Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
AndyHill

The nightmarish halloween grind

42 comments in this topic

[POP]
Weekend Tester
807 posts

I have to ask: WG are you completely insane? Do you have any idea how much work it is to grind the filth? The unlocks are out of this world -grindy already, but holy crab on what planet does anyone think that 50k credits is worth 1000 filth? 24 of the 8000 unlocks is not even humanly possible, let alone the other tracks. I was kind of expecting missions and stuff that would produce extra filth, but if this is really everything we're getting, it's just completely nuts.

image.png.a8dd94ce5734da4e8de529d37c783fc9.png

• Cool 3

[THESO]
Players
2,216 posts
7,696 battles

You don't really have to grind it if it's to much you know. 

• Cool 2
  • Boring 4
  • Bad 1

Players
835 posts
15,726 battles

Well they were honest in the article where they lay out exactly how much we would have to do to grind it all, I wont put that level of effort in but at weekends its better than randoms 

Players
101 posts
6,564 battles

If you find a nice div to play in, Three of you can get 1500-3000 a run from it and thats not too bad.

I have the tier 8 Camo and like 7 boxes from the tier 9 box set.

Not too bad if you have friends...

• Cool 2

[KAKE]
Players
1,887 posts
4,326 battles

They do seem to design their events to be as unattractive as possible.

You can argue all day that "if you don't like it, don't play" but... well, if the events aren't really attractive compared to just playing the regular game modes, then it seems like a bit of a wasted effort to design them in the first place.

• Cool 13

[THESO]
Players
2,216 posts
7,696 battles
Vor 1 Minute, Uglesett sagte:

They do seem to design their events to be as unattractive as possible.

You can argue all day that "if you don't like it, don't play" but... well, if the events aren't really attractive compared to just playing the regular game modes, then it seems like a bit of a wasted effort to design them in the first place.

They are not attractive to who? You can't please everyone. They are modeling and developing those events because people love them otherwise it would be a waste of resources. This grind is just a bonus. 

The event is there for you to be able to do something different and have fun. It's goal is not to give you cammo those are just a bonus. 

• Cool 1

[KAKE]
Players
1,887 posts
4,326 battles
1 minute ago, Yoshanai said:

They are not attractive to who? You can't please everyone. They are modeling and developing those events because people love them otherwise it would be a waste of resources. This grind is just a bonus. 

The event is there for you to be able to do something different and have fun. It's goal is not to give you cammo those are just a bonus. 

That's the thing, though. Making it a grind is a good way of taking the fun out of something. It's been quite often lately that I see the reward system they've set up for a new event and it basically just kills my enthusiasm immediately.

And if you think people do not play games for the reward mechanisms they offer... well, that's a bit naive.

• Cool 8

[NIKE]
Beta Tester
3,234 posts
6,556 battles

My view is that the mode is fun to play - its something different. I'll play it for the same reason I play any mode: because I enjoy playing it. The "grind" is just free stuff - I'll get as much free stuff as I feel like playing it. If I stop feeling like playing it, I'll stop. The rewards are nice, but they're not going to make me play if I dont want to.

• Cool 4

[THESO]
Players
2,216 posts
7,696 battles
Vor 1 Minute, Uglesett sagte:

That's the thing, though. Making it a grind is a good way of taking the fun out of something. It's been quite often lately that I see the reward system they've set up for a new event and it basically just kills my enthusiasm immediately.

And if you think people do not play games for the reward mechanisms they offer... well, that's a bit naive.

Playing the event is the fun part. You play until you don't have fun anymore in it... What's wrong with that? 

Noone says you need to grind. Play it to have fun and when it's not anymore drop it. If you really want the reward WORK FOR It. That's why it's a grind. Why should WG make it easy if it can be used to make some money on the side in a F2P game??? 

Even in subscription MMOs you have to grind in events and there you pay monthly fees. 

• Cool 2

[KAKE]
Players
1,887 posts
4,326 battles
13 minutes ago, Yoshanai said:

Playing the event is the fun part. You play until you don't have fun anymore in it... What's wrong with that? 

Well, if you hit the "don't have fun anymore" point before you even start because the "reward" system kills your interest, then the effort is sort of wasted on the devs' part.

Noone says you need to grind. Play it to have fun and when it's not anymore drop it. If you really want the reward WORK FOR It. That's why it's a grind.

It's a grind because Skinner box mechanics work, not because there's any inherent in-game economic reason for it. Skinner boxes get people playing, at least until they get burned out on Skinner box mechanics, and then you risk players getting to the point where I am, where any hint of it just makes me go "meh" and skip the entire thing.

Of course, I may be overestimating the percentage of players who are burned out on Skinner box mechanics.

• Cool 3

[T-N-T]
Weekend Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
4,979 posts
10,759 battles
1 minute ago, thiextar said:

credits to reddit, this is how you do it:

1434559691_2019-10-3016_01_11-ThenewHalloweenmonsterbattleroyalemodeinanutshell_WorldOfWarships.thumb.jpg.e33ace52048400f893538e237439f50c.jpg

Game theory in practice

• Cool 2

[FAILS]
Players
253 posts
16,008 battles

So finally actual teamwork in WoWs :Smile_teethhappy:

I'll go with the simple solution however and just not bother with this mode, the same way I didn't play a single game in that whatever it was called three DD torp soup thing a while back.

• Cool 3

[NIKE]
Beta Tester
3,234 posts
6,556 battles
34 minutes ago, Uglesett said:

Well, if you hit the "don't have fun anymore" point before you even start because the "reward" system kills your interest, then the effort is sort of wasted on the devs' part.

Make it completeable in a day: "Ok it was fun for this day, but what's the point of playing it now since I have all the rewards?"

Make it completeable in a week: "Ok I got the main reward, but why havent you included a stretch reward?!?!"

Make it completeable in a month: "Whats the point of playing? I cant dedicate a month to this so I might as well not bother"

Make it so you're rewarded regardless of level of involvement, from playing 1-2 games to playing it constantly all month: "I want all the top stuff, and I dont want to play it all month so Im not going to bother"

Im interested to see what your suggestion for a reward scheme would be, because I dont think Ive seen a single event/reward where SOMEONE didnt label it as the worst thing ever.

Personally Im not a huge fan of "random" boxes mostly because someone always gets the top item in box 1, where sod's law says for me it'll be in box 23/24, so now I just see what I get instead of aiming for something in particular.

• Cool 3

[KAKE]
Players
1,887 posts
4,326 battles
1 minute ago, Xevious_Red said:

Im interested to see what your suggestion for a reward scheme would be

Earn event currency. Spend event currency on specific, non-random rewards.

[CAIN]
Players
3,398 posts
12,632 battles

Nightmarish grind? Well, kinda fits the Halloween theme then. 

Seems like WG nailed it for once… :Smile_hiding:

• Funny 6

Players
254 posts
12,500 battles
48 minutes ago, thiextar said:

credits to reddit, this is how you do it:

1434559691_2019-10-3016_01_11-ThenewHalloweenmonsterbattleroyalemodeinanutshell_WorldOfWarships.thumb.jpg.e33ace52048400f893538e237439f50c.jpg

That's the boring 💤 way, just shoot up the place get all the buffs and pull of  some Dank moves, regarding loot, u farm enough regardless l, question is are u going to be boring or have fun being a bandit 

[NIKE]
Beta Tester
3,234 posts
6,556 battles
8 minutes ago, Uglesett said:

Earn event currency. Spend event currency on specific, non-random rewards.

They did this. It was complained about that there wasn't enough rewards by those who already owned certain ships/didnt want THOSE prizes. (Warspite event).

Alternatively, when they had lots of good prizes, it was complained about that people had to PICK what to get, and couldn't get everything unless they played a lot. (Smith/tachibana/modules event)

Players
193 posts
1,368 battles

This whole event sucks. It’s PvE which is bad in itself in a PvP centered game. No introduction of what you are supposed to do so first timers are clueless and drag the team down. New ships with abilities people aren’t used to. And in addition to that the event are ridiculously hard. Couldn’t get a team decent enough to get 5 stars for the second event in like 15 matches before I gave up. 

[KAKE]
Players
1,887 posts
4,326 battles
25 minutes ago, Xevious_Red said:

They did this. It was complained about that there wasn't enough rewards by those who already owned certain ships/didnt want THOSE prizes. (Warspite event).

Alternatively, when they had lots of good prizes, it was complained about that people had to PICK what to get, and couldn't get everything unless they played a lot. (Smith/tachibana/modules event)

Not sure how this is in any way a counter argument.

I mean, the same criticisms can be leveled at this event, only more so because they've slapped a random element on top to fuel those addiction traits that Skinner box mechanics are intended to exploit.

At least with selectable rewards you have a decent chance at getting something you want.

And I don't think they create quite the same level of burnout as randomized grinds.

Modder
1,799 posts
12,603 battles

More and more divs find an easier way for cheap filth:

Park near the centre, shoot everyone who tries to secure the earned filth. :fish_nerv:

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

Players
254 posts
12,500 battles
10 minutes ago, Smeggo said:

More and more divs find an easier way for cheap filth:

Park near the centre, shoot everyone who tries to secure the earned filth. :fish_nerv:

Yes I've done that, but I've literally been out played, I've also out played some people that tried to do that to me 

[NWP]
Players
6,826 posts
7,602 battles
1 hour ago, Smeggo said:

Park near the centre, shoot everyone who tries to secure the earned filth.

Ive had several people camp center without any filth collcted, and all of them shoot those who collected some filth. Yep, 10/10 gamemode WG, not gonna bother with it anymore.

Bad concept made worse by playerbase. It would be better in a division based PvE event, which would be purely grinding, but without the extra toxicity added because you can only hate the others.

• Cool 2

Players
3,784 posts
19,333 battles

The most evil thing You can do is having Your ship full and still defend portal :-P. It's a total opposite of clockwise strategy ;-)

Is this a first game mode with teams of people and bots ?

Players
545 posts
1,908 battles

I've just been watching this game mode on Twitch for the past hour and can't see anything that could be called enjoyable about it. Subject to change of course if when I try it's a great game, but I was hoping for something a bit more frothy and lightweight, not the same old blame game of Random battles. 

Sign in to follow this