Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Filipin00

I need help... :/

13 comments in this topic

[UAC]
Players
463 posts
1,588 battles

Hello all,

I do not consider myself to be a good player. I have less than 2k battles while some people have 10x more battles than me and in all classes of ships unlike me.

I have well understanding of dangers, tactics, plays and counterplays in pretty much all tiers (except tiers 10, I struggle when playing against them...but that's not the issue here).

What I'm having problems as a battleship player is....a bit complicated. First of all I can predict when enemy destroyers or cruisers are dropping their torpedoes even if my BB doesn't have hydro.

I know roughly where I need to shoot enemy ships depending on what type of ship it is, I know angling armor etc.

What I need help is - why do I sometimes struggle to deal damage to enemy ships. Like I can have broadside cruiser or a BB and I'd shoot full salvo and still do almost unnoticable damage.

It's not even tied to only one ship, I struggle with this in my FdG, Roma, even Nassau(I <3 Nassau) and New Mexico.....

Second thing is, I feel so helpless in my BBs, almost every battle I try to play objectives, I hate border humping and sniping from long range in my BBs, I like to be proactive and my teams are always leaving me to it, I don't have support, enemies are constantly HE spamming me and concentrating their fire on me...pretty much in every battle I spend 5 mins literally running away from the position I've chose at the start of battle trying to shake off enemy team HE spamming me and BBs citadelling me...

What am I doing wrong?? It's so annoying, I don't want to be border humper, I'm not asking now for everyone to stop what they're doing so I can kill them, I just want to have a chance of fighting back. Right now, whenever I play BBs I feel like I'm completely helpless and not able to make my contribution in battle. Is it the teams I'm getting that are simply scared of playing? Is it me trying to hard and do I actually have to be humping the border sniping in my BB?

What am I doing wrong?!?!?!?

• Cool 5

Players
593 posts
1,895 battles

@Filipin00 The game is sometimes like this recently. My suggestion is to go and look at the CCs videos on how to play (and the how it works videos), here are a few. They really helped me and i think they'll help you as well. :Smile_honoring: 

• Cool 2

[UNICS]
Players
3,744 posts
14,647 battles
24 minutes ago, Filipin00 said:

What I need help is - why do I sometimes struggle to deal damage to enemy ships. Like I can have broadside cruiser or a BB and I'd shoot full salvo and still do almost unnoticable damage.

It's not even tied to only one ship, I struggle with this in my FdG, Roma, even Nassau(I <3 Nassau) and New Mexico.....

Second thing is, I feel so helpless in my BBs, almost every battle I try to play objectives, I hate border humping and sniping from long range in my BBs, I like to be proactive and my teams are always leaving me to it, I don't have support, enemies are constantly HE spamming me and concentrating their fire on me...pretty much in every battle I spend 5 mins literally running away from the position I've chose at the start of battle trying to shake off enemy team HE spamming me and BBs citadelling me...

What am I doing wrong?? It's so annoying, I don't want to be border humper, I'm not asking now for everyone to stop what they're doing so I can kill them, I just want to have a chance of fighting back. Right now, whenever I play BBs I feel like I'm completely helpless and not able to make my contribution in battle. Is it the teams I'm getting that are simply scared of playing? Is it me trying to hard and do I actually have to be humping the border sniping in my BB?

It sounds like you're pushing into unknown territory too often, meaning you decide where you want to go, end up facing an overwhelming force (at the start of the game when the enemy ships all are alive and got their smokes ready), and having to retreat in panic.

Playing FDG, I wouldn't play for damage. I'd play it as a damage sponge and an annoying obstacle preventing the enemy push. You can decide what flank you want relatively early, but you can't push in unconditionally unless there's a very clear opportunity. I also try to see whether I'm able to support the capper with hydro and if so, I load HE and support with secondaries. If there are several HE spammers or minos around - you need to know where they are before  pushing in too close. You can push in a bit if you have a good exit plan. That way most HE spammers/minos present themselves to your team, they smoke up and you take a bit of damage moving away. You'll do this more successfully if you got a tank build. You won't do a whole lot of damage, but if you want damage, you don't sail FDG.

• Cool 1

Players
4,773 posts
8,503 battles

Maybe you got a couple of representative replays to present? makes it easier to help you, because we kinda have to guess right now, where you are going wrong. But it sounds like what  @loppantorkel says (also, that you keep predicting torps /DDs etc sounds like, as if you arent with your fleet). Follow your DDs, follow your cruisers and support them in what they are doing. In a BB you sometimes have to take paths, which you dont really want to take but you need to take. As mentioned above, you are sort of a damage sponge and keep your cruisers safe. If you are close to them, the enemys have a harder time getting to them. In return, the cruisers can support the DDs and keep them save. Both of this keeps you safe, because they will be fighting off the enemy DDs and BBs. Well, thats the theory, we all know, it doesnt always work like that but still.

Players
992 posts
7,426 battles

More players are better than me in this crazy inconsistent game mainly by being consistent. Dmg isn't always connected to this. Ships matter. Not all ships perform the same, so in this current meta for example some type of ships suffer more.

You need to learn the maps and their 'sweet' spots very well. Depending on the BB and yr ships aren't the best snipers you might have to close a bit but do it sensibly and always with one side covered by land or yr teamates (take first option.)

Dont go brawling in the first five mins. Don't go in the first ten. Approach sneakily or block a route with yr guns.

If you are focused or the team turns and runs don't be ashamed to go silent and run too. For this you need enough distance so you can disengage and do it again later. Win first and the dmg will come imo.

Focus on dangerous ships like cruisers if they are in the open. A good volley from a BB can send a cruiser to the bottom fast.

Try to have a solid plan in yr head but be flexible to adjust if the team is behaving differently. Due to the CV heavy meta you quickly know were the enemy roughly is.

Again pick a ship you perform well and work with it. Try another line, maybe you will find it more suitable to yr needs. I don't perform in a lot of ships but in some I do very well. Like the Gneiss for example. Or Dunkirk.  In others I can't do anything. Some ships are good dmg dealers and you can find this information checking stats but using yr personal experience.

Don't play a ship beyond its strengths.

Avoid being the most easy ship to shoot at finally. You may be visible due to size but you can be bothersome to approach or focus. Positioning for me is key and map awareness. Also patience. Games can turn around fast even if they appear stale cuz people tend to get anxious as the clock ticks down and do stupid stuff.

Ah, and play the other classes. See their strengths and weaknesses. This couple of weeks I'm playing CVs. DDs are the first ships I go after, usually with success but there are some captains that know how to make it difficult for me to hurt them. You can use the same thing, play the ship that gives you fits if possible and find where it lacks. So you can hurt it.

We all improve game by game. Slowly.

good luck :)

• Cool 1

Players
2,657 posts
1 hour ago, Filipin00 said:

Hello all,

I do not consider myself to be a good player. I have less than 2k battles while some people have 10x more battles than me and in all classes of ships unlike me.

I have well understanding of dangers, tactics, plays and counterplays in pretty much all tiers (except tiers 10, I struggle when playing against them...but that's not the issue here).

What I'm having problems as a battleship player is....a bit complicated. First of all I can predict when enemy destroyers or cruisers are dropping their torpedoes even if my BB doesn't have hydro.

I know roughly where I need to shoot enemy ships depending on what type of ship it is, I know angling armor etc.

To be fair, you aren't doing too badly looking at your BB stats. Maybe don't push into T9 yet and stick to 7 & 8 and gain more experience via youtube vids. From what you say, you are are maybe pushing too soon so like others have said, don't go alone and when you do make your move forward make sure you have a rough idea what you will meet up ahead...never go blind.

• Cool 1

Players
1,526 posts
10,298 battles

You're not doing anything wrong, you're certainly not doing what many here have not already done..

I applaud you for turning to members of the forum for advice...

Can I suggest that you have some practice time in COOP... practice angles of attack, fire points to get citadels, your own positioning, best firing distances... with the changes to AI, COOP is now more of a challenge than ever before.

I did that as a DD main after a very poor start to the game, and I mean absolutely dire, so taking advice I went back to basics in COOP, I learned my fire angles for torpedoes and fire angles for my guns...

I learned to vary my attack strategies and as I applied this to my random battles my successes mounted and I am now quite a lethal opponent...

• Cool 4

[UAC]
Players
463 posts
1,588 battles
14 minutes ago, Migantium_Mashum said:

You're not doing anything wrong, you're certainly not doing what many here have not already done..

I applaud you for turning to members of the forum for advice...

Can I suggest that you have some practice time in COOP... practice angles of attack, fire points to get citadels, your own positioning, best firing distances... with the changes to AI, COOP is now more of a challenge than ever before.

I did that as a DD main after a very poor start to the game, and I mean absolutely dire, so taking advice I went back to basics in COOP, I learned my fire angles for torpedoes and fire angles for my guns...

I learned to vary my attack strategies and as I applied this to my random battles my successes mounted and I am now quite a lethal opponent...

That's actually a good idea, normally I don't play COOP because of lower rewards but I might as well try, but I think a lot has to do with teams I'm getting, because more often than not my teams are all cowering on spawn while enemy teams are always dominating the whole map pretty much....

[NED]
Players
4,380 posts
12,066 battles

+1 for asking advice like that OP. Positioning is the main "art" with BB's. My rule of thumb: everything is going slow. No rush in a BB. The trick is to find the compromise between border hugging and rushing in like an ibecile. Playing BB's for me is 90% of the game time is focused on the minimap. The gun reload is 30 seconds (give or take some) anyways. So planning ahead to see what my fleet is doing pays off. Also don't necessarily shoot everything that moves in early game. You don't know how many friends that target has with him/her. Again: go slow. It often pays off to have some patience. Last but not least: there are more speeds than full stop and full speed ahead. 3/4 speed will f up lots of aims...

• Cool 3

Players
1,924 posts
5 hours ago, Filipin00 said:

I don't have support

That is pretty bad for any BB out there. Without support you are a sitting duck, effectively. With a good team everyone pretty much knows what to do, more or less, so as long as you are doing the right thing, the support ought to be there. Often that is not the case...

That's when you have to improvise. Or get lucky. In practice, unless you have a good team, it is very difficult to persuade your team members to do something. Technically speaking, it won't do you much good even if you position yourself tactically smartly, if you are without support. Might be better to stay with your team even if it gets you on the wrong bloody side of the map.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
2,660 posts
2,865 battles

One art I've been trying to master in a battleship, is knowing when to push and when to retreat. In order to tank like a proper, well, tank, a battleship should ideally be able to first take it like a boss so its allies won't have to, and then heal up a bit so that it can do it all over again. To do this efficiently, it can often be necessary to make well-timed retreat and not get back in the thick of the action until your hit point pool is back up to a reassuring level. Timing this so that you don't get citadelled to oblivion as you turn away, and also so that you have ra oute for first getting out of the line of fire and then back again in time to not let your allies hanging, is an art in itself. I'm not good enough to pull it off very well myself, but I am learning!

• Cool 1

[SHAD]
Players
943 posts
26 minutes ago, Procrastes said:

One art I've been trying to master in a battleship, is knowing when to push and when to retreat. In order to tank like a proper, well, tank, a battleship should ideally be able to first take it like a boss so its allies won't have to, and then heal up a bit so that it can do it all over again. To do this efficiently, it can often be necessary to make well-timed retreat and not get back in the thick of the action until your hit point pool is back up to a reassuring level. Timing this so that you don't get citadelled to oblivion as you turn away, and also so that you have ra oute for first getting out of the line of fire and then back again in time to not let your allies hanging, is an art in itself. I'm not good enough to pull it off very well myself, but I am learning!

I’m very good at pushing them timing the retreat to be just as my team decides to push in so  I miss all the action.

• Funny 1

Players
120 posts
9,744 battles
15 hours ago, Filipin00 said:

Do not play objectives (caps). Get that idiotic idea out of your head. Epicenter is only exception. Caps have very little impact in the game and only contribute to victory in 1/20 games. Caps generate points very slowly. You get points from sinking ships. I have played thousands of games where 3 caps have been held for a long time and still an easy loss. Your and your teams efficiency in playing their ships is the key.

I've heard so many veteran players cap worshiping and cursing me when I don't focus them. In any ship I simply focus in crushing enemy flank, sink their ships and then cap is free to be taken when they are retreating. I'm happy with my win rate and I haven't cared about caps in 4 years nor do I see any reason to care about them. Flanking has been the best military tactic since ancient times. 

Simple tips:

- Go full speed to a good position. Preferably in the flank.

- Let DDs recon. Get idea of what ships you are fighting against.

- Understand when you are supposed to defend or attack. You can't attack into 5 HE burning ships covered by DDs.

- Track enemy ships. Especially DDs in minimap.

- Try gaining map control.

- Push the flank when enemy firepower is low and DD threat is no longer there. Until then just focus in good gunnery / angling.

- Never ever expect your team to follow you. You are on your own.  

Its simply about efficiency with your ship. Kill potatoes faster than they kill you potatoes. This is the key.

Potatoes are easily scared off and make numerous mistakes. Just make sure you hit them when they are making their mistakes.

• Cool 3

Sign in to follow this