You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Camperdown

Noob actions

90 comments in this topic

[LUZ1]
Players
81 posts
8,012 battles

I am new to this forum, so probably this has been asked before. Ignore if you wish.

What are the noobiest things you see in WoWs? And what truly annoys you?

Just a couple:

Starting hydro at 20 Kms from enemy

Firing torps from way beyond max range

Firing torps hitting team members in the back

DDs flanking to find enemy CV, not contributing in entire game and getting sunk by aircraft

DDs not even attempting cap

Entire team not attempting cap

Ships moving back at start of game (that really pisses me off)

Curious what you have seen.

• Funny 1

[N0RSE]
Players
1,766 posts

PA T10 DD's trying to torp other DD's, T10 BB's dying before the 5 minute mark, CV's doing everything they can not to spot, DD's rushing into a cap, park broadside to the enemy and smoke up. Only to then be salty in chat after he eats torps. "Nice support team". You know. Everyday stuff. 

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1

[NWP]
Players
6,856 posts
7,643 battles
4 minutes ago, MortenTardo said:

. Only to then be salty in chat after he eats torps. "Nice support team". You know. Everyday stuff. 

I had a DD once, who takes the cake:

Told him at start, we will support him at B on fault line. So far so good, we had 3 toptier ships literally next to B cap, while some enemy ships were on the other side of the B cap. What did our DD do? sail in B, shooting full broadside to several enemies. Ofc they killed him first becuase he was like 6km away. After he died, he started to flame us :cap_fainting:

• Funny 8

Beta Tester
2,660 posts
2,865 battles

Best battle chat quote ever:

- Allied player to CV: "Enemy ships incoming, CV plz move"

- CV to allied player: "You're new here, right? CV:s don't move. We've got planes."

• Cool 1
  • Funny 7

[THESO]
Beta Tester
1,334 posts
9,310 battles

- radar mino open water gunboat

- khabarovsk goes straight capping (and dies in 7.8 seconds)

- friendlies pushing me out of my smoke

- yolo T10 battleships who sail right through the middle of the map at the beginning

- reversing Yamatos at 26 km from the enemy, sniping Kurfürst at 20km

• Cool 2

[NWP]
Players
6,856 posts
7,643 battles
6 minutes ago, kfa said:

- radar mino open water gunboat 

I resent this being a noob action :Smile_hiding:

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2

[SM0KE]
Players
3,600 posts
9,335 battles
57 minutes ago, Camperdown said:

What are the noobiest things you see in WoWs?

Probably whatever I did in my last battle...!

:Smile_facepalm:

• Funny 3

Beta Tester
2,660 posts
2,865 battles
15 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

Probably whatever I did in my last battle...!

:Smile_facepalm:

Ok, I'll bite. Whatever did you do in your last battle? :Smile_Default:

• Cool 2

[JRM]
Players
3,409 posts
18,926 battles
1 hour ago, Camperdown said:

I am new to this forum, so probably this has been asked before. Ignore if you wish.

What are the noobiest things you see in WoWs? And what truly annoys you?

Just a couple:

Firing torps hitting team members in the back

DDs flanking to find enemy CV, not contributing in entire game and getting sunk by aircraft

DDs not even attempting cap

Entire team not attempting cap

Ships moving back at start of game (that really pisses me off)

Curious what you have seen.

Having 3 to 1 advantage in ships at a cap and getting farmed while the opposing flank that is in opposite situation is still alive and has the cap there...

[SM0KE]
Players
3,600 posts
9,335 battles
42 minutes ago, Procrastes said:

Ok, I'll bite. Whatever did you do in your last battle? :Smile_Default:

Depends which last battle one is talking about - as my clan will testify, I usually do something stupid most games.

Probably creeping senility...

Beta Tester
2,660 posts
2,865 battles

Fair enough! :Smile_Default:

My own "most noob" action ever? Probably this...

”We’ve sighted the Tirpitz, Captain. She’s approaching on bearing 228, just beyond the peninsula ahead.”

”Very good, CO. Take us around the peninsula, if you please.”

“Sir? We’ll be coming around no more than five kilometres from the battleship, point-blank range... our armour can’t withstand firepower of that magnitude.”

“Trust me, CO. Take us around.”

“Aye aye, Sir.”

- - - -

“Clearing the headland now, Sir. The Tirpitz has spotted us; her turrets are already turning.”

“Very good, CO. Deploy smoke, and inform the torpedo station that they may fire at will.”

“We don’t carry torpedoes, Sir.”

“...say what? But, I was informed that the Fiji carries a full set of triple-tube Mk IV torpedoes?”

“She does, Sir. This is the Belfast.”

“...ah.” (fidgets with his shirt sleeve) “I see. Well, that could have been awkward, I suppose. Good thing we’ve just deployed smoke, eh?”

“Yes, Sir. Although, if I may - that is the Tirpitz.”

“Yes?”

“She does carry torpedoes.”

“She does?”

“Yes, Sir.”

“Oh. Yes, come to think of it, I did get the memo...” (straightens his shirt sleeve) “Well, that puts a bit of a spin on things, doesn’t it, CO?”

“Yes, Sir.”

- - - -

(click--krzzzt--) “Crew, this is the Captain speaking. There isn’t much time, so I’ll make this brief. Funny thing is, when we sailed out this morning, I clean forgot which ship I’m on, ha ha, and unfortunately, this means we’re now about to get sunk. What can I say, really the most rotten piece of luck... anyway, as the saying goes - it’s time to think of England, and go down with dignity and a bit of a whistle. It’s been a privilege.” (--krzzzt--click)

- - - -

(Cut to an outside view, the camera at sea-level and approaching the ship at a tremendous speed. Somewhere, someone is indubitably playing ‘God Save the King’.)

• Funny 14

Beta Tester
1,715 posts
12,392 battles
2 hours ago, Camperdown said:

Why are these on your list?

Hydro can, and often will, be used to help screen for torps for both yourself and your team. A RN DD, for example, has hydro that lasts for 3 minutes and a lot of distance can be covered in those three minutes. The enemy "may" be 20km away at the moment it is used but it will still be running when your team gets into danger range. Plus - how do you know the nearest ship is 20km away. All you know is the nearest spotted ship is 20km away. A more "noob" thing is when ships wait until they are taking or about to take torps before they remember they have hydro.

Firing torps from beyond max range has its uses too. It can be for area denial, preemptive torping of a position you expect an unseen DD to be in or the DD player knows that, given the relative speeds of the target ship and the torps, that the target will have covered sufficient ground as to be in range by the time the torps arrive.

I've had it in the past when I have launched torps blindly without a single ship being spotted and members of my team have said in chat "WTF? noob DD" followed very closely by "Enemy DD destroyed" - How? Because I knew the map, knew the speeds of the enemy DDs, knew what routes people usually take and knew that there was a better than even chance that my torps would connect if fired at a certain spot at a certain time.

Just because you don't understand something, doesn't mean it's a mistake.

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
1,715 posts
12,392 battles
1 hour ago, Procrastes said:

Fair enough! :Smile_Default:

My own "most noob" action ever? Probably this...

”We’ve sighted the Tirpitz, Captain. She’s approaching on bearing 228, just beyond the peninsula ahead.”

”Very good, CO. Take us around the peninsula, if you please.”

“Sir? We’ll be coming around no more than five kilometres from the battleship, point-blank range... our armour can’t withstand firepower of that magnitude.”

“Trust me, CO. Take us around.”

“Ay aye, Sir.”

- - - -

“Clearing the headland now, Sir. The Tirpitz has spotted us; her turrets are already turning.”

“Very good, CO. Deploy smoke, and inform the torpedo station that they may fire at will.”

“We don’t carry torpedoes, Sir.”

“...say what? But, I was informed that the Fiji carries a full set of triple-tube Mk IV torpedoes?”

“She does, Sir. This is the Belfast.”

“...ah.” (fidgets with his shirt sleeve) “I see. Well, that could have been awkward, I suppose. Good thing we’ve just deployed smoke, eh?”

“Yes, Sir. Although, if I may - that is the Tirpitz.”

“Yes?”

“She does carry torpedoes.”

“She does?”

“Yes, Sir.”

“Oh. Yes, come to think of it, I did get the memo...” (straightens his shirt sleeve) “Well, that puts a bit of a spin on things, doesn’t it, CO?”

“Yes, Sir.”

- - - -

(click--krzzzt--) “Crew, this is the Captain speaking. There isn’t much time, so I’ll make this brief. Funny thing is, when we sailed out this morning, I clean forgot which ship I’m on, ha ha, and unfortunately, this means we’re now about to get sunk. What can I say, really the most rotten piece of luck... anyway, as the saying goes - it’s time to think of England, and go down with dignity and a bit of a whistle. It’s been a privilege.” (--krzzzt--click)

- - - -

(Cut to an outside view, the camera at sea-level and approaching the ship at a tremendous speed. Somewhere, someone is indubitably playing ‘God Save the King’.)

In my case it was charging at two BBs, a Colorado and a Nagato, with a view to passing between them in my Scharnhorst and torping both. Got to the perfect position to do so and pressed 3.

No torpedo targeting display.

WTF? Surely they haven't knocked out my torpedoes on BOTH sides???

Oh wait....

I'm in the Hood.

This is gonna hurt....

Side note - got away with it and got them both anyway. Luckily this playerbase is terrible.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 4

Players
1,370 posts
16,585 battles
1 hour ago, DFens_666 said:

I resent this being a noob action :Smile_hiding:

Seconded, radar open water gunboat mino is man-mino.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[JRM]
Players
3,409 posts
18,926 battles
1 hour ago, xxNihilanxx said:

No torpedo targeting display.

WTF? Surely they haven't knocked out my torpedoes on BOTH sides???

Oh wait....

I'm in the Hood.

This is gonna hurt....

Same thing just with a FatFred instead while I was convinced I took out Tirpitz, It was the "Damn, well - RAMMING SPEED" moment...

Players
4,556 posts
245 battles

When people decide to throw a 900 point game with all 3 caps secured because sniffing each others farts is more important.

That and the god awful players that feature in panzerknackers replays consistently.

• Funny 2

[SCRUB]
Players
3,456 posts
9,313 battles

Saying in chat (global) at the beginning of the match: "Press 3x T for free supercontainer" and watching clouds of smoke pop up in both spawns.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 6

Players
111 posts
2,625 battles

I will admit to, recently, stealthily sauntering into a cap in Minotaur, turning to give myself angles, pressed "U" to set smoke and keyed "3" to fire torpedoes into the gap between two islands as I knew a Kremlin and GK were coming through 10km away............only to wonder why nothing happened.......... as only then I realised I had switched to Des Moines!  It ended as well as you could expect! :cap_wander:

Best "noob" thing though was a guy who slaughtered me in chat for not firing HE at an Asashio I was chasing to try and win a game in the last 2 minutes, he called me everything including the "r" word, "nooby", told me to "uninstall", said he was reporting me and was generally hugely abusive, and completely failed to understand I was in Fiji!  :cap_look:

• Funny 6

Beta Tester
2,660 posts
2,865 battles

There's this Jingles video where a player in a Yueyang yolos into a cap in front of several enemy ships, unloads his full torpedo set (2x5 Mark 17 deepwater torpedoes) into the nearest ship... which is a destroyer. After watching all ten of his torpedoes pass harmlessly under the target ship, and with a lot of time suddenly and conveniently on his hands (having just gone down under a massive hail of point-blank HE ordnance), he complained bitterly and at length about how the enemy player was employing some kind of nefarious cheat or anti-torpedo hack.

A discreet profile check revealed that the Yueyang was in fact the second of only two ships that he had played in the entire Pan-Asian line; he'd apparently gotten bored after playing one low-tier destroyer and free-xp:d himself to tier X. Only to be disappointed again, obviously, but I have a feeling that that was going to happen regardless...

• Funny 2

Beta Tester
2,660 posts
2,865 battles
37 minutes ago, nambr9 said:

Saying in chat (global) at the beginning of the match: "Press 3x T for free supercontainer" and watching clouds of smoke pop up in both spawns.

Since this is just as likely to hit your allies as it is to hit your enemies, I guess it must be regarded as being against the Rules of Engagement (not to mention evil). Still, funny! :Smile_veryhappy:

Have you one of your friends tried this?

Beta Tester
2,660 posts
2,865 battles
Spoiler
17 hours ago, GarrusBrutus said:

I guess Flamu takes his games seriously.:Smile_smile:

Players
9 posts
3,208 battles

Being a rather rubbish player I recently started to play DD a lot and I guess I am guilty of most of the things mentioned. I try to cap and spot at the start of a game, and try not to die. I am finding it difficult but with reading the daft things people do I am changing the way I play a bit. Must admit the urge to go CV hunting can be hard to resist when you see an opening. As for torping my team I am guilty but always admit and apologise. That literally sinking feeling when you let torps go and your team suddenly appears the other side of an island has me in cold sweat and so ashamed!

• Cool 2