Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
FukushuNL

Hull classification clarification

9 comments in this topic

[BODEM]
Players
519 posts
5,486 battles

Probably many already know about this, but I didn't and some other people might also go like "heh, so that's why...". It's of course about the hull classification symbols BB, CL, CA, CB, CV, DD, etc. 

I could derive CA as Cruiser Armored and CL as Cruiser Light (yes, even though later on CA was used as designation for "Heavy"cruisers and points out gun size in comparison to light cruisers), but was curious as to why Battleships had the double B, Destroyers had the double D and carriers were designated as CV. So to start with the latter, CV means Cruiser Voler from the French word for flying (Voler is "to fly). The classifications BB and DD had the double letter just to fall in line with the cruiser clasifications. I couldn't find out where the B in CB stands for, as it's explained everywhere to be the classification for Large Cruiser, so I take it that it stands for either Battle or Big, though it stands to reason it's most likely the former :) 

So yeah, nothing major, but might give some an "Ah, funny, didn't know that moment" as they move on with their day.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hull_classification_symbol

• Cool 1

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
11,843 posts
16,952 battles

I've also seen that the "V" in CV is supposed to stand for aViation since "CA" was already taken, but no conclusive sources can be found afaik.

From http://www.navweaps.com/index_tech/index_ships_list.php

The following is taken from "United States Naval Aviation 1910-1995, Appendix 16: US Navy and Marine Corps Squadron Designations and Abbreviations":

On 17 July 1920, the Secretary of the Navy prescribed a standard nomenclature for types and classes of NAVAL VESSELs, including aircraft, in which lighter-than air craft were identified by the type "Z" and heavier-than air craft by the letter "V". The reference also speculates that: "The use of the "V" designation has been a question since the 1920s. However, no conclusive evidence has been found to identify why the letter "V" was chosen. It is generally believed the "V" was in reference to the French word volplane. As a verb, the word means to glide or soar. As a noun, it described an aeronautical device sustained in the air by lifting devices (wings), as opposed to the bag of gas that the airships (denoted by "Z") used. The same case may be regarding the use of "Z". It is generally believed the "Z" was used in deference to Count Ferdinand von Zeppelin. However, documentation has not been located to verify this assumption."

• Cool 1

[DREAD]
Players
7,940 posts
5,935 battles
3 hours ago, FukushuNL said:

I couldn't find out where the B in CB stands for, as it's explained everywhere to be the classification for Large Cruiser,

As far as I know CC is the official US Navy designation - Cruiser Capital.

• Cool 1

Players
951 posts
14,846 battles

From the link El2aZeR posted, and due to the fact that there's listed CVB (as Large Carrier) there, I'm starting to suspect that the extra B unofficially became at some point a designation for ships intended for the main battle line (hence BB would mean Battleship Battle, CB would be Cruiser Battle and so on). In a book about cruisers I have, it's said that choosing CB for Alaska was to differentiate between them and the original role and performance of the Lexingtons (designated as CC before conversion) and it meant Cruiser Big as FukushuNL said, but it's not an official source.

Salute.

[BLITZ]
Modder
4,378 posts
8,054 battles
15 hours ago, FukushuNL said:

but was curious as to why Battleships had the double B, Destroyers had the double D and carriers were designated as CV

CV stands for Carrier Vessel. 

The doubled letters came from a revised hull classification system in the early 20s (I guess it was 1920 or 1921). Befor that date battleships had the "B" and destroyers a "D" and cruisers a "C". To distinguish the new ship models build under the new system, the letter just got doubled. So, every older ship had single letters, but the newer one doubles. The CC for the newer cruisers later got changed to CL and CA to describe their different roles more precisely. 

Players
4,508 posts
245 battles

I've heard that CV is actually a french designation taken by the yanks.

Not sure why they didn't just use AC or why cruiser (or any other ship type) appears before the weight/role type.

[COR3]
Players
1,017 posts
11,608 battles

Carrier Vessel Designation in the US Code stands for Cruiser Voler... it tis quiet... strange...

[BODEM]
Players
519 posts
5,486 battles
22 hours ago, principat121 said:

CV stands for Carrier Vessel. 

The doubled letters came from a revised hull classification system in the early 20s (I guess it was 1920 or 1921). Befor that date battleships had the "B" and destroyers a "D" and cruisers a "C". To distinguish the new ship models build under the new system, the letter just got doubled. So, every older ship had single letters, but the newer one doubles. The CC for the newer cruisers later got changed to CL and CA to describe their different roles more precisely. 

Yeah, that's not it, it seems :)

Sign in to follow this