Sign in to follow this  
iTchyfoot

IFHE on French cruisers inactive/inefficient?

6 comments in this topic

[BOATY]
Players
194 posts
3,949 battles

howdy folks,

yeah, i decided to jump on the French bandwagon and get the Henri IV. so i checked the recommended captain skills and got the IFHE. right now i'm at the Algerie (T7) and when i put my IFHE captain in it the skill says that it's "inefficient" with the current loadout. as seen below -

Bw2pSe1.jpg

now why is that? the IFHE affects a caliber below and above the 139mm, so it should be effective. or am i missing something?

thanks for any and all advice..

[CATS]
Players
20,334 posts
12,522 battles

Because your HE penetration will not increase above important thresholds.

When you need 32mm and already got 33mm, increasing it to 43mm will not benefit you much (yes, there are some 38mm and 40mm platings, but they are few).

[BLITZ]
Modder
4,378 posts
8,054 battles

You will get the penetration bonus for HE with that skill. But 203mm gun will get nothing from that skill. Because even the improved penetration is not enough to penetrate the next higher ingame armor values. On the other hand does the Henry 4. not wield 203mm guns, but 240mm. And with that caliber you will penetrate specific armor values with IFHE. 

203mm

• normal (non-german) HE-penetration is 1/6 of the caliber: 33mm
  • with additional IFHE you increase this value by 30%: 43mm
  • the only armor threshold you pass is the 38mm center deck armor of some american BBs but nothing more

240mm

• normal (non-german) HE-penetration is 1/6 of the caliber: 39mm
  • with additional IFHE you increase this value by 30%: 51mm
  • now you are able the penetrate not even the 38mm of american BBs, but also the 50mm you found on german (e.g. Kurfurst) and soviet ships (like the Moskva or Stalingrad)

So taking IFHE on a ship with 203mm guns will have no real benefits, as you lower your overall fire chance as well picking this skill. 

[BOATY]
Players
194 posts
3,949 battles

so basically it means i am not able to penetrate anything with IFHE and 203s that i could not penetrate without IFHE and 203s, is that correct? using HE shells, i mean.

[BLITZ]
Modder
4,378 posts
8,054 battles
1 minute ago, iTchyfoot said:

so basically it means i am not able to penetrate anything with IFHE and 203s that i could not penetrate without IFHE and 203s, is that correct? using HE shells, i mean.

Yes. 

With the only small exception of the center deck armor of american BBs (38mm). But you still penetrate bow and stern. And this exception is not important enough to give up the fire chance, which inflicts every target you shot with HE. 

The 50mm armor threshold is much more frequent and important ingame, so taking IFHE on the Henry 4. is a considerable option. 

Sign in to follow this