You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
2ndGovernor

ap and light cruisers..

36 comments in this topic

[K-W-O]
Players
6 posts
5,742 battles

Hello everyone,

A while ago the game was reasonably balanced in terms of different class ships.
Such as stone, paper, scissors.
However, with the addition of ships such as the Smolensk, the game is very disrupted in my opinion. It should not be that a light cruiser can beat a battleship 1v1.
The implementation of "light armor" has shifted completely and is wrong. A Hindenburg is now more sensitive to the average caliber AP than a Smolensk.
Or when another light cruiser makes a mistake by sailing full broadside, it cannot be punished because of the overpens..

What are your opinions?

• Cool 10
  • Boring 1

[NWP]
Players
6,857 posts
7,643 battles
12 minutes ago, 2ndGovernor said:

What are your opinions?

DDs can beat Cruisers 1v1 too.

13 minutes ago, 2ndGovernor said:

It should not be that a light cruiser can beat a battleship 1v1.

Its mostly down to the playerskill. A noob in a Smolensk will not beat a better BB player 1v1. Vice versa, a very good Cruiser player can beat BBs aswell in most other Cruiers.

15 minutes ago, 2ndGovernor said:

A Hindenburg is now more sensitive to the average caliber AP than a Smolensk.

CAs are often more vulnerable to BB AP, because they are bigger and have more armor. At the same time, HIndenburg can be (almost) immune to certain BB AP if angled properly. US CLs do have tiny citadels at the waterline aswell, yet noone complains about them:cap_hmm:

17 minutes ago, 2ndGovernor said:

I think we left that behind some time ago, way before Smolensk was added to the game.

And can we stop this Smolensk bashing at some point, and look at other problems too? Either accnowledge all, or let it be. Gets pretty annoying :cap_old:

• Cool 4
  • Boring 2

[CATS]
Players
20,525 posts
12,586 battles
20 minutes ago, 2ndGovernor said:

Hello everyone,

However, with the addition of ships such as the Smolensk, the game is very disrupted in my opinion. It should not be that a light cruiser can beat a battleship 1v1.
The implementation of "light armor" has shifted completely and is wrong. A Hindenburg is now more sensitive to the average caliber AP than a Smolensk.
Or when another light cruiser makes a mistake by sailing full broadside, it cannot be punished because of the overpens..

What are your opinions?

That Smolensk sinks easy when you hit her...

Any BB player who gets regularly beaten 1v1 vs a CL is doing it wrong.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
972 posts
2,763 battles

A lot of players seem to aim the AP too high above the waterline, when I lowered my aim my average damage went up by ±10k, I see a lot of players making the same mistake... 

Players
2,450 posts
12,235 battles
2 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

Like a BB really stands a chance against a LM Zao or Henri. Cruisers have the DMP and tools to beat BB's. 

• Cool 3

[K-W-O]
Players
6 posts
5,742 battles
21 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

Its mostly down to the playerskill. A noob in a Smolensk will not beat a better BB player 1v1. Vice versa, a very good Cruiser player can beat BBs aswell in most other Cruiers.

This was intended figuratively.

Anyway, When I aim for a smolensk with (for example)240mm ap on the waterline, I get much less pens/citadels then when I shoot at a moskva..

[NWP]
Players
6,857 posts
7,643 battles
1 minute ago, 2ndGovernor said:

Anyway, When I aim for a smolensk with (for example)240mm ap on the waterline, I get much less pens/citadels then when I shoot at a moskva..

Check the Citadel from Smolensk compared to Moskva. Or armor in general from those ships. Moskva can pretty comfortably bowtank even BBs without having the fear of getting punished too heavily. Smolensk cant. And Moskva has double the HP aswell.

Im not disagreeing that Smolensk armor is a bit questionable, but if you nerf it too much, you need to give it more HP in return. And Smolensk is not the only issue, there are many others aswell.

• Cool 4

[CATS]
Players
20,525 posts
12,586 battles
22 minutes ago, Bear_Necessities said:

Like a BB really stands a chance against a LM Zao or Henri. Cruisers have the DMP and tools to beat BB's. 

• These are not CL
  • And a Tier IX+ BB that regularly gets beaten by them 1v1 is doing it wrong too

Players
2,450 posts
12,235 battles
Just now, ColonelPete said:
  • These are not CL
  • And a Tier IX+ BB that regularly gets beaten by them 1v1 is doing it wrong too

@DFens_666 you called it!

This forum and the people in it... sweet cheeses...

• Funny 2

Players
4,773 posts
8,503 battles
58 minutes ago, 2ndGovernor said:

It should not be that a light cruiser can beat a battleship 1v1.

This statement however is way too general. If you are looking for an answer: Yes, a (any) light cruiser should absolutly be able to beat a (any) BB 1x1. And they are. However, some russian BBs are terrible to fight as a (as some) CL.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
115 posts
24,243 battles
43 minutes ago, black_falcon120 said:

A lot of players seem to aim the AP too high above the waterline, when I lowered my aim my average damage went up by ±10k, I see a lot of players making the same mistake... 

That is because 50% of the time you aim at the water line and the stupid game drops all of your shots into the sea instead of where you aim, and this has been known about for years and nothing has been done about it 

• Cool 2

[POI--]
Players
6,083 posts
7,325 battles

Every Smolensk gangsta, till BB loads HE.

May sound stupid, but in certain BBs it is a legit way to deal with the buggers. All T10 BB except Montana have the HE pen to bypass the 70 mm cit plate and if the alternative is derping a bunch of overpens into the side, a good few ships are better served just going for HE cits. Especially ships like Yamato, Conqueror or Thunderer with their insane HE alpha can potentially oneshot the Smolensk with its small hp pool.

• Cool 1

Players
1,428 posts

Deal with smolensk the same way you deal with harugumos: Caught one broadside? DON'T SHOOT! Wait for it to turn away and angle enough for your AP shells to arm. Then fire your salvo en voila, presto, no more overpens! :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1

[RBMF]
843 posts
7,234 battles

A characteristic trait not just limited to Smolensk, I've said it before and will continue to say it. World of Warships has been dumbed down excessively in my opinion, back in the day you could reliably punish other ships making mistakes and you yourself would also get punished when you make a mistake. I feel these days though players can get away with their mistakes more than not and that doesn't sit right to me. A smolensk sitting in the water broadside like a duck should be blown into the air and then sent to the bottom, but my RNG these days is absolutely shocking. And it's not just smolensk, all in all I really wish the game would be changed in a way that you can play skillfully and with certainty, right now it feels like you're rolling a dice all the time or just spamming HE, or you're the one on the receiving end of HE spam... none of which is "fun and engaging".

• Cool 2

[N0RSE]
Players
1,767 posts
25 minutes ago, GarrusBrutus said:

Deal with smolensk the same way you deal with harugumos: Caught one broadside? DON'T SHOOT! Wait for it to turn away and angle enough for your AP shells to arm. Then fire your salvo en voila, presto, no more overpens! :Smile_trollface:

This^^

Or go smaller. Like DD small. Sneak up on them and smack them with citadels. Been doing it all day. Trust me. Its funny. :Smile_trollface:

[RO-RN]
Players
608 posts
7,599 battles

Depends on the player skill floor, the battleship or cruiser that he is playing and he is playing against! But then again 1 vs 1 is extremely rare to happen in this game without other factors influencing the battle like other players! And battleships that can overmatch 30mm of armor should be able to mop the floor with any cruiser in the game! 

[HAIFU]
Players
14 posts
3,807 battles
On 10/29/2019 at 4:12 AM, ColonelPete said:

Player like you are either the ones with decent RNG on BBs or the ones who main CL`s and don`t want them to get nerfed. 

In this meta the CL`s are heavily favourised by WG. Most of the time they sit behind Island and can`t be shot at by bigger calibers because of the flat shell arc, but Smolensk/Wooster or Minotaur can. WHEN a BB finally has chance to find a CL broadside on to them, RNG can mess everything up. Yeah I mean it so much fun when you finally found that bugger and you dip crap RNG denied you to get a decent hit by screwing up you dispersion completly or only giving you overpens because the CL was too close to you aka shell went through the hull. And now you have to wait 26+ sec for you second shot while CLa/DDs vomits HE down on you. Yeah fair.....

But now the heavy CA are in the same position. Just recently I had the painful experience of this completley dumb overpen mechanic in my Prinz Eugen in a T10 match against a Wooster. Found the said Wooster in a Zyklon, broadside on within 7,5 km range with less than 15k HP left, shot the full broadside AP in his broadside. The Result; 6 Overpens ca. 5200 dmg. and the wooster accompanied by a Smolenk just melts me in under 30 sec with HE while i was Bow on, while he angled away from me where my AP cant do jackshit. In which world is this fair?

But yeah the overpenmechanic on CLs and most DDs is completley fine. But yeah I know, all the CL mains will calling me just a bad player after this . I should learn to play properly and they when they play BBs they one-shot everything at all, yeah sure.

To be honest it`s no wonder why heavy cruisers and BBs are camping at the back in the current meta.

The current meta is dumb my eyes, especially the current overpen mechanic.

But I don`t expect much from WG at this point anymore. When I look at how broken the CVs were after the Rework, how money focused for little reward they got, the crap-storm after the first release of Graf Zeppelin and her current status as well as the current powercreep, I don`t know if the just dont play their game and how to balance it or if they are just dumb as hell.

• Boring 1

[-TPF-]
Players
2,460 posts
11,108 battles

They could always make Smolensk RU server only. That would fix it. Want to play Soviet Dreamboats? That's yr server, comrade.

• Cool 3

[501L]
Players
278 posts
3,754 battles
On 10/28/2019 at 10:33 PM, MortenTardo said:

This^^

Or go smaller. Like DD small. Sneak up on them and smack them with citadels. Been doing it all day. Trust me. Its funny. :Smile_trollface:

One of my matches earlier today saw a friendly Kleber get the drop on a Smolensk and the dude just shredded him.

I've found that I tend to citadel the Smolensk at 15km and beyond in my Musashi and slightly closer ranges in American BBs since the shells still have the 'floaty diving' nature, meaning they hit enough to armour (deck and upper citadel roof) to arm. Its if you get in a close range right that because the shells go flat, it's much harder to pen. However if push comes to shove I just switch to HE for a Smol at close range, HE citadels still hurt the thing like hell and with a little luck you might blow out his torp launchers.

• Cool 2

Players
441 posts
7,683 battles
On 10/28/2019 at 7:08 PM, DFens_666 said:

And can we stop this Smolensk bashing at some point, and look at other problems too? Either accnowledge all, or let it be. Gets pretty annoying

No.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 2

[NWP]
Players
6,857 posts
7,643 battles
10 minutes ago, Starchy_Tuber said:

No.

What no? So you want to nerf smolensk, while all other CLs can stay as they are, even if they are "better" than CAs?

Clearly, you dont want balancing, you only want to hate against russian ships... way to make WG listen to you :cap_fainting:

• Cool 1

Players
441 posts
7,683 battles
32 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

What no? So you want to nerf smolensk, while all other CLs can stay as they are, even if they are "better" than CAs?

Clearly, you dont want balancing, you only want to hate against russian ships... way to make WG listen to you :cap_fainting:

I said "no".

• Funny 1

[CATS]
Players
20,525 posts
12,586 battles
5 hours ago, DKM_Medic said:

Player like you are either the ones with decent RNG on BBs or the ones who main CL`s and don`t want them to get nerfed. 

When RNG is on your side regularly, it is called skill.

[NWP]
Players
2,188 posts
14,128 battles
On 10/28/2019 at 11:20 PM, CptMinia said:

World of Warships has been dumbed down excessively in my opinion, back in the day you could reliably punish other ships making mistakes and you yourself would also get punished when you make a mistake.

That feels like ages ago. This game has been dumbing down for years now :( 

4 hours ago, DFens_666 said:

Interesting though, as his Smolensk results aren't showing the OPness

[HAIFU]
Players
14 posts
3,807 battles
34 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

When RNG is on your side regularly, it is called skill.

I can't tell if you just trying to be sarcastic or if I just read the dumbest comment in my life so far.

• Boring 1