Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
genosse

Changing the flag of the European tree

21 comments in this topic

[KOKOS]
Players
147 posts
3,862 battles

Edit: This is super pointless now, because I didn't know that you can change the Europe flag on the ships to the historic ones. Please go on, nothing to see here. ;)

-

I know, this is as unimportant as it gets, but does someone else think that the flag auf the European tech tree is really bland, uninspired and downright ugly?

flag_Europe_4ade911a5c2a448197620c425430bf6b9c164105c4ceb9408329cb86038dd6ba.png It's the outline of Europe. In a circle.

You don't have to have a background in graphics design to recognize, that this is the first idea someone would come up with, who got the task of designing a flag for any random country or continent.

In addition to that, I think it doesn't look like a military or national flag at all, and feels very out of place on the actual ship models in the game.

Now, of course WG didn't want to use the EU flag, because it is a political entity that doesn't neccessarily represent Europe the continent, and I am fine with that, but I think there are other alternatives:

1.) Keep the current flag for the port UI and behind the captain portraits, but give the in-game models the historical flags of their respective countries:

500px-Naval_Ensign_of_Poland.svg.png  Polish Navy ensign for ORP Błyskawica

500px-Flag_of_the_Netherlands.svg.png  Dutch Navy ensign for Friesland

2.) Design a new fantasy flag:

eu_flag1.thumb.jpg.2a4792d20b15ade9675a070437c0a445.jpg Very obvious, probably still too close to the EU, China or the USA.

eu_flag2.thumb.jpg.311e15190f9f5f6c4f852f1d56e81de4.jpg Sunset flag (occidental)

eu_flag3.thumb.jpg.73e4c702c0bc0dd42fa530ed2dae8839.jpg Something involving Bulls

eu_flag4.thumb.jpg.63104a7647a49bf33684ba923e8f1981.jpg Bigos & Frikandel (work in progress)

eu_flag5.thumb.jpg.5c33d0e38cc0061cb0c30a3e4d4fc48a.jpg Europa is a moon of Jupiter comedy option

Now, I am not a professional flag designer or something, and I don't want to imply that I can do a better job than WG, but I think there are just a lot of other options than simply chosing the outline of the continent.

Looking back at my ideas, we should probably stay with the historic naval flags, though. :cap_hmm:

What do you think? Do you like the current flag design, or do you like to have it changed some time in the future?

• Funny 1

[PUPSI]
Privateer
8,789 posts
5 minutes ago, genosse said:

but give the in-game models the historical flags of their respective countries: 

what's wrong with the current alternate options for the ships of the European tree?

• Cool 1

Players
74 posts
5,919 battles

I think the flag is fine, feel a bit bad for Iceland though.

Also you can display the actual nation flag in game, i have the dutch flag on my friesland for example.

• Cool 1

[KOKOS]
Players
147 posts
3,862 battles
1 minute ago, arctic_k said:

I think the flag is fine, feel a bit bad for Iceland though.

Also you can display the actual nation flag in game, i have the dutch flag on my friesland for example.

Now I feel really, really stupid. How do I do that? 

• Funny 1

[RO-RN]
Players
606 posts
7,582 battles

European flag is bland but then again what did you expect it? A dragon that has his hands around a black round object with rings that is orbited by other small round objects?

Or a snake around a sword that is looking straight at you? Wherever if the ship is dutch then give it dutch flag, if it is austro hungarian then do the same, if it is spanish the same etc!

[PUPSI]
Privateer
8,789 posts
2 minutes ago, genosse said:

Now I feel really, really stupid. How do I do that? 

you can select it at the bottom of the "flags" tab

• Cool 1

[KOKOS]
Players
147 posts
3,862 battles
Just now, Klopirat said:

you can select it at the bottom of the "flags" tab

Thank you, I will try that when I come home from work. :)

Players
74 posts
5,919 battles
3 minutes ago, genosse said:

Thank you, I will try that when I come home from work. :)

You can also do this for the Pan-asian tree, I have the taiwanese flag on the Yueyang I think.

• Cool 1

[KOKOS]
Players
147 posts
3,862 battles
1 minute ago, arctic_k said:

You can also do this for the Pan-asian tree, I have the taiwanese flag on the Yueyang I think.

Bildergebnis für mind blown meme

Again, thank you! :)

• Cool 1

[NED]
Players
4,380 posts
12,066 battles

The Bigos and frikandel made me raise one eyebrow. But other than that I think the EU flag is OK.

Players
969 posts
14,974 battles

The mythological bull is the best one IMO because it can combine all the references, although with some changes: drawing the whole animal in Minoan style and white (how Zeus appeared in front of Europa) heading towards the left where a green vertical stripe is (the word Europe is considered to derive from a semitic or cananite root "ereb", meaning "the (land of the) west"). Although I don't mind the lackluster inventiveness portrayed in the current design because it's simple and recognizable.

Salute.

• Cool 1

Players
548 posts
1,924 battles
1 hour ago, genosse said:

flag_Europe_4ade911a5c2a448197620c425430bf6b9c164105c4ceb9408329cb86038dd6ba.png It's the outline of Europe. In a circle.

It is a rather generous map of Europe, do Wargaming have ambitions in the Near East and North Africa? I think the last time Europe looked this big was when Mr H and Mr M were drawing it on the back of a napkin.

• Funny 4

Players
619 posts
10,082 battles
4 hours ago, arctic_k said:

I put the Taiwanese flag on all the PA DD that can have them and put the Tech tree flag on the Main Land Chinese ships just to spite their aggressive way they are stating their territorial claims.

• Cool 4

[SM0KE]
Players
3,596 posts
9,315 battles
9 minutes ago, Chaos_Umbra said:

I put the Taiwanese flag on all the PA DD that can have them and put the Tech tree flag on the Main Land Chinese ships just to spite their aggressive way they are stating their territorial claims.

Me too, for broadly similar reasons...

• Cool 2

Players
74 posts
5,919 battles
22 hours ago, Chaos_Umbra said:

I'm sure they will be devastated when they find out.

• Funny 2

[KOKOS]
Players
147 posts
3,862 battles
1 minute ago, wot_2016_gunner said:

I am totally fine with that, but I think others would disagree. The EU isn't exactly universally liked. ;)

Players
619 posts
10,082 battles
2 hours ago, genosse said:

I am totally fine with that, but I think others would disagree. The EU isn't exactly universally liked. ;)

Also it limits it to nations that are in the EU, plus the EU wasn't even a thing in 1945...

• Cool 1

Players
1,894 posts
1 hour ago, Chaos_Umbra said:

Also it limits it to nations that are in the EU, plus the EU wasn't even a thing in 1945...

Plus even Kazakhstan has a bigger navy than the EU.

• Funny 1

Players
35 posts
1,787 battles
2 hours ago, Chaos_Umbra said:

Neither is most of the Russian BB line, not that stopped then ...

Sign in to follow this