Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
RegnumIrae

Is the Kurfurst worth the FDG grind?

10 comments in this topic

Question

[DIV-1]
Beta Tester
18 posts
2,221 battles

Heya there.

A couple days ago I got the FDG, and... yeah I'm not exactly enjoying at all. It feels slow as hell, big as an island, innacurate as crap.. yeah, well, I think we all know about the FDG already. However, I'm stuck wondering if the grind to get the Kurfurst is actually worth it or not, since I keep reading mixed things about that ship too. I can't afford a premium account and I don't have many flags/camos left, so to me it sounds like the grind would be horrible, and even more horrible when I need 20 millions to buy the Kurfurst and I've already lost 70k in two different games with the FDG, lol. I like the idea of having a big tanky ship with ok secondaries and whatnot, but it doesn't seem to fit the game nowadays. I've had two or three ok/good games with it, but... that's about it.

I know the question is kinda subjective, but I'm really confused as in what to do, so I'd like to hear some of your opinions.

Thanks.

9 answers to this question

[CATS]
Players
20,525 posts
12,586 battles

Do you want to make a lot of "Boom" "Boom" and see huge damage numbers? Then she is not for you.

Do you want to support your team and make sure that your team wins? Then she is a good choice with the second highest WR of all Tier X silver BB.

[UNICS]
Players
3,744 posts
14,647 battles

Depends on what you're asking. I play GK for fun and enjoy still enjoy the ship. It's a decent tier 10 bb for Random games if you know the game decently well. If you're struggling for funds, GK won't help you and it will probably not be enjoyable to play while losing credits every game.

I'd pick a tier where I know I can be a positive influence for the team, while earning credits and having fun. In a while you might have the funds for GK, afford a premium account and have more fun playing tier 10.

Players
719 posts
9,105 battles

It is not worth the grind, i can tell you that while i dont have the GK yet.

F der G is absolute garbage ans you do NOT want to grind it. 

Buy it and slowly get some XP, to accumulate xp over roughly two years maybe

[DIV-1]
Beta Tester
18 posts
2,221 battles

Thanks for your answers guys, seems like I'll let it be for now and perhaps get it in 90 years with some FXP. I know it's nothing new but it's rather sad to be losing money at high tiers unless you do well (or own a premium acc). Getting something like the Zao sounds interesting because I've had a lot success with the japanese cruisers but... the idea of having to grind a lot to get it and end up losing credits in quite a few games doesn't sound that appealing. I know  that's just how the WG games go, but hey. Thanks, again!

[SHAD]
Players
943 posts

If you are really struggling with the FDG take a break and come back later, try a different line.

GK is worth it:

Lots more hit points

50% more guns

Slightly better secondaries

Mine is currently the IFHE secondary build but I'm seriously considering  swapping IFHE for Fire prevention.

A years premium time is usually half price at Christmas and will make the grind a lot faster. With premium, good camo (new year streamer) and some flags I can knock out a tier 9 to 10 grind in 20-25 battles.

[DIV-1]
Beta Tester
18 posts
2,221 battles

I really wish I could grind from T9 to T10 in 20-25 battles, now I'm jelly :P

Players
3 posts
3,105 battles

in short, dont grind the german line, you're better off with the russians at the moment. but if you insist on grinding the german line, GK is a big step up from FDG, although i would argue both are not that great of a ship in general. They can be a lotta fun tho with IFHE secondaries being able to pen 32mm and melting those french and RN BBs you face but other than that, they're not that great.

[AZURA]
Players
4 posts
3,243 battles

GK was never a great ship, but she's still decent enough at holding out on her own and excels at carrying out some dangerous close-quarter maneuvers that other BBs suck at.  

Secondaries should be your secondary priority while playing a BB. Remember they're only meant to start deck fires and finish off low-hp survivors. 

Players
2,933 posts
8,435 battles

First and foremost, FP is a must.

Is a MUST.

It's in a god awful HE spam tier and it has 2 big centre locations to start fires so you need to cut one of them off with FP. It's a brick of a ship and loves to catch fire.

Secondaries or Tank.  Well Tank is better overall but for me (and quite a few) its a fun ship with secondaries due to it's potential with the built in IFHE already. It can deal with cruisers, DD's and some 32mm BB's (with it's 150 mm) without IFHE. With IFHE (so 4 captain points) means that those 128 mm can also pen.  Is that worth 4 points? Not when FP is at stake, no way sir. 

The times you use secondaries on border-hugging BB are few and fare between in tier 10 games. 

I still love the Kurf but it's old now. If you want those kinda games then she is fun, but you need to know when and when not to get really get involved. You need to understand it wins battles by taking hits for the team so if your damage adverse then don't sail this ship.  

Her guns are showing their age with ships like the Republic , Krem, Thunderer and soon to be more Russian BB have much better gun pens that can wollop cruisers. Not to mention better accuracy.

She is not competitive, but still usable in randoms.

Just beware, most i see burn to death. 

You wanna easy line? Grind the Russian one on thank me later.

I enjoyed the German BB line when it first come out, but many things have changed since.  Power creep my friend.

Sign in to follow this