Sign in to follow this  
IndiaLimaDelta

Are some BBs' citadels immune to AP bombs?

8 comments in this topic

Players
5 posts
3,975 battles

I had the feeling of observing that some BBs are harder to citadel with AP bombs than others. So I set up a training room and parked the Tier 8 - 10 ships of the Russian and French BB line to drop them with Shokaku AP bombs. While it was not really a problem to citadel the Russian Tier 8 and Tier 10, it was impossible to me to score citadel hits on the Tier 9 and all of the French BBs. I tested various altitudes and speeds, but I couldn't get anything else than regular penetrations.

What is your experience? Is it any different with Hakuryu, does it have higher penetration power with AP bombs? Which BBs seem to be immune to citadel hits in your experience?

If we can identify some ships which are (practically) impossible to citadel with AP bombs, I'd add a list in this post later.

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
11,963 posts
17,037 battles

Depends on both the target ship and the CV used.

[BOWS]
Players
69 posts
1,083 battles

the only battleship at tier 8 tech tree ship i have been unable to citadel with ap bombs with either the japanese or the german bombers is the tier 8 french battleship

[N0RSE]
Players
70 posts
11,985 battles

This is my experience playing ap bomber cv. 

French battleships: Very hard to citadel

British battleships: Hard to citadel

American battleships: Very mixed results. Maybe it differs on what battleship we are talking about?

Japenese battleships: Usually successful citadel hits

German and Russian battleships: Without a doubt the easiest to citadel.

[UAC]
Players
463 posts
1,594 battles

Hmm...French should be harder to citadel since IIRC they have multiple armored decks so bombs often don't reach citadel after activating, same goes for Izumo but it's an exception since rest of the japanese BBs are pretty easy to citadel.

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
1,770 posts
6,925 battles
5 hours ago, Nit0 said:

British battleships: Hard to citadel

With the recent ish citadel raise the Brits are equaly prone or slightly easier (when talking about the Hakury) to citadel as the Americans in my own expereince. On the tier 9-10 you can often get atleast 1 citadel in a run where as on a US it can at times just result in pens.

[N0RSE]
Players
70 posts
11,985 battles
On 11/15/2019 at 8:15 PM, ollonborre said:

With the recent ish citadel raise the Brits are equaly prone or slightly easier (when talking about the Hakury) to citadel as the Americans in my own expereince. On the tier 9-10 you can often get atleast 1 citadel in a run where as on a US it can at times just result in pens.

Good point, I have to try ap bomb British BB more and test how it goes, I didn't think about the citadel changes

Sign in to follow this