You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
evergroy_lows

Twilight battles

134 comments in this topic

Players
278 posts
12,933 battles

This battle mode has to be one the most fun things WG has done for while, like I spent 14 hrs on twilight on the North American server, just one question what team are u going to join, peaceful green oil collectors or raising the jolly Roger and making out like a bandit, when I finish work I shall be making out like the true bandit King 👑 

• Cool 13

[THESO]
Players
2,349 posts
8,215 battles

Is.... Is that...... 

SOMETHING POSITIVE IN THIS FORUM???? 

Am I dreaming? 

This is fake right? 

I will join peaceful oil collectors to bring freedom about and around ★☆★☆★☆★

Players
278 posts
12,933 battles
19 minutes ago, CptBarney said:

Wait theres night battles now?

Did i miss something?

Yes, twilight battles, it's a pvp battle mode with 3 teams, it's ALOT of fun, there are truce between teams, breaking truce, kind of like high risk high reward teaming up to kill rasputin, because once he's dead, it's normally close quarters fight to the death over the spoils of war,

• Cool 2

[B0TS]
Players
262 posts
9,721 battles

This mode proves how stupid wows playerbase is.

How many battles you need to do to realize shooting human players will not benefit neither them neither YOU?

Monkeys would understand quicker.

• Cool 7
  • Funny 4
  • Bad 3
  • Angry 1

Players
278 posts
12,933 battles
3 minutes ago, Sugertukas said:

How many battles you need to do to realize shooting human players will not benefit neither them neither YOU?

Mate, I've had too much fun going in guns blazing, like honestly, just forget about the loot and have a good time, ur collect enough regardless 

• Cool 2

Players
658 posts
11,859 battles

Twilight Battles put an unfortunate damper on a very successful history of banning griefers from the game. From what I have seen it's a prime opportunity for any [end of the male sex organ] to gain joy from sabotaging other players legitimate effort in a game mode that allows for no-brainer win-win-situations.

That is imo an ungainly step into the wrong direction. There is no rationale in going PvP in this game mode, if you do the math.

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 2

[NIKE]
Beta Tester
3,287 posts
6,714 battles
23 hours ago, Sugertukas said:

-Human players still give XP, so can unlock the new ships faster. Also if grinding captain XP.

-Human players are the biggest threat. Why not kill them before they decide to kill you?

-If you're carrying 700 filth, you are a very easy way to fill my hold.

Now it doesn't benefit THEM for me to kill them, but it certainly benefits me.

Generally I wont hunt other players, but Im not squeamish about taking them out if needed.

The annoying is seeing players with full holds camping the portal - they could extract, but are just there to grief

• Cool 3
  • Bad 1

5,189 posts
9,826 battles
On 10/30/2019 at 4:39 PM, evergroy_lows said:

Mate, I've had too much fun going in guns blazing, like honestly, just forget about the loot and have a good time, ur collect enough regardless 

But maybe WG shouldn't then have created - yet another - game mode where those that just want to go Shooty Shooty Bang Bang infer with those that want to maximise their gains and gather Filth as quickly - and less troublesome - as possible.

If it were a team of 9 players with three starting positions ... heck, it might've been a great game mode.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

5,189 posts
9,826 battles
Just now, lossi_2018 said:

There is truce? :cap_fainting:

You can always suggest that at the begining of a game. So far it worked ... 3 out of 8 times? And even if you and some other guy agree on a truce, there's no guarantee, that a) your team will follow it (some may not even be proficient in the english language) and b) some will agree for a truce, wait at the gate and slaughter anybody down that wants to exit (for easy filth).

• Cool 1

Players
2,378 posts
14,184 battles

Half the games i play people just go in, guns blazing at any ship (including players) in sight.

A few games has seen a truce suggested in chat.

One of my first games with truce, a couple bandits on my team broke it at the end, sunk an entire other player team and lost one themselves, and I picked up all the filth with my BB :Smile_hiding:

[NIKE]
Beta Tester
3,287 posts
6,714 battles

Side note: Frequently the player that suggests the truce is the one that opens fire first. Just had a BB looking like he was going to extract. Sees me. Says "dont shoot". Sees our DD (also looking to extract). Deletes our DD.

• Cool 1

[ADRIA]
Players
121 posts
7,507 battles
1 hour ago, HMS_Kilinowski said:

Twilight Battles put an unfortunate damper on a very successful history of banning griefers from the game. From what I have seen it's a prime opportunity for any [end of the male sex organ] to gain joy from sabotaging other players legitimate effort in a game mode that allows for no-brainer win-win-situations.

That is imo an ungainly step into the wrong direction. There is no rationale in going PvP in this game mode, if you do the math.

Griefing? Do you even understand the meaning of the term? It is a PvP mode designed exactly for that: killing other players. If you want a special snowflake mode, go coop. I will kill each and every player standing in my way as long as my ship is afloat. And that is my legitimate effort.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 3

5,189 posts
9,826 battles
4 minutes ago, Gebe_ said:

I will kill each and every player standing in my way as long as my ship is afloat. And that is my legitimate effort.

Fair enough. This game mode is open for all rule abiding players. The problem: 

The prisoner's dilemma is a standard example of a game analyzed in game theory that shows why two completely rational individuals might not cooperate, even if it appears that it is in their best interests to do so. It was originally framed by Merrill Flood and Melvin Dresher while working at RAND in 1950. Albert W. Tucker formalized the game with prison sentence rewards and named it "prisoner's dilemma",[1] presenting it as follows:

Source

In short: If you don't shoot other human players and instead work together, then both of you would get much more filth extracted than by going on a solo warrior rampage. 

And isn't that why most players play this mode? To get a chance to farm enough filth to get a T10 permanent camouflage?

• Cool 3

Players
493 posts
22 minutes ago, Allied_Winter said:

And isn't that why most players play this mode? To get a chance to farm enough filth to get a T10 permanent camouflage?

And i thought it is to have some fun shooting up stuff. The permaflage is extremely ugly and the rest you can get isn't very interesting either.

• Bad 1

5,189 posts
9,826 battles
2 minutes ago, _DemonGuard_ said:

And i thought it is to have some fun shooting up stuff. The permaflage is extremely ugly and the rest you can get isn't very interesting either.

That's the basic "problem" of Warships: For different players, different stuff is recognized as "FUN". To me it's to min-max the game. And sadly, in this game mode it's not possible. ... or ... unlikely as it depends on your enemies playing along. Personally I don't care about how ugly or not a camouflage is as long as it's boni are good. And for a F2P player ... well he might have little choice, as this is one of the rare ways to get on a perma camouflage for T10 without spending money.

Just shooting up stuff can I do in CoOp too ... with the same reward: 0

• Cool 2

Players
493 posts
22 minutes ago, Allied_Winter said:

Just shooting up stuff can I do in CoOp too ... with the same reward: 0

I guess you missed the part where i mentioned "fun", because coop sure isn't. And it's not like if you won't get anything if not everyone from your team can escape through the portal.

Actually, my feedback from the test server was, that i don't like including the PvP aspect in the cooperative tradition of the halloween modes. But WG decided otherwise, so don't blame me, if i play it like WG intended it to be.

• Bad 2

Players
658 posts
11,859 battles
54 minutes ago, Gebe_ said:

Griefing? Do you even understand the meaning of the term? It is a PvP mode designed exactly for that: killing other players. If you want a special snowflake mode, go coop. I will kill each and every player standing in my way as long as my ship is afloat. And that is my legitimate effort.

No I don't understand the term. I'm an old wart who just picked it up in some internet slang dictionary, uneducated as I am.

Let me try: A griefer is a person who sacrifices achieving a rational goal in favor of annoying other people. I think waiting people out at the portal qualifies. As @Allied_Winter - thx btw for that constructive explanation - already elaborated, it is not optimal to act aggressive against your co-players. If you approach that event from a time-optimal point of view, you are best off to just grabbing as much filth as you can get within a couple of minutes, ignore the other players, Rasputin and her guards, and rush to the exit. Doing so gives the most filth per unit of time.

One could colaborate with other teams and take down Rasputin together, although at significant risk of losing ships and total amount of filth collected. That could be seen as more challenging, but frankly in the time it takes to accomplish that, one can do two speedruns and earn more filth.

The least optimal option is to fight with others for their filth. One doesn't get a lot more filth if one succeeds and runs a high risk of destruction and less revenue. In my limited experience, most of the players rejecting the offer of a truce, either got destroyed by the other teams or were so badly damaged, the bot Khabas wiped them beforethey could reach the portal. i frankly was laughing my behind off watching so many of these individuals falling victim to their own greed.

Of course one can try to "kill each and every player standing in [ones] way as long as [ones] ship is afloat." One however risks running into me, trying my patience and being slapped like a little girlie.

So my advice in general would be to be nice to each other and respect our common interests.

• Cool 6

5,189 posts
9,826 battles
13 minutes ago, _DemonGuard_ said:

I guess you missed the part where i mentioned "fun", because coop sure isn't.

CoOp can be fun, when you need a mission done with 5 wins and don't want to spend more than 15 minutes on it. In terms of my min-maxing strategy ... quite a lot of fun :) But as said, that's subjective.

15 minutes ago, _DemonGuard_ said:

And it's not like if you won't get anything if not everyone from your team can escape through the portal.

As Kilinowski said: Sure speed running while gathering some filth might be the best option. The problem with greed still stands: If everybody fights everybody to the throat, only a minority gets a bit of everything while the rest gets nothing. Not how I'd like to spend my time gaming.

16 minutes ago, _DemonGuard_ said:

so don't blame me

If it came across as such, please accept my appologies. It wasn't intended to put the "blame" on how each and everyone plays on anybody. All I was out for, was - bottom line - the same reaction you had: Don't introduce a PvP element into Halloween OPs.

• Cool 4

[NIKE]
Beta Tester
3,287 posts
6,714 battles
4 minutes ago, HMS_Kilinowski said:

The least optimal option is to fight with others for their filth. One doesn't get a lot more filth if one succeeds and runs a high risk of destruction and less revenue.

Of course one can try to "kill each and every player standing in [ones] way as long as [ones] ship is afloat." One however risks running into me, trying my patience and being slapped like a little girlie.

Amount of filth + risk depends greatly. Taking on a coordinated team that are carrying ~100 isnt a great option. Taking out a lone damaged ship carrying 700 is easy pickings.

Similarly risk vs other players depends on your own ability - if you're a 45% guy then you probably dont want to start a brawl with other players - you'll come of worse. However if you're a unicum you probably dont care who you tangle with.

• Cool 2

[ADRIA]
Players
121 posts
7,507 battles
38 minutes ago, HMS_Kilinowski said:

No I don't understand the term. I'm an old wart who just picked it up in some internet slang dictionary, uneducated as I am.

Let me try: A griefer is a person who sacrifices achieving a rational goal in favor of annoying other people. I think waiting people out at the portal qualifies. As @Allied_Winter - thx btw for that constructive explanation - already elaborated, it is not optimal to act aggressive against your co-players. If you approach that event from a time-optimal point of view, you are best off to just grabbing as much filth as you can get within a couple of minutes, ignore the other players, Rasputin and her guards, and rush to the exit. Doing so gives the most filth per unit of time.

Perhaps you could restrain from imposing your own views on the others? Maybe for your own min-maxing interests it is most fun (or a "rational goal", whichever you prefer) to gather the most amount of filth with the least amount of effort. For me the fun is in getting as much filth as possible while killing as many players as possible. I don't mind your game but don't try to impose your "universal truths" on me. WG's official statement is that the mode is designed with PvP in mind so this is the ruleset we all play in. You can pretend playing in some other ruleset, it doesn't change the facts. And it certainly doesn't give your "griefing" claims any legitimacy.

• Bad 2

5,189 posts
9,826 battles
4 minutes ago, Butterdoll said:

filth gives what? credits?

Gives access to bundels that drop coal (up to 3k per bundle) and a T8, T9 and/or T10 permanent camouflage.

4 minutes ago, Butterdoll said:

How can I gain the most Elite xp possible in twilight?

As far as I've heared, div up, nuke rasp, get 2.5k (in that neighbourhood) BXP 

• Cool 1

Players
658 posts
11,859 battles
25 minutes ago, Xevious_Red said:

Amount of filth + risk depends greatly. Taking on a coordinated team that are carrying ~100 isnt a great option. Taking out a lone damaged ship carrying 700 is easy pickings.

Similarly risk vs other players depends on your own ability - if you're a 45% guy then you probably dont want to start a brawl with other players - you'll come of worse. However if you're a unicum you probably dont care who you tangle with.

I understand the risk for a unicum player vs. a potato is lower and, given the opponent carries a lot of filth, attacking is tempting. My impression however is that, even a unicum player has a citadel and can take damage. This run for the exit takes place rather late and often there are already lots of bots in the center, making this a risky gamble. I cannot say i saw teams being successful with that. Mostly the aggressive team lost at least one ship and went home with less filth than they would have got had they minded their own business. 

9 minutes ago, Gebe_ said:

Perhaps you could restrain from imposing your own views on the others? Maybe for your own min-maxing interests it is most fun (or a "rational goal", whichever you prefer) to gather the most amount of filth with the least amount of effort. For me the fun is in getting as much filth as possible while killing as many players as possible. I don't mind your game but don't try to impose your "universal truths" on me. WG's official statement is that the mode is designed with PvP in mind so this is the ruleset we all play in. You can pretend playing in some other ruleset, it doesn't change the facts. And it certainly doesn't give your "griefing" claims any legitimacy.

I don't impose my rules on others. I made a recommendation and i stated that players risking their rewards for the sake of ruining the reward for other players is imo griefing. Nobody forces you to share that opinion, I will utter it nonetheless. Besides, you're right, we both play in the very same ruleset. I am not some potato begging to keep his marbles. It's just as much joy for me to blap you as it would be for you to blap me. I can accept that feeling of joy and satisfaction. I just think it's irrational nonesense.

I don't see how PvP in that seup is exciting. It's not challenging for me to bully some potato for his lunch money. Going up against a good player may be more challenging but at the same time pretty risky and, since it's not a zero-sum-game, unnecessary. I rather see the other players backing up my retreat to the gate instead of killing them and then die 200m from the gate due to some Khabe flooding me.

The point is, we got Clan Battles, we got directives from italian cruisers and now this stuff. If you feel you got more time to spend in Twilight Battle than necessary, that's a luxury that many of us don't have.

Personally I would find it more challenging and interesting to take the bots for all they have and see 9 ships packed with filth leave through the gate. It surely doesn't hurt my interests.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1