You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Major1999

Is the Genova bad ?

43 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
2,660 posts
2,865 battles

I took a Genova apart in my Exeter, without much trouble. The Genova's special SAP ammunition has to be very good to compensate for her glacial 20-second reload, and so far, I've heard or seen nothing to tell me that such is the case.

• Cool 5

Players
1,064 posts

I have both ships Genova and Exeter, I have not played Genova more than a hand full of games. 

However I like Exeter better, so far.

image.png.743e1e60b0a4b998b430e3a914b6440f.png 50 games 

[SM0KE]
Players
3,600 posts
9,335 battles
1 hour ago, Major1999 said:

Whats your opinion about the Genova (italian premium cruiser) after the release ?

So far, fine in Coop, but I would take *almost* anything else for games against real people...

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
2,956 posts
3,642 battles
1 hour ago, Major1999 said:

Whats your opinion about the Genova (italian premium cruiser) after the release ?

I like her to be honest.

Players
992 posts
7,426 battles

Against real people it has no defense. Slow torps, unreliable guns, no HE. Good against dds but the moment you shoot prepare to receive fire in buckets. Paper thin.

Again.

Pepsi like thin.

once more.

You will get penetrated a lot.

I find it can withstand one volley from some bbs. Some.

If they catch you broadside in the open. You are finished.

If they catch angled in the open. You are in trouble.

Dont brawl.

You need to approach to deal good dmg.

Big conundrum.

Nice ship with good elegant lines and yacht-like appearance.

Good angles on the mines torps.

Portable mines torps.

that move...

slow.

Big guns. unreliable AP. (Better) Use Sap.

Oh wait...

SAP sucks.

:fish_nerv:I got nothing

Could use a smoke.

A real one not this Italian copy that lasts 3 secs.

In other words, it plays like an English cruiser with big guns without smoke. Or armor. Or torps.

So basically a huge DD with very slow reload. 

Strangely I like her cuz it can give you good games with weak opposition. Way better than the Monte. Duca is perhaps a more useful ship but still meh. I wish it was better, but damn she's pretty :)

• Cool 5
  • Funny 1

Players
719 posts
9,105 battles

Its strong,but the SAP is very weak against any non DD. Might land good hits on a BB every now and then but generally not. 

Its not reliable at all.

The AP is very good though, great ballistics and good punch. Have already oneshotted a Myoko in it. 

Torps can also be useful and reload sooo fast. 

My score: 7/10

Would be 8 if SAP was good, 9 if it also had fuel smoke on top

[SWTP]
Players
1,213 posts
9,686 battles

Yes it is. Reload is painful. AP great but only on potatoes showing broadsides. SAP good on DDs, okish on not well angled cruisers and poor on angled BBs.

Actually ship is totally useless against  master-race not showing broadside. Torps are slow like reaload on main guns. Which is pathetic. Getting damage done is hard labour.

But as a compensating factor it is very easy go receive a lot of citadel damage from about anything. It has huge high above the water citadel and very poor concealment so you will get shot a lot.

TL;DR

Yes, it is bad.

• Cool 3

Players
250 posts
3,528 battles

I use SAP for destroyers and AP for everything else. I was much more frustrated when trying to use SAP for all the targets. The torpedos are weak, but you can spam them from good angles. The handling is good so you can outmaneuver planes. Currently it seems to be an acceptable ship in randoms/coop. 

• Cool 2

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
2,956 posts
3,642 battles
3 minutes ago, Ocsimano18 said:

I use SAP for destroyers and AP for everything else. I was much more frustrated when trying to use SAP for all the targets. The torpedos are weak, but you can spam them from good angles. The handling is good so you can outmaneuver planes. Currently it seems to be an acceptable ship in randoms/coop. 

Can even be quite fun as long as you don't get focused too much.

• Cool 1

Players
61 posts

The only ship I would like to use less is the Krispy Kreme. That's it. I have Emerald and would rather play her. Genova rates lower than pretty much any ship I have. I suspect LWM would rate her as 'Garbage', and consider that an insult to garbage. On the suck-o-meter, it rates only slightly better than 'black hole'.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 3

Beta Tester
4,221 posts
17,364 battles

I restarted playing my Emerald recently, and whenever meeting a Genova I'm happily giving it some citadels... so... yeah, it looks nice when it sinks :)

Players
1,370 posts
16,585 battles

It's not bad, but rather unfun and hard work. Some players will call it a bad ship. It isn't by itself. It easily amplifies bad skill and tactics.

[-TPF-]
Players
2,458 posts
11,108 battles
3 hours ago, Erinnyes2000 said:

The only ship I would like to use less is the Krispy Kreme. That's it. I have Emerald and would rather play her. Genova rates lower than pretty much any ship I have. I suspect LWM would rate her as 'Garbage', and consider that an insult to garbage. On the suck-o-meter, it rates only slightly better than 'black hole'.

Well, some people can't be pleased.

Emerald is only for the brave - although she is one of the deadliest ships of all if you can get her within torpedo range.

Genova is more of a poundshop Scharnhorst.  You need to get into brawling range, where her punchy guns will do damage, her secondaries are really quite good, and you can have torpedoes in the water against more than one target at a time. Long-range sniping and traditional cruiser play won't get you far.

Players
39 posts
12,864 battles

Is the Genova bad?

No, it's complete and utter garbage. Reload is a joke. Armor is a joke. Detection range is a joke. SAP is a BAD joke. The torps are SLOW...and so, a joke. It's only redeeming quality is...missing.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[MIAU]
Players
3,567 posts

I like her actually.

She is unforgiving if you make a mistake, as anything and anyone can hurt her badly if you make a wrong move, and you need to be aware of your ammo choice, which is kinda hard considering the extremly low reload rate for a T-V cruiser. So it takes a lot of skill, or derping enemies, to make her work.

She is certainly not a ship I would advice any new player to play with but she can be a lot of fun.

• Cool 1

[POI--]
Players
6,083 posts
7,325 battles

Absolutely worst T5 cruiser in the game. Same tier, you can do ok with AP, SAP can nuke DDs if you hit them, but dpm is terrible, the torps are terrible, consumable loadout is terrible, tankiness is nonexistent. If you want a big gun cruiser, Furutaka is much better and free (as is Genova for the event, but not afterwards). Furutaka gets good HE, superb accuracy and actual armour, while the torps are also better. Emerald, for its ammo limitations gets a deadly torp armament, actually good armour for a T5 cruiser and a great consumable loadout. Frankly, I don't see the point of Genova, but then I consider most Italian cruisers kind of too limited, when I can outplay two Trentos in a Molotov, just by knowing how to angle and load HE.

Players
39 posts
12,864 battles
48 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

Genova is more of a poundshop Scharnhorst.  You need to get into brawling range, where her punchy guns will do damage, her secondaries are really quite good, and you can have torpedoes in the water against more than one target at a time. Long-range sniping and traditional cruiser play won't get you far

And where you'll get blapped from ANY angle by ANY BB firing AP at you. Fun...

• Cool 1

[-TPF-]
Players
2,458 posts
11,108 battles
9 minutes ago, Cagliostro_chan said:

Absolutely worst T5 cruiser in the game

There's no such thing. T5 cruisers just get punished harder than any other ship or Tier in the game. As Jingles says, they are made of matches, gasoline and citadels. 

[BYOB]
Players
3,839 posts
15,755 battles

Is the  ship bad? Many people would say that Emerald is the worst T5 cruiser in the game, maybe the worst cruiser of all tiers. Let's compare Genova to it:

HP - Genova has 3000 more HP, but Emerald has heal.

Armor belt - Emerald has 6mm more belt armor.

Concealment - Emerald has a 1,6 km advantage

Rudder and Turning circle - Almost identical.

Speed - Genova is faster by 1,5 kn.

DPM (RN AP vs. SAP) - Emerald has a 9750 DPM advantage. 

Range - Genova has a 1,3km advantage plus spotter plane.

Torpedo Range - Genova is 1 km better.

Torpedo launchers - Emerald shoots 50% more torps per side.

Torpedo damage - Emerald does 6666 more damage per torpedo.

AA - Emerald has a good near AA DPS and better AA overall.

Gimmicks - Emerald has heal, smoke, and hydro, which is better than the spotter plane on Genova.

I frankly do not see Genova being better than the worst T5 CL in the game. So yes, Genova is really bad.

• Cool 5

[POI--]
Players
6,083 posts
7,325 battles
3 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

There's no such thing. T5 cruisers just get punished harder than any other ship or Tier in the game. As Jingles says, they are made of matches, gasoline and citadels. 

I mean, most of them aren't good, but some are workable and Genova is just the worst, because it can be shut down so easily.

[POI--]
Players
6,083 posts
7,325 battles
Just now, Aragathor said:

Armor belt - Emerald has 6mm more belt armor.

That's such a pointless comparison and doesn't even properly portray the superiority of the Emerald. It's like saying Stalingrad is about same belt armour as the Yoshino.

• Funny 1

[BYOB]
Players
3,839 posts
15,755 battles
Just now, Cagliostro_chan said:

That's such a pointless comparison and doesn't even properly portray the superiority of the Emerald. It's like saying Stalingrad is about same belt armour as the Yoshino.

You are right:

Spoiler

5ra7L1Y.jpg