Sign in to follow this  
TohtoriP

Hipper versus Prinz Eugen 0.8.9

12 comments in this topic

[OMPG]
Beta Tester
242 posts
5,223 battles

For some very weird reason I have been enjoying my Hipper grind. The guns work pretty well with AP and nice arcs and the torps are a nice surprise when you enter suprise brawling range. Also the thing seems very tanky for a cruiser for my own playstyle. I have rudder module on it so the boat turns and thus dodges surprisingly well. And god forbid I even like it´s gun sounds... 

I watched some replays and looked up some reviews before I started the Hipper grind. I was ready for a very bad tier 8 ship but it really isn´t bad for me for some weird reason even with stock modules. For the record I liked Yorck too. MAybe my attitude with both is more of a gung-ho mentality than save HP and spam behind islands and that gung-ho makes the boats just perform for me.. I don´t know. Does anybody else here actually like Hipper?

So the question is if Prinz Eugen is very close to it by playstyle? Perhaps it is not so maneuverable and slower reload but just looking at stats I couldn´t spot much of a difference. Of course Prinz Eugen should be even tankier with more HP and repair party.

Beta Tester
2,660 posts
2,859 battles

I like my Prinz Eugen! I don't play her (him?) very much these days, but she is one fine cruiser! haven't got the Admiral Hipper, but as far as I know, those two ships are basically the same - with those not inconsequential differences that you yourself mentioned. So if you like the Hipper, I see no reason why you wouldn't enjoy the Prinz Eugen!

[N0RSE]
Players
68 posts
11,983 battles

Hipper have better reload, while Prinz Eugen have a heal. So you trade some DPM for survivability basically. There are some other minor differences too. Prinz is a good ship at tier 8, and you feel a bit safer with that heal. If you like the hipper, Prinz can be a good replacement when you are moving on to tier 9 and want to keep a hipper class ship.

• Cool 1

[N0RSE]
Players
68 posts
11,983 battles

As for Yorck, nothing wrong to like that cruiser. It's my favourite tier 7 cruiser, and I own all t7 cruisers except Abruzzi and Lazo.

• Funny 1

Players
1,363 posts
10,723 battles

Prinz Eugen is one of the better rounded premiums out there and it's been in the game for quite some time. She has its strengths and weaknesses and she is not OP stupid or overly gimmicky. Just a well rounded ship.

Having the repair party compared to Hipper is the game changer really, since you can get fire damage back whereas you will need to put fires out with Hipper sooner rather than later, because you are not getting those hp back.

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Players
19 posts
2,095 battles
On 10/22/2019 at 4:51 PM, Nit0 said:

As for Yorck, nothing wrong to like that cruiser. It's my favourite tier 7 cruiser, and I own all t7 cruisers except Abruzzi and Lazo.

I'm at tier VII in German line Cruisers...Yorck for me is a disaster. From my test drives in COOP Battles  , it seems that she is a huge gap of efficiency between ships from lower tier. Abysmal turret rotation (even with expert skilled Captain at this point) , tragic accuracy with twice worse gun dispersion than in V, VI tier Konigsberg, Nurnberg Cruisers ( Premium Graff Spee at this point is a Sniper Ship according to a dozen situations which I was able to hit a target from long distance with full focused salvo). 

How many an assist I have on this ship I can't count. This is only very weak support ship. Full focused broadside  salvo of HE have a problem to take half of HP to the destroyers..I have no such a problem with tier V, VII Cruisers . Those guns effectiveness  seem to me, are from early stage  I WW ...Sometimes I feel like not a Captain of Cruiser but like a Captain of Potato thrower..

I asked an owners of that ship in game about  opinion of it . They warned me that is a crappiest Cruiser shi*p in GER line..From my current XP on it - sadly I confirm that..

[OMPG]
Beta Tester
242 posts
5,223 battles
On 11/1/2019 at 1:00 PM, _Hegemon_ said:

I asked an owners of that ship in game about  opinion of it . They warned me that is a crappiest Cruiser shi*p in GER line..From my current XP on it - sadly I confirm that..

Well I used to own Yorck too and played 30 something games in it. I sold it only to free up port slots. The ship is fine but I guess you have better "owners" telling you otherwise.

[N0RSE]
Players
68 posts
11,983 battles

Yorck was kind of an odd duck in the German cruiser line before they buffed it's ap. These days I find it a good and fun cruiser to play. It's a very good for kiting, and the ap can be devastating against cruisers. 

My average damage in Yorck is 60k dmg after 75 battles. My highest dmg t7 cruiser is Schohrs and Helena with 69 & 70k AVG dmg. 

Out of 12 tier 7 cruisers I own, Yorck is the 5th best cruiser for me when you look at avg dmg. 

However, it's not a lot of room for mistakes. But this should not be something new for players comming from Nurnberg.

[POI--]
Players
6,080 posts
7,325 battles

Yorck is ok, Hipper and Prinz Eugen are two different kinds of underwhelming. Just, one you pay money for. I do own both and you know a ship is kinda in a bad spot when even a repair party at T8 doesn't actually make it a good ship. While Yorck still has acceptable dpm for its tier, Hipper only improves on the situational AP dpm, while the HE dpm actually decreases, making Hipper a ship that is highly useless when it comes to dealing with angled ships (at least you aren't stuck with SAP though) and Prinz Eugen has even worse reload, to get a heal. Concealment is bad on them all, speed is nothing to write home about, arnour is dependant on not facing big gun BB that overmatch you anyway and your torps can be good, but you trade so much for that, it's just not worth being a decent torp brawler. Get into a T10 match and likely that T10 BB is just going to delete you before you get close. Also, even ships like Scharnhorst can outtrade you in HE contests.

Players
2,202 posts
13,401 battles

I enjoyed the Hipper, way back.

Then i discovered most of my Hipper stats are top 5% while my very similar Chapayev stats are only top 25%.

That should really tell you all you need to know about the ship's potential.

I'll never touch it (or german cruisers) again now that I have Hindenburg.

Hipper:

image.thumb.png.9f9dbbc0a13db343f4e5fdfbf4e33cb7.png

Chapayev:

image.thumb.png.024d3e389b5bcf11f9e4f1d9d7dbd4ad.png

[OMPG]
Beta Tester
242 posts
5,223 battles
20 hours ago, GulvkluderGuld said:

I enjoyed the Hipper, way back.

Then i discovered most of my Hipper stats are top 5% while my very similar Chapayev stats are only top 25%.

That should really tell you all you need to know about the ship's potential.

I'll never touch it (or german cruisers) again now that I have Hindenburg.

Hipper:

image.thumb.png.9f9dbbc0a13db343f4e5fdfbf4e33cb7.png

Chapayev:

image.thumb.png.024d3e389b5bcf11f9e4f1d9d7dbd4ad.png

Thank you for this insight very informative.

Question: Do these stats include divisioning or are they only solo stats? I think Chapayev by nature will have more division stats because it has radar so is more viable for divisioning. And as we all know divisioning bumps at least WR quite considerably.

Players
2,202 posts
13,401 battles
5 minutes ago, TohtoriP said:

Thank you for this insight very informative.

Question: Do these stats include divisioning or are they only solo stats? I think Chapayev by nature will have more division stats because it has radar so is more viable for divisioning. And as we all know divisioning bumps at least WR quite considerably.

solo, around 40-50 games each

Sign in to follow this