You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Craaft

New player looking for an advice

37 comments in this topic

[IAMX]
Players
4 posts
439 battles

Hello Admirals!

I'm a new player looking for an advice. I got a 200% cashback coupon and now I'm looking for a way to use it efficiently. I have only 200 games played, pretty much progressed IJN up to T5 (each class).

From what have I read, T9 premium ships are supposed to be the best credit makers in game. I'm now kind of conflicted, since I'm not sure which playstyle I'll enjoy the most in future. So far I really like the CVs (and perform best with them), but these are T8s (which also makes them cheaper, so I would get less value from the coupon). Next up I would say I enjoy fast, agile ships so probably DDs or cruisers. I don't like battleship playstyle at all. Friesland seems like the best fit so far.

Alternatively I'm thinking of just getting big amount of doubloons, but you can get only premium ships up to T8 and not all of them are purchasable with doubloons (like the CVs), so it would kind of feel like a wasted opportunity. I've played WoT previously and after reaching T8~T10 battle spread, I've pretty much stopped playing low tier battles and I somewhat feel like it will be similar scenario here in WoWs. So even though I might not have enough experience to play it right away, I still want to make a purchase since I got a great deal on the table now.

Which currently purchasable premium T9 ship (Jean Bart, Friesland, Georgia, Alaska, Azuma) and/or premium T8 CV (Graf zeppelin, Saipan, Kaga) is your favorite at the current state of the game and why?

[SCRUB]
Players
3,451 posts
9,274 battles

A very subjective answers are about to appear.

What would I do? I would watch Flamus reviews on YouTube. Just put "Flamu + shipname" in search and you should get all the info you need.

• Cool 1

[THESO]
Players
488 posts
9,218 battles

Of the T9's I have Jean Bart, Georgia and Alaska, but I only have a lot of games in Jean Bart. They're all good performers, and the choice really comes down to what kind of play you like. Jean Bart is the T8 tech-tree ship Richelieu on steroids, and one of the trickier BB's to play well. 

If you like CV's, Kaga is a great choice! It has a unique play style due to the massive reserves. Play as close as you dare, and keep sending the pilots to their demise. It is the strongest of the T8 premiums after Enterprise was recently removed from sale. 

Players
118 posts
9,734 battles

Looking at your stats you are able to handle higher tiers in no time. Buy the highest tier you can get and ship you like and check reviews in youtube about their playstyles first. I would skip Alaska and Azuma. Poor DPM and average survivability.

CV downside is to end up in high tier games but you should hunt DDs anyways to help you team so you don't always end up in the AA of T10 ships and lose planes.

DD downside is that you have to rely more on your team and trust me your team is often completely useless. So if your team bails/dies you can do little on your own and you get less credits.

Many radars and CVs spotting you in T10 games and its difficult when your own team is 20km behind you running away or hiding behind islands waiting for you to carry them all in your tiny boat.

BB and CVs advantage is its effective 99% of the time in any game with long range and survivability. Damage is where you get your score and credits most of the time. 

• Cool 1

Players
1,721 posts
17,117 battles

If you plan to play the game a lot it might be worthwhile to get a year of premium account or doubloons for premium account. With premium you earn a lot of credits and XP which gives you a lot of free xp in no time to get that T9 'for free'. And if you play well you never need a ship for farming, you can just farm with your grind ships. Reserve 5k doubloons for a T10 perma camo for your favourite T10 ship (whichever it will be) and you will have a decent farm ship.

It's really hard to give you good advice on which ship to get, everyone has their own taste, play style and preferences.

• Cool 1

[N_S_F]
Players
1,032 posts
4 hours ago, Craaft said:

Hello Admirals!

I'm a new player looking for an advice. I got a 200% cashback coupon and now I'm looking for a way to use it efficiently. I have only 200 games played, pretty much progressed IJN up to T5 (each class).

From what have I read, T9 premium ships are supposed to be the best credit makers in game. I'm now kind of conflicted, since I'm not sure which playstyle I'll enjoy the most in future. So far I really like the CVs (and perform best with them), but these are T8s (which also makes them cheaper, so I would get less value from the coupon). Next up I would say I enjoy fast, agile ships so probably DDs or cruisers. I don't like battleship playstyle at all. Friesland seems like the best fit so far.

Alternatively I'm thinking of just getting big amount of doubloons, but you can get only premium ships up to T8 and not all of them are purchasable with doubloons (like the CVs), so it would kind of feel like a wasted opportunity. I've played WoT previously and after reaching T8~T10 battle spread, I've pretty much stopped playing low tier battles and I somewhat feel like it will be similar scenario here in WoWs. So even though I might not have enough experience to play it right away, I still want to make a purchase since I got a great deal on the table now.

Which currently purchasable premium T9 ship (Jean Bart, Friesland, Georgia, Alaska, Azuma) and/or premium T8 CV (Graf zeppelin, Saipan, Kaga) is your favorite at the current state of the game and why?

Friesland is not an easy rodeo to ride in @Craaft

for CV,s ask @El2aZeR

in game ship Numbers and ship facts ask @ColonelPete  and @MacArthur92

On the whole its horses for course,s, meaning missions and rank make good coin with less drama, so you might not be able to use a CV.

Generally Jean Bart for random is probably the most survivable ride.

a lot of CC content on You Tube is over a year old, and the builds are out dated so watch your builds for to-days meta, it will save you money.

I recommend watching " Sailing Robin " ( WOWS STAFF Content ) if you want to be more aggressive, and  I would watch all the CC,s ( but watch the builds )

and Finally but not least read the forum, there are very very good posters, who know what there talking about and DO NOT TAKE the Piss out of you. Do Not be frightened to ask a forum question.

Bottom line I think is

Jean Bart

Enterprise ( if you can get it )

Des Moines

Fletcher 

Good Luck

OBTW:-

Grinding the legendary modules in co-op will give you a lot of modules and xp, coin etc ~wink~ and invest in perma camos

image.thumb.png.780b0d013e7ae94920208ddb8233cb77.png

• Cool 2

Players
7,824 posts
9,498 battles

So far I really like the CVs (and perform best with them)

Keep in mind its only Hosho that is "broken tier overpowered", the higher tiers you go, the more unforgiving from novice perspective it gets.

Rule of purchasing premium ship(s) no higher than your current tier still apply. You can buy yourself any premium of course, but getting thoroughly rekt and having overall "buyers remorse" might follow:cap_tea:

For ships themselves...

Kaga would be best "novice friendly" premium CV due to obscene reserves so you can keep failing repeatedly and still get profit which is dumb design but I digress

Graf Zepp and Saipan are overall considered the worst premium carriers

Azuma is entirely rendered irrelevant as Alaska does the same things just as good while doesn't implode whenever battleship looks funny at you, also have Radar consumable as well infamous American Piercing (improved ricochet angles)

Friesland is quirky no-torp DD, relying entirely on guns to get things done. She also have subpar concealment, making molesting other destroyers... not as easy as one would like

Jean Bart and Georgia are overall solid performers, just depends what kind of gameplay you prefer.

I've played WoT previously and after reaching T8~T10 battle spread, I've pretty much stopped playing low tier battles and I somewhat feel like it will be similar scenario here in WoWs

It is even bigger issue in WoWs, as most events require tier 5+ ships, while the same events are... just easier to carry out in tier 8+ ships.

Also there is "premium permanent paint" which you can buy for almost any ship from tier 6 onwards. But the same paint also gets massive economy boosts at tier 10, turning one ship into almost premium in terms of making credits.

Which is an option, to get bunch of doubloons, buy yourself premium account and then buy premium paint on ship(s) of choice. There are also quite a number of premium ships you can buy in Armory with 25% discount, if you're looking for maximum bang per buck

• Cool 2

[KOKOS]
Players
134 posts
3,832 battles

Welcome to the forums mate! :cat_cool:

To summarize: You like to play CV, dislike to play BB and are sympathetic to fast and agile ships in general, and you want to get the most out of your coupon.

First off, I would suggest saving your money and not investing in ships that can also be acquired with free XP - this rules out the Alaska, Azuma and Friesland.

Even when you are "just" grinding a T8 premium and pushing for a 19 point captain (which you should, to generate elite captain XP), you will acquire a lot of free XP in the process, especially if you mount economic flags and camo. It's probably enough to make one of the three ships attainable for free, if you play only a few battles more, relatively speaking. From my experience, the credit earning potentials of T8 and T9 ships are fairly close as well, so in my opinion, going for a T8 is still a very valid choice, even if it's mostly credits that you are after.

If you like DDs and fast ships, the Friesland is of course tempting, but it's a very special DD that requires a certain playstyle that's better to get a hang of, when you have got more experience with the game in general, imho. Between Azuma and Alaska it's not even a contest: get the Alaska, if you want one of those two, but be aware that both ships handle more like battlecrusiers than true CA.

Still staying at Tier 9, there is also the Jean Bart and Georgia, which are both good and fairly agile BBs. If you decide to not rule out battleships completely, both are very solid choices. I love the JB personally, and it's one of my favorite ships in the game.

Anyway, going down to Tier 8, there is obviously the option to buy a CV, and here I would like to suggest the Kaga. I am a CV noob, and the Kaga is very forgiving, because even if you lose nearly all planes in all of your attack runs, you will still have so many reserves left, that you can play with full squads for the entire battle. Other than that, it's actually a fairly capable carrier, which is able to carry (pun intended) games if you put in some sweat.

As for agile ships, there are DDs and cruisers available at Tier 8, and I would suggest the Atago for a cruiser and the Cossack for a DD.

The Atago is one of the first premium ships that was added to the game, and always was a competitive ship with a good mixture of speed, agility, concealment, guns, torpedos and workable armor. It's a good allrounder that should give you solid results no matter if you are top tier or low tier. It can also work as a trainer for IJN captains, if this is your thing. Personally, I have dedicated captains in all my gold ships, because I prefer grinding elite captain XP for use in my silver ships to grinding them directly, but this is your choice of course.

The Cossack is, in my opinion, one of the best premium DDs in the game and has a deadly combination of excellent concealment, sonar and hard hitting guns. It's lacking torpedos, though, and only has one quadruple launcher. Still, in my opinion, a DD is meant to secure caps first and foremost, and with the Cossack you won't fear any other destroyer, because you can either out spot them or out damage them, and once the enemy DDs are dead, you have free reign to make the most of your few torps, which are actually fairly decent. It's also a good choice for ranked battles, if you decide to partake.

With all that said, it boils down to two choices, from my point of view:

1.) Get the Kaga.

2.) Buy Dubloons with your discount and use them to get either Atago, Cossack or both.

Hope I could help a bit. However you decide, have fun - despite some grievances, this is a great game! :)

• Cool 2

[N_S_F]
Players
1,032 posts
30 minutes ago, genosse said:

Welcome to the forums mate! :cat_cool:

Good Points and good advice,

Is Atago not a little " unforgiving " for a new player @genosse ?

• Cool 1

Players
118 posts
9,734 battles

Go for highest tier. T8 ships will get into T10 games so often it can be not so pleasant. With a T8 ship you have to play more safe and support rather than carry. Although you often have to carry in T8 ships anyways against T10. 

Personally I have bought 2 premiums. Atago and Missouri. Atago was great and I have tons of games in it. I have not touched that ship in 3 years really.

Missouri is another one. That ship only gets played when you needed to get a quick few millions. Otherwise its in the garage gathering dust. Same goes for numerous other premiums. Especially lower tiers. 

Once you have many T10 ships the lower tier ships are played only a few times if even that.

[KOKOS]
Players
134 posts
3,832 battles
13 minutes ago, 631327334013 said:

Good Points and good advice,

Is Atago not a little " unforgiving " for a new player @genosse ?

Hm, that's a really good question.

It was my first premium back in 2014 (?), and from the start I did really well in it, even though I only was at Tier 6 in the regular tree, but back then it was a different game, especially with stealth firing still being a thing.

You will get deleted easily, if you don't know how to kite and angle, that's for sure. Maybe the OP already has some experience with the other IJN cruisers he played?

Prinz Eugen is more forgiving in that regard, and also a decent ship that I like a great deal, but I think when played well, the Atago has more potential.

Many people also seem to think the PE is lacklustre, for some reason, but I cannot confirm that.

Aside from those two, the other Tier 8 options Bayard and Irian are even squishier, and I can't say much about the Wichita.

It's complicated. ;) Thanks for pointing that fact out, though - another thing that can help the OP make up his mind.

• Cool 1

Players
151 posts
4,318 battles
6 hours ago, Craaft said:

Hello Admirals!

I LOVE the kaga, I just keep getting stuck in battles with people who want to die ASAP. DD’s are best at influencing a battle (I particularly like the UK dd’s)

but tbh, I would advise waiting and getting up to t8+ with the credit grind ships before buying any premiums, t8+ is ALOT different to below it.

i’d also advise looking through ship reviews on YouTube as premiums often have ‘quirks’ that are different to the silver line ships of its equivalent tier.

my favourite premiums-

1. Kaga

2. Cossack

3. Atlanta

4. Black

Players
134 posts
5,194 battles

Personally I would say don't buy a premium until you reach that tier as I detest seeing people in the high tier premiums that don't have any idea what to do as I am sure alot of other do too. Honestly I am surprised that more people haven't told you to not buy one yet.

Yes you may appear to be doing well up to tier 5 but tier 8 and up are very different and you may become a hindrance to the team.

Just because you get a coupon for this game doesn't mean you should use it especially when they put a 3 day time limit on it to try and persuade people to make a purchase before it expires...

[JRM]
Players
3,342 posts
18,738 battles

@OP Uhuh? Such low quality bait m8, nice reroll btw

• Funny 1

Players
118 posts
9,734 battles
2 minutes ago, ReapingKnight said:

Personally I would say don't buy a premium until you reach that tier as I detest seeing people in the high tier premiums that don't have any idea what to do as I am sure alot of other do too. Honestly I am surprised that more people haven't told you to not buy one yet.

Yes you may appear to be doing well up to tier 5 but tier 8 and up are very different and you may become a hindrance to the team.

Just because you get a coupon for this game doesn't mean you should use it especially when they put a 3 day time limit on it to try and persuade people to make a purchase before it expires...

I did check his stats before suggesting. His stats looks better than the average sailors stats that have 10k games under their belt. Its quite an achievement to be "green" player after 200 games these days.

I trust he will learn this game much faster than those who have already played thousands of hours and still sail broadside.

[N_S_F]
Players
1,032 posts
24 minutes ago, genosse said:

Hm, that's a really good question.

It was my first premium back in 2014 (?), and from the start I did really well in it, even though I only was at Tier 6 in the regular tree, but back then it was a different game, especially with stealth firing still being a thing.

You will get deleted easily, if you don't know how to kite and angle, that's for sure. Maybe the OP already has some experience with the other IJN cruisers he played?

Prinz Eugen is more forgiving in that regard, and also a decent ship that I like a great deal, but I think when played well, the Atago has more potential.

Many people also seem to think the PE is lacklustre, for some reason, but I cannot confirm that.

Aside from those two, the other Tier 8 options Bayard and Irian are even squishier, and I can't say much about the Wichita.

It's complicated. ;) Thanks for pointing that fact out, though - another thing that can help the OP make up his mind.

Good Points My Friend,

Atago use to be one of Flamu,s strongest ships, the point being a High end player does well in it, However I do agree for a new player it is not an easy ship to play, I love Atago, I am not the greatest player of it, and with the current unfriendly  cruiser maps, she will bite you in the A$$ if you dont know how to use her.

Unforgiving Amour

image.thumb.png.ba6a90199cb58ec1be700395cced0fdb.png

Great Camo,s for the colectors

image.thumb.png.fe3b5d4970fafe2d63eaf7b4d165a9a5.png

Best Regards @genosse

• Cool 1

Players
186 posts
3,497 battles

The 200% cashback coupon means, that you pay the full price, but get 2 times the doubloon price of the ship on your account. That is, buying a T9 ships is very expensive. You can get a much better deal if you buy a T8 ship in the armory. You can use the 25% armory ship coupon on that. If the 200% cashback coupon is valid for doubloon purchase, then purchase doubloons. If you purchase 4000 doubloons, you should get 12000 doubloons in total, with the cashback. With the 25% arsenal ship coupon, you can have a Tier8 ship for the price of 4000 doubloons. Of course you're limited to the ship selection in the armory.

The best tier8 ships in the armory:

BB: Massachusetts (Completely different experience than the IJN line, but you need US 14 point captain, that you won't have for a long while). I personally would buy Tirpitz. It's powercrept somewhat, but still a lot of fun because of the usable torpedos. It also needs a higher point captain, if you go for a secondary build.

Cruiser: Atago (Somewhat similar to your Furutaka experience, but much better. Still if you're not a cruiser guy, then it's not for you)

DD: Cossack (This is a fun ship, nothing like the IJN DDs)

Carrier: Not in the armory.

If you want to invest in the long run, then buy more doubloons and buy 1 year premium account time at 50% cost around Christmas. This is about 12500 doubloons, as I remember, and accelerates all of your grinds (silver/coal/shipXP/freeXP/captainXP) significantly.

• Cool 2

[KOKOS]
Players
134 posts
3,832 battles
32 minutes ago, ReapingKnight said:

Well, the OP asked us which premium to buy, and not for seasoned players to cast judgement if they think it's reasonable of him to want one in the first place.

Plus, he is a WoT player, so he will be aware of the fact that, just like in WoT, high tier gameplay will be different from low tier battles, and also of the fact that, just like in WoT, he will probably manage and get into it after a short learning curve.

He is also right in his assumption that low tier premiums, just like in WoT, become kind of pointless as soon as you acquire a higher tier one, and don't make for a good long-term workhorse and moneymaker.

It's not rocket science, I think he will do just fine. ;)

• Cool 1

[KOKOS]
Players
134 posts
3,832 battles
18 minutes ago, Ocsimano18 said:

The 200% cashback coupon means, that you pay the full price, but get 2 times the doubloon price of the ship on your account. (...)

Good suggestion with regards to the economics behind all this. :)

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
61 posts
1,049 battles
33 minutes ago, Yedwy said:

wat

7 hours ago, Craaft said:

As a rather new player myself and only missing the GZ, I can clearly recommend the Kaga. My experience in higher tiers differs a lot from that in T4 and not only according to the better/more experienced players is the Kaga more forgiving, also for me as someone that is still trying to learn how to dodge Flak, approach ships correctly or struggles to torp moving and dodging targets, the big hangar, fast restoration time and good camo TBs offer some room for mistakes. The only downside I personally experienced, especially in comparison to T4, was the drastically reduced use of Attack Planes, even on DDs. According to the values, the targets she encounters and Toptier (CV-Youtuber), the rockets are just weak and lack penetration, so the gameplay is not really the same as with other CVs or on other tiers and mostly focuses around her TBs and fires with the DBs.

I had a really bad streak of defeats with Kaga, but also some enjoyable games. If you want a beginners CV, pick her, because even if the game goes bad and you do bad, WG speshul balans economy still rewards you. Other CVs like Saipan is- and seems to be really difficult to play, about GZ I dont have a lot of information. Enterprise is not for sale and probably wont be in a while.

[IAMX]
Players
4 posts
439 battles
7 hours ago, nambr9 said:

What would I do? I would watch Flamus reviews on YouTube. Just put "Flamu + shipname" in search and you should get all the info you need.

I will check out his YT, thanks! Already watched a little bit of him on twitch.

4 hours ago, Ze_Reckless said:

If you plan to play the game a lot it might be worthwhile to get a year of premium account or doubloons for premium account.

1 hour ago, Ocsimano18 said:

The 200% cashback coupon means, that you pay the full price, but get 2 times the doubloon price of the ship on your account. That is, buying a T9 ships is very expensive. You can get a much better deal if you buy a T8 ship in the armory. You can use the 25% armory ship coupon on that. If the 200% cashback coupon is valid for doubloon purchase, then purchase doubloons. If you purchase 4000 doubloons, you should get 12000 doubloons in total, with the cashback.

I'm considering this option as well.

3 hours ago, 631327334013 said:

a lot of CC content on You Tube is over a year old, and the builds are out dated so watch your builds for to-days meta, it will save you money. 

I already tried to make as much research as I could before asking. Finding outdated information is one of the reasons I asked here. Thanks for the warning.

3 hours ago, 631327334013 said:

Grinding the legendary modules in co-op will give you a lot of modules and xp, coin

I'm kind of lost here, can you elaborate a bit further?

3 hours ago, Panocek said:

Rule of purchasing premium ship(s) no higher than your current tier still apply. You can buy yourself any premium of course, but getting thoroughly rekt and having overall "buyers remorse" might follow

1 hour ago, Rionnen_marksman said:

but tbh, I would advise waiting and getting up to t8+ with the credit grind ships before buying any premiums, t8+ is ALOT different to below it. 

1 hour ago, ReapingKnight said:

I normally wouldn't be buying higher tier premium then my current tier, the incentive was initiated by getting the coupon from WG. I just don't want this great opportunity to go to waste. I still plan to progress to the high tier before fully diving into playing the higher tier premium ship.

2 hours ago, genosse said:

As for agile ships, there are DDs and cruisers available at Tier 8, and I would suggest the Atago for a cruiser and the Cossack for a DD. 

I will check those out, thanks!

Personally, I have dedicated captains in all my gold ships, because I prefer grinding elite captain XP for use in my silver ships to grinding them directly, but this is your choice of course. 

I wasn't aware of elite captain XP until now, good to know.

1 hour ago, Yedwy said:

Just curious, what makes you think I'm rerolling?

1 hour ago, Ocsimano18 said:

If you want to invest in the long run, then buy more doubloons and buy 1 year premium account time at 50% cost around Christmas.

Is the premium around Christmas purchasable with discount also with doubloons?

6 hours ago, asalonen said:

If you like CV's, Kaga is a great choice! It has a unique play style due to the massive reserves. Play as close as you dare, and keep sending the pilots to their demise. It is the strongest of the T8 premiums after Enterprise was recently removed from sale.  

3 hours ago, Panocek said:

Kaga would be best "novice friendly" premium CV due to obscene reserves so you can keep failing repeatedly and still get profit which is dumb design but I digress

Anyway, going down to Tier 8, there is obviously the option to buy a CV, and here I would like to suggest the Kaga. I am a CV noob, and the Kaga is very forgiving, because even if you lose nearly all planes in all of your attack runs, you will still have so many reserves left, that you can play with full squads for the entire battle. Other than that, it's actually a fairly capable carrier, which is able to carry (pun intended) games if you put in some sweat.

1 hour ago, Rionnen_marksman said:

I LOVE the kaga, I just keep getting stuck in battles with people who want to die ASAP. DD’s are best at influencing a battle (I particularly like the UK dd’s)

22 minutes ago, Nov_A said:

As a rather new player myself and only missing the GZ, I can clearly recommend the Kaga.

Many of you are recommending Kaga, thanks for the suggestion.

• Cool 1

[N_S_F]
Players
1,032 posts
10 minutes ago, Craaft said:

I'm kind of lost here, can you elaborate a bit further?

@Craaft

Save your money to grind a TX Line that you like and can use. After grind the legendary module for that TX ship in Co-Op getting in the process the " Booty " for the stages of " grind " BUT! Watch Flamu,s stuff on which legendary Modules are worth " THE GRIND " 1st !!!!!

You pick up on the way XP, coins, and stars for your Captain Builds

Stage 1:- ETC ETC +5

image.png.29487fccb683a8e05c55cf4da0f44091.pngimage.png.135dbef3e86c4c30383e5405cc544e75.png  

Players
186 posts
3,497 battles
1 hour ago, Craaft said:

Is the premium around Christmas purchasable with discount also with doubloons?

Last year it was, and last year there was an 50% price tag on it (both in game and in the shop) for some time (I think just after Christmas). It can be different this year, but I see no reason for WG to not give that option this year.

If you buy the Kaga, then you will have enough doubloons (with the 200% cashback) for the 1 year premium at Christmas and for an additional tier 8 ship from the arsenal (with 25% discount), which can be Cossack or Atago. I personally find Cossack to be more fun. So it depends on how much you want to fork out for the game at this stage.