You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
PaulPKennedy

Reporting & etiquette

53 comments in this topic

Players
6 posts
3,161 battles

Hi all,

i have been playing for a while now and noticed in game chat comments like report him etc, to a player not contributing to the game. I have only ever reported someone once who torpedo me and no apology. I immediately felt guilty about doing that as heat of the moment. I have started to compliment players more when I see very good gameplay and help and coordination. I do feel frustrated by people camping, and people hanging on the edge of the map lobbing 22km shells here and there. So I guess I am asking generally when we should report a player and when you would give a definite pat on the back?

• Cool 9

[LUZ1]
Players
79 posts
7,959 battles

Good topic! 

I have been trying to give more compliments lately, as they are also visible to the person you compliment. I see them sometimes and really enjoy the extra recognition of a game well played.

I do report people sparingly without regret. Foul language on the chat and really shitty gameplay. Examples: people flatly refusing reasonable support, ships camping all game, etc. I don't report stupid mistakes as we all sometimes make those. I try to report only intentional nasty behaviour.

I rarely report afk, and really doubt if you should. But in ranked battles I do report afk, as I feel you should not play ranked if you have a risk of afk.

• Cool 6

[OGHF]
Players
902 posts
14,758 battles

As a DD getting rammed out of my smoke by a BB or even a CA  will always get a report from me.

also I will nearly always +1 to any one that plays well and is worthy of a point. 

• Cool 3

Players
4,672 posts
9,556 battles

I always try to get rid of all my compliments and don't mind using them all up in just a couple battles even. I also tend to give +1 to worthy adversaries or adversaries that really tryharded (like a while ago an enemy Alaska who succesfully managed to kite my Musashi (with another more unremarkable BB) for minutes on end and he deserved it having tried to squeeze every bit of resistance out of his otherwise pretty dire situation).

13 minutes ago, Cyclops_ said:

As a DD getting rammed out of my smoke by a BB or even a CA  will always get a report from me.

This was btw very popular in WoT back in the day! :Smile_great:

Spoiler

:Smile_sceptic:

• Cool 1

Players
1,422 posts

3.5k base xp, confederate, high calibre, kraken, 2 solo caps....

"You were reported three times" 

There are so many Salty ******** out there. 

I feel like they should implement that if you report or compliment someone it should be visible by who. Would probably make people report less and compliment more. 

• Cool 7

[MORIA]
Players
263 posts
30,312 battles
33 minutes ago, GarrusBrutus said:

I feel like they should implement that if you report or compliment someone it should be visible by who. Would probably make people report less and compliment more. 

I kinda remember you could actually see that in battle chat till about...three years ago? The very same moment the flaming would start..:)

• Cool 2

Players
831 posts
15,714 battles

I do try to compliment people who play well, especially if they outplayed me. As for reporting I wouldn't feel guilty but I only report people who truely feel deserve it such as being very rude in chat, hiding behind an island ordering everyone else what to do, or rage quitting re the match maker. 

Last night I got into a brawl with another player , he completely surprised me but I was lucky and able to angle better than him so I won the brawl - just. To his credit in open chat he said well played and took it like a grown up its such a nice change of attitude and I felt he earned a compliment for both surprising me and then reacting well when he died. 

• Cool 3

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,715 posts
12,392 battles

Reports are there as a placebo to make you feel a little better but, in all honesty, comping people feels even betterer.

• Cool 5

Players
30 posts
1,836 battles

My best game lately in a Bismark, we go for D - me and an Ibuki i believe vs an Ibuki, a Musashi and some crossfire from center map from two other cruisers. Our Ibuki gets a Musashi salvo (i was angled, he was broadside) and dies; i get fired up, damage con recovering due to 3 precedent fires; their Ibuki hides in fire and start HE spamming whilst their Musashi tries to take my other side. I seek cover behind an island, backpedalling b/c, well, HE spam, fire and not much HP...

Our Ibuki, in chat: "Bismarck, idiot, what are you doing".

I reply saying i seeked cover b/c way more HP and damage power on the Musashi and HE spam. I get no answer, acknowledgement, anything.

I eventually got lucky to citadel the Musashi on a drive by (i kept my guns aimed, held fire just for the right moment), then got the Ibuki and finished top of my team. We got the win and...

...oh, but i got my minus karma from our ibuki. B/c i'm an idiot :/

• Boring 1

Players
535 posts
9,268 battles
3 hours ago, AdrianTheImmortal said:

My best game lately in a Bismark, we go for D - me and an Ibuki i believe vs an Ibuki, a Musashi and some crossfire from center map from two other cruisers. Our Ibuki gets a Musashi salvo (i was angled, he was broadside) and dies; i get fired up, damage con recovering due to 3 precedent fires; their Ibuki hides in fire and start HE spamming whilst their Musashi tries to take my other side. I seek cover behind an island, backpedalling b/c, well, HE spam, fire and not much HP...

Our Ibuki, in chat: "Bismarck, idiot, what are you doing".

I reply saying i seeked cover b/c way more HP and damage power on the Musashi and HE spam. I get no answer, acknowledgement, anything.

I eventually got lucky to citadel the Musashi on a drive by (i kept my guns aimed, held fire just for the right moment), then got the Ibuki and finished top of my team. We got the win and...

...oh, but i got my minus karma from our ibuki. B/c i'm an idiot :/

That kind of thing really bugs me, you can talk or you can fight; it's very difficult to do both at the same time.

I don't get reported much, but when I do it's always from somebody with a <50% WR. I think they just think that's how the game is supposed to be: reporting without consequences because they probably never have any positive Karma to lose so they never notice when they themselves get reported. So as a little experiment (and bearing in mind just how useless Karma is) I've actually been complimenting the poor players on my team so that in future they have something to lose and realise the costs of abusing the reporting system. Heck, they might even improve their play in the hope of gaining more Karma!

• Cool 1

[LUZ1]
Players
79 posts
7,959 battles
3 minutes ago, DanSilverwing said:

That kind of thing really bugs me, you can talk or you can fight; it's very difficult to do both at the same time.

I don't get reported much, but when I do it's always from somebody with a <50% WR. I think they just think that's how the game is supposed to be: reporting without consequences because they probably never have any positive Karma to lose so they never notice when they themselves get reported. So as a little experiment (and bearing in mind just how useless Karma is) I've actually been complimenting the poor players on my team so that in future they have something to lose and realise the costs of abusing the reporting system. Heck, they might even improve their play in the hope of gaining more Karma!

Mwahaha, good luck with that 😉

[INTRO]
[INTRO]
Players
632 posts
12,545 battles

Report:

1: Namecalling in chatt.

2: Excessive cursing.

3: Passive gamplay. (Does nothing or close to it)

Doesn't report:

1: Teamdamage. (He already got his punishment.)

Compliments:

1: Helps in chat (Answers questions or just basic comunication/info.)

2: Tries to to the right thing. ("Good idea, too bad it didn't work out.")

• Cool 4

Beta Tester
496 posts
14,982 battles

this is called acquired helplessness ... one of the least useful aspects of the game and then dude with 3k battles need guide how-to

doesn't know when to report ... ffs really. do you know when to take a leak and how

seriously, this community is beyond help and it shows in-game ...

• Bad 3

[LUZ1]
Players
79 posts
7,959 battles
10 minutes ago, hellhound666 said:

this is called acquired helplessness ... one of the least useful aspects of the game and then dude with 3k battles need guide how-to

doesn't know when to report ... ffs really. do you know when to take a leak and how

seriously, this community is beyond help and it shows in-game ...

Had a bad day?

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
11,884 posts
16,999 battles

Pro tip:

Always report for "Misbehavior in chat", it is the only option that actually does something.

Why anyone would care about karma is beyond me.

• Cool 5

[LUZ1]
Players
79 posts
7,959 battles
23 minutes ago, hellhound666 said:

nope, just got zara from container

Enjoy :cap_rambo:

[P-W-C]
Players
5,247 posts
28,726 battles
8 hours ago, GarrusBrutus said:

feel like they should implement that if you report or compliment someone it should be visible by who.

Nah it'll be more hate after the battle in port. Not needed. 

I try to compliment good play even on enemy side, no matter if they lose or win. And report the useless ones or those who TK/AFK or if they won't support cause they're T7 on T9 battle - they even say it in chat....

• Cool 3

[LUZ1]
Players
79 posts
7,959 battles
31 minutes ago, MacArthur92 said:

I try to compliment good play even on enemy side, no matter if they lose or win. And report the useless ones or those who TK/AFK or if they won't support cause they're T7 on T9 battle - they even say it in chat....

Yeah, forgot about that 'tier fear'. Hate that.

• Cool 1

Players
544 posts
1,905 battles
37 minutes ago, MacArthur92 said:

I guess the OP is coming from the viewpoint that Karma means something and isn't just given out freely among divisions or clans like a club bonus scheme. This is a different mechanism for most players where a good (probably winning) battle can be exciting and invigorating, but still positive feedback wherever it goes is into the void, not knowing if it is appreciated or ignored. Same within the team, there is sulky indifference across the board. There is little point reporting people because they will most likely be on zero Karma anyway, and those that get positive Karma most likely don't even know. Having a rule about Karma is like having a rule or opinion about which serial killer is best, there is no moral equivalent in real life, the Karma system is irrelevant to polite society.

• Bad 1

[4_0_4]
Players
6,086 posts
12,422 battles
3 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

Why anyone would care about karma is beyond me.

I only care so I can report a few more ppl :Smile_hiding:

[P-W-C]
Players
5,247 posts
28,726 battles
45 minutes ago, 250swb said:

given out freely among divisions

In the past maybe. Now the 3 men div can give only one compliment/report. 

Beta Tester
113 posts
2,504 battles

It's more a personal experience/opinion and as already noted, pointless for the game.
Compliments are still very nice to give and I have no problem for enemy players too.

Lately instead I always run out reports using all of them on smolensk and kremlin, it's very satisfying.

Beta Tester
2,637 posts
2,855 battles

I try to give more compliments than reports, or at least that's my stated aim. Being nice in chat, or playing well, or just contributing to the game and being a good sport - it's all worthy of a compliment.

I nearly always report people who misbehave in chat. Personal insults as well as overly foul language all get reported. And let's be clear that I'm not a prude -  I'm not talking about general exclamations such as "damn" or "hell", here, but the sort of personal abuse and verbal toxicity that is intended to make others feel bad. We have a generally nice and polite community in the World of Warships, and it's up to all of us to keep it that way.

As for bad gameplay behaviour, I'm inclined to be much more careful with what to report. Being afk, for example, can easily be the result of a computer glitch or connection issues, and no one should be punished for an accident. And I wouldn't dream of reporting someone simply for making what I might consider to be an unwise tactical choice; the way I see it, it's up to everyone to try and win the battle in whatever way he or she thinks best.

To sum it up, my policy in this regard is to be generous with compliments and restrained with reports. More to the point, I only report cases of intentional misbehaviour and game sabotage. Fortunately, this sort of behaviour is still very rare in the World of Warships.

Good topic, @PaulPKennedy!

:Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1