenburg/Henry combined. Still maintaining 50%+ WR and 82k+ damage. You do not see it on "balanced" ship. Very popular ships usually experience "Tirpitz syndrome".

• Cool 1

Supertester
2,447 posts
11,527 battles
7 hours ago, CptMinia said:

Hello,

Smolensk itself isn't particularly strong, her statistics are actually not bad at the moment considering her 50.8% winrate despite her above-average damage and XP which is probably more likely due to the fact that most players able to aquire her within the first couple of months are generally experienced players. But having played her as well as the majority of T10 cruisers both silver and premium, she is a strong ship to an experienced player. Seriously strong. Particularly I like to compare her to Worcester, both ships were intended to effectively be high-dpm HE-spamming light cruisers but Worcester is worse in almost every way. I even regard Worcester's armour as worse considering unlike Smolensk, Worcester's armour is thick enough to arm a large variety of AP shells.

I personally think Smolensk in general isn't that strong as she actually depends heavily on teamplay, you don't have to be particularly good either to play her but her skill ceiling is still far higher due to the variety of benefits she has above a ship like Worcester. Feeble armour which doesn't arm AP shells, followed by 16 fast-loading guns with great HE and fire-starting chance even with IFHE and a maximum range of 19.2km, decent manouverability and brutal AA armament and smoke means if you're an experienced player you can make do in a large number of different scenarios which may not favour you! You are capable of holding flanks entirely by yourself and a helpful DD spotting for you. This ship is an absolute nightmare in the hands of strong players, she is a pain and even when cornered you could still struggle to finish her off.

Her potential is the problem, it is just...

976637029_toodamnhigh.thumb.png.243c16e2b9acab2bbb8f40caa084d13a.png

So that's basically what everyone has always been saying: the ships skill ceiling is too high. And by the way, seeing that Smolensk is actually the most played t10 cruiser on EU these days, the arguments with the experienced players doesn't really hold up anymore. If anything, it's concerning how much damage average joe is able to get out of this ship as well.

Solution is easy: nerf range and force the ship to get closer. Don't enable it to still do massive damage by staying at long range even when reduced to 10k HP. It's not rocket science.

• Cool 3

Players
10,038 posts
11,833 battles
13 minutes ago, Earl_of_Northesk said:

So that's basically what everyone has always been saying: the ships skill ceiling is too high. And by the way, seeing that Smolensk is actually the most played t10 cruiser on EU these days, the arguments with the experienced players doesn't really hold up anymore. If anything, it's concerning how much damage average joe is able to get out of this ship as well.

Solution is easy: nerf range and force the ship to get closer. Don't enable it to still do massive damage by staying at long range even when reduced to 10k HP. It's not rocket science.

Given Musashi, Missouri and Kronshtadt weren't nerfed, simply removed from purchase... I'd hurry up on securing extra balans for yourself. Because WG lost interest in having fun and balanced game quite long time ago.

One way of "nerfing" her would be increasing citadel plating to 100mm or so, thus she would consistently arm AP fuses. Doubt it would fix issue of shell overpens due to being narrow tho.

• Cool 1

[KAKE]
Players
2,581 posts
6,218 battles

Admittedly, I've only had two(?) games in her so far, so I can't say I have much of an impression to build on.

That said, I think a large part of the problem with her is that she's one of those ships that benefits just a little bit too much from captain skills.

I don't have a shedload of high skill RU captains, nor do I have enough elite captain exp to throw around, so in my case I play her with a ten point DD captain without AFT. And she's good, but her limitations are still felt. If you have enough resources to get a 19 point dedicated captain for her, she's a whole different kettle of fish.

So yeah. I suspect your mileage may vary a lot depending on which skills you can slap on her skipper.

Players
1,709 posts
23 minutes ago, Earl_of_Northesk said:

So that's basically what everyone has always been saying: the ships skill ceiling is too high.

??????

I am not saying that.

Get near an island so when your smoke runs out you can get cover, stay 10km away from ships, so you can disengage, pop the smoke, and start " The Music " on any thing up to 16km away.

Pull the Lever Get a Banana. 

You dont need to go to The Britannia Royal Navy Collage to use it. 

Image result for really hard gif

• Cool 1

Players
10,038 posts
11,833 battles
4 minutes ago, Uglesett said:

Admittedly, I've only had two(?) games in her so far, so I can't say I have much of an impression to build on.

That said, I think a large part of the problem with her is that she's one of those ships that benefits just a little bit too much from captain skills.

I don't have a shedload of high skill RU captains, nor do I have enough elite captain exp to throw around, so in my case I play her with a ten point DD captain without AFT. And she's good, but her limitations are still felt. If you have enough resources to get a 19 point dedicated captain for her, she's a whole different kettle of fish.

So yeah. I suspect your mileage may vary a lot depending on which skills you can slap on her skipper.

"For balancing reasons, we have decided to remove main armament oriented benefits for following skills: Basic Firing Training, Advanced Firing Training and Demolition Expert. Players can unlock option for free captain respec by playing for 50h straight or purchasing yearly premium account"

:cap_book:

• Funny 1

[NIKE]
Beta Tester
3,398 posts
7,281 battles

Considering I didnt take Demo expert, didnt bother with any of the increased fire chance flags, and put a captain in that has IFHE (REDUCED fire chance), I probably shouldn't have had a game where I started 20 fires.

Oh and for double comedy if you stack AFT and the range module then you have 19km range, so you just set fire to anything on the map thats not currently on fire.

Worst part? That build isnt even consider optimal.

Players
7,111 posts
245 battles
25 minutes ago, Xevious_Red said:

Considering I didnt take Demo expert, didnt bother with any of the increased fire chance flags, and put a captain in that has IFHE (REDUCED fire chance), I probably shouldn't have had a game where I started 20 fires.

Oh and for double comedy if you stack AFT and the range module then you have 19km range, so you just set fire to anything on the map thats not currently on fire.

Worst part? That build isnt even consider optimal.

19km range?

1769900436_watdog.jpg.bbaa6fcbe42f55b3c4d951eb0e6f0bf6.jpg

Players
10,038 posts
11,833 battles
5 minutes ago, CptBarney said:

19km range?

1769900436_watdog.jpg.bbaa6fcbe42f55b3c4d951eb0e6f0bf6.jpg

This is example of glorious rashian logik camrade. Destroyers with their puny 130mm guns are prohibited from Range upgrade, but cruiser carrying mighty 130mm can mount said upgrade and double stack it with AFT:cap_tea:

And given 130mm/57 ballistics aren't far off from Russian 152mm, Smol have manageable time to impact even at such interesting ranges.

• Cool 1

[UNICS]
Players
4,506 posts
15,942 battles
5 minutes ago, Panocek said:

This is example of glorious rashian logik camrade. Destroyers with their puny 130mm guns are prohibited from Range upgrade, but cruiser carrying mighty 130mm can mount said upgrade and double stack it with AFT:cap_tea:

And given 130mm/57 ballistics aren't far off from Russian 152mm, Smol have manageable time to impact even at such interesting ranges.

I don't think I reach 19km with legendary GK, let alone hit anything at that range.

Players
7,111 posts
245 battles

Surprised a ship called bigensk isn't a thing with quad 203mm's or something.

Is it me or those premiums in testing jus gone ded or something?

[BBMM]
Players
6,017 posts
7,722 battles
15 hours ago, Naval_gunner said:

I know most people might not agree or do.. but in my view the Smolensk is a little OP to be in this game and the fire chance is too high... having smoke is a bit much..but seriously when I play either Kremlin or other BB's or cruisers I get killed in seconds and its ridicules .

Smolensk just needs a nerf and I don't like how the developer released it in such a broken state. :fish_palm:

Admits Kremlin....

Complains about Smolensk.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSbXysayzwqZ8F0y97nIuf

• Funny 1

Players
445 posts

Just got her, yes very strong with the right team play and position, nerfing her will upset a lot of people who grinded the coal , so WG of their own making in a loss/loss situation. Plenty of other ships in the same position but nothing really being done, cough Kremlin cough !

• Cool 2