Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
mantiscore

Is this game become an overpen simulator?

40 comments in this topic

[BYOB]
Players
295 posts
3,639 battles

90% of the shells i land from long range in my repub is an overpen. It quickly becomes really annoying.

And dont tell me to jUsT gEt Close. I wish i could, bit he spammers says f off

• Cool 3

[UNICS]
Players
3,731 posts
14,610 battles
3 minutes ago, mantiscore said:

90% of the shells i land from long range in my repub is an overpen. It quickly becomes really annoying.

Getting close won't help you. I'm of the opinion that they should look at the AP mechanic and especially overpens.

• Cool 2

[LADA]
Players
329 posts
6,137 battles

Due to the way shell calcs work in WOWS - sometimes no armour = best armour. The Smolensk is a classic example where big BB shells (Republique for example) will simply not explode in the ship because it doesn't have enough armour (or internal room) for the shells to stick in the ship prior to exploding. Now while overpenetration IS a thing in real-life it isn't quite to the same degree as we see in game - a single 457mm shell would probably wreck most ships by sheer kinetic force alone without needing to explode. 

The only work-around is to wait until they angle more (but not in auto-bounce territory) or use ships that have short AP timers like the Conqueror. Getting close will actually increase your overpen rate in some cases due to a flatter shell trajectory (nearly horizontal) and the shells will be travelling at close to max velocity as well. This is why US 16" 'floaty-shells' often work better due to being slow and falling smack onto things rather than punching straight through. 

• Cool 3

[CATS]
Players
20,487 posts
12,546 battles
14 minutes ago, mantiscore said:

Adjusting your aim or target selection helps.

You are probably aiming too high. 90% is "a bit" much.

Weekend Tester
683 posts
7,365 battles

Since every server forum has the same topic in multiple threads, I do wonder if something was tweaked in the universal game settings.

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
2,936 posts
3,640 battles
2 hours ago, mantiscore said:

Try playing the Italians then, SAP doesn't overpen.

• Funny 3

[CATS]
Players
20,487 posts
12,546 battles
19 minutes ago, cracktrackflak said:

Since every server forum has the same topic in multiple threads, I do wonder if something was tweaked in the universal game settings.

We have these topics regularly for over four years...

Nothing changed.

If the number of overpens increased, ships would do less damage. That is not the case.

• Cool 1

Players
245 posts
5,970 battles
3 hours ago, mantiscore said:

you only get a citadel or some decent pens when the enemy has less than 1k health left, until then expect a lot of overpens

• Cool 1
  • Funny 4

Players
245 posts
5,970 battles
1 hour ago, lafeel said:

Try playing the Italians then, SAP doesn't overpen.

it bounces off harmlessly whilst your opponent laughs into their beer

[OSWEG]
Players
674 posts
4,994 battles
1 hour ago, ColonelPete said:

We have these topics regularly for over four years...

Nothing changed.

If the number of overpens increased, ships would do less damage. That is not the case.

Something has been feeling off thou since a few patches ago. Its possible the total damage remains the same from longer range hits or fire damage etc but BBs in general feels much less reliable. Before you could be pretty sure youd delete that broadside cruiser at close range, now you almost expect to get 5+ overpens and no citadels or full pens. Interestingly enough ships that used to be very inaccurate like the GK I trust more to do massive citadel damage than ships like Yamato and if there was a way to see how many medals youve recieved on each ships Id almost bet Ive had more devstrikes on the GK than in the Yamato.

• Cool 1

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
2,936 posts
3,640 battles
11 minutes ago, illy said:

it bounces off harmlessly whilst your opponent laughs into their beer

Not always it doesn't. But you can't deny that what I said above is true.:Smile-_tongue:

• Funny 1

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
11,945 posts
17,023 battles
1 hour ago, Karasu_Hidesuke said:

Yup. Not just overpenning the DD's, overpenning  the big ones like the Montana and such.

If you check her armor scheme you'll notice that Montana for the most part isn't much better armored than DDs.

This actually applies to a lot of BBs.

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
2,936 posts
3,640 battles
6 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

If you check her armor scheme you'll notice that Montana for the most part isn't much better armored than DDs.

People do tend to forget the "nothing" part of the "all or nothing" armor scheme.

Players
426 posts
7,656 battles
4 hours ago, mantiscore said:

Been happening for some time now sadly, WG don't give a toss and the yes-men will all just say "git gud" or something else just as trite.

Players
1,848 posts
34 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

27 minutes ago, lafeel said:

People do tend to forget the "nothing" part of the "all or nothing" armor scheme.

:Smile_unsure:

...well.. IMO it still is happening a lot more often now than before. Maybe it's a dispersion thing or something else...

:Smile_hiding:

[NED]
Players
4,379 posts
12,066 battles

Hoe rude and ignorant! It's a pen without dam simulator just as much! And yes: I know the explanations of pen without damage shots all to well: my AP shot manages to perfectly hit a slightly larger than M60 half damaged machine gun without doing collateral DMG or it pens the ship, opens the bulk heads, going left and right some corridors and happens to detonate at the toilet section in the ship, again without any collateral DMG at all. With a rough speed of 800m/s. It is really the greatest biblical wonder in this game. Yet it occurs 10 to 20 times per match!!! I call it the wows Testament.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3

Players
245 posts
5,970 battles
3 hours ago, lafeel said:

Not always it doesn't. But you can't deny that what I said above is true.:Smile-_tongue:

yes it's true and i've citdaled a tier 5 BB in my tier 6 trento using SAP. but...some games...yeah, lots of hits for not much damage

[DONLY]
Players
116 posts
2,275 battles

Its not a joke: about 70% of shells end in over pens... and if not you land 2 nice hits with somehow no damage... It just feels random. The whole game feels that way. No matter how you look at it: dispersion is random,  teammate skill is random, over pens or not is mostly random, daily containers are random... is something is this game that is not random? I like how many people call it "skill" but the only skillful things, in my opinion, are air attacks and torpedo hits (even the yolo-ones). In any other aspect, you can fail if you just have bad luck. They need to do something about how penetrations work. At the moment it feels pretty bad.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
2,936 posts
3,640 battles
4 hours ago, illy said:

yes it's true and i've citdaled a tier 5 BB in my tier 6 trento using SAP. but...some games...yeah, lots of hits for not much damage

My one game in the Trento to date did..not go well, wasn't the ship's fault though (went one way, almost entire enemy team goes the other, can't blame the ship for that)

• Funny 1

[WWGU]
Players
695 posts
12,544 battles
7 hours ago, lafeel said:

My one game in the Trento to date did..not go well, wasn't the ship's fault though (went one way, almost entire enemy team goes the other, can't blame the ship for that)

My Trento ended spectacularly as a BB salvo went for the bow to stern 'game over' penetration. 

:Smile_trollface:

• Funny 1

Players
1,179 posts
18,698 battles
20 hours ago, Gvozdika said:

a single 457mm shell would probably wreck most ships by sheer kinetic force alone without needing to explode

Punching straight through something with the shell staying mostly intact turns out to be a rather horrible way to transfer the kinetic energy.

And the energy you manage to transfer will mostly be in relatively small (but rather hot) metal fragments without the mass to do immediate and significant structural dmg on their own.

So unless you happen to punch through one or (more likely) a bunch of pivotal structural members

or something that'll cause secondary dmg like a magazine you're unlikely to cause critical harm to something as large as a warship.

As an example take USS Johnston and Gambier Bay (iirc) in the Battle off Samar, which showed a rather ridiculous endurance under the AP-shelling from the Japanese heavy cruisers and battleships.

[NWP]
Players
6,835 posts
7,602 battles
17 hours ago, ColonelPete said:

That doesnt make sense tho. If ships would die slower, the game would also run for a longer time, thus you get more time to deal damage, even if its with smaller portions at a time.

20 hours ago, mantiscore said:

90% of the shells i land from long range in my repub is an overpen.

Repu needs >70mm or armor to arm the shell. Most ships dont have that kinda armor when broadsiding, except at the Citadel. I guess, the 32mm armor of certain BBs isnt even thick enough even when angled to arm 431mm shells, before it would ricochet.

[UNICS]
Players
3,731 posts
14,610 battles
7 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

That doesnt make sense tho. If ships would die slower, the game would also run for a longer time, thus you get more time to deal damage, even if its with smaller portions at a time.

It does depend on other things as well. If the average player notice that one shell type has stopped working, he might switch to the other, thus lowering the damage output of the first one. Given the average player in wows, this might be insignificant.

[CATS]
Players
20,487 posts
12,546 battles
2 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

You must look at which ships are affected.

More overpens would mainly affect BB ability to deal damage.

When BB do less damage, then other ships, mainly cruisers, would live longer. The damage of cruisers would go up as they live longer and therefore can do more damage. The total damage in game does not really change.

When BB lose DPM, other classes increase their total damage, therefore total damage of BB goes down.

Sign in to follow this