You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Leo_Apollo11

WG's "SubOctavian" on Clan and Ranked battles overlap...

52 comments in this topic

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
3,751 posts
11,573 battles

Hi all,

WG's @Sub_Octavian on Clan and Ranked battles overlap...

About Clan and Ranked battles overlap

renderTimingPixel.pngGreetings, captains!

In 0.8.10 bulletin we announced Ranked Battles Season 14, and it overlaps with Clan Battles. Some of you, who usually participate in both activities, had concerns about that. I’d like to comment on this in more detail and explain our decision.

Clan Battles is the most competitive part of the game tailored for those who want to test their skills and play in coordinated team. From all World of Warships players, about 5% are actively participating in Clan Battles, however, this group of players is the most active and dedicated.

Ranked Battles is more like a middle ground between Random and Clan Battles. Rating system and ranked progression make this activity more demanding, but it is much more casual and accessible than Clan Battles. About 25% of players participate in it.

That means, that if we make RB and CB seasons consecutive and not overlapping it will be fine for CB players – they will always have an activity to participate. However, for those who play only RB, that will mean big gaps between seasons and less choice. That’s why RB and CB seasons overlap.

We realize that some of you feel overwhelmed by the amount of game activities because of such schedule. However, if we take all player groups into account, overlap is the best solution. The amount of new rewards in the Armory is stable, so a tight schedule with overlaps is more about the choice of activity then about the pressure to do everything. Consecutive schedule, on the contrary, limits the amount of rewards available per year, and in fact can lead to more pressure.

Nevertheless, we hear the concerns about too much events leading to a “burnout”. Although the player activity data does not show it now, we take it seriously and currently doing a dedicated research on that. It will allow us to see if these concerns are valid.

Finally, one more point for overlapping CB season 7 and RB season 14 is the fact that we don’t want to overlap these with Christmas holidays and New Year celebration.

We thank you for your attention to the game. I hope that even if you don’t agree with our reasoning, you appreciate it now and understand why we made such decision.

Good luck and fair seas!

Source Reddit: About Clan and Ranked battles overlap

Leo "Apollo11"

• Cool 3

Players
1,643 posts
3,193 battles

So basically the spreadsheet once again says everything is ok.

I never thought I would say this, but sometimes it feels like WG are giving us too much at once. It's a nice place to be, the game is full of content, but sometimes the amount of content and effort required to achieve the rewards offered seems overwhelming.

• Cool 9
  • Funny 2

[CRYO]
Players
56 posts
2,843 battles

And now factor in the massive grindfest which "Raid on filth" will be (over 100 games with above average results to get everything). But I dont complain, I like to have to do something. Like directives are getting softer each time. The italian one you get on day one and then you wait week before the next one unlocks. 

All in all, I get the reasoning behind this and I like it. After all, we dont have to do everything. If you feel like CB are your thing, just do CB and skip on ranked and vice versa. I will gladly do both :) 

[SCRUB]
Players
3,456 posts
9,313 battles

I kinda agree with the post .... give players options and do not clog the events on holidays.

• Cool 2

[SM0KE]
Players
3,600 posts
9,335 battles

It does make approximate sense, I guess. This is one of those occasions where we have to recall that most of us on the forums are not representative of the bulk of WG's customer base...

• Cool 1

[HOO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,852 posts

My reply to that "yeah, but the player is wrong"-kind of post: 

How about you (as in: "Wargaming") come up with events that cater to the WHOLE audience, and not just the players who are in the capability of spending plenty of time in the game regularly. And make your events actually interesting & engaging instead of just copy-pasting the directives of the previous patch, slap a new picture on the button, change the currencies to the new one & churn out a whole jest of new themed lootboxes. Quality >>>>>> Quantity all of the time, any time. Maybe it's time that you learn that lesson as well.

And you're right, I'm not forced to participate in any of the events you are organising, which indeed I'm not doing. Because all the events you guys came up with for the last 18 months were not meant for me anyway, since I'm not in a position to be able to play a lot or regularly/each week. Do the spreadsheets say that a player who plays 2hrs/day for 7 days a week is more valuable than a player who plays 56hrs over 4 weeks, but sometimes doesn't play for 2 weeks at a time? Because your actions sure make it look like that... It's good to read & know then that "the more casual player" or "he who doesn't log in regularly" is basically a 3rd class leech not worthy of any attention or care. I'll remember that, tyvm.

Let's go back to, let's say: the launch of the British DD's back in 2018, and then go over all the events that have since been organised. Was there anything remotely "casual" in those? Something that could be completed without cutthroat time-limits? Something that could be completed at a pace the player dictates instead of the game imposing it on them? Not that I can think of, always the same directives in 4-week intervals with 1-week time-hurdles, giving you 7 days to complete the final stage. Can't play that final week? Sucks to be you, the event has finished, you can't catch up or get any additional tokens². Better luck next event. You want that new commander that gives you some distinct advantages in the game since it has useful perks: play in that certain update, or wait an unspecified time and then be able to buy it for a ridiculous amount of another currency, that you can earn by grinding. That's the only thing Wargaming currently produces: grinds upon grinds upon grinds. And in the process taking away any leeway from the player and dictate a harsh timeline to complete those grinds in via the directives. Then you have Clan Battles, Ranked, Ranked Sprint,... all for extra resources...

But indeed, you don't have to participate, and you indeed can "just play and gather some coal & research-points", but coal is also being inflated, since there are too many events now in which you can farm coal in vast quantities, so prices of coal-items are also increased. So now we have a (placeholder?) price of 175k coal for a commander. What kind of signal do you give to the playerbase with that? "Yeah, you have the choice: either 4 weeks of non-stop & non-relenting grinding in our event OR pay an absurd sum of grind-based currency to get that commander later on". Pretty picture Wargaming paints with that, and very enticing and attractive towards the players who do not have the time to spare to be present a lot in WoWS.

(² I live in Belgium, paid lootboxes are rightfully disabled here because they are gambling. Having no paid lootboxes painfully shows how terrible & abusive events at their core became since a year and a half)

• Cool 5

[THESO]
Beta Tester
1,334 posts
9,310 battles

Sub_octavian makes sense for me. 

I sometimes wish i wouldnt be forced to play wows 2-3 hours a day to not miss out on content (occasionally we have 4 events at the same time) but 5% clan battles playerbase is not much, hardcore players will get over it, they just have to set priorities if Venezia is more important, or raiding the filth, ranked, clanbattles or god help us actually play a random game in the ship you actually like to have fun... 

• Cool 1

[CAIN]
Players
3,432 posts
12,720 battles

Since i can't play CBs, i don't mind the overlap in general.

But, this also means that during the times i'll be able to play ranked, CBs are on,  which removes basically most of the good players and leaves the ones you don not want on your team. 

[BOA2Y]
Beta Tester
4,731 posts
21,043 battles

Both are tier 10, but only one has CVs in it... WG considered that the 5% clanwar playets was too small, and found a tricky way to make more players play clanwar instead of ranked. :Smile_veryhappy:

• Funny 1

[O-R-P]
Players
511 posts
29,672 battles

Not enough they think toxic formula of ranked is ok, now they showing middle finger to people who want play cw and ranked.

Way to go, your playerbase is already mostly 45%wr drones.
Tire out last people who actually can play this game and you will have a big hapy paraolympics.

• Cool 1

Players
791 posts
14,967 battles
31 minutes ago, Leo_Apollo11 said:

about 5% are actively participating in Clan Battles

This sounds absurdly low to be honest :Smile_amazed:

[SCRUB]
Players
3,456 posts
9,313 battles
3 minutes ago, quickr said:

Actually it does reflect the "numbers" in our clan (lately).

People (including myself) have become way less active ever since the CV rework.

Coincidence? Maybe ... but I don't think so ....

• Cool 2

[DAVY]
Players
2,026 posts
10,941 battles

it would be interesting to see the drop in numbers in clan battles because clans were struggling to get a team together as some players were playing ranked (esp. since it's now 8 per squad) but i highly doubt they'll publish the numbers...

• Cool 2

Players
1,643 posts
3,193 battles
3 minutes ago, quickr said:

From all World of Warships players, about 5% are actively participating in Clan Battles...

Sounds about right, if you factor in small clans can't or won't take part, and at any time only 16 players from a single larger clan could participate.

• Cool 2

[NWP]
Players
6,856 posts
7,643 battles
6 minutes ago, quickr said:

Who knows what "actively" means. Maybe they dont count in players/Clans, who play 1game/1day per season just to get a free captain reset.

Players
1,643 posts
3,193 battles
4 minutes ago, nambr9 said:

Actually it does reflect the "numbers" in our clan (lately).

People (including myself) have become way less active ever since the CV rework.

Coincidence? Maybe ... but I don't think so ....

Burnout is a real issue too.

The shear volume of events and grinds or loot box purchases to accelerate progression, is taking it's toll. In my clan we play lots of other games together too. There is only so much WoWS the average human mind and body can cope with, before it needs a break

• Cool 2

[POP]
Players
462 posts
9,781 battles

It's ok if only 5% - the most active and dedicated players - suffer. Carry on and take your pain pills.

If the rewards income is one of the problems then combine rewards for ranked and CB. Make the player choose which activity he or she wants to participate instead of "forcing" them to play all the time.

• Funny 1

Players
791 posts
14,967 battles

If dedicated and committed players only make 5% of player base, that is kind of sad to be honest :Smile_unsure: And say a lot of the state of the game.

• Cool 3

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
3,751 posts
11,573 battles

Hi all,

26 minutes ago, quickr said:

5 minutes ago, quickr said:

If dedicated and committed players only make 5% of player base, that is kind of sad to be honest :Smile_unsure: And say a lot of the state of the game.

I don't think that @Sub_Octavian made a mistake with 5%... Clan battles are very small and even smaller part of each clan members participate...

Leo "Apollo11"

• Cool 1

[N0RSE]
Players
1,766 posts
1 hour ago, Leo_Apollo11 said:

Nevertheless, we hear the concerns about too much events leading to a “burnout”. Although the player activity data does not show it now, we take it seriously and currently doing a dedicated research on that. It will allow us to see if these concerns are valid.

Well. Im sure if WG does the numbers right they will see some changes in the player data. I mean since only in our clan most players are inactive/burned out. Most of the time we cant get a single team together for CB's and we have over 40 players. 

• Cool 1

[PUPSI]
Privateer
8,800 posts
12 minutes ago, quickr said:

I don't see the connection between being "dedicated and committed" and taking part in clan battles. Many players I know who take in clan battles aren't dedicated and committed at all, while the majority does not take part not because of issues, but simply because of not being interested in such stuff...

[ADRIA]
Players
198 posts
10,273 battles
22 minutes ago, quickr said:

Do other online games have a higher percentage than that for the same group of people, the competitive ones? What about wot?

Genuine question. I dont think its that much different. 

Players
1,643 posts
3,193 battles
9 minutes ago, Klopirat said:

I don't see the connection between being "dedicated and committed" and taking part in clan battles. Many players I know who take in clan battles aren't dedicated and committed at all, while the majority does not take part not because of issues, but simply because of not being interested in such stuff...

I read dedicated and committed as 'competitive'. In other words the top competitive clans that always participate. You know the ones I mean, they usually take part in KoTS etc too.